lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: FIX for anti-aliasing problems with Nvidia cards
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-12-2006, 08:36 PM   #1
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
FIX for anti-aliasing problems with Nvidia cards

As owners of many NVIDIA cards may be aware, Grim Fandango doesn't play very nicely with its anti-aliasing capabilities a technology used to smooth the edges of polygons so the horrible 'jaggies' effect does not occur. This does not affect all NVIDIA cards.

Basically, enabling any of the available anti-aliasing modes via the NVIDIA driver panel will result in something like the below occurring, progressively getting worse as you move around the screen. Manny quite literally leaves bits of himself behind:

Although the issue usually manifests as seen above, it can look far worse or better depending on the anti-aliasing mode that's in use. Sometimes the entire screen can become full of graphical corruption.

I've been doing a bit of digging, and it seems that the issue is basically down to the algorithms used for anti-aliasing having evolved over the years. That is, the set of anti-aliasing modes offered in newer NVIDIA drivers are simply nothing like the older ones; this is why older NVIDIA cards that're probably running older drivers don't suffer from the problem.

So, how do you fix this? Fortunately, NVIDIA has left all old anti-aliasing modes buried in the drivers they're just hidden. So, to unlock them you need to do do the following:

1. Download RivaTuner. This is a complicated tweaking application for NVIDIA cards, but it is only as complex as you make it. As long as you follow these directions you won't break anything, but be aware that messing around with other things can mess your graphics up.

2. Install RivaTuner, then open it. The software will configure itself and you'll end up with a screen much like the one below. Click the two buttons with arrows pointing towards them.

3. Go to the 'antialiasing' tab, and then open the drop-down menu. Select 2x2, and apply it; you can now close RivaTuner and enjoy your properly anti-aliased Grim Fandango.

Here's an image of it in action:

And here's an image of Grim Fandango without any anti-aliasing (it is considerably more noticeable when in full-screen):

Note #1: Running games other than Grim Fandango in 2x2 anti-aliasing mode is likely to be detrimental to their performance, and may even stop them working altogether. While playing newer games, you should set it back to determined by application or whatever it was set to by default, and then either use NVIDIA's modern driver control panel or your games' own settings to configure the anti-aliasing.

Note #2: As this is somewhat of a hack, you may find that the NVIDIA drivers will reset your anti-aliasing back to one of the regular modes from time to time. If this happens, simply follow the above directions once again to reactivate 2x2.
Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2006, 02:12 AM   #2
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I'll have to give this a try when I get some time.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-17-2006, 09:47 AM   #3
Chris]#
Rookie

Hmm, I'm going to try this. I don't have your problems though. All the characters dissapear or there is just a big smudge when i turn antialiasing on
Chris]# is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2006, 06:54 AM   #4
Chris]#
Rookie

Hmm, it doesn't save my settings. I set it to 2x2 then clicked apply, then Ok. Then i went back to the openGL tweaks thingy and it was set back to "determined by apllication"
Old 02-18-2006, 06:56 AM   #5
Chris]#
Rookie

Oh, hehe, thats because I wasn;t running it as administrator. Hehe
Old 04-12-2006, 02:12 AM   #6
Shuz

Hooray, this always annoyed me. Thanks Thrik.
Shuz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2006, 03:33 PM   #7
Sethie
Lurker

Works indeed, thank you!
Sethie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2006, 12:58 PM   #8
Baja
Rookie

Still doesn't work with ATI cards, or does it?
Baja is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-30-2006, 04:08 PM   #9
PhoenixFoley
Lurker

Okay, I use a Nvidia Gefore 7600GS and have tried the solution using rivatuner but when the characters are not moving I get this http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=grim1aq3.png , where you cannot see the characters at all, and if they are moving a get this http://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?image=grim2zv4.png , where only part of the the moving character is shown! I'm using xp, have hardware acceleration on and have the patch installed. Please can you tell me how I can get anti-aliasing working.
PhoenixFoley is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-18-2007, 10:23 PM   #10
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

Aha! This is exactly the same problem I'm having! So it's nothing to do with Vista then... Thanks, PF for pointing this out.

