lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: ProMod gameplay question:
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-20-2002, 07:17 PM   #1
Halowse

ProMod gameplay question:

Regarding the CSC:

Is it important to have the CSC well aimed when you initate the swing (press the button)... or for the CSC to be well aimed at the point the swing makes contact with the opponent / opponent's saber?

The ProMod website is unclear about this.
Halowse is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2002, 11:25 PM   #2
Psionic Jedi

This is a very good question... *BUMP*

I usually try to keep my xhair on the opponent during a swing.

Before a swing, there's a windup that requires you to aim a little to the side of the opponent, which means you have to manuever your xhair a little bit.

It would be vital information if we knew that the CSC's effects started at the swing instead of contact with an opponent's saber.

Artifex, where are joo?

Without fear, there is no courage
Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
This would be really funny if it weren't happening to me.
In the land of California, in the heat of San Jose the dark haired PSIONIC JEDI forged in secret a master computer to control all others and into this computer he poured his money, his computer parts and many screws
One computer to rule them all. One computer to find the foes
One computer to bring them all to hell and in the darkness conquer
In the online gaming world where the envying ones lie.
-Original dito119
Psionic Jedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2002, 03:22 AM   #3
Luc Solar
PH34R TEH INSANE JAWA!!!

I think you have to aim at the opponent at the moment of the contact. I'm not sure though...but it seems that I can't hit $hit if I don't follow the swing with my crosshair.

Artie? Where art thou? Thy community needs U

Got Honourz? Great.. I hope you choke on it!

I r0xx0r all j00 nooberz that mess with me. You nooberz suXor out of my way or I eat j00....

Most ridiculous Quote of the century: >)O(< ENmiTy: promoting mindless FFA and SD kills promotes disorderly conduct amoung the online community.
Luc Solar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2002, 06:55 AM   #4
Darth Kaan

I have noticed that the most damage is done with the csc lit up upon contact. I dont think it matters where it is beforehand. I may be wrong though, but Artifex will answer your question soon I am sure.

Darth Kaan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2002, 03:36 AM   #5
Halowse

Yes, I think the specific mechanics of the bonus / skill system need to be explained.

Wouldnt it be interesting if timing the button press with a good CSC... and timing of the actual strike hitting the opponent with a good CSC... had a cumulative effect on bonuses?

Ar???
Old 09-22-2002, 06:18 AM   #6
C'jais
Spicy Viking Boy

This has in fact been explained before:

The moment you hit your opponent, your CSC's are each checked - Highest win.

Better to be hated for who you are, than loved for who you're not.

Member of The Scandinavian Clique

My LiveJournal
C'jais is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2002, 08:32 AM   #7
Kstar__2
chaos

Quote:
Originally posted by cjais
This has in fact been explained before:

The moment you hit your opponent, your CSC's are each checked - Highest win.
wow, math-based, never thought it would b that way, wow, i'm really going to play promod!

+[size=0.5]http://kstar.deviantart.com[/size]
Kstar__2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2002, 09:23 AM   #8
zerowingzero

Quote:
Originally posted by kstar__2

wow, math-based, never thought it would b that way, wow, i'm really going to play promod!
http://www.oculis.org/promod/promod_strategy.html

See that bright and colorfull chart? Put it to good use.
zerowingzero is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2002, 03:37 PM   #9
Halowse

from the ProMod site:

"For the best results in combat, attack only when your CSC is strong and your opponent's is weak. Resist the urge to swing blindly when your opponent isn't within view, or is cloaked by Mind Trick. Constantly circle your opponent, and switch directions often to prevent them from getting a strong lock on you with their crosshair."

This would lead me to believe that timing of the button press is what determines bonuses... yet cjais says it is the moment of contact.

Rather than having us speculate, could the ProMod author simply explain the mechanics?
Old 09-22-2002, 04:55 PM   #10
ArtifeX

How the CSC works

I see the reason for the confusion. Let me explain:

The CSC score for a player is checked at the instant his saber comes into contact with another player's saber or body.

In the case that a player's saber comes into contact with another player's saber, both players' CSC scores are checked and several things can happen. If the attacking player's CSC score is lower than the defender's by a significant amount, then the defender will knockaway the attacker's saber. If the attacker has a moderately lower CSC score, then the defender will deflect the attacker's saber. If the attacker has a slightly lower score to slightly higher (the defender always has a slight advantage), then the defender will simply block the strike. If the attacker has a moderate to significant advantage over the defender, then the attack will break through the defenders saber, and likely strike them in the process (will not hit if you don't connect with their body).

If the attacker's saber comes into contact with the opponent's body without hitting their saber, then both player's CSC's are checked on contact and the higher of the two wins. If the attacker wins, then a hit is scored and damage accrued. If the defender wins, then they manage to block the strike.

That clear everything up?

I'm going to try adding a "flash" effect to the CSC that will execute when either your attack or defense strength is being checked. It'll essentially turn white and opaque briefly to illustrate what your CSC score was when it was checked.

Artifex *ASC*
ArtifeX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2002, 04:50 PM   #11
Darth Kaan

Thxs Art.

Darth Kaan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > ProMod gameplay question: