lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: My Grim Fandango 2 Idea!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-02-2005, 01:57 AM   #1
Santiago C.
Rookie

My Grim Fandango 2 Idea!

Hi, I am another of you who wants desperetaly a Grim Fandango 2!!!

I know that rumors say that its not possible due to "the story", but hey, look at my idea! its cool! I hope they hear it and they use it :P

"Well, after Meche and Manny leave kissing in the train it suddendly stops. Like a savotage or something. So Manny thinks, something is going on."

Thats only the beginning, but it a great way to start, I will then post my story.

Bye!
Santiago C. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2005, 04:16 AM   #2
VampireNaomi
was a dog in earlier life

LFN Staff Member 
Are you going to make it a fanfic? I'd really love that, there are so few GF fics around.

Also, the majority of the fans around here are really anti-sequel. If you hang around long enough, they'll infect you with their pessimism. That's what happened to me.

"Oho, my sainted aunt, have I become a victim of brain fever, the curse of academia...?" -- Jonathan Crane

Sweet As Mango: Nick/Olivia all the way!
VampireNaomi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2005, 12:28 PM   #3
Tall Guy
Est. 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireNaomi
Also, the majority of the fans around here are really anti-sequel. If you hang around long enough, they'll infect you with their pessimism. That's what happened to me.
Heh, that's one the truest quotes I've heard in a long time..people sort of land on this site having just played the game and loved it, and they're all like "Whoaa GF rules, SEQUAL!!!"...Sooner or later they're knocked back down to earth! heh

Tall Guy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2006, 10:09 AM   #4
Klia
The Pitfall

Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Guy
Heh, that's one the truest quotes I've heard in a long time..people sort of land on this site having just played the game and loved it, and they're all like "Whoaa GF rules, SEQUAL!!!"...Sooner or later they're knocked back down to earth! heh
I've been knocked down pretty quick.

I'm replying as the credits are rolling. I just beat the game and I think the sequel would have to be near perfection for me to want it.

However I do think references in other Schafer games to Grim Fandango would be much loved.

I do believe there was one in the Curse of Monkey Island.
Klia is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
TheCrimsonClown
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klia

I do believe there was one in the Curse of Monkey Island.

Yes, there certainly is. And what a hilarious reference that was! lol
TheCrimsonClown is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2006, 11:17 AM   #6
Klia
The Pitfall

Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrimsonClown
Yes, there certainly is. And what a hilarious reference that was! lol
I'll see if I can dig up the picture.

I gasped when I saw it.

http://www.residivjeux.com/monkey/im...key3/manny.jpg
Klia is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2005, 08:41 PM   #7
MJ
Lemonade

LFN Staff Member 
I think that if there ever IS a Grim Fandango 2, it won't deal with Manny or Meche. They've moved on, and should really be let rest in peace

Want some funny radio plays?
Nightlight Productions
All Night Long
MJ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2005, 01:01 PM   #8
Sallim
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
I think that if there ever IS a Grim Fandango 2, it won't deal with Manny or Meche. They've moved on, and should really be let rest in peace
Yep, same here.

- supreme pleasure -
Sallim is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2005, 12:03 PM   #9
ElPistolerro
Rookie

a grim fandango with a new reaper wouldn't be that bad

I am ready to take you now...
ElPistolerro is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2005, 02:40 PM   #10
VampireNaomi

LFN Staff Member 
I have to agree with everyone else in this thread. It would be really cool to have a completely new character.

Didn't someone once share an idea of a waiter who served on a ship and then something mysterious started going on? Sallim? Or was it JofaGuht?

"Oho, my sainted aunt, have I become a victim of brain fever, the curse of academia...?" -- Jonathan Crane

Last edited by VampireNaomi; 08-03-2005 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Needs editing
Old 08-04-2005, 05:34 PM   #11
JofaGuht

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireNaomi
Didn't someone once share an idea of a waiter who served on a ship and then something mysterious started going on? Sallim? Or was it JofaGuht?
Yeah it was me. Cruising onto a page made over a year ago, it lies in this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JofaGuht
I'm in the anti-sequel group, but here's my idea.

