lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: How long should KotOR III be?
Short: Around 10 Hours 0 0%
Average: Somewhere between 20 and 30 hours 2 1.46%
Original KotOR: About 40 Hours 20 14.60%
Slightly Longer: Around 50 or 60 hours 31 22.63%
Humongous: 70-80 Hours or more, like Mass Effect 84 61.31%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Length of the Game
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-08-2007, 08:11 AM   #1
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Length of the Game

Bioware said sometime ago that Mass Effect is going to offer a whooping 80+ hours of gameplay. While this number is ridiculously large for any game that is not a wicked mod for Civilization, it is still intriguing.

One of the admirable features of KotOR was that it packed a solid 40 hour storyline, while most other games are quitting at a meagre 10 hours and blaming it on their "incredible" multiplayer. So just how long would you like your KotOR III?

I'd say a little longer than 1 and 2... maybe 50 or 60 hours. But the storyline should be structured so that the game never feels long or drawn-out.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-08-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
Trex
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
I'd love to play a KOTOR which could last over eighty hours, but it might be too much for the main plot. Ideally I'd go with around fifty hours, but with enough optional sub-plots and side missions to make it last eighty if you wanted it to.

KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC : THE JEDI MASTERS
PLAY THE TOTAL CONVERSION MOD NOW! . | If you're interested, my almighty fanfic can be read here.
Trex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-23-2007, 09:00 AM   #3
Samurai DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex
I'd love to play a KOTOR which could last over eighty hours, but it might be too much for the main plot. Ideally I'd go with around fifty hours, but with enough optional sub-plots and side missions to make it last eighty if you wanted it to.
QFT

By the way, how many hours were in KOTOR II? Like, with optional quests and without them? It's intriguing me now that I think of it...

BUT, the game can be as long as they want if, as if already posted, the story doesn't drag. What they can do with all that time is finish the series for good, close absolutely all loose threads, including the most minuscule side quests. KOTOR IV is too much IMO, storywise. Unless it starts a new trilogy. In any case I would prefer a new trilogy of similar games unrelated storywise after KOTOR III.
Samurai DD is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-08-2007, 09:54 AM   #4
legend222
Rookie

The longer the better, if the story is well done than I would want it to be 70-80 hours.
legend222 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2007, 05:36 PM   #5
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by legend222
The longer the better...
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd
The Longer the Better[...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
The longer, the better
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTK + JA = fun
The Longer the better!

Ah, guess I haven't seen a phrase being repeated so many times in any forum. And I agree with them: THE LONGER THE BETTER!

And no, I don't think the story can get hurt. Hell, that's what Side-quests are about, more depht, more play time, more fun. All that with no relation whatsoever with the main plot. But I really think the secret is on the side-quests, I mean, that's the only way of a long adventure inspire players to replay the game, even if it's huge.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
Jediphile
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl_Alt_Del
Ah, guess I haven't seen a phrase being repeated so many times in any forum. And I agree with them: THE LONGER THE BETTER!
Well, I don't. I don't mind length, but its not a quality in itself. Cameron's longer versions of both Aliens and The Abyss are definitely better. The same with the extended editions of Lord of the Rings. Titanic is longer than Aliens or The Abyss, however, but it drags on horribly (you really stick with it only because you know the iceberg is waiting ahead...).

I wouldn't mind a long game, but the plot needs to justify it, which can be a tall order. Throwing stuff into the plot may seem easy enough, but you can't let any game/movie/book/whatever drag out for too long without pushing the plot ahead. Even in the existing games, it can be annoying at times. I mean, in the first you're looking for the starmaps, and it's painfully obvious that the plot won't move much forward until you've found them all. In TSL it's similar with finding the jedi masters. They try to spice it up by throwing in cutscenes with Malak and so, but it really is no substitute for just moving ahead in the plot. Had there been two starmaps or even jedi masters more, many of us would probably not be here because we would have been bored to tears.

Don't underestimate the danger in dragging out the plot - it can happen very, very quickly.

