lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Voodoo Vince
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-01-2005, 07:20 PM   #1
Metallus
Episodic!

Old News! LFN Staff Member Notable contributor Forum Veteran 
Voodoo Vince

Has anyone heard of, bought, or tried out this game? I found a demo for it on Crimson Skies, and I think I saw some sort of preview for it at one con or another. Seems like a decently unique platformer that people waiting for Psychonauts might enjoy. It was made by a small developer and put out by Microsoft in 2003 sometime...

Anyway, I love the concept. Since you're a voodoo doll, your special moves involve inflicting pain on yourself to defeat vast amounts of foes. The style's great, and I loved the music that played in the demo (New Orleans-y jazzy kind of stuff). From the demo, the game seems a little heavy on the "pick up 100 shiny things x or y to get z" for my taste.

Guy.

Last edited by Metallus; 03-01-2005 at 08:56 PM.
Metallus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2005, 08:50 PM   #2
Jake
INSANE

Current Game: Tales of MI
Old News! LFN Staff Member 
Voodoo Vince is pretty good but not super amazing. I mean, it's a fun little platformer but it doesn't really deliver on its potential in my opinion. That said, it is funny from time to time, and Dave Grossman apparently helped a bit with the writing of it in the later stages of development.

Visit: The International House of Mojo - Sam & Max.net - Thumbs - [url=http://www.telltalegames.com]Telltale Games
Jake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2005, 10:28 PM   #3
Bucky the Bear
Lurker

I must agree with Jake's assessment that Voodoo Vince is "a fun little platformer but it doesn't really deliver on its potential." It has good humor, good visuals, and great music and overall style, but the gameplay is just average and a little too easy, IMO. Still, for the cheap price, that it's going for, it's a pretty good game to add to your collection.
Bucky the Bear is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2005, 11:18 PM   #4
Alien426
'll take away your bucket

There's gonna be a PC game called Stubbs The Zombie. It seems to have a similar premise, but I think it has more potential. After all, zombies can do a hell of a lot of things more (and have more movies to draw inspiration from) than voodoo dolls.

Alien426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2005, 01:55 AM   #5
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
I spent about half an hour in my local Virgin Megastore playing this game. It was pretty good up until the bit where I didn't excecute the perfect jump and had to start all over again. This happened repeatedly because unless you did it exactly right, you're screwed so it became a little repetitive and annoying to say the least.

Still, quite enjoyable if your into that sort of thing.

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Psychonauts Discussion at Razputin's Domain > Razputin's Domain Forums > Whispering Rock Lakeside Chat > Voodoo Vince