BTW - There graphics are missing from this post

ThunderPeel2001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-18-2007, 10:51 PM   #11
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Vista? EWwwww.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-29-2007, 08:45 PM   #12
BeXXs
Lurker

My browser (firefox or opera) does not display the graphics in this post, so could anybody tell me, where the two buttons with arrows pointing to them and the antialiasing tab are?

Thanks, BeXXs
BeXXs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2007, 12:41 AM   #13
Grifter_Grifts
Rookie

If you use a glide wrapper, but don't force glide on an app, you can still force AA, up to 16X without any issues. I use them for alot of games to get much better visuals than the game options allow for.
Grifter_Grifts is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2007, 06:46 PM   #14
Kazim
Lurker

Unhappy

Hi. I tried to do x2 Antialiasing as you said by Riva Tuner... after intros or after I skiped em game crashed ... appears error window "GrimFandango has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."... I tried to do Antialiasing x2 and by my Videocard interface... same result...
My system:
Windows XP SP2
Nvidia GeForce 8600GT
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+
Help me plz...

Quote:
If you use a glide wrapper, but don't force glide on an app, you can still force AA, up to 16X without any issues. I use them for alot of games to get much better visuals than the game options allow for.
I didnt understand that... what is glide wrapper?
Kazim is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2007, 11:41 PM   #15
Du Man

can't help you much on the first thing, but I can tell you what a glide wrapper is.

Your video card doesn't do much but help the computer complie information so that it can be displayed on a screen. Overtime there have been many video cards produced by various companies with various technologies. Some games are designed to work with a varity of video cards, some games are not.

That's where the glide wrapper comes in, which a game runs through to be displayed on your computer, sometimes appearing as a seperate window that you play the game through. I did this once with the game I-war by downloading a wrapper that could emulate a voodoo video card.
Du Man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2007, 07:27 AM   #16
Kazim
Lurker

Thank Du man... I try to find good one and fix the problem...
By the way... I don't see Images in the fisrt post (May be I did something wrong in the Riva Tuner cause of that?) ... may be my problem is not like others... characters and active objects most pf the time are half transparency cause of stripes-type holes in them...
I', sorry for my english... ^__^

but I WANT TO PLAY GRIM FANDANGO NORMAL!!! ^___^

Last edited by Kazim; 09-05-2007 at 07:53 AM.
Kazim is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2007, 12:00 AM   #17
grenadier
Lurker

I tried to apply the above fix, but the newest version of rivatuner doesn't have a 2x2 anti-aliasing option. I'm using an 8600GTS with the newest Nvidia drivers. Is there any other way to get this to work?
grenadier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2007, 03:15 AM   #18
Du Man

Sorry I can't help you grenadier, hopefully someone else can soon.

However, I thought this news was relevant.

http://games.slashdot.org/games/07/09/16/1940215.shtml
Du Man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-09-2007, 02:10 AM   #19
sniz
Lurker

I have an Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT, and like many others in this thread, the Riva Tuner thingy didn't work for me, either. So here's what I did:

In the installation directory (c:\program files\lucasarts\grim) there is a DirectX diagnostic utility called dxdiag.exe. You can start it by clicking on the icon or by selecting "Readme & Troubleshooting" on the initial Grim Fandango Launcher, and then the "Analyze Your Computer" option on the "Troubleshooting" panel. Click on the "Display 1" tab, and you'll see a set of 4 buttons in the "DirectX Features" section. I set DirectDraw Acceleration to "Disabled" (which automatically disables Direct3D acceleration, as well). Then I started the game.

The game is now limited to software acceleration, so the graphics quality ain't the greatest, but it's all there without the artifacts and stuff disappearing on me.

For some reason, just selecting software acceleration from the 3D settings in the game didn't work, Dunno why...
sniz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2008, 07:53 AM   #20
Proddo
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniz
I have an Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT, and like many others in this thread, the Riva Tuner thingy didn't work for me, either. So here's what I did:

In the installation directory (c:\program files\lucasarts\grim) there is a DirectX diagnostic utility called dxdiag.exe. You can start it by clicking on the icon or by selecting "Readme & Troubleshooting" on the initial Grim Fandango Launcher, and then the "Analyze Your Computer" option on the "Troubleshooting" panel. Click on the "Display 1" tab, and you'll see a set of 4 buttons in the "DirectX Features" section. I set DirectDraw Acceleration to "Disabled" (which automatically disables Direct3D acceleration, as well). Then I started the game.

