lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: when will it stop
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-13-2005, 05:42 PM   #1
rhinomatt
Rookie

when will it stop

if they make kotor3 when do you think they will stop the saga at?

kotor4, 5 or even 6 or more?

personaly i hope it never stops!

"the dark side leads to death and destruction but the lightside leads no where!"
rhinomatt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2005, 05:46 PM   #2
Mira Dona
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinomatt
personaly i hope it never stops!

They must never stop. Ever.

But realisticly, they'll stop when it fails to bring in enough money.

"Some see how things are and ask, 'Why?' I dream of things that have never been and ask, 'Why not?'" - Robert F. Kennedy

In my mind's eye, 3P0.
Mira Dona is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2005, 05:49 PM   #3
Snafu7
Purvayer of Truthiness

I'm happy as long as it doesn't stop now.
Snafu7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2005, 03:13 PM   #4
Soogz
Forumite

Current Game: Fifa 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgbking
I'm happy as long as it doesn't stop now.
agreed.

Soogz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2005, 05:52 PM   #5
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
I say they finsh off the third one then stop so it doesn't start to suck.

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2005, 05:54 PM   #6
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallucination
I say they finsh off the third one then stop so it doesn't start to suck.
I don't think it would suck after the third one, theres so much story potential in this saga.

But I still think they will stop after 3.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2005, 06:55 PM   #7
IndianaSolo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMoeller
I don't think it would suck after the third one, theres so much story potential in this saga.

But I still think they will stop after 3.
I think "KOTOR" will stop after the third one.

But I think (or hope) they'll make more SW RPG. But it might be under a different title than KOTOR.
IndianaSolo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2005, 07:18 PM   #8
Jamps

After the third one, they should make prequals. About the Mandalorian wars, just like how the clone wars were.
Jamps is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2005, 07:20 PM   #9
Jeff

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatter
After the third one, they should make prequals. About the Mandalorian wars, just like how the clone wars were.
This, I think, wouldn't work because everything before KotOR is already written. The cool part about KotOR is that you get to choose how the story goes, and if there were prequals, you wouldn't be able to do that.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-13-2005, 07:47 PM   #10
Commas

Location: If you're going to San Francisco, Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair...
i think this particular kotor story needs to end after three. i hope there are more kotor games, because they are very fun to play, but i want the story that started In K1 and was continued in K2, the story of Revan and the Exile, to end at K3. If they try to draw this story out any longer than that it will be too long. Besides, star wars comes in sets of three.

Zaphod Beeblebrox is my hero
DOWNLOAD THE STUFF I MADE!
Commas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2005, 08:07 PM   #11
Smilodon
Rookie

They have to do at least one part to finish the storyline about Revan, the Exile and the true Sith, though I hope the devs will create more
Smilodon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2005, 08:28 PM   #12
dale03ster
Rookie

I like the Kotor series, but it will be time to stop after Kotor 3.
I'd like to have another game like kotor but with a new story, possibly halfway between kotor and the star wars movies...

Featuring a reformed republic under attack, who knows, only time will tell...
dale03ster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2005, 08:55 PM   #13
JoshVoidstalker
Rookie

yes, after the end of the current KOTOR trilogy, it will be time for a new one. How about KOTNR: Knights of the New Republic?

Cheers
-Josh Voidstalker, USA, IRR

"Ancient weapons and hokey religions are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."
"If that's a Star Destroyer, I don't want to see a Star Battleship!"
"Beer is proof that God is good, and loves mankind"
JoshVoidstalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2005, 09:00 PM   #14
Snafu7
Purvayer of Truthiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshVoidstalker
yes, after the end of the current KOTOR trilogy, it will be time for a new one. How about KOTNR: Knights of the New Republic?
Honestly I wouldn't mind something like that happening after they finish off the KotOR series, good idea.
Snafu7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2005, 09:21 PM   #15
IndianaSolo
Rookie

Quote:
See my non-Force user PC thread.

That's what I'd like to see after the KOTOR series is finished.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:24 PM   #16
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
If there's a single Yuuzhan Vong, it'll suck.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2005, 03:53 PM   #17
Jennaida
Rookie

Current Game: Star Trek Online
Quote:
Certainly what I want to see. And for the one who commented about the YV, well, there's plenty of stuff a KotNR could do, without ever having to see a single one of them.
Jennaida is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2005, 08:03 AM   #18
Bastila
Forumite

I think they will stop after 3 even tho i could gone on, but maby change the time in what its set in.

