lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: TSL'S Story Being "Cancelled"?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-23-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
Tysyacha
One of Thousands

Current Game: Dragon Age II
Forum Veteran Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
TSL'S Story Being "Cancelled"?

Why is LucasArts trying to erase the story of THE SITH LORDS and pretend that its events never happened (you know, with Kreia, the Exile, and so on)?
Tysyacha is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-23-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
wat

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-23-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
Tysyacha
One of Thousands

I know, it sounds ridiculous, but I did read some post that said TSL was being "retconned".

Ehhh?
Old 06-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
wat

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-23-2010, 10:16 PM   #5
jrrtoken

It's more like "ignored" than "refuted".
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #6
Tysyacha
One of Thousands

Originally Posted by TriggerGod
Remember how Bioware was making this MMO set in the KOTOR era? Yeah, they're still making it. And retconning Obsidian's work on TSL.
Someone remind me what's being "retconned" again?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

see? see? I'm not crazy after all...:P
Old 06-23-2010, 10:29 PM   #7
Dr. Makaveli
Lurker

Current Game: Jedi Knights-Outcast
Well, the only parallel I see is that Bioware only did K1 and not TSL, so maybe they'd rather use their own work? :S

Past that, I don't really know why they'd ignore TSL.

You may be gone, but you're never over.
Dr. Makaveli is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2010, 12:35 AM   #8
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Sheesh, stop being so naive. It was written by Obsidian, which means that it was a complex and too experimental a story for Star Wars. It did not involve your standard BioWare archetype characters, had no party-that-goes-happy-and-then-lucky adventure, and did not involve any "epic" events or music.

In BioWarean philosophy, it's a sucky story and so BioWare is going to do what it does best: tell the Dragon Age/Mass Effect story again, in a space opera envirionment.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2010, 04:50 AM   #9
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
tell the Dragon Age/Mass Effect story again, in a space opera envirionment.
There are red headed French lesbians in TOR??? AWESOMEZ

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post

mtfbwya
* pre-orders ToR *

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Except they're Corellian and red-skinned Twi'Leks. It's called moral depth.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:26 PM   #12
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Mais oui, mon amour.

Seriously, TOR's supposed to be a few hundred years into the future from the K1/TSL storylines, so they don't necessarily have to retcon anything. Bioware pretty much gets to start from scratch with that much time between those games.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #13
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
Seriously, TOR's supposed to be a few hundred years into the future from the K1/TSL storylines, so they don't necessarily have to retcon anything.
The reason it's set a few hundred years into the future is that they don't have to retcon anything.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:37 AM   #14
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
It's all LA's work anyways...so it's actually their decision to ignore it I think.

Heaven forbid anything other than Vader was ever a threat to all life in the Galaxy.

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2010, 02:33 AM   #15
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
If it's "officially" true, I'm not at all shocked based on what has happened so far in the development of TOR.

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2010, 10:17 AM   #16
Seikan

Too bad... I liked the TSL story, even if it wasn't the clearer story, and that TSL is half completed, but the story was original, I liked Kreia, and the fact of question the jedi's wisdom, I always think that the jedi philosophy has a lot of wrong points, so the Kreias philosophy of exploring both ways, etc, and how she kill them, and what she say then, I have always liked kreia, even if she's so annoying every time with her "no! don't do that!", "why have you done that", but as long as she don't start questionning my actions I like her x)

Last mod:
-Seikan's Armors Of The Old Republic:http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...74#post2738274
Seikan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #17
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Current Game: inFamous/Uncharted 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysyacha View Post
Why is LucasArts trying to erase the story of THE SITH LORDS and pretend that its events never happened (you know, with Kreia, the Exile, and so on)?
Bioware on TSL:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobChestney
Hey Folks, always nice to see the healthy debate sparked by the Timeline pieces. I love Star Wars history and particularly anything relating to KotOR. Even though KotOR 2 was developed by another developer, lots of folks at BioWare played and enjoyed it, including myself. If you look closely within the game, you will find several references to events or characters from KotOR 2, and we absolutely treat it as canon. I will also say that there have been discussions about the final fate of the Exile, who was indeed a woman according to the canon.

When outlining the Timeline series, though, we skipped over the events of KotOR2 for a few reasons:

(SPOILER ALERT if you haven't played KotOR 2)

Essentially, what happened in KotOR 2 is that a few years after Revan disappeared, a new trinity of Sith Lords materialized and drove the Jedi into hiding. Kreia (aka Darth Traya) sought out the Jedi Exile, and sought to use her as a mechanism for destroying the Force itself. The Exile defeated the Sith Lords, foiled Kreia's plan, and disappeared into deep space searching for Revan. The galaxy was essentially returned to the same state as it was in before the events of KotOR 2.

A few things about this: first, it all happened behind the scenes; the Jedi of the TOR era don't even know what really happened, in fact the only people who ever knew were the Exile and her companions. Second, because the events of KotOR 2 didn't really change the political landscape of the galaxy in any significant way, it's really more of an historical footnote to the Jedi Civil War rather than a major event in its own right.