The game is now limited to software acceleration, so the graphics quality ain't the greatest, but it's all there without the artifacts and stuff disappearing on me.

For some reason, just selecting software acceleration from the 3D settings in the game didn't work, Dunno why...
This let me run the game fine on my 8800GT Software mode only, but at least I get to run it!
Proddo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-15-2008, 04:23 PM   #21
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Just posting to confirm that this fix is no longer applicible due to one or all of the following:

1. Newer NVIDIA drivers
2. Newer NVIDIA cards (GeForce 8)
3. Newer version of RivaTuner

I haven't really got the time to conclusively determine which of these factors is the problem, but all three apply to me and the additional anti-aliasing options simply aren't visible in RivaTuner anymore. Additionally, unless I force the game into software mode it will have very distorted graphics like this:

Looks like we're back to the drawing board once we all have newer hardware!

It's looking increasingly likely that eventually people will have to use virtualisation (convenient) or dual boot (inconvenient) to play Grim Fandango with anything more than software rendering, and even that may eventually start to fail. Unfortunately I don't think there's any way for virtualisation to make use of anti-aliasing at this time, unless the new-ish Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 can do it.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #22
trustno1
Lurker

Thanks for the summary Thrik... I hope your pessimistic conclusion will eventually be contradicted... hopefully sooner that later...

I don't know why but jagged edges just drive me crazy... If anyone comes up with a way to enable AA please post it.
trustno1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2008, 03:41 AM   #23
MeddlingMonk
Veteran

For better or for worse (sounds like marriage) the best solution for AA--and for everything else in future--will probably be Residual.
MeddlingMonk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2008, 07:15 AM   #24
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Yes, definitely. I really wish some people would take interest in continuing to develop that because from what I've been told it's essentially been in a state of limbo for years now, with basic things like the running animations still not implemented properly.

If it did work and was maintained it'd be a superb way to keep the game playable, but I suspect nobody will put too much work into it until Grim Fandango is unplayable on the vast majority of hardware. :/

Old 07-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #25
MeddlingMonk
Veteran

There's been some activity showing recently. Looks like maybe a couple of people are working on getting shadows to work. Not exactly a sign of rapid progress, though.
MeddlingMonk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-10-2008, 09:59 PM   #26
Baja
Rookie

I just came into the possession of an older PC with a 6000 series nVidia card. Will any of the methods here for anti-aliasing work with it?
Baja is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-10-2008, 10:41 PM   #27
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

This was was based on a GeForce 6600 GT, so in theory it should. However, as I said above the newer drivers themselves may have removed the anti-aliasing option you need, so you could potentially need to couple your older card with older drivers.

Do test it and let us know if the newer drivers do still give you the option to use the setting in my guide above, though. Whether its the newer cards or the drivers that cause the option to not appear is an unknown right now.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:03 PM   #28
CrisG
Aging Jedi

The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
And maybe try to find an older copy of RivaTurner on line somewhere, i am going to look now just to have it in case. I have a FX 7600 but i have not played GF since my previous card which was a 6600GT so i may be in the dog house with Manny already and not know it. Hope someone keeps working on this.

There is no Chaos, There is Harmony.
----------------------------------------------------
Admin 3D Worlds and Game Developers Group - Linkedin - "We Build Worlds"
DF-JK DF2-DFMOTS-JKII-JKIII-KoTOR I-KoTOR II - XW-TF-XvT-BOP -XWA-Rogue Squad - Starfigher-Racer- RC-Battle for Naboo-Episode I Phantom Menace-Shadows of the Empire-BF I - BF II-EAW-EAW:FOC-Loom-Grim F-MI-MII-MIII-DOTT-IJFOA-IJLC-IJET-IJIM-Dig-Sam and Max HTR
CrisG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #29
robearth
Rookie