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2007, 06:15 PM   #7
Ambrose
Rookie

Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
Don't underestimate the danger in dragging out the plot - it can happen very, very quickly.
I think there's more than a little irony in such a statement

My Fan Fics
Virgin Sands | Final Breath (Editor's Choice 2006)
Ambrose is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2007, 10:00 PM   #8
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
I wouldn't mind a long game, but the plot needs to justify it, which can be a tall order. Throwing stuff into the plot may seem easy enough, but you can't let any game/movie/book/whatever drag out for too long without pushing the plot ahead.
Yes, you're right. For "passive" medias, like movies and books, a unjustified long plot is boring. But, haha, that's the good about games. The game can be as long as you want to be. Some people go through Kotor in a week, but some others just finish it on a month or more!

So, what I want to say is that, the secret about the game being longer is investing on side quests and plots. But there're some examples of very good games that could make you play the same story forever and still have patience to level up, Like Final Fantasy XII (+200 hours )

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-08-2007, 10:41 AM   #9
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I like the length it is at. I think any longer may make the pace of the story suffer...

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-08-2007, 11:13 AM   #10
GarfieldJL
Banned

Depending on how well the story is, it could last 80 hours, it all depends.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-08-2007, 11:52 AM   #11
Jediphile
Persona non grata

The trouble with a poll like this is that how long a game lasts depends entirely on how you play. I like to explore the virtual world and try things out endlessly, so for me TSL was already well over 70 hours, if not 90. Not sure I'd like KotOR III much longer than that. You can very quickly get to a point where the game drags on horribly.

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-08-2007, 12:34 PM   #12
GTK + JA = fun
Rookie

The Longer the better!

As long as the storyline is good and keeps me engaged I would play it. I mean heck how many times have all of us re-played KOTOR and KOTOR 2?? I know I have more than 2 times a piece so and 80+ hour game would be great!
GTK + JA = fun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #13
Titanius Anglesmith
Kingslayer

I would love it if it was about 80 hours, so long as the story never gets old or boring. So really, it depends on how well the devs make the story. A long, detailed story deserves more time to complete. A blunt, straight to the point story probably wouldn't need as much time, and I would hate spending 80+ hours playing a story that I figured out 60 hours ago.

Titanius Anglesmith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-08-2007, 03:07 PM   #14
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
I like the length it is at. I think any longer may make the pace of the story suffer...
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-08-2007, 03:18 PM   #15
GarfieldJL
Banned

It depends on the complexity of the story, that would determine the length, plot twists and stuff could keep the story interesting. False leads, dead ends, red herrings, all of that.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:24 PM   #16
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL
It depends on the complexity of the story, that would determine the length, plot twists and stuff could keep the story interesting. False leads, dead ends, red herrings, all of that.
You have to be careful with dead ends though. Too many of them or too long with only frustrate the player if they invest a lot of time in them...

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-09-2007, 04:54 PM   #17
GarfieldJL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
You have to be careful with dead ends though. Too many of them or too long with only frustrate the player if they invest a lot of time in them...

True, it's really a balancing act.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:39 PM   #18
CSI
Aa! Megami-sama!

Current Game: Frozen Throne
Helpful! 
Original plz. thank you.

| Muunilinst 10 | Real Life | Exiled Jedi Weapon Master | Ex-Sith Marauder | Gunslinger |
Killed in a suicide attempt of ramming his own ship, Ravager, onto the surface of Telos IV. --Casualty Report: Order 66
CSI is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-09-2007, 08:14 PM   #19
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
As long as they maintain a quality story through those 80 hours I'd be all for it. Long stories really add a lot of replay value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-09-2007, 08:40 PM   #20
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
The longer, the better, as long as it's well done.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-09-2007, 08:51 PM   #21
Fish.Stapler

I think you could manageably add an additional ten hours to the current length and not force it to drag on.

Fish.Stapler is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-09-2007, 09:08 PM   #22
DARTH_DANZIG
Rookie

Ok, so I think it's pretty obvious what the jig is here.
I am all for more content. Yes it makes the game more valueable in replayability, yes it keeps an entertaining drive, and yes it can obviously be done. What that story amounts to, and how it is brought about should be the real drive behind the games conception I think.

What strange and puzzling things could happen, the different turns it could take, not necessarily trailing dead ends, yet determination ends. Kind of like silouhetting how to navitgate through dialogue. The difference between quick and dirty, or full and flavorful would be intuitively obvious, and each conjecture point of the plot, main and side alike, can all interplay inside of the story.
And what I'm hoping, is plenty of time and context to be a jedi, as such, to train various student jedi. That would appease me mightily.

