lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Gobekli Tepe
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-22-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Gobekli Tepe

Probably rather old news due to the fact that this was discovered in 1964 already (but dismissed until 1994), it's pretty awesome stuff though:

"Six miles from Urfa, an ancient city in southeastern Turkey, Klaus Schmidt has made one of the most startling archaeological discoveries of our time: massive carved stones about 11,000 years old, crafted and arranged by prehistoric people who had not yet developed metal tools or even pottery. The megaliths predate Stonehenge by some 6,000 years. The place is called Gobekli Tepe, and Schmidt, a German archaeologist who has been working here more than a decade, is convinced it's the site of the world's oldest temple."

"To Schmidt and others, these new findings suggest a novel theory of civilization. Scholars have long believed that only after people learned to farm and live in settled communities did they have the time, organization and resources to construct temples and support complicated social structures. But Schmidt argues it was the other way around: the extensive, coordinated effort to build the monoliths literally laid the groundwork for the development of complex societies."

Full article here.

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
rayston keep me updated on this if they find out it can fire lasers or summon aliens like in that one movie

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-23-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Very interesting article, I don’t know enough about early civilizations to carry on an intelligent conversation on the theory.

The most interesting thing I find about this entire story that it was discovered in the 1960’s, but dismissed as just a medieval cemetery. Since the discovery was briefly mention it the original discoverers researchers’ report, Schmidt was able to reexamine the location and determine the site is more important than merely a medieval cemetery. This minor note in a around 30 year old researchers’ report may change our very idea as to how we got to where we are today. It just shows me how science is constantly reexamining itself in search for the truth. It also shows me the importance of taking good notes.

Last edited by mimartin; 01-23-2009 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Grammar
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2009, 04:19 AM   #4
Qui-Gon Glenn
Necessary Roughneck

Current Game: ME3MP, Arkham Origins
Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Forum Veteran Veteran Modder 
Well, I am also no expert on ancient civs or their technology. However, as a logician of fair quality, I can say that this theory doesn't seem to follow real well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
To carve, erect and bury rings of seven-ton stone pillars would have required hundreds of workers, all needing to be fed and housed. Hence the eventual emergence of settled communities in the area around 10,000 years ago. "This shows sociocultural changes come first, agriculture comes later," says Stanford University archaeologist Ian Hodder.
Huh? I suppose that is a possibility, but no where in that paragraph or anywhere else in the article is a well demonstrated model showing us this implication. The quote actually seems to contradict itself... saying more for the weakness of his argument than I ever could.

I would argue that we have sold the Ancient's technological skills far too short. It is at least as supported by evidence than Hodder's conclusion. 100% intuition.... which is fine for me, as I am not a scientist.

Last edited by Qui-Gon Glenn; 01-28-2009 at 12:52 PM. Reason: grammar
Qui-Gon Glenn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-30-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
SkinWalker
Anthropologist

LFN Staff Member 
It is true that the article doesn't expound upon the order of agriculture and sociocultural change, but there is somewhat of an implication. You'll recall from the article that construction of the site is first dated to ca. 11,000 years ago -evidence for domestication is found at around 10,500 in the region.

Of course this doesn't show that the workers started construction then got hungry 500 years later, but it is telling that widespread agriculture (cultivation of plants, domestication of animals) is evident after construction and not before.

There are many, many indicators of agriculture, which include teeth of ovicaprids, bovids, and swine (sheep/goats, cattle, pigs) and microliths that have a special type of wear called sickle gloss. There are many other indicators as well -but non show up prior to the megalithic construction.

The implication, therefore, is that there was a motivation to create the site that was other than agriculture since agriculture followed. The man-hours and caloric intake required to do the work demands more than a foraging lifeway. Foraging (a.k.a. hunting/gathering) takes time and work by itself and foragers can't generate that sort of calorie requirement. A more efficient strategy of food production is the natural progression from foraging to cultivating and domesticating -one gathers plants and animals then controls where they grow and live and the rate at which these resources are used.

A Hot Cup of Joe - My Blog

Not finding an intellectual challenge in the Swamp? Try the Senate Chambers!

Evolution and How We Know It's Right - Post your thoughts!
Debate Strategies & Tactics - Polish your online debate skills and offer your own advice
SkinWalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Gobekli Tepe