lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: a step back for democracy
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #1
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
a step back for democracy

Thailand has it's government banned by the constitutional court.
Let's hope the king dosen't want more power, or this could turn ugly.

Checking out seems not to do much.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-02-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
Chevron 7 locke
Peace and Sanity

Current Game: The Old Republic
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
That is so not good.
Chevron 7 locke is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-02-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
A party that storms TV studios, seizes government offices and maroons thousands of innocent foreigners potentially getting power doesn't sound good. But that's if that were the only thing to worry about...

Now, not only are there a lot of angry now ex-government officials, there's fights between the two main rivals. I'm not surprised that Thai Security Officials are worried about fighting.

If the situation deteriorates much more, I wouldn't be surprised if a civil war breaks out.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-02-2008, 11:39 PM   #4
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Hell yeah. Ban the government. It'll be a message that you don't just commit coup d'etat in a democracy and get away with it. This is a good move, and I don't really see how it's a step back for democracy. It in fact, promotes democracy.

Corrupt leaders and dishonest parties have no place in a democracy. The people of Thailand are pushing this fact forward. Well, Thaksin Shinawatra didn't have the cleanest record, but a change of government from the PPP is a good idea, in my opinion.

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 12-03-2008 at 09:53 AM. Reason: edited offensive term
Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
TheRogueForums
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
Hell yeah. Ban the government. It'll be a message that you don't just commit coup d'etat in a democracy and get away with it. This is a good move, and I don't really see how it's a step back for democracy. It in fact, promotes democracy.

Corrupt leaders and dishonest parties have no place in a democracy. The people of Thailand are pushing this fact forward. Well, Thaksin Shinawatra didn't have the cleanest record, but a change of government from the PPP is a good idea, in my opinion.
I don't think it could have been said any better. Now, granted, this isn't the BEST way to go about it, as it's going to create even more disorganization and promote more violence, but it's a step in the right direction- getting the power that was wrongly taken by a group, and giving it back to the people.

TheRogueForums is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #6
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
From what I've read, the Thai government wasn't exactly the epitome of democracy to begin with.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-03-2008, 01:18 AM   #7
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
From what I've read, the Thai government wasn't exactly the epitome of democracy to begin with.
Indeed, however, at least it was a democratic government, which the people would be able to kick out if they want.

Sabre: Sarcasm y/n/m?

Old 12-03-2008, 01:42 AM   #8
vanir
Forumite

Sabretooth has it spot on.

The dissolution of Parliament is a Constitutional act of Democracy, in order to represent the People and prevent absolutist and totalitarian administration. It is worth remembering that in a Parliamentary system of government the governing body is also the legislative body, which means basically they answer to no-one.

A piece of history: once apon a time there were Popes and Kings, the Popes had the land and the Kings had the law. Then came along Protestantism. Now the Kings had the land and the law. Enter Parliament. Now they had the land and the law and they gave Kings religion. So now a King is a Pope and Parliament is King. That's the short version.

Okay so what is Democracy? That's when the King's representative (a Governer-General or Constitutional Court) steps in when Parliament becomes corrupt.

/end European political lesson.

Now Yanks, well they're s p e c i a l.

vanir is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #9
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Sabretooth has it spot on.
Sabre thought he was talking about Thailands previous crisis, so spot on is hardly accurate

Old 12-05-2008, 02:07 AM   #10
vanir
Forumite

Quote:
Corrupt leaders and dishonest parties have no place in a democracy.
This was the theme expressed in reponse to the thread. It was spot on and describes the current situation perfectly.
vanir is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-25-2008, 11:49 PM   #11
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Well, I guess letting a wound bleed and clean itself out is just how it all works sometimes. (shugs)

I just hope this kind of thing isn't a continuing trend around the world. It makes me think that whole 2012 talk might actually bear some truth instead of just being a half cooked conspiracy theory for alarmist con artists to make money from.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-26-2008, 01:56 AM   #12
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
It makes me think that whole 2012 talk might actually bear some truth instead of just being a half cooked conspiracy theory for alarmist con artists to make money from.
Why does it have to be one or the other? haha... maybe self fulfilling prophecy?
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > a step back for democracy