lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Norton causing PC game problems.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-16-2006, 08:42 AM   #1
Crezzer Fett
Rookie

Angry Norton causing PC game problems.

Does anyone else find it that Norton Anti Viris software causes great slowdown problems with PC games?? When playing a game such as Half Life 2 with the NAV on the game gets quite juddery, but when off it runs 100%. Causes me alot of pain expessially when playing online games such as Counter Strike Source, as i do feel guilty when i turn the application off (due to internet threats).

Crezzer Fett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2006, 06:13 PM   #2
Dark Sad Shadow
^Forum Haunter^

Location: Stalk "The night", if that's your wish, Yet, if you find my grave, I won't be there, There are thousands of places left for my despair.
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
change your anti virus i use Avg Antivirus

Dark Sad Shadow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2006, 08:48 AM   #3
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crezzer Fett
Does anyone else find it that Norton Anti Viris software causes great slowdown problems with PC games?? When playing a game such as Half Life 2 with the NAV on the game gets quite juddery, but when off it runs 100%. Causes me alot of pain expessially when playing online games such as Counter Strike Source, as i do feel guilty when i turn the application off (due to internet threats).
Norton Anti Virus software is the best in the buisness. Norton is also a resource hog. 90% of the time, I keep the application sitting in my task manager, but turned in the off position. I call it standby. Every once and a while, I manually udate the virus definitions, and then I run a full system scan. However, I usually have the 'Auto Protection' off, so it doesn't chew up my resources when I am online.

I woud not remove the application, for it is a descent tool to utilize. However, I would shut off the 'Auto Protect', and only use it to occasionally do system scans. Belive it or not, Norton sends out a signal to get Live Updates automatically. Even if it is shut off.

R.I.P. to 'The Source' and 'MacCorp'
2004-2008
The Source is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2006, 12:58 AM   #4
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
When playing an online multiplayer game I usually have to turn the Internet Worm protection of Nortons off or else I can't even connect, this is especially bad with SW Battlefront 1 & 2 and Battlefield 2.

I also turn Auto-Protect off when playing online as well as your game runs better, like Mac says it is a resource hog, something I have complained to Nortons about.

Just be sure to re-engage everything when you are done playing...

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2006, 10:55 AM   #5
Jmaster3265
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crezzer Fett
How do you know that Norton is the cause of your games being slow?

p.s lol my first post here in long while, haven't been active much. Busy, EaW is also getting boring.

Jmaster3265 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2006, 01:45 AM   #6
Alegis
In hiding

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaster3265
How do you know that Norton is the cause of your games being slow?
Because Norton is a resource hogger.

I wouldn't say too fast whichever AV is better. NOD32 for example is known for its minimalistic use of resources, and is the world leader of the Virus Bulletin 100% awards. And fast as hell.

(I'm not on a payroll, seriously)

-"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."
Alegis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2006, 01:49 AM   #7
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alegis
Because Norton is a resource hogger.
Norton runs at about 11,000 k, check your task manager, Norton is the proccess known as CCAPP.EXE. Of course you might have other stuff running in the background slowing you down as well.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2006, 04:39 PM   #8
whiteflash
Rookie

boring?the map editor+mod tools have been released along with 1.4,it is so much better now than before and by the way low release the ssd mini mod this week................
whiteflash is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > Community > Dexter Jettser's Diner > Norton causing PC game problems.