The game would not have any of the characters from the first. But suppose you're a sailor or something on the cruise package. You could have sort of a disaster thing going. It would be broken up into four parts, but all parts should be on the ship. But the ship is becoming more decrepit and practically a whole new world every year. Your missions could be fixing the boat, and of course finding the renegade bastards who did it in perhaps a familiar port town. That's my idea, Ithink it would be cool. But still I'm against a sequel. I'm much rather waiting for Psychonauts and whatever Tim Schafer has in store next for us.
continued later....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JofaGuht
The ship keeps breaking apart so it keeps getting reconstructed...it's basically a different ship each year. Maybe in being stranded, everybody's hallucinating, so the people who rebuild it make it all abstract and crazy and stuff.
Yeah, it's a pretty sweet idea, if I do say so myself. So if anyone who's really good at making games is listening feel free to make it.

But Santiago has an idea you could work off of. Perhaps the train stops between the two worlds and you start in the 8 1/2th underworld or something cool like that.

There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2005, 02:58 PM   #12
Sallim
Forumite

It was definitively not me. But the idea sounds good!

- supreme pleasure -
Sallim is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2005, 07:34 PM   #13
ElPistolerro
Rookie

I make flash animations, and If I new how to script games in flash I'd try make a short spin off or sequel..

Old 08-04-2005, 08:12 AM   #14
Shuz

I agree about the new character. I also want it set in El Marrow, that town deserves so much more than what it got in GF1.
Shuz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-05-2005, 12:11 AM   #15
MJ
Lemonade

LFN Staff Member 
Well personally, I think the best sequel would center around a reaper named Miguel Huesos...

Nightlight Productions
All Night Long
Old 08-05-2005, 08:33 AM   #16
ElPistolerro
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
Well personally, I think the best sequel would center around a reaper named Miguel Huesos...

hehe , bones?

Old 08-05-2005, 07:41 AM   #17
Shuz

I never got around to downloading those radio shows, are they still around?
Shuz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-05-2005, 09:39 PM   #18
Santiago C.
Rookie

Santiago C.

Hey! Im ashame of you!
How are you going to say that you want a new character? Manny rulz, heīs the best, without manny itīs not Grim Fandango, I think it would suck.

After the train stops, you have to first solve how the hell to get off that train full of workers.
Into de passage you can see a light, once you get out everything in the train station is busted. When you get out you find glottis cryin (like always) and he estarts telling you what happened.
Once you her the story you ask glottis to fix up a funeral car (you can find it downstairs) and once he does it you scape to a new city....for example...hem...Villa Muertos. (deadīs village)...and so on....

Please, donīt ruin my dreams Manny is still in my heart!!!!!
Old 08-07-2005, 07:35 PM   #19
MJ
Lemonade

LFN Staff Member 
Sorry. But really, I have Manny's best interests at heart. I like the fact that the guy can move on... and really the charm and appeal of Grim Fandango lay in the world it was set in, not in the character.

ElPistolerro, you're one of the few people to catch on to that! What would you say if there was another character named Tomas 'The Red' Encion... ?

Nightlight Productions
All Night Long
Old 08-07-2005, 11:49 PM   #20
JofaGuht

I'd love to return to the Land of the Dead. I miss it very much. But I believe we should let the characters alone with their respective closure. I love Manny, but trying to rehash him in a sequel wouldn't work.

A prequel with Manny might work though.....

There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
Old 08-08-2005, 03:37 AM   #21
VampireNaomi

LFN Staff Member 
If there was a new GF game, I'd like it to be a sequel with a new character. I love Manny, but his story has been told. However, I don't think it would be too bad getting a game in which the character's adventure takes place at the same time as Manny's.

We could have an LSA agent who travels around the Land of the Dead on a secret mission from Salvador and gets caught up in other mysteries as he goes. He could easily meet Manny at one point or exchange letters with him or something.

Old 08-08-2005, 06:57 PM   #22
Santiago C.
Rookie

salvador now is dead, i think he canīt be anyones lider.
Ok, in my opinion a GM 2 with another character wouldnīt be grim fandango.
It will another game, with another name, and Iīm afraid of the new character idea, I wouldnt like lucas arts desining a different GF.
They could **** it up.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:03 PM   #23
MJ
Lemonade

LFN Staff Member 
Yeah, but you have to admit, it's the most likely thing to be done if anything.

A new character and a new name is more likely to attract a new audience, while still retaining the old Grim Fandango fans. Because it HAS been a while since Grim Fandango came out. They wouldn't make a game dependent on the previous one for it to make sense... would they?

Nightlight Productions
All Night Long
Old 08-09-2005, 05:53 AM   #24
VampireNaomi

LFN Staff Member 
Santiago, I meant that the story of the LSA agent could take place at the same time as Manny's journey, so Salvador wouldn't be sprouted yet.

I agree completely with MJ. If we, through some miracle, ever got to see another GF, it would be about a new character exactly because of the reasons you stated.

