Thread: Dutch court convicts teens of virtual theft
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-23-2008, 07:58 AM   #1
DarthMaulUK

Dutch court convicts teens of virtual theft

This morning Eurogamer reports this funny story.

Yahoo reports that a court in Holland has convicted two teenagers of stealing virtual items in the popular kids' MMO, RuneScape.

The 15 and 14-year-old culprits forced a 13-year-old boy into a transferring a "virtual amulet and a virtual mask" to their accounts in RuneScape.

The Yahoo report is light on detail, but we understand from our friends at Eurogamer.nl, who read about it in the paper this morning, that the errant teens beat up and kicked the victim, and threatened him with a knife.

The two were convicted to 360 hours of community service between them. "These virtual goods are goods (under Dutch law), so this is theft," said the court in its ruling.

Very few cases of virtual theft have reached the courts in the past - usually, police refuse to take them seriously. This is the first time in Holland that there has been a final ruling in such a case.

If you can read Dutch, you'll find more information on the case at nrc.next.
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 08:10 AM   #2
Ultimate Vader
Rookie

Virtual goods are goods? I guess they're very SMART.

Rulk Badass 2
Most fun I've ever had with my clothes on!
Ultimate Vader is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 01:33 PM   #3
golddon
Lurker

Wonder if you kill someone in that virtual world that you could be convicted for murder in the real world?
golddon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by golddon View Post
Wonder if you kill someone in that virtual world that you could be convicted for murder in the real world?
No, lol.

That is interesting that virtual items are treated the same as items in Dutch law. I wonder to what extent that goes and because of this case, how many future cases there will be of this.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
Web Rider

Yet, didn't Dutch law pretty much give a pass on caring about software pirates?

I have to admit I question the sanity of somebody who would assault and threaten to kill a kid over video-game junk. I hope they get in trouble for more than just "virtual theft", ya know, like assault and battery with a deadly weapon or some such.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2008, 02:01 AM   #6
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
So, the cops couldn't bring up charges on assault and battery, but could for stealing pixels?

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2008, 02:11 AM   #7
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
So, the cops couldn't bring up charges on assault and battery, but could for stealing pixels?
Police/Teachers/Parents have few options in something like this.

Little cousin got jumped a few times after school and was beaten to a pulp by a group of kids a few times. Aunt went to the teachers, but the school either cannot or usually refuses to do anything about it.

The Police can be called, but unless they have proof all they have to work off of is the kids word that he was beaten up, even if he is bruised and beaten.

I'm not sure how it works there, but here the justice system as far as bullying and threats to kill between teenagers means almost nothing. They tend to only notice once the kid dies, and that is only because the media forces them to take action.

On the scale of not caring about children, Parents are second only to schools. Maybe the law says different, but the system sure doesn't care.

And unless you are willing to fork out $40,000 for a legal case on assault between teens, then nothing is going to be done period.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2008, 07:48 AM   #8
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
It is quit understandable, really.

I recall a case in Japan in which someone killed his best friend. He went on vacation and lend the 'Uber Epic Sword' to his mate for play. His friend sold it for cold-hard cash.

The sword though, will take hours/days/weeks/months of struggle to get. So from a point of view, you pay for it and it is your property.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2008, 12:39 PM   #9
Fredi
El Guapo

What the hell is wrong in this world? ... no one can kill or steal another one's things virtualy?!?! ... whats the fun of it?

"Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It's about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual."
Fredi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #10
Ultimate Vader
Rookie

Ztalker is talking the truth, but still I can't believe that Earth's rule can be applied for virtual world. I'm lucky I live in a nation where piracy is a common thing and almost 80% of the game sold in many stores is a clone. If you pay 10 dollars or more for a TSL DVD, I only pay one dollar. Must be hard to live in a nation if there's so many rules. Thank God I don't live in USA or Europe.

Rulk Badass 2
Most fun I've ever had with my clothes on!
Ultimate Vader is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-15-2008, 10:24 PM   #11
SpartanPride
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Vader View Post
Ztalker is talking the truth, but still I can't believe that Earth's rule can be applied for virtual world. I'm lucky I live in a nation where piracy is a common thing and almost 80% of the game sold in many stores is a clone. If you pay 10 dollars or more for a TSL DVD, I only pay one dollar. Must be hard to live in a nation if there's so many rules. Thank God I don't live in USA or Europe.
Meh - It's not that bad. TSL is about $20.00, so that's like what, two or three hours of working?

And that's just for my job...

Don't let people make you feel stupid for being yourself; do what you love to do and what you think is cool.
SpartanPride is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2008, 02:54 PM   #12
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
^ Your statement was actually serious? Also, 59% or 80% of the copies are pirated?

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2008, 07:33 PM   #13
Darth_vilas
Rookie

Yes, the Dutch law at best!
We convict people who kill to a mere 8 years of prison, and a kid who is "steals" a virtual thing has to work for 200 hours! (If you posses illigal fireworks you only have to work for 50 hours or so)

The Dutch law is screwed up.
At least I get healthcare etc.
Darth_vilas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #14
Chevron 7 locke
Peace and Sanity

Current Game: The Old Republic
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
I play runescape and to be honest, these kinds of things aernt that uncommon. theft, threatining, account stealing, happens all the time.
Chevron 7 locke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-09-2008, 11:28 PM   #15
Weiser_Cain
Forumite

The real way this should be handled is by the game itself tracking players actions and having a system in place to verify something being stolen, to return the item and to ban the serial key of the offending party if serious enough. I'll admit not feeling sorry for the little convicts though.
Weiser_Cain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-13-2008, 01:37 AM   #16
GwannaSauna
Rookie

Now what if they go as far as to arrest people for killing in a game?! (Example: Call of Duty: World at War, Gears of War 2)

Then there would be no reason to play games except for a few...

You've been... THUNDERSTRUCK!
GwannaSauna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-15-2008, 10:29 PM   #17
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
I can make that in an hour.

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Community > Tosche Station > Dutch court convicts teens of virtual theft