lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Original X-Wing - freeze Question
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-30-2006, 09:49 PM   #1
svguerin3
Lurker

Original X-Wing - freeze Question

Couldn't find an answer to this strange issue (forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place), but I'm running the original X-Wing through DosBox, and I finally got the settings to where it runs almost perfectly on WinXP. However, in most cases, when I use "r" or "t" to target enemies, it freezes temporarily before continuing. At first I passed it off as an annoyance and nothing more, but after awhile, it started to effect my gameplay (when lots of enemies are around, especially). Other than this, the game runs perfectly/smoothly.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to remedy this? My PC is top notch, and when I run the game through DOSBox, it more than meets all the needs when I go through the installation. I've also played with the Disk Cache in the in-game options, and that seems to do nothing...

Thanks guys,
-Vince
svguerin3 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2006, 12:56 AM   #2
svguerin3
Lurker

Update:

Found the solution to this issue, for anyone who has the same problem. I noticed that turning off the sound fixes the problem... I didn't like that solution much, since it's hard to tell when you're getting hit without sound and when you're on non-dashboard mode (and dangit, I like the sound of the torpedos)..

So I went through the install process again, this time reducing the sound card from SBPro to just regular SB/Adlib. Now it runs perfectly. Try this if you're having the same issue; just reduce the sound card setting that you are using. Lord knows why this fixes it, but oh well, I can finally play this game again without issues
svguerin3 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-07-2006, 04:34 PM   #3
BattleDog
Terrible in War

Roleplayer 
Have you tried setting it to SB16? It may be that DOSBox is emulating so well your "Soundblaster Pro" is getting overloaded. IIRC a standard soundblaster runs the music on general MIDI, which might be effecting things.

Fly Fast,
Shoot Straight,
Live Long!
BattleDog is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2006, 09:06 PM   #4
iqbalza
Lurker

running x-wing through Dosbox

hey - could you post the steps on how you run x-wing through Dosbox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svguerin3
Couldn't find an answer to this strange issue (forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place), but I'm running the original X-Wing through DosBox, and I finally got the settings to where it runs almost perfectly on WinXP. However, in most cases, when I use "r" or "t" to target enemies, it freezes temporarily before continuing. At first I passed it off as an annoyance and nothing more, but after awhile, it started to effect my gameplay (when lots of enemies are around, especially). Other than this, the game runs perfectly/smoothly.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to remedy this? My PC is top notch, and when I run the game through DOSBox, it more than meets all the needs when I go through the installation. I've also played with the Disk Cache in the in-game options, and that seems to do nothing...

Thanks guys,
-Vince
iqbalza is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > XWingAlliance.net > 2. Star Wars > SW Games > Original X-Wing - freeze Question