Thread: Why 'MMO'?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-28-2008, 03:19 AM   #1
JekRendar

Why 'MMO'?

Why's this forum called 'The Old Republic MMO'? Shouldn't the 'MMO' be nixed considering it's redundant? The 'Galaxies' Forum isn't 'Galaxies MMO'.

Not trying to be a pain, just pointing out this inconsistency. Apologies if it's been brought up before.

-Jek

The Old Republic (Lord Adraas):
Jek - Scoundrel
Dion - Sniper

Galaxies (Starsider):
Jek Rendar
JekRendar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2008, 04:05 AM   #2
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
I think it's to differentiate it from the KotOR forum. Not to mention that The Old Republic is the title, but also an era.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2008, 04:25 AM   #3
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Yeah, I think that it is just for clarification.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-30-2008, 04:19 AM   #4
JawaJoey
Forumite

I don't think the forum is named after the actual title. It's just a descriptor for "MMO that takes place in the old republic." (I could be wrong though)

It just so happens that the game is actually called: The Old Republic. I'm not sure why the forum isn't just called that.

God is a placebo with nasty side effects.
JawaJoey is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-30-2008, 07:33 PM   #5
True_Avery
Banned

Its still early in the game. We don't even have the sections here named yet.

But soon. Soon...
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2008, 02:01 PM   #6
Zakalwe
Rookie

Section should be called SWTOR. Which seems to be the acronym everyone has adopted.

SWTOR - The Old Republic Forum
May the TORF be with you...
Zakalwe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2009, 05:13 AM   #7
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Section should be called SWTOR. Which seems to be the acronym everyone has adopted.
But that wouldn't be fair on me as I have adopted the acronym tOR

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 01:59 AM   #8
TheRogueForums
Rookie

What's the difference? It's the name of a sub-forum for crying out loud. In time, it will be given a proper name, perhaps, by those in charge. Until then, I think it's a perfect title- let's newcomers know exactly what it is about.

TheRogueForums is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-31-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
Darth_Sasuna
Rookie

why is it a mmo this time not a regular rpg like kotor 1 and 2 why did they go with that? becuase with an mmo you have to pay monthly fees not everyone can do that.

90% of teens today would die if myspace or facebook had a system failure. If you are one of the 10% that would sit and laugh copy this to your signature.
92% precent of teens today have moved on to rap. If you are one of the 8% that still rock out copy this to your signature.
Darth_Sasuna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-29-2010, 07:36 AM   #10
Darth_ax
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Sasuna View Post
why is it a mmo this time not a regular rpg like kotor 1 and 2 why did they go with that? becuase with an mmo you have to pay monthly fees not everyone can do that.
A subscription MMO is great...and I hope this one kicks WoWs butt. I've been a fan of SWG and played for many years.
You can pay for a FULL year or a month or two. And the kiddies can ask their moms to buy a monthly subscription card at the store for them

MMO is different in that you also interact with other players. As well, there is newly added content/upgrades. The game is constantly always under development.....
Sometimes, there is even dynamic game play, meaning game staff play a live character at selected/specific times. MMO's grow and MMO's typically last a good number of years.....unlike a gm where you can finish in several days.
Darth_ax is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-29-2010, 09:36 AM   #11
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_ax View Post
A subscription MMO is great...
Until the game dies, the servers shut down, and you won't be able to play the game for the rest of your life.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #12
Darth_ax
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
Until the game dies, the servers shut down, and you won't be able to play the game for the rest of your life.
Most standalone/non-mmo games can be completed in 48 hours....lol then you toss it aside. By the time you're interested in playing it again you can't as it doesn't work on your new operating system.

Not to mention.....you have to wait....sometimes years for the next version of the game.....if it even comes out.

I played SWG for 4 (let me spell that, four...four years).....and many played it even longer. I'm sure, it's the same for WoW as well. It's not the rest of my life...but that's a pretty darn good run compared to any non-mmo game.

An mmo sets the game apart from other types of games. You're in the group...so to say.
Darth_ax is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #13
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Most standalone/non-mmo games can be completed in 48 hours....lol then you toss it aside. By the time you're interested in playing it again you can't as it doesn't work on your new operating system.
Speak for yourself.

Quote:
Not to mention.....you have to wait....sometimes years for the next version of the game.....if it even comes out.
Next version?

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #14
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
Speak for yourself.
Indeed. I still play KOTOR/TSL, JO, and X-Wing Alliance years after I first did. Good games are never tossed aside!

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #15
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Indeed. I still play KOTOR/TSL, JO, and X-Wing Alliance years after I first did. Good games are never tossed aside!
This. And as an example, those games (and many others) can be played with the newest OS.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:29 AM   #16
Microdotts
Rookie

Current Game: Runes of Magic
KOTOR wasn't an MMO, so some people may not know the difference.

A proud member of The Sith'ari. http://thesithari.guildpower.com
Microdotts is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Community > The Dark Council > Why 'MMO'?