lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Citations
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-25-2007, 11:36 AM   #1
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Citations

When you're in the middle of a hot-and-heavy discussion, citing your sources can be quite helpful in supporting your opinion. When you cite a source, please include a link to the site so that others can read for themselves. However, also make sure that the site is one that's appropriate for a PG-13 forum.

Some sources have a bias, e.g. liberal or conservative, and that can radically affect how they approach a topic. Don't be surprised if the bias is evaluated and pointed out in the course of a discussion.

Wikipedia--this is a good starting source for a lot of discussions here, but don't use it as your be-all, end-all source--the authors of a given article can be just as biased as any other website. Since the articles can be altered and are not peer-reviewed, there may be mistakes or outright disinformation in some of the entries. The bibliography in each entry is valuable for the links to other sites, so check those out as potential sources.

Feel free to post other comments about sources and citations here.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2007, 09:30 PM   #2
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Current Game: First Strike
Thanks for this topic, Jae. As for the PG-13 warning, I never thought of that. I'll try to remember in the future.

Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2007, 10:09 PM   #3
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Achilles gets credit, too--the idea for this thread got generated from an idea he suggested to the staff.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-27-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Can I just recommend Google Scholar for use in debates/discussions regarding science? Seeing as how anyone can write anything and put it on the internet, it helps to have a bank of genuine articles from people who know what they're talking about. Google Scholar allows you to search through this bank.

Basically means that you can access the information you want without fear of it being something Joe Bloggs has made up .
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Figured this was as good a thread as any to post some links to fact-checking services as well. Please bear in mind, that just because 'fact' may be in the name, doesn't make so. Don't be surprised if your argument is still held under scrutiny or challenged in a debate. It is up to you to defend your statements.. these sites are only to aid you in your search for sources.

FactCheck.Org - Most recognized political fact-checking site I can think of.
PolitiFact - Another political fact-checking site by St. Petersburg Times
Truth Or Fiction - Fact-Checking/Rumor-Checking site on a number of different subjects. Politics, Religion... etc. Seems to be news/headline related concerning the section topics.

If you have more links to fact checking, rumor checking or any other (non-partisan, non-profit) source related sites... please feel free to share the links.

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |

Last edited by ChAiNz.2da; 02-16-2010 at 01:36 PM. Reason: grammr are guud, mosspelling scuk.
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Citations