lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: What kind of LucasArts titles do you prefer?
Star Wars! I love those films, and their games too -- can't get enough 92 70.23%
Original titles, please! LucasArts needs to develop new killer properties 39 29.77%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: What kind of LucasArts titles do you prefer?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-09-2007, 10:32 AM   #1
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
What kind of LucasArts titles do you prefer?

A fact many aren't aware of is that LucasArts was originally set up to specifically develop and nurture new intellectual properties other than Star Wars, resulting in many original titles during the early years that went on to become classics. In fact, no Star Wars games were developed at all during the aforementioned early years despite the films being a resounding success.

This is clearly not the case anymore. Do you think LucasArts should continue developing continual Star Wars titles, or should new properties be developed that expand the company's portfolio and open up their games to new audiences as the likes of Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion once did?

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
As much as I like Indiana Jones and such, I can't help but worry that LucasArts relies too heavily on its classic licenses such as that and Star Wars. Star Wars in particular is clearly a huge cash cow, but we're talking about over 50 games here. You only have to look at the game database to see how the company portfolio has gradually transitioned from producing truly stellar original titles to pretty much developing none at all; it's almost comical how many times "Star Wars:" appears in the more recent years.

Does LucasArts need to evolve or die? I think it needs to, even if there will always be a small place for Star Wars. There's only so long the same license/universe can appeal to somebody, and after dozens of games it has to be wearing thin for a lot of people.

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2007, 11:18 AM   #3
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I prefer Star Wars games, but I've never really played any of the originals. I never really knew about them until I joined this forum actually. But I love the SW titles.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
Diego Varen
Left and may not return

Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I prefer Star Wars games, but I like the Indiana Jones films and games. Like DM, I didn't know about Sam and Max, etc, until I joined LF.
Diego Varen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #5
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
I like the Star Wars titles. But, I also am interested in the Indiana Jones game too. But, I'd prefer them to focus on good/great games for Star Wars rather than expanding their games to other things. Like Thrillville, I haven't seen it available anywhere. Plus the systems it is available on, aren't as popular as they used to be.

I'll stick with the Star Wars titles.

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2007, 03:10 PM   #6
Titanius Anglesmith
Kingslayer

I've never played the originals, but I know that I wouldn't like them nearly as much as Star Wars.

Titanius Anglesmith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2007, 10:54 PM   #7
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Personally I'm only interested in the Star Wars titles LucasArts produces, and really only the ones for PC at that.

From a business perspective though LucasArts would be wise to diversify their gaming portfolio. It's as simple as the old adage "don't keep all your eggs in one basket." But LucasArts has become more a staid developer/publisher. And with Jim Ward at the helm I'm not sure there will be a whole lot of room at LA for serious creative license and the risk-taking that is required to support such activity. His style seems more along the lines of "build off what you have" rather than "let's try building something new."
Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2007, 12:35 AM   #8
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Heh, I played Raiders of the Lost Ark on Atari. Fun game, too, for that time.

I didn't realize LA is associated with the CSI games, all of which I've enjoyed.

While I prefer SW games, any RPGs done as well as Kotor interest me.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #9
SeaTurtle
Rookie

I know I'm hugely outnumbered here, but I voted for original titles. I haven't played any of the Star Wars games except Yoda Stories, and that was just a demo.
SeaTurtle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2007, 06:55 PM   #10
darthcarth

Star wars games if they stoped then the market would become realy bland for me thier are other games i do like but im a star wars fan I enjoy star wars games 50% or more tehn i do regular games.

EmpireFTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
darthcarth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2007, 08:46 PM   #11
Samurai DD

Star Wars fo' life. I mean, most original titles LA are great, but nothing, NOTHING, will ever really beat Star Wars.

Ever.
Samurai DD is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2007, 10:35 PM   #12
90SK
Universal Figment

Current Game: Tetris
As much as I've enjoyed all the LucasArts original titles, at this point all I care about is KotOR III, which falls under the "Star Wars" category.
90SK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-11-2007, 01:33 AM   #13
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Current Game: KotOR III
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90SK
As much as I've enjoyed all the LucasArts original titles, at this point all I care about is KotOR III, which falls under the "Star Wars" category.
Amen.
Star Wars by a mile

Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2007, 03:12 PM   #14
Fish.Stapler

Once K3 comes out, I don't care either way. For now, I want them to stick with the Star Wars ones though.

Fish.Stapler is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2007, 02:42 AM   #15
Metallus
Episodic!

Old News! LFN Staff Member Notable contributor Forum Veteran 
I started as a Star Wars gaming fan around 1993, but after playing Full Throttle and the first Sam and Max (and moving from rabid SW obsession to more a distanced appreciation in, let's say, junior high). I love the old adventure games, and I love a lot of the Star Wars games too. Having said that, I voted for originals, but I honestly don't really trust LucasArts to back up original titles after many half-ass attempts and cancellations during the past few years.

But let's face some facts: The people who made the good original games in the 1990s have quit or been fired years ago, and the good Star Wars games are typically (and rightfully) outsourced to other developers.

Yeah, sorry. LucasArts didn't make those games you love. Not Jedi Outcast or Academy (Raven), and not KotOR or KotOR 2 (BioWare and Obsidian). They didn't make X-Wing, TIE Fighter, or their offspring (Totally Games), or the Rogue Squadron series (Factor 5). It seems like Lucasfilm could have saved a step and just licensed the games directly to these companies rather than going through their game publisher.