EDIT: And though I realize the two games in comparison I am about to mention, are varied in sotryline and gameplay executions, they are both in the same in that they can compliment eachother in cross characteristic tapping.
Kotor, could do well to have as much playability as manageable. I believe this as I am a huge fan of epic games, and that is why Elder Scrolls 3, and four(second to three) are games I love, sponsoring as much as, get ready;
500+ hours of gameplay. Despite being subject to gameplay styles and methods.

SAMHAIN HAS REACHED THE FORCE!!!
Jedi are going mad, chaos is ensuing everywhere!!! And all this time the masters were still trying to piece together how you get the handle to just stay on the belt! A drunk jedi is always up for a good fight!!!
"Jawa juice?" "No make it a visarian brandy, I'm gonna need to clear my mind after that last mission."
"You know what I always wanted to see? A celebrity death match dual between Palpatine and GG allin"

Please refrain from using foul language in your signature and your posts in general. Thanks.
~LF Staff

Last edited by DARTH_DANZIG; 05-09-2007 at 09:23 PM.
DARTH_DANZIG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2007, 04:21 AM   #23
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
The Longer the Better, but of course the story should remain fast paced and exiting, I don't wanna spend the first 10 hours somewhere like Peragus
adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2007, 12:16 AM   #24
azzakabaz
Rookie

iw ouodl go with 70 -- 80 of story but hte game should never end much like oblivion in the way that u can play on after the main quest cause that would own and open up a lot of room for quest mods stuff
azzakabaz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2007, 02:37 AM   #25
Robb Stark
Rookie

I would go for KotOR-length, with a little more variability for side-quests/exploration. Unless you really "try everything" I'd say 60-65 hours max. Higher than that gets into Final Fantasy level-crunching territory. Sure, there are games that can fill 80+ hours with a truly epic level of content (the Baldur's Gate games maybe), but I would hate for them to change the nature of the series to add length to the game--for me, KotOR is 8-10 planets/levels broken into 4 or 5 maps.

The worst thing possible would be just to just add maps in an effort to increase "playlength"--for example, the first 2/3 of Deus Ex would make the greatest game ever, only they had to add 40 hours of wandering military bases and science facilities shooting mutants and killer robots with absolutely no story to speak of. The player should have a reasonable goal of completing the game before losing interest--not just on the first playthrough, but on every playthrough.
Robb Stark is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2007, 04:48 AM   #26
Canderous_ordo1
Rookie

70 to 80 hours or even 1000 hours of play
but the game shou8ld be different every time its loaded like some games Ive played you can be working anything up to three years to pass but battles and harder puzzles then first and second

IM HERE IF YOU WANT SOMETHING DONE RIGHT

A TRUE WARRIOR IS ONE THAT CAN BEAT IT DOWN EVERY TIME IT RAISES ITS HEAD
Canderous_ordo1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2007, 06:38 AM   #27
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canderous_ordo1
70 to 80 hours or even 1000 hours of play
but the game shou8ld be different every time its loaded like some games Ive played you can be working anything up to three years to pass but battles and harder puzzles then first and second
If that were to happen, I'd find it maddeningly painful if, after 2 years' worth progress, my hard drive were formatted and all my saved data lost.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #28
Henz

As long as a good story needs.
Henz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2007, 06:10 PM   #29
Ambrose
Rookie

If they wind up making the game longer, I'd also want the amount of planets proportionally increased. I don't know about anyone else, but running through the same planet doing a bunch more quests wouldn't add to the gameplay for me. But, on the other hand, with more locations for exploration and different eye-candy, I'd be more than happy for them to crank up the gameplay time.

My Fan Fics
Virgin Sands | Final Breath (Editor's Choice 2006)
Ambrose is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-14-2007, 12:22 AM   #30
DARTH_DANZIG
Rookie

Ok, then I guess it wraps that up.
Because it is KOTOR, a bit more, with some variability increase, other inclusions and tighter integration to promote flexability as well.

This just makes me think more about, when the next installment of original star wars series is concieved, the first thing in mind is how to be able to adopt all and any game-path developments, at the base concept of gamming, to date.
That would seem like the best realm of creativity to focus on. After all we are talking about the almighty Star Wars here. It'd be highly appropriate for the aesthetic I think.