I had this problem on my other computer! however, it uses Radeon and not NVIDIA. And all I had to do to fix it was to enable 3d acceleration?
robearth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #30
robearth
Rookie

I got a lot of other problems though, like the sound dissapears when I hit F1 so I can't save without losing the sound and having to restart the game, plus every now and then the sound goes into a loop and kinda locks up part of the visual game like textlines hanging in the air and other crap. I can still hit F1 and quit though.
I've set the compability of the game to windows 98 and installed the standard GF-patch but this doesn't do anything. I had the anti-aliasing problem too at first but I got rid of it through enabeling 3d hardware acceleration in the options menu.
any idea what the hell I'm supposed to do to get this game working? I got "radeon X600"...

it's supposed to smell like a wallmart forcefield generating unit, but we could only do 16 different odors in EGA, so it smells a lot like the timepod!
robearth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #31
mezron
Lurker

Vista Compatablility

I found a fix for Vista users, doesn't work on XP though.

If you right click on grimfandango.exe in the program folder then choose compatability settings there is a setting called "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". Enable that and the game runs just fine in fullscreen in software rendering mode. That's the only thing I changed, didn't mess with any antialiasing or anything else.

Hardware 3d still doesn't work though. I'm using Vista Business 64 with a GeForce 9600GT card and 180.48 drivers.

Hope this helps someone else.
mezron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-13-2009, 01:27 AM   #32
ynoh
Lurker

This is exactly what im getting. I've dl'd the program and set 2x2, but manny just disappears. Here's my screenshot which is taken the same place as the one above.

a fix for this would be greatly appreciated. hope we find one.
ynoh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #33
Spektor
Lurker

****, not working for me either. Same as above
Spektor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-06-2009, 03:55 PM   #34
mezron
Lurker

Virtual PC

Installing Virtual PC then creating a virtual Windows 98 and installing the game into that will work for WinXP. It's not the cleanest solution, but it works. You'll need to have a fairly speedy system and it has to run in software 3d mode, but you'll be able to play it full screen just fine.

I haven't tried a joystick this way, but I doubt it would work virtualized.
mezron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #35
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

Sad to see that there's still no solution for this

Old 03-18-2010, 03:22 AM   #36
Leo99999
Lurker

Unfortunately I've got the same issue with an ATI HD5770. Software mode works fine, but looks like junk and hardware acceleration causes the models to disappear. By the look of this thread there doesn't seem to be a solution for this! I just hope that either Residual gets done soon and works or a fix is made available. Ah well, back to no AA
Leo99999 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2010, 12:42 AM   #37
Blogpostwriter
Lurker

fix

its not int the video card anymore. I guess its an in-game issue. NVIDIA uses 3d acceleration already, as other mentioned so i think if the problems still exists updates has to be done on the game itself.

BLOG WRITING SERVIVCE
Blogpostwriter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2010, 06:50 AM   #38
Longcat

Longcat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #39
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

One day... :'(

Old 01-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #40
CrisG
Aging Jedi

The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Any news on this? I upgraded to 8600 GT on my main machine but i still have FX 5500 and an older version of the Riva Tuner I am going to put into a fix pack on my archive...that way at least there will be a way to play GF on mid range machines. I have three, one with a 5500 GT, which is a WIN 98 SE system, one with FX 7600 on a XP SP2 Athion and one with 8600 GT on an AMD dual core so i can usually run just about anything.

There is no Chaos, There is Harmony.
----------------------------------------------------
Admin 3D Worlds and Game Developers Group - Linkedin - "We Build Worlds"
DF-JK DF2-DFMOTS-JKII-JKIII-KoTOR I-KoTOR II - XW-TF-XvT-BOP -XWA-Rogue Squad - Starfigher-Racer- RC-Battle for Naboo-Episode I Phantom Menace-Shadows of the Empire-BF I - BF II-EAW-EAW:FOC-Loom-Grim F-MI-MII-MIII-DOTT-IJFOA-IJLC-IJET-IJIM-Dig-Sam and Max HTR
CrisG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Grim Fandango Discussion > General Forums > Glottis' Garage > FIX for anti-aliasing problems with Nvidia cards