lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: freezing
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-20-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
code65
Lurker

freezing

I seem to be having a problem with freezing. When I leave the starting room (after reading the mail) and go down the elevator it plays a small cut scene. After the cut scene has finished it freezes, sound stops and I cant move but I can still go in the menu. Does anyone know why this happens and how I can fix it? I have the 1.01 patch installed.

Thanks.
code65 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Not really sure without knowing more.

Have you tried enabling 3D acceleration in the options menu? Or disabling it, if it's already enabled. That's the only setting you can really modify that's likely to have any effect.

It's also possible although unlikely that your CD has been damaged. The easy way to test this is to try and copy the contents of your Grim Fandango CD to your hard drive; if it throws up a CRC error while copying, you can be sure the files on it have somehow become corrupted and you'll need to obtain a replacement for that file.

Weirdly, I had this problem years ago when I started the second disc, although the sound stuttered rather than froze. The weird part is that about a year ago it fixed itself, and the file was no longer corrupt.

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2007, 08:46 PM   #3
code65
Lurker

3D acceleration is on. When I very first started the game, right after the first cutscene I had a problem with the game and asked my friend who has it. He told me to turn it on and it fixed it. As for copying it to the hard drive I will try that and see what happens.

Edit: It didnt give a error when I put it on the hard drive.

Just incase it would make a difference I added my computer specs

Windoes XP Home
Intel Pentium 4 3.20 GHz
1GB ram
Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT
Direct X 9.0c
Old 05-20-2007, 10:22 PM   #4
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
All I can tell you is all I can tell everyone else b/c personally, I haven't had too much wrong w/ my game (ever really). Try downloading the patch or running in compatability mode...if that doesn't work...do what Thrik said...lol, sorry brah.

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2007, 01:05 AM   #5
code65
Lurker

"...or running in compatability mode" how would I do that? and I have the patch installed. I just did it without 3D acceleration but I seem to have a problem where the person you are playing gets duplicated and makes the game wierd. When 3D acceleration that problem is fixed but not the freezing problem.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:39 PM   #6
urluckyday

Alright...here's what you are going to do...
Find the icon that you would click on (to start the game) in the start menu...right click and select "properties"...
From there, go to the "compatibility" tab...then select the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
Then you can select whichever you want, but I recommend Windows 98...purely because the game was pretty much built for it...

Old 05-21-2007, 06:24 PM   #7
code65
Lurker

Ok the freezing problem seems to be fixed, thank you. I seem to have run into another problem though. After I change the boss answering thing I go back and talk to the lady to sign the work order. when I do the screen goes black forcing me to reboot. How would I fix that?
Old 05-21-2007, 07:48 PM   #8
urluckyday

Like I said, that's all I can suggest...it really is starting to sound like the disc has been corrupted...I'm really sorry, but I am truly out of ideas...anyone help this guy out?

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Grim Fandango Discussion > General Forums > Glottis' Garage > freezing