Old 08-09-2005, 07:51 AM   #25
AdventureLover
Rookie

Out of all the ideas for a sequel to Grim Fandango that I've heard mentioned, I like JofaGuht's idea with the ship the most. I could really see that working.
AdventureLover is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2005, 07:57 AM   #26
MJ
Lemonade

LFN Staff Member 
Really? So the story of a mortal finding his way to the Land of the Dead and being declared the Chosen One who will lead the way to the Gates of the Afterlife holds no interest?

Nightlight Productions
All Night Long
Old 08-09-2005, 08:17 AM   #27
AdventureLover
Rookie

'Just my opinion, but it sounds a bit cheesy.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:25 AM   #28
MJ
Lemonade

LFN Staff Member 
Ooooh. Calling Tierra de los Muertos cheesy, eh? Them's fighting words...

Nightlight Productions
All Night Long
Old 08-09-2005, 08:47 AM   #29
AdventureLover
Rookie

If you insist..
Swords, Guns, or other?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:30 AM   #30
Tavendale
Lurker

Banjos, I believe, are the traditional duelling weapons of any self-respecting lucasarts forum.
Tavendale is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2005, 01:03 PM   #31
Santiago C.
Rookie

I prefer a hand fight or PULSEADA, thats the best.
Hoho!
Ok, I will hold my opinion. Manny is the best. But if MJ says that the story would happen in another time, why are you naomi talking about a paralel time between manny?
I canīt understand you. But, well, itīs ok, I only want a new Grim Fandango, but I still think IT WOULDNīT BE THE SAME!!!!
Imagine yourself playing with Pinga Duramadre. It wouldnt be that funny.

Manny Rulz!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2005, 01:35 PM   #32
VampireNaomi

LFN Staff Member 
Erm, I think that the LSA idea could work, but I still agree with MJ's reasoning. Sorry if I was being unclear.

What I don't understand is why GF2 should be the same as the original. What's the fun in that? We can always play Manny's adventure again and again. Something entirely fresh would be nice.

Besides, the ending of the original game was perfect because Manny was able to move on after going through all that. If he was dragged into yet another adventure it would feel like all he accomplished in the first game was for nothing.

But I guess we just have to agree to disagree. Especially since it's so unlikely we'll ever see a sequel.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:05 PM   #33
Santiago C.
Rookie

ok, for me the best option would be continuing the game with glottis.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:07 PM   #34
AdventureLover
Rookie

I wouldn't mind seeing Glottis again.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:07 AM   #35
VampireNaomi

LFN Staff Member 
True, and I'd like to see what happened to Lupe. She must have had a hard time in the middle of the mess Manny left in Rubacava.

Old 08-10-2005, 02:58 PM   #36
Mr Flibble

I actually cried at the end of Grim Fandango. Well not really because my brother was watching the cutscene over my shoulder, but I didn't talk much and cried later if memory serves.
(Bye Bye Dignity!)

Anyway, I think the boat idea is pretty good, except that it'd be hard to rebuild a boat whilst sailing. And being confined to a boat would frustrate me.

I think a direct sequel would cheapen anything and everything Manny did in Grim Fandango, and Glottis...as much as I love the guy, I dont think he could be a main character in an adventure game.

People who call me 'paranoid' are probably in on the plot.
Mr Flibble is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-11-2005, 07:04 PM   #37
Santiago C.
Rookie

Im going to say it as many times as necessary... without Manny is not Grim Fandango.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:49 PM   #38
JofaGuht

If there were a sequel, I would like to finally see Puerto Zapato. The beginning of Year 3 was a real tease for a new city.

Old 08-11-2005, 08:48 PM   #39
Blow
Rookie

Quote:
Im going to say it as many times as necessary... without Manny is not Grim Fandango.
Could possibly be Grim Fandango 2 though. I can only see bringing Manny back ruining one of the best games ever. I found myself sympathising with the guy more then any other character in any game and a large number of films. Bringing him back would inevitably disappoint him, therefore it would disappoint me.

The DON is dead... The BLOW is back!! (Signature written by Gabez; redemption received)

Visit my web-site at www.thisisnotawebsite.com
Blow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-11-2005, 09:24 PM   #40
MJ
Lemonade

LFN Staff Member 
Good point. Manny would be bummed if he's delayed getting through to the afterlife.

Nightlight Productions
All Night Long
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Grim Fandango Discussion > General Forums > Land of the Dead > My Grim Fandango 2 Idea!