lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: exactly what does promod do?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-25-2002, 01:48 PM   #1
James Brophy

Question exactly what does promod do?

my question is exactly what does promod do? hmm? everybody says aooh its amazing but what does it change?

"Learn The Power Of The Dark Side"
my join server name is James{DROID}
James Brophy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2002, 02:39 PM   #2
Toonces
Raise Hand If Sure!

It makes saber combat what it always should have been
Try it, and it will become your new religion
http://www.oculis.org/promod

Toonces is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2002, 02:53 PM   #3
Lightning

i would like to know what it does to
Lightning is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2002, 03:02 PM   #4
Toonces
Raise Hand If Sure!

Well, follow the link to his website I posted, it will all become clear with a little reading. It's too much for me to explain here

Old 09-26-2002, 10:14 AM   #5
shaolin_blade

My experience with ProMod has been that people just run around in circles and try to hit each other in the back.

I don't think that's what saber combat was supposed to be.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
shaolin_blade is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2002, 12:01 PM   #6
FatalStrike

Quote:
Originally posted by shaolin_blade
My experience with ProMod has been that people just run around in circles and try to hit each other in the back.

I don't think that's what saber combat was supposed to be.

I have played a lot of ProMod and while you do try to score hit outside of the block area (usually the side not the back) ProMod fight has always been about knowing what attack to use in what situation. If they are blocking slam them with heavy and chain an attack, if they are swing heavy attack with a few light stance hits..etc

If you played and tried to hit everyone in the back...well...I can only think of one thing to say....NOOB!

Battlefield 1942........
FatalStrike is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2002, 12:12 PM   #7
shaolin_blade

I didn't say that was my strategy.

That's what everyone was doing to me. I've played in quite a few ProMod games, and each fight I was in, regardless of the server, all they did was circle me and hit me in the back.

Every time.

Sorry if you don't like my answer, but I've been playing this game since day 1. Save your N00B comments for someone who speaks 12 year-old.

Old 09-27-2002, 10:43 AM   #8
FatalStrike

Quote:
I didn't say that was my strategy.

That's what everyone was doing to me. I've played in quite a few ProMod games, and each fight I was in, regardless of the server, all they did was circle me and hit me in the back.
They circled you and hit you in the back? How on earth did they get behind you without you smashing them a few times?

Quote:
Sorry if you don't like my answer, but I've been playing this game since day 1. Save your N00B comments for someone who speaks 12 year-old.
Ok so maybe your not a NOOB, sorry, I didn't realize you had played since day one and somehow you never learned to keep people away from your backside. I was wrong to call you a noob when you obviously are a player that considers attacking your enemies weak side a stupid way of playing, which would make you a bad player, not a noob. My mistake

Battlefield 1942........
Old 09-27-2002, 11:48 AM   #9
Spider AL
A well-spoken villain...

Once again Fatalstrike's maturity, and his capacity for rational debate, stuns us all.

[FW] Spider AL
--
Hewwo, meesa Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. Excusing me, but me needs to go bust meesa head in with dissa claw-hammer, because yousa have stripped away meesa will to living.
Spider AL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2002, 12:09 PM   #10
FatalStrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Spider AL
Once again Fatalstrike's maturity, and his capacity for rational debate, stuns us all.
Oh please I am just having a little fun with the guy. I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings.

I would just like to let everyone know that Sheep- Al is my official Lucas forums watch dog. Don't be alarmed if I post and he immediately flames me, he's just following procedure.

Battlefield 1942........
Old 09-27-2002, 01:01 PM   #11
shaolin_blade

I never pay attention to the promod nazis anyway.

And I didn't say I got cremated. I do OK on promod servers. But if I wanted to square dance, I'd visit the barn you were apparently raised in.

When it comes to lightsabers, I prefer a straight fight.

I like the idea of promod.

Old 09-27-2002, 01:53 PM   #12
FatalStrike

Quote:
I never pay attention to the promod nazis anyway.
WOW I didn't know that ProMod had gotten big enough to have "ProMod Nazis"

I hope you don't mean me, since I have many posts and 1 thread that blasts some of the approaches that have been taken with ProMod. I just thought your post was wildly inaccurate and decided to mess with you a bit.

Quote:
And I didn't say I got cremated. I do OK on promod servers. But if I wanted to square dance, I'd visit the barn you were apparently raised in.
Ouch that was cold! But I forgive you and you are always welcome to come by the barn for some square dancing.

Quote:
When it comes to lightsabers, I prefer a straight fight.
As opposed to a "gay" fight? I bet you use a purple lightsaber...

Quote:
I like the idea of promod.
Me too...now come over here and give me a hug already!

Battlefield 1942........
Old 09-27-2002, 02:31 PM   #13
Toonces
Raise Hand If Sure!

heh, I use a purple lightsaber I find it very manly

I haven't noticed too much square dancing on promod servers. If somebody does try and get behind me they usually dont live very long, walking sideways is a bad way to block

I'm just currious though shaolin_blade, you really like the saber combat in vanilla 1.4?

Old 09-27-2002, 03:14 PM   #14
Spider AL
A well-spoken villain...

