lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Star Wars Burnout
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-27-2011, 12:12 AM   #1
DAWUSS
Junior Member
 
DAWUSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 357
Star Wars Burnout

Have any of you also experienced this? Where you've just become... bored, finished, or disinterested with Star Wars? I've gotten to that point TBQH. Not sure if I'll jump back into it anytime soon, but that's my current state regarding SW...
DAWUSS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2011, 05:48 AM   #2
SITH LORD 872
Junior Member
 
SITH LORD 872's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Coruscant
Posts: 255
Current Game: KOTOR 1
That's why i have revived all of the games, And started adding mods, to make the game more fun, And now I'm learning how to skin.

I was at the point you are now, After ROTS, Cause there wasn't anything to keep me excited, Which is why i have Joined these forums, To meet new people, And learn things i never knew about Star Wars!!


SITH LORD 872 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2011, 06:28 AM   #3
Arannor
Junior Member
 
Arannor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 310
Current Game: SWTOR
I'm a little burnt out myself. Mostly because LucasFilms started to make The Clone Wars their primary focus. Don't get me wrong it is a decent addition, I just wish they would concentrate on doing more than just that.

When the prequels started coming out things got great with some fun games and other stuff just started popping up. Now after ROTS, they seem to have put themselves on the back burner.


NwŻl tash.
Dzwol sh‚sotkun.
Sh‚sotjontŻ ch‚tsatul nu tyŻk.
TyŻkjontŻ ch‚tsatul nu midwan.
MidwanjontŻ ch‚tsatul nu asha.
AshajontŻ kotswinot itsu nuyak.
Wonoksh Qy‚sik nun.
Arannor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
SITH LORD 872
Junior Member
 
SITH LORD 872's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Coruscant
Posts: 255
Current Game: KOTOR 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed Jedi View Post
I'm a little burnt out myself. Mostly because LucasFilms started to make The Clone Wars their primary focus. Don't get me wrong it is a decent addition, I just wish they would concentrate on doing more than just that.

When the prequels started coming out things got great with some fun games and other stuff just started popping up. Now after ROTS, they seem to have put themselves on the back burner.
I do agree with you on the Clone Wars statement, They make it sound like it's the most important war ever faught, Which in my opinion should be the The Galactic civil war, There seems to be more plotting going on, Than with the clone wars basing it around the clone troopers.


SITH LORD 872 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
SmootheOperator
Rookie
 
SmootheOperator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 156
Current Game: Replaying Gears Of War trilogy
personally i find it refreshing that they are concentrating around the clones. There is a lot of story there that few people even thought of before, let alone wanted to explore. The Force user stories have gotten too much attention. For the amount of potential there is for the galaxy during the clone wars and during the empire, not enough has been explored.

I am more interested in the stories of the "grunts" anyway. I find the Jedi too "high on their horse", and i want to hear about the clones that are fighting the war, not the "generals" in the Jedi temple.

On a seperate note, i think there should be more focus on the games. With the amount of attention TFU got, and The Old Republic is getting, i think it is obscene that there isn't more games in planning and coming out. Video Games are a completely new way of telling a story that can have the "watcher/player" more vested in the story. It is a largely unexplored way of telling a story for LucasArts. Sure there is KOTOR, and ames like that, but there is so much more to the expanded universe than just that. Look beyond the movies, there is several thousand years between the old republic and the Empire, ther has to be something worth exploring, putting money into, and making a decent game out of. Resurect some of the older games, and give them a new story. so many options, so little ambition to do anything about it.


The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Last edited by SmootheOperator; 04-28-2011 at 10:23 AM.
SmootheOperator is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
SITH LORD 872
Junior Member
 
SITH LORD 872's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Coruscant
Posts: 255
Current Game: KOTOR 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootheOperator View Post
personally i find it refreshing that they are concentrating around the clones. There is a lot of story there that few people even thought of before, let alone wanted to explore. The Force user stories have gotten too much attention. For the amount of potential there is for the galaxy during the clone wars and during the empire, not enough has been explored.

I am more interested in the stories of the "grunts" anyway. I find the Jedi too "high on their horse", and i want to hear about the clones that are fighting the war, not the "generals" in the Jedi temple.

On a seperate note, i think there should be more focus on the games. With the amount of attention TFU got, and The Old Republic is getting, i think it is obscene that there isn't more games in planning and coming out. Video Games are a completely new way of telling a story that can have the "watcher/player" more vested in the story. It is a largely unexplored way of telling a story for LucasArts. Sure there is KOTOR, and ames like that, but there is so much more to the expanded universe than just that. Look beyond the movies, there is several thousand years between the old republic and the Empire, ther has to be something worth exploring, putting money into, and making a decent game out of. Resurect some of the older games, and give them a new story. so many options, so little ambition to do anything about it.
I think as far as games go, Being as close to the clone Wars we will ever be, Would be Battlefront 2, And the Order 66 Mod, Which is only a demo right now. How ever i do agree that they tend to focus more on Jedi than Anything, Reading some of the books based around Commander Cody, Tells a lot more than the movie's ever did!