This is absolutely not to say the story of KotOR 2 wasn't important. Taken in the context of the Timeline series, however, we decided it would be confusing and that the next note in the history of the galaxy should be the Jedi Civil War.

Thanks for all the feedback and interest in the game and in the Timeline videos. You guys remind us of why we're doing all this, so keep it up.

Cheers
I found this here.

Chapter 12 of A Soul Adrift is out.

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Endorenna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #18
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorenna View Post
Bioware on TSL:

I found this here.
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense, actually. Plus, if they really were disregarding it, they wouldn't have even mentioned Revan disappearing.

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #19
purifier
Forumite

LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorenna View Post
Bioware on TSL:

I found this here.

Well I guess the lesson here ladies and gentlemen is: Always get it straight from the horse's mouth, no matter what you hear otherwise. I was starting think they were ignoring TSL too.

Great find Endorenna!

SITH HAPPENS
purifier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #20
Te Darasuum Mandalor
Forumite

Current Game: POTC: New Horizons
They are just jelous that obsiden beat them to the game.

Mrcharlton only uses LucasForums for social groups and RPs
Te Darasuum Mandalor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #21
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Te Darasuum Mandalor View Post
They are just jelous that obsiden beat them to the game.
No, BioWare was just too busy with Jade Empire at the time, hell BioWare even got Obsidian the job.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #22
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
No, BioWare was just too busy with Jade Empire at the time, hell BioWare even got Obsidian the job.
This^^ Bioware Suggested Obsidian to LA

Also, as Rob Chestney say's, TSL was a story that happened in the Shadows, and once ended, the Galaxy was none the wiser anyway.

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #23
Lord of Hunger
Hunger, The Lord Of

Current Game: Shogun 2: Total War
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIOWARE
*snip*
This does make a lot of sense.

The other big dispute I've noticed is over Revan's motivations, which were a central plot element of TSL. The latest timeline does not actually conflict with TSL's canon regarding Revan's discovery of the True Sith and his decision to utilize the Dark Side to fight them. Thus, one could say that true to TSL Revan pretended to become the Sith Emperor's puppet. The timeline doesn't actually say it, but allows such an interpretation.

I say that was some decent writing on Bioware's part.

And on that note, I'd say that Bioware's problem is not poor character development anymore. I've been playing Dragon Age recently and I'd say that the Party Members in that have the most depth I've seen in a Bioware work. The problem is that they overuse the same format for their characters and story. Hell, Mass Effect is an outright rip off of KOTOR in terms of plot, which is why I have no interest in really playing it. Dragon Age was also initially disappointing in that they promised more variety of plot outcomes for each different class when in reality it's the same ending when the chips are down. If Bioware can find a new format for their stories, I'd say they'd be in better shape.

As of 3/14/10, TSL is restored. The Sith Lords Restored Content Modification by Stoney and Zbyl has been finished and can be downloaded here.

Lord of Hunger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #24
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Hunger View Post
The other big dispute I've noticed is over Revan's motivations, which were a central plot element of TSL. The latest timeline does not actually conflict with TSL's canon regarding Revan's discovery of the True Sith and his decision to utilize the Dark Side to fight them.
Agreed. It also goes along the same lines as Endorenna find. If I remember correctly most of the conversations about Revan’s motivation were between the Exile and Kreia. Well with Kreia dead and the Exile headed for the Unknown region, who exactly was left to share Kreia’s theories with the rest of the galaxy?

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #25
mstr kenobi
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Agreed. It also goes along the same lines as Endorenna find. If I remember correctly most of the conversations about Revan’s motivation were between the Exile and Kreia. Well with Kreia dead and the Exile headed for the Unknown region, who exactly was left to share Kreia’s theories with the rest of the galaxy?

not to mention that kreia's theories are just that, theories (and trying to save face for her star pupil turning to the dark side)

i never took it as the undisputed truth.
mstr kenobi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #26
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstr kenobi View Post
not to mention that kreia's theories are just that, theories (and trying to save face for her star pupil turning to the dark side)

i never took it as the undisputed truth.
I'd call it more speculation: Some truth, and lots of interpretation. All she really said as a matter of fact was that Revan's motives were always his own and that he was true to himself. Which to be honest fits right into the plot outlined w/ TOR.

I will say that anyone entrusting procurement of the Star Forge to a couple lackeys is making a stupid mistake, 1300 years old or not. But in the end it was of little to no matter anyways. So he must have seen and known its capabilities before and was able to work out scenarios in either case.

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #27
mstr kenobi
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
I'd call it more speculation: Some truth, and lots of interpretation. All she really said as a matter of fact was that Revan's motives were always his own and that he was true to himself. Which to be honest fits right into the plot outlined w/ TOR.