SAMHAIN HAS REACHED THE FORCE!!!
Jedi are going mad, chaos is ensuing everywhere!!! And all this time the masters were still trying to piece together how you get the handle to just stay on the belt! A drunk jedi is always up for a good fight!!!
"Jawa juice?" "No make it a visarian brandy, I'm gonna need to clear my mind after that last mission."
"You know what I always wanted to see? A celebrity death match dual between Palpatine and GG allin"

Please refrain from using foul language in your signature and your posts in general. Thanks.
~LF Staff
DARTH_DANZIG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-14-2007, 07:45 AM   #31
Source2007
Lurker

Hmm, I finished KotOR I in less than 24 hours... lol >.<

Anyway, I preffer average but with nice story.
Source2007 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-14-2007, 09:15 AM   #32
Balderdash
Rookie

The main quest/story should be about the same as the last two, but it could definitely use a lot more side-quest stuff.

Balderdash is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-14-2007, 04:23 PM   #33
Quanon

Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balderdash
The main quest/story should be about the same as the last two, but it could definitely use a lot more side-quest stuff.
MAybe they should offer some free roaming around the maps .
In GTA you could still have loads of fun after completing all story-missions .

Maybe they should offer something like this in the next Kotor or better give us a darn good map and mod editors / tools . NWN was nice example of this , tons of stuff you could create yourself , yummy

ANyway , the main story shouldn't be longer then 40 hours , but if your really did turn over every rock in the game just to see if anything is underneeth it , then 60 hours or so should do it .

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Quanon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2007, 10:40 PM   #34
Darth Manus
Rookie

Replay value is also important. If each situation has many possible outcomes, you'll probably feel tempted to start over later and explore all the possibilities.

One thing that fools will never understand is that only a weakling lets the darkness control him. A mix of light and darkness is a powerful thing. Volatile, yes, but also unexpected, and thus even more dangerous.
Darth Manus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2007, 08:47 AM   #35
Vaelastraz
Veteran

I'd like the game to be as long as possible if the story permits it. Rather short and good than long and boring though. If it's the latter I wouldn't play through it anyway.
Vaelastraz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2007, 10:19 PM   #36
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
Personally, I wouldn't mind the game being over eighty hours. Just as long as the storyline doesn't become watered-down and thin.

"The Longer, The Better"

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2007, 03:12 PM   #37
Web Rider

As long as there's a good story all the way through, I'd love 80 hours+ of solid gameplay. Though, I'd like about half of that to be non-main-quest related stuff. Factions with quests, interesting stuff. Just something so that it's not as liner. You know, like having an alternate plotline if we're darksiding it up.
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2007, 07:37 AM   #38
Lord Spitfire

For me . . . the more gameplay (especially a KotOR Game) the better.

Hell, I would take 200 hours as my maximum. 80 hours would be awesome! KotoR2:TSL was pretty long, about forty hours. Twice that much would be amazing!

Let there be rock!

"I hope they realize that music is music, and that music is not a scene, not a style. Music is a beautiful ****ing thing to listen to. It is not a thing to ****ing preach to others about, it's not a ****ing cause. It is what it is—and that's a beautiful artform." - Synyster Gates

Check out my Fanfic:
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: Embers of Destruction
Lord Spitfire is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-23-2007, 03:55 PM   #39
CaldaRaric
Rookie

The plot would have to keep me interested for the game to be really long. I would say 80 hours of game play all together including every quest would be all right because you wouldn't have to do them all. It would kind of have to be like Morrowind, where you have a huge game and tons of side quests to keep you busy.
CaldaRaric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-23-2007, 04:04 PM   #40
Gargoyle King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaldaRaric
The plot would have to keep me interested for the game to be really long. I would say 80 hours of game play all together including every quest would be all right because you wouldn't have to do them all. It would kind of have to be like Morrowind, where you have a huge game and tons of side quests to keep you busy.
I'm inclined to agree, games have to consisitently keep their momentum throughout to be able to produce a large game, a sad case of a rarity in most modern games. SP games can't be as ambitious as the likes of MMORPGS as it just wouldn't work in a single player setting. The reason for KOTOR being so popular is that it is a reasonable length with a strong plot that keeps a player interested throughout; it's therefore not too long but not too short either, a well balanced game in my opinion (of course i play with a lot of mods, which makes the experience a WHOLE lot better!). K3 should maybe be somewhat longer, but keep true to it's predecessors that should result in a fine end to the series.
Gargoyle King is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Length of the Game