SITH LORD 872 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #7
DAWUSS
Junior Member
 
DAWUSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 357
I would like it if the series ventured away from the constant emphasis of Jedi and Sith and on to some of the other groups out there, and this can include rather ordinary individuals. I often feel like this is something that the producers and writers often fall back on and have done so far too many times IMO. That and the rehashing of the same old characters. I think the pre-CW has an advantage over CW, GCW and post-GCW in this regard, since (IMO) it's been all about the Skywalkers and Solos. May they fade into anonymity and carry on their family lines there.

Another thing is the constant retconning - these people need to get their stories straight (and yes, I understand that The Great Flanneled One is responsible for most of these retcons, but still...).

Then comes the constant additions of OOT content - I know it's a fantasy universe, but sometimes I think the envelope gets pushed in that respect. But that's a minor quibble, one I think is somewhat tied to the constant clinging to Jedi.
DAWUSS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
Klw
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 100
I dislike the Clone Wars for three reasons:

1. The movie was bad (but the series is much better).
2. They are all the same. How can you have interesting characters if everyone looks the same and is basically programmed to follow orders?
3. The Clone Wars are one giant hoax. Taken as a whole, they mean quite a bit. But once you get into individual battles, they mean nothing. Why should I care about some epic Jedi adventure during the Clone Wars if I already know that said general is a dead man walking, said clones aren't really his friends, and said planet will shortly become part of the Galactic Empire?
Klw is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
Alexrd
Senior Member
 
Alexrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 2,163
Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klw View Post
I dislike the Clone Wars for three reasons:

1. The movie was bad (but the series is much better).
You dislike TCW because the series is better than the movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klw View Post
2. They are all the same. How can you have interesting characters if everyone looks the same and is basically programmed to follow orders?
Who looks the same? The clones? If there's one thing the series has managed to do, is to give to make the clones individuals, each one having their own personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klw View Post
3. The Clone Wars are one giant hoax. Taken as a whole, they mean quite a bit. But once you get into individual battles, they mean nothing. Why should I care about some epic Jedi adventure during the Clone Wars if I already know that said general is a dead man walking, said clones aren't really his friends, and said planet will shortly become part of the Galactic Empire?
That can be applied to almost everything on Star Wars. I assume you disliked the PT, KotOR's, and everything that came back before the OT, because we already know what's going to happen, right?



Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
Klw
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 100
1. I disliked the movie *but* the series is better (hence the parentheses), not *because* the series is better.

2. If they were all willing to execute Order 66 then they aren't unique individuals with free will. That ruins them for me and makes them no better than droids.

3. Fair point. I guess what I really mean to say is that the battles of the Clone Wars were just "side effects" of the Emperor's conspiracy, which is the real story. The prequel trilogy, on the other hand, is the real story. The prequel trilogy is consequential - everything that happens leads to something later on. The individual battles of the Clone Wars are inconsequential - it doesn't matter who wins them because both sides are just being played against each other. That's why I'd rather see another Episode than hear about what happened in the Clone Wars.

Just my two cents about why I don't like to focus on the Clone Wars.

Last edited by Klw; 05-23-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Klw is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User
 
Ctrl Alt Del's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 3,814
Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
From time to time I do. Like in all things in life, Star Wars gets on your nerves after a while (which, obviously, varies from individual to individual) and you need a moment to rest. At the moment I'm lukewarm about SW in general. TOR and the book Revan are the only things Star Wars coming that pique my interest and even so I'm not to big on the former.

I suppose the dubious quality of much that is released in the expanded universe (and I mean everything, from books to games) also helps breeds this tired feeling. It's not only my opinion as the popular reception for a lot of material that came recently has been mixed at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWUSS View Post
I would like it if the series ventured away from the constant emphasis of Jedi and Sith and on to some of the other groups out there, and this can include rather ordinary individuals. I often feel like this is something that the producers and writers often fall back on and have done so far too many times IMO. That and the rehashing of the same old characters. I think the pre-CW has an advantage over CW, GCW and post-GCW in this regard, since (IMO) it's been all about the Skywalkers and Solos. May they fade into anonymity and carry on their family lines there.
Yes, agreed. This was exactly why the live action TV series interests me so much, if it ever happens. Not a single Skywalker ever had a calm they on their lives and that feeling is somehow upsetting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klw View Post
3. Fair point. I guess what I really mean to say is that the battles of the Clone Wars were just "side effects" of the Emperor's conspiracy, which is the real story. The prequel trilogy, on the other hand, is the real story. The prequel trilogy is consequential - everything that happens leads to something later on. The individual battles of the Clone Wars are inconsequential - it doesn't matter who wins them because both sides are just being played against each other. That's why I'd rather see another Episode than hear about what happened in the Clone Wars.
Well, that's the entire plot, as you said, of the prequels from AotC and I think it's fine enough, really. A huge plot twist Lucas planned that worked better on paper than in fact. I believe it would have worked much better under a different director or as book.