What makes a LucasArts title these days? A few meetings and a QA team? For LucasArts to focus on making one type of game or another, they'll have to start making games, period.

spoiler:
(I think I'm fired.)

Guy.
Metallus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2007, 03:58 AM   #16
itchythesamurai
Not Ichi the Killer

LFN Staff Member 
LucasArts drew me in with Star Wars, but the original titles ended up winning me over. Probably the best bet for the company's future is to do something creative and/or fun with Star Wars. A quality game would be great in any context.

itchythesamurai is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2007, 01:16 AM   #17
CSI
Aa! Megami-sama!

Current Game: Frozen Throne
Helpful! 
Original for me. My motto is, if things work, don't change it.

| Muunilinst 10 | Real Life | Exiled Jedi Weapon Master | Ex-Sith Marauder | Gunslinger |
Killed in a suicide attempt of ramming his own ship, Ravager, onto the surface of Telos IV. --Casualty Report: Order 66
CSI is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-16-2007, 04:16 PM   #18
Darca Lar
Forumite

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
Lucas Arts has the right idea making new titles, but with Star Wars you can't go wrong I say!

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2007, 08:42 AM   #19
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
I would rather like to see LucasArts making good games, Star Wars or not.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2007, 11:27 AM   #20
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallus
For LucasArts to focus on making one type of game or another, they'll have to start making games, period.
Agreed and LucasArts has started on that path though it sounds like it may be the reverse of how it worked back in LA's heady adventure game making days, with LA making games for its own IP and publishing other developer's IP. Also you didn't mention well-loved LA-developed titles like Dark Forces, Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, and Republic Commando.

Since Jim Ward took over he got GL to buy into his business plan to ramp up LA's development staff so LA can make more games on their own. The Force Unleashed and the new Indiana Jones game are both being internally developed at LucasArts. I've also heard that LucasArts has a development team dedicated to producing new IP games. Time will tell how things turn out but I don't think there is any question that LucasArts will be doing more actual game development than they have in the past several years.
Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2007, 02:22 PM   #21
Samuel Dravis

I really love the original games, so I voted for those. That said, I like SW too, but the originals were really much better quality than most of the SW ones.

"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2007, 04:57 PM   #22
cASe_SenSiTive
Lurker

I'm very torn. I love Star Wars, and some of the games (KOTOR!) have been fantastic. But I'm a huge fan of adventure gaming, and fondly remember playing the Monkey Island series, Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle, etc..
I don't see why LucasArts can't do both types of games. I'd love to see a resurgence of adventure games. They're still probably my favorite genre, and sorely lacking these days.

But if we can get KOTOR:3 first, that'd be cool.
cASe_SenSiTive is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2007, 04:47 AM   #23
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
Personally, I'd like it to expand onto different things. They used to be innovative, now they're just in it for the money. I'm trying to put my cynicism towards them aside here, but frankly, it doesn't look to promising. All I can really say is, new properties would be great if they had the talent to pull it off.

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-02-2007, 06:39 PM   #24
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Well, right now, obviously, Star Wars is the best coming from them with such titles as "Thrillville" coming out now, original titles are pretty bad. I voted for original titles b/c I was referring to their adventure games of the golden days...now, Star Wars games are on top. The SW games were always great, I just had a lot more fun w/ games like Grim Fandango, Indy Jones: FOA, etc...but oh well, I guess those days are gone. Telltale is great about bringing Sam and Max back.

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2008, 01:32 PM   #25
Maxstate
I forgot.... what?

We need a combination of JKA's movement and vector freedom with KOTOR's storyline and RPG elements.

Maxstate is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #26
90SK
Universal Figment

Current Game: Tetris
^ That'd be nice. I dunno: it's a tough choice, but in the end it comes down to KotOR III for me, like I already said. I LOVED Monkey Island when I was a kid and Full Throttle is still a favorite for me and my dad, since we played it together when I was little. Classics like that will always stand out to me over some of the stuff LucasArts is pumping out now. The KotOR series is a love affair for me, absolutely a testament to LucasArts' ability to make good games, even if Star Wars IS more or less selling out to what's popular, or whatever. Being a Star Wars fan, I'm not too up-in-arms about that even though I'd love so see more Original titles. I guess I really can't say which I like more, in that case.

90SK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #27
littleman794
Rookie

LucasArts is doing an awesome job @ Star Wars!!!!!!

Cry me a river, build me a bridge and get over it.
Music is like candy, it is only good without the rapper.
When all is said and done, too many people keep on saying and doing.
littleman794 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2008, 01:35 AM   #28
Da_man
CHEATER (Apparently)

Current Game: Team Fortress 2
I chose orginal titles, cuz Star Wars is getting little bland, like LEGO star wars. THat was a good game for co-op and juvenile humor, but they should still continue it just back off a little on the craappy titles, like force commander or KoToR 2 (Face it KOTOR 2 absolutely sucked compared to the orginal. Only thing good about it is that it is easier to mod than Kotor 1. *flees*)

Da_man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #29
littleman794
Rookie

Indiana Jones is Ok, but star wars still pwnz!

Cry me a river, build me a bridge and get over it.
Music is like candy, it is only good without the rapper.
When all is said and done, too many people keep on saying and doing.
littleman794 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > LucasForums Poll > What kind of LucasArts titles do you prefer?