lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Gamespot Review...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-11-2006, 10:24 AM   #1
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Question Gamespot Review...

I was reading the Gamespot.com review, and it gave The Dig a 4.5 out of 10. I thought that this game was supposed to be good. Can anyone clear this up for me? Is it good or is it a bad game?
Thanks!

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
Yohein
Rookie

Of course it's a great game.
Different from other LucasArts' titles, but excellent as well.
The atmosphere is amazing, the dialogues are great, the music is perfect...
In gamespot the review gives a 4.5, yes, but all player's answers give them an 8 (more or less).
Try it.
Yohein is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-28-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
Valkian
Loves Razputin.net!

Current Game: Snatcher
There is only way to know for sure. You should play it and draw your own conclusions. I don't understand why people rely so much on reviews writen mostly by frustrated or incapacitated game designers.

Valkian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2006, 04:43 PM   #4
VampireNaomi
was a dog in earlier life

LFN Staff Member 
I agree with Valkian. The reviewers may complain about the lack of character interaction and other stuff, but in my opinion The Dig is the best LA game right after Grim Fandango. I adore the kind of games that throw you in a mysterious situation and force you to put together clues about what's going on. The Dig offers the perfect example of that.

Buy and play it. Seriously.

"Oho, my sainted aunt, have I become a victim of brain fever, the curse of academia...?" -- Jonathan Crane

Sweet As Mango: Nick/Olivia all the way!
VampireNaomi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-01-2006, 06:50 PM   #5
OverZealous
Lurker

I second VN.

The Dig is my second favorite game after Grim Fandango, maybe tied with Fate of Atlantis. Give the game a chance--it has some challenging puzzles.
OverZealous is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2007, 12:46 AM   #6
Darnaltung
Rookie

I ocassionally read Gamespot to be aware of new releases and to read game reviews. The problem is that game reviewers tend to rate the games based upon graphics, sound and playability as a whole; that is certainly not a bad thing, but it may happen that some game that gets rated as "poor" or "disappointing" ends being your favorite just because you 'liked it'. Sometimes you unconsciously put aside the game's flaws and simply get to enjoy it, regardless (until some point) of the mixture graphics-sound-playability. There's no way to measure this; it depends on each person's point of view. It's like your 'unconscious review' of that game.

In short, it's good to read game reviews before playing a game (I tend to do that always), but that can't stop anyone from actually playing it.

Darnaltung is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > The Dig Museum > General > General Discussion > Gamespot Review...