Quote:
Oh please I am just having a little fun with the guy.
If that's the best excuse you can come up with for flaming people, it needs work, Troll. Heh heh.

[FW] Spider AL
--
Hewwo, meesa Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. Excusing me, but me needs to go bust meesa head in with dissa claw-hammer, because yousa have stripped away meesa will to living.
Spider AL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2002, 03:39 PM   #15
FatalStrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Spider AL

If that's the best excuse you can come up with for flaming people, it needs work, Troll. Heh heh.
I can't use your "righteous indignation" excuse so I just go with whatever the keyboard gives me.

Battlefield 1942........
Old 09-27-2002, 03:43 PM   #16
FatalStrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Toonces

I'm just currious though shaolin_blade, you really like the saber combat in vanilla 1.4?
Its hard to believe isn't it?!

Before any arachnids flame me, please note that I don't like v1.03 so please don't state that I do, we've already gone over that in 4 other threads.

Battlefield 1942........
Old 09-27-2002, 04:16 PM   #17
zerowingzero

Quote:
Originally posted by FatalStrike

As opposed to a "gay" fight? I bet you use a purple lightsaber...

STFU i beat you 1v1!

As for the circleing around, i've never been able to do that without geting knocked down via sidekicked or my defence broken.
I've never seen people trying to circle around as i main strat, when a person is swinging they are defenceless if their CSC is lower than yours, so going behind isnt needed.
If you want to see some good players, come to ArtifeX's server, and get ready to see your "pretty good" turn into "Wtf these people are cheating!". Damn Laz and his H4X.
zerowingzero is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2002, 04:19 PM   #18
shaolin_blade

I'm not crazy about 1.04. I liked the damage scales of 1.02 a lot better, but at least 1.04 keeps people honest. I think 1.03 was almost good, except for people still being able to push/pull backswing and do the saber blender thing.

I'm sure you guys have played ProMod more than I have, so you know more about the ins and outs of what it is capable of. All I'm saying is, running around in circles isn't what I expect from a saber fight, and that's what inevitably happens when I get into a ProMod game.

Even the ProMod website says "Constantly circle your opponent, and switch directions often to prevent them from getting a strong lock on you with their crosshair."

To me, this reduces saber fighting to Jedi Knight (Dark Forces II, that is) standards, where everyone was just running around swinging wildly.

ProMod beats the hell out of JediMod version 1.X and JediPlus version 3.X(whatever the current versions are now), but I'm still not sold on it.

Maybe future releases of ProMod will change my mind.

And for the record, I use the orange saber.

Old 09-27-2002, 04:23 PM   #19
shaolin_blade

Quote:
If you want to see some good players, come to ArtifeX's server, and get ready to see your "pretty good" turn into "Wtf these people are cheating!". Damn Laz and his H4X
Heil ProMod!

Another Nazi.

Old 09-27-2002, 04:26 PM   #20
zerowingzero

Quote:

Heil ProMod!

Another Nazi.
No Promod for you! Come back 1 year!

Can i have a demo or the server where this was happining? I've never seen it.
And if you backpedal, how can someone go around you?
You can't base everything on just one sever you went to.

(BTW i am geting $20 for every person i tell Promod about, it's a great deal)

^
JK
Old 09-27-2002, 04:57 PM   #21
FatalStrike

Quote:
Originally posted by zerowingzero

STFU i beat you 1v1!

...and I have beaten you 1 v 1, so whats your point. Also when did I say I couldn't be beaten? Laz beats me like a drum everytime I run into that bastard! LoL

Battlefield 1942........
Old 09-27-2002, 07:37 PM   #22
zerowingzero

I beat you more, Purple sabers are #1 and i beat laz 50% of the time and rising. (actually more like %20 )
Old 09-27-2002, 07:51 PM   #23
FatalStrike

Quote:
Originally posted by zerowingzero
I beat you more, Purple sabers are #1 and i beat laz 50% of the time and rising. (actually more like %20 )
"Hey Fatal! We got an order for one @ss kicking here!"

Fatal- "One @ss kickin coming up!"

LoL odds are you will beat me, I haven't played ProMod is a week but I'm game! Beside don't feel bad about Laz he beats me 9 out of 10 times. That....bastard!

Battlefield 1942........
Old 09-27-2002, 10:58 PM   #24
thehomicidalegg

thehomicidalegg is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2002, 09:51 PM   #25
lilJedi

how can u have proper saber combat in multiplayer? ive tried...its too jumpy...or laggy....even with less than 200ms ping,
lilJedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-29-2002, 04:13 AM   #26
Lightning

this thread still doesn't say what promod does
Lightning is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-29-2002, 09:47 AM   #27
ExarDunnan

OK, here's what the *official* promod website says. It's kinda confusing until the end, but the second half of the last paragraph explains it pretty well.

About ProMod
Ever since the release of jk2 there have been innumerable complaints about its multiplayer gameplay. The players whose expectations of deep, involving, strategic saber-play were not met have been very vocal on lucasforums.com and elsewhere. Whether it was the DFA attack in 1.02, the backsweeps/stabs of 1.03, or the effortless, skilless blocking of 1.04, there