Bastila is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2005, 08:33 AM   #19
darth_relish
Lurker

i recon they should make 2 more one invloving revans future and the other the exile or make it so that the 2 are like somewhat conected except u can play as both
darth_relish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2005, 04:45 PM   #20
IndianaSolo
Rookie

About the KoTNR idea:

If they do decide to make games in that era, I hope that they'll place it atleast 100 or more years after the NJO books. That way we won't be running in to Luke Skywalker and his family, and we won't have to worry about continuity issues. Also, it allows the story writer complete freedom to craft his own story. That's always been the beauty behind the KOTOR series. It's far enough before the movies that the writers could come up with almost anything they wanted to without worrying "how does this fit with what we saw in the movies".
Old 08-15-2005, 03:26 PM   #21
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSolo
About the KoTNR idea:

If they do decide to make games in that era, I hope that they'll place it atleast 100 or more years after the NJO books. That way we won't be running in to Luke Skywalker and his family, and we won't have to worry about continuity issues. Also, it allows the story writer complete freedom to craft his own story. That's always been the beauty behind the KOTOR series. It's far enough before the movies that the writers could come up with almost anything they wanted to without worrying "how does this fit with what we saw in the movies".
The only problem with that is that there is no continuity at all in place for that timeframe, which is something that would be hard to flesh out as far and Lucasarts is concerned. Then all the books, etc. that cover that era in the future would have to tie into it, and I'm not sure they want to have to make those decisions right now. The nice thing about the KOTOR era is that there was already established lore for that time period to build on, but not enough to limit the game story choices too much.

Plus, having lots of Sith in the NR era (or 100+ years thereafter) is impossible since they have been destroyed. So who would the bad guys be? The Empire is gone by then. One big reason why KOTOR works is that everything is familiar and has links to the films. A 100 year later game wouldn't have that as much...

I think that the reasons why thousands of years before the Empire is the best timeframe are still true, especially if the Jedi are going to be the focal point (which is what the majority wants). Not to say that I would be against RPGs in other eras, but they would be limited story-wise. I think the second best option would be the Imperial era, and have non-Jedi characters. That would never happen though...

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2005, 01:41 PM   #22
IndianaSolo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
The only problem with that is that there is no continuity at all in place for that timeframe, which is something that would be hard to flesh out as far and Lucasarts is concerned. Then all the books, etc. that cover that era in the future would have to tie into it, and I'm not sure they want to have to make those decisions right now. The nice thing about the KOTOR era is that there was already established lore for that time period to build on, but not enough to limit the game story choices too much.

Plus, having lots of Sith in the NR era (or 100+ years thereafter) is impossible since they have been destroyed. So who would the bad guys be? The Empire is gone by then. One big reason why KOTOR works is that everything is familiar and has links to the films. A 100 year later game wouldn't have that as much...

I think that the reasons why thousands of years before the Empire is the best timeframe are still true, especially if the Jedi are going to be the focal point (which is what the majority wants). Not to say that I would be against RPGs in other eras, but they would be limited story-wise. I think the second best option would be the Imperial era, and have non-Jedi characters. That would never happen though...
True. Although you could argue that gives the developers even more freedom for creating their own antagonist. They could come up with something that we don't even know about that spawned from the Unknown Regions and there wouldn't be any continuity-lawyers claiming they messed up.

Also, keep in mind although I said 100 years, I actually ammended that to similar to KOTOR's 4000 years, except in the future. With that in mind, I can't see books being made that far into the future. As it is, the current book timeline has us at 35 years after A New Hope. And these books have been going strong for over a decade now. So it's going to take an AWFUL long time until they reach 4000 years after ANH and have to worry about messing with continuity.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:47 PM   #23
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Maybe 500 years. 100 years is pretty short.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2005, 09:11 PM   #24
IndianaSolo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeiamyourdad
Maybe 500 years. 100 years is pretty short.
That's why I said atleast. :P

I was actually thinking similar to KOTOR, something like 3000 or 4000 years ahead.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:19 AM   #25
rhinomatt
Rookie

i want there to be at lest 6 kotor before though!

"the dark side leads to death and destruction but the lightside leads no where!"
rhinomatt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2005, 04:05 AM   #26
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

I personally think there should be three and any more games should carry a different name. Something shoter than kotor, though. The Clone Wars, the First Sith War and the Mandalorian War have a lot of potential. Hey, we can learn more about Jolee and his gal!

