lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Improving campaign games
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-01-2006, 06:08 PM   #1
DarthMaulUK

Improving campaign games

Today I realised that when playing a campaign game, everything starts in the same place and after enough time of studying it all, means that the entire thing can become predictable - and a seasoned Vet can really rip through a 43 planet game campaign for example.

It needs some random start locations - would this be possible? It was certainly improve it online and stop it becoming a 'rush' to get to a certain planet because you know its empty style of play....which is developing now.

DMUK
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2006, 12:03 AM   #2
wedge2211
Commander, Rogue Squadron

What might really be fun is a random galactic map generator...

wedge2211 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2006, 04:11 PM   #3
wuyanxu
Rookie

*waits until the map tools and mod tools to come out*
and after that, some cleaver coder might be able to make the random galactic map generator
wuyanxu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2006, 04:31 PM   #4
Orao

Sorry to kill you all hope but even with mod tools you can't make random position start.

If you open singleplayercampaings.xml or same for multiplayer you will se that starting positions are predefinded. You can't change them. It will be always same thnig. All you can do ist to create X number of campaigns with x different starting positions.

But the problem is not really starting positions. The problem is the AI. It is broken.

EaW: Total Realism
mod....
TR mod team status: TR Advisor, programmer, map maker, Multimedia developer
Orao is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2006, 04:50 PM   #5
DarthMaulUK

Its not the AI so much I am worried about. Its when playing online. Everything is all too familiar thus making strategy pointless (yes some will moan that the game has none - not interested in that debate here).

When playing against experienced players, everything is a routine of which planets to get first and at the start of a 43 planet game, the rebels just can not defend the planet Yavin and those two either side of it. Maybe on the ground but in space, not a chance.

DMUK
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2006, 04:54 PM   #6
Orao

Well what they can do in such case is to give 22 planets to every player plus 1 to pirates.

As for lack of strategy I wasn't starting to talk about it since I had my little discussion about it over PFF.

EaW: Total Realism
mod....
TR mod team status: TR Advisor, programmer, map maker, Multimedia developer
Orao is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > EaW General Discussion > Galactic Discussion > Improving campaign games