I will say that anyone entrusting procurement of the Star Forge to a couple lackeys is making a stupid mistake, 1300 years old or not. But in the end it was of little to no matter anyways. So he must have seen and known its capabilities before and was able to work out scenarios in either case.
agreed,a lot of speculation
if i remember correctly,even kreia says "maybe he didn't fall,maybe he was just being true to himself" even her hesitates in making that afirmation...

hummm... the emperor didn't want to show himself and lead a direct assault on the republic and the jedi at full strength, and he needed Revan to be an actual treat and wreak havok in republic space, not a weekend distraction to the jedi council.

maybe he calculated both would end up destroyed,or close to that...
Old 06-24-2010, 02:45 PM   #28
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
So what exactly is the big complaint here?

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2010, 05:12 PM   #29
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title

That people make video games.
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #30
Ghost

Current Game: NBA 2k11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gιygαs View Post
That people make video games.
This.

Bioware wasn't all bad, but they weren't the best either. But, they were the ones who created Kotor, so we should be happy that they even decided to make that story, and that Obsidian continued it in a more realistic way. I really don't see the point moaning about how TSL is being retconned by TOR, since it isn't up to us to determine canon. I do, however, despise how they added to Revan's story, giving him the classic evil Sith background. For once, Star Wars made sense in TSL. And so many people "worshipped" Revan because he was a mystery, a person who had a sense of individuality rather than a collective mind like the Jedi and the Sith both. He probably was one of the best minds in of his time.

Think about it, he knew what sacrifices had to be made for the future, he outwitted and outperformed the Mandalorians, who were known to be the one of the best fighting forces in the galaxy. (Plus TSL made the Mandalorians seem less like mindless brutes). Then, at Malachor, Revan defeated the Mandalorians in one swift move, and sacrificed those men who were not loyal to Revan. He then converted all those people to his cause.

I liked it better when Revan was his own master, when he wasn't influenced by some sith master. But Bioware had to ruin it for us, which also ruins some of Kotor. If they were on a mission to find the Star maps, then why was it said Revan and Malak searched for them during the Mandalorian Wars? *sigh* I guess things have to be ruined for certain games.

Anyway, Bioware is a good company, but they have LucasArts which are making the decisions. So really, we should be blaming LucasArts for ruining everything.
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2010, 09:52 PM   #31
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Banana View Post
I really don't see the point moaning about how TSL is being retconned by TOR, since it isn't up to us to determine canon. I do, however, despise how they added to Revan's story, giving him the classic evil Sith background.
So you are complaining that they added to the story? I'm not sure that the retcons are that you are referring to. As some others have said, at first glance things seem to fit together.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:40 PM   #32
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
First of all, they aren't.

Second, we need a master thread stickied for this topic somewhere.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2010, 10:55 PM   #33
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
I hope they retcon Jar-Jar into the story, <3 Jar-Jar~~

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #34
Tysyacha
One of Thousands

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What's the opposite of <3? I do THAT to Jar-Jar.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:21 AM   #35
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
What's the opposite of <3?
... </3 .... *sigh*

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2010, 05:27 AM   #36
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Trine Enchanted Edition (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
What's interesting to me is that the title of Sith Emperor seems to have been held by one person for several hundred years (unless I'm poorly informed), meaning the Sith Emperor who turned Revan and Malak is the same person leading the Sith Empire in TOR. It's Star Wars, so there are several possible explanations for this, but wouldn't it be fun if he turned out to be Vandar Tokare who didn't really die on Katarr (after all, that particular species does have the necessary lifespan)?

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #37
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by igyman View Post
but wouldn't it be fun if he turned out to be Vandar Tokare who didn't really die on Katarr (after all, that particular species does have the necessary lifespan)?
That would make me cry.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #38
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
TSL didn't sell as well and was less popular critically than KotOR. Which may be part of the reason that LA and Bio have rather glossed over it.

What's more interesting is why Bioware have glossed over the Mandalorian Wars in their video-promo-things, which was their own invention. Maybe they're playing with unreliable narrators, but if so it's something of a deviation from type for them.

I'm not a fan of mandalorians, but retconning the Mando Wars just doesn't seem to make much sense.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2010, 12:03 PM   #39
mstr kenobi
Rookie

As it is set now, he, the emperor, looks quite stupid...

Send someone as your vanguard with no follow up plan...
Hand your best weapon to the "new guy"...

They really have 300 years of explaining to do...
The best thing that occurs me,is that somehow Revan and the exile succeded in slowing down his plans.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #40
Seikan

Well, if the republic still is a problem for the Siths, after 300 years of planning and preparation(The battle of alderaan was 28 years before the attack on Coruscant, so 28 years of War without winning...), I'm wondering what would happen if revan haven't been betrayed by Malak, he would have a HUGE armada, with the Star Forge, and the Siths would be 300 years unprepared, i can't figure at which point they were at that moment, if they have a hard time after the 300 years...

So, maybe without Malak, Revan could have kick the emperor's ass before he prepare all his Sith Armada.

Last mod:
-Seikan's Armors Of The Old Republic:http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...74#post2738274
Seikan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > TSL'S Story Being "Cancelled"?