As much as we knew the events of the prequels, including the whole war, seeing how it unfolded was the real magic behind it. No one that watched the OT and went to see the new movies thought otherwise, I'm sure. It's just like if you're an history aficcionado: you know who won WWII but you still want to see how it ever happened, where it took place, who fought and was decisive on it and so on.

I wouldn't blame, thus, the apparent vacuity of showing the Clone Wars on the fact we know what would happen eventually. It's more of an execution flaw.


Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-17-2011, 05:12 AM   #12
Crixler
Rookie
 
Crixler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Somewhere else.
Posts: 40
Current Game: AoEO, Portal 2, TSL
Not all clones were willing to execute Order 66, actually. Most still did though, due to the immense discipline they had. The clones tended to live a pretty sheltered life, and they generally never learned more than warfare and following orders. But that doesn't mean they weren't unique individuals.

Check out the Republic Commando books, if you haven't already (probably not, considering your stance). Really good stuff.

Crixler is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #13
Klw
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 100
They did alter the clones genetically to be more obedient, though. I now know that some clones did develop a conscience, but in general, you have to admit that the clone army displayed the moral compass of a droid.

If they were genetically unaltered like Boba Fett, I'm sure that serving on the front lines with their Jedi masters would have been more than enough for some of them to counteract their sheltered training regimen on Kamino and that there would have been mass disobedience to Palpatine.
Klw is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2011, 01:46 AM   #14
SmootheOperator
Rookie
 
SmootheOperator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 156
Current Game: Replaying Gears Of War trilogy
true, the only clones that were left as Jango were the ARC troopers, which kinda bugged me about the clone wars show, they talked about moving a couple of clone troops into ARC training, but you weren't trained to be an ARC, you were born an ARC. Something like the Commando's however, they could be trained from regular clones (trooper Cor for fans of the RC book series), but the ARCs were a very specific "breed" of clone.

Although Boba was a direct copy of Jango, he had no accelerated aging, he had no alterations what-so-ever, he was also raised as a son. The way a Mando would raise a son, not trained to be a killer now, because he would be dead with-in 15 years, either by the accelerated aging, or being killed in battle. The clones/RCs/ARCs were "taught" by teachers, but still remained with clones, Boba lived with Jango, and would grow up as a normal child would, or as normal as you can be when your "dad" is an intergalactic bounty hunter, and also technically the father of several hundred thousand other boys more-or-less like yourself.

There is also another little thing in the clones training that got me thinkin, the clones swore allegiance to the chancellor, not to the republic, not to the jedi, and not to any government body, JUST to the chancellor, someone should have thought that was odd. Soldiers today swear allegiance to the country they defend, not to any single person in particular.


The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Last edited by SmootheOperator; 06-19-2011 at 01:53 AM.
SmootheOperator is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #15
Al_Ciao
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 113
Current Game: SWTOR, Skyrim
I read a couple of the Republic Commando books, including Order 66, and it gave some background insight to Order 66, which might be expected from the title. Basically, it wasn't just a "KILL ALL JEDI CUZ I SAID SO" order, it was one of those extreme worst-case scenario orders which meant, "The Jedi have turned traitor and are too dangerous to be kept captive." It was also stated that there was a similar order for the chancellor.

As for the OP, I've never experienced Star Wars burnout myself. I've been going strong since I was 10 years old! (I'm 28 now.)
Al_Ciao is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2011, 02:46 AM   #16
SmootheOperator
Rookie
 
SmootheOperator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 156
Current Game: Replaying Gears Of War trilogy
I'm sure a lot of you have been reading the books, but was anyone as dissappointed with The Old Republic Fatal Alliance as i was? it just seemed to exist on its own, it had little to do with the Empire, the Republic, Jedi or Sith. Other than the names, it could exist on its own with little trouble.


The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
SmootheOperator is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #17
Kurgan
Headhunter
 
Kurgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1997
Location: The Dawn of Time
Posts: 18,322
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
I got "burned out" on Star Wars about the time of Episode II's release I think. From then I basically just went back to liking some movies and some games. Oddly there are still plenty of Star Wars fans who seem to think you have to like everyone with the logo on it, regardless of quality. It used to be possible to follow all that stuff, but anymore there's just too much and too much that is of mediocre quality. Something for everyone, some might say, but yeah, great recipe for "burnout" if you're an obsessed fan (as many of us were) instead of just a fan.

I like other movies, other books, other games, I like a lot of other fun things that have nothing to do with Star Wars. Some of the "burnout" might also be due to people consuming nothing but Star Wars for too long. I also have gotten a lot busier in my life over the past decade, so I have a lot less time to obsess over such things. On the other hand, as with most hobbies, people find them a pleasant diversion. If it ceases being pleasant, time to find another (healthy) diversion. Being a Star Wars fan can be time consuming and expensive (if you go with "everything" approach) and not everyone can do that, even old, die-hards like me.


Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)


"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Expanded Universe > Star Wars Burnout

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:21 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.