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2005, 06:08 AM   #27
Sivy
coming soon

Forum Veteran 
i think 3 will be the last kotOR, but it wont be the last star wars RPG.
Sivy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2005, 08:46 AM   #28
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivy
i think 3 will be the last kotOR, but it wont be the last star wars RPG.
I think that is the most likely scenario...

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2005, 08:39 AM   #29
Aleggy

ok i think that it'll either end with 3 as sw seems to like trilogies or it'll be 6 so that it'll be a saga like the films

the idea of doing prequals set in the mandalorian wars is a good idea but not as a kotor game, something similar to battlefrontbut not an rpg like the kotor games

So long and thanks for all the fish

I pity the fools who have not played kotor
Aleggy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2005, 02:14 PM   #30
starmark2k
Someone's Worse Nightmare

LFN Staff Member Roleplayer 
I think they will make KotOR a trilogy but they will make some other SW RPG, It way be New Republic or it may be based during the events of the prequals or before.
starmark2k is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2005, 05:53 PM   #31
Aleggy

no doubt some other company will try to make a sw rpg and no doubt there maybe similarities to kotor but can you honestly say that they will compare in plot and the depth obsidian and bioware are able to put into there games dont get me wrong i will try them but i highly doubt they will be the same standard as kotor and no doubt they will get compared lol

Old 08-17-2005, 06:03 PM   #32
IndianaSolo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleggy
no doubt some other company will try to make a sw rpg and no doubt there maybe similarities to kotor but can you honestly say that they will compare in plot and the depth obsidian and bioware are able to put into there games dont get me wrong i will try them but i highly doubt they will be the same standard as kotor and no doubt they will get compared lol
What do you mean by your first sentence? Because Lucasarts owns the rights to anything Star Wars, so it's not like someone else can just make a SW RPG without approval from LA.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:04 PM   #33
Aleggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSolo
What do you mean by your first sentence? Because Lucasarts owns the rights to anything Star Wars, so it's not like someone else can just make a SW RPG without approval from LA.
you are right that LA do own the rights to all star wars games but that doesnt stop them letting people producing crap star wars games

there was the game of episode one followed by jedi power battles and they got compared to each other

and all i'm saying is that if LA allow any company to do another star wars rpg it will be be compared to kotor

sorry about the confusion

Old 08-17-2005, 10:20 PM   #34
Prince
Rookie

^^^

I think he's talking about games that are simmilar to KOTOR. For Example: Jade Empire, Fable, etc, etc.
Prince is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2005, 10:22 PM   #35
GoneFishing

im sorry, i just stopped by b/c i saw the updated forum email. did i miss something?? Kotor 3?? huh ? when was this? is it done, when will it come out? who is the main character? ... man, all of sudden so many question.. my head hurts...

hey. how ya doin?
GoneFishing is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2005, 10:24 PM   #36
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishing
im sorry, i just stopped by b/c i saw the updated forum email. did i miss something?? Kotor 3?? huh ? when was this? is it done, when will it come out? who is the main character? ... man, all of sudden so many question.. my head hurts...
This forum is all just for speculation on what we can expect in the next KotOR game. Assuming there is one, of course.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-18-2005, 10:32 AM   #37
lightexile
Rookie

But even if Kotor itself stops, I do not want the Star Wars Role Playing Genre itself to stop. These Star Wars RPGs have been better then any SW shooter/startegy game if you ask me. So even if Kotor does stop, whos to say the RP genre in SW itself should die with it? What about New Republic era RPGs? Or follow the Original Trilogy? Who knows.
lightexile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2005, 11:05 AM   #38
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
I think they will throw it on another story. Remember, Obi-Wan was aknight of the old republic too, and that's 4000 years later. maybe a story ending with the actions that lead to the events in episode 1. Like your last mission is protecting the just-chosen Queen Amidale orso.
Also, a knights of the new republic is possible. Like the Rise of the Sith mod.
A Jedi academy-like story, but with the Kotor engine.
Those are the logic steps, followed by many producers.
Need for speed became Underground, Battlefield 1924 became Vietnam, etc.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2005, 08:17 PM   #39
Larke
Lurker

What about the first Jedi Cival war, where the True sith were created...

Just throwing an idea out, that would have to be "Knights of the really really old Republic" or "KOTRROR"
Larke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2005, 09:03 PM   #40
Soogz
Forumite

Current Game: Fifa 09
Actually that would be good maybe like a prequel to K1.

Soogz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > when will it stop