lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Should there be playable npcs in the new MMO
Yes 15 75.00%
No 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Playable Npcs in mmo?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-28-2008, 02:24 AM   #1
knight 12167
Rookie

Playable Npcs in mmo?

Should there be playable Npcs that can join your party and fight with you.You could dismiss them as you wish and each would have a quest related too them.

Do you reckon this will happen in this new Kotor MMo?

Never was anything great achieved without danger.
knight 12167 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2008, 02:33 AM   #2
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Current Game: inFamous/Uncharted 2
I'm pretty sure this is confirmed somewhere. (Don't ask me where I read it. I never remember where I read things. )

Chapter 12 of A Soul Adrift is out.

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Endorenna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2008, 03:16 AM   #3
knight 12167
Rookie

Cool

Never was anything great achieved without danger.
knight 12167 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2008, 07:04 AM   #4
Pikmin

They said there will be Companion NPCs that join your party. But like JE and ME their not playable.
Pikmin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
True_Avery
Banned

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=193212

This log will answer many questions you have. Feel free to post thoughts on the forum.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Deus Ex forever
playable NPCs sounds kinda oxymoronic

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
Chad Dumeer, Deus Ex: "When government surveillance and intimidation is called "freedom from terrorism" or "liberation from crime", freedom and liberty have become words without meanings."
"Es lebe die Freiheit!"(Freedom lives)
Hans Scholl
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2008, 07:30 PM   #7
logan23
Veteran

Current Game: Revenge of Revan
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Contest winner - Modding Hot Topic Starter 
These companions will allow you to make use of influence and have an apprentice maybe. I think it will be great to have a companion since it can help balance your character out by having a powerful fighter with a companion who might be good at healing or any other weakness your personal character has. The trick will be keep the companion interesting and have plenty of conversation threads so you don't run out of conversations with your buddy or you will be thinking maybe I should trade you in.......

Will you be able to kill you companion if your evil, just turn on them and say that's it I had enough of your Jar Jar behavior....

Logan

logan23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #8
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Current Game: NCAA Football 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan23 View Post
Will you be able to kill you companion if your evil, just turn on them and say that's it I had enough of your Jar Jar behavior....
Logan
Dunno, but you just gotta ignore them or something for a long time, I think, and they will just leave you. Killing them? Don't know if you can.

Da_Man_2423 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2008, 02:26 PM   #9
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan23 View Post
I seem to remeber hearing (or rather, reading) a reference to killing your companions - in the context that you would not be able to reboot and undo it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del
It actually feels kind of silly to have those on a MMO on which you were supposed to interact with real people
I was glad to hear of it - one of my grievances was that I would have to wait for others to be onlne to get that party dynamic.

SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2008, 09:13 AM   #10
AJL

Playeble NPC ?? What the hell is that ?? Somekind of character you can play with even though it is not possible to play with it ??
AJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2008, 01:53 PM   #11
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
It actually feels kind of silly to have those on a MMO on which you were supposed to interact with real people. Makes me think they simply chosen the MMO on a financial point of view.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #12
TSi21
Rookie

Current Game: MLB 2k7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
It actually feels kind of silly to have those on a MMO on which you were supposed to interact with real people. Makes me think they simply chosen the MMO on a financial point of view.
I'm not trying to draw parallels or anything, but Guild Wars did it. They have henchmen you can take with you exploring or on missions. In the second expansion, they created heroes, which like in KotOR and TSL, you can level up and customize their abilities.

Of course the original and the first expansion didn't have heroes and you could only take 3 henchmen with you at a time. This meant that towards the end of the storyline you would need to party up with real people to complete missions and quests.

I think TOR should have "henchmen" you can party up with, but make it so you can only take 1 or 2 at a time (out of a party of 4 or 5) so that when it comes to accomplishing some task, you either struggle through it, or you find a real person to help out. I think this would help solidify the community.
TSi21 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2008, 02:41 PM   #13
Corinthian
Banned

There's an oxymoron here.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #14
mattig89ch

Kinda like Mercs? That'd be cool.
mattig89ch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2008, 06:54 PM   #15
Haroth
Rookie

I never liked the Henchmen idea. It just didn't stick with me. It seemed to encourage solo'ing and discourage group work, which I just didn't approve of. Not to mention, I don't think I should be responsible for controlling some sort of NPC, whether it be a pet or a "henchman," when playing an MMO. I feel that I should be obligated to the character I chose when I began, not the character that I chose and the 3 underlings that support him the best.

"Nice to meet you. I'm an assassin.... Whoops. I wasn't supposed to say that."
- Flonne
Haroth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2008, 01:33 PM   #16
mattig89ch

I agree. This is an MMO, there needs to be player interaction. If they keep it to 1 or two, then thats one thing. But we should not just rely on NPC's for party members.
mattig89ch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2008, 02:07 PM   #17
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattig89ch View Post
I agree. This is an MMO, there needs to be player interaction. If they keep it to 1 or two, then thats one thing. But we should not just rely on NPC's for party members.
Of course, the whole purpose is to interact, and it probably won't be very enjoyable without any interaction, but I like the concept of NPC companions (as you say, one or two to make a party), as it will give us at least some of that party dynamic from K1 and TSL, rather than making us totally reliant on the presence of other players in order to either have some story or make it less likely to be killed inside a few seconds.

SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2008, 02:39 PM   #18
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW01 View Post
Of course, the whole purpose is to interact, and it probably won't be very enjoyable without any interaction, but I like the concept of NPC companions (as you say, one or two to make a party), as it will give us at least some of that party dynamic from K1 and TSL, rather than making us totally reliant on the presence of other players in order to either have some story or make it less likely to be killed inside a few seconds.
See, that's the problem. Why not make it a SP game instead if they're going on that direction? It surely may be difficulty to find the right party, as probably 50% of the players you'll bump onare more interested on harming than helping you, but that's the whole main point of any MMO. And please, I would avoid getting too excited with the companions idea. If you think they can accurately - or even give us the feel - replace the characters of K1 and TSL, you might get sorely disappointed.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2008, 10:47 PM   #19
Darca Lar
Forumite

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
I say no b/c it isn't the type I would call a 'control over everyone in your party' game. I'm not even sure if there should be an initial party, though I can kind of see a sub storyline-based party that you don't have control of.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2008, 03:11 PM   #20
Haroth
Rookie

The argument for "oh, I don't want to have to fight in a party. NPC's will make it more possible to solo," is, essentially, void. If Bioware wanted to make the game so that you didn't have to completely rely on playing with a party, they could modify characters classes and mobs so that it would be possible. You can solo 1-70 in WoW and there aren't any controllable NPC's. Want more party play, but don't want to be dependent on it? Yeah, they can edit characters and mobs for that, too.

I don't see how NPC's would present much of a fun-factor, either. As I've said before, I'm hesitant to believe that Bioware can properly pull off half the features that they claim to incorporate in TOR. Do you honestly think that Bioware is going to be able to make NPC-based stories as deep as K1 and K2 and somehow place them in an MMO? Yeah, it'd be cool, but as Ctrl, etc. says, you'll be sorely disappointed if you're expecting that. Maybe the NPC's will have some depth, but lets be honest: If they're anything like Guild Wars NPC's you'll be more likely to find deep back-stories between yourself and characters on a roleplaying server, where the plot between characters will be your choice.

"Nice to meet you. I'm an assassin.... Whoops. I wasn't supposed to say that."
- Flonne
Haroth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Playable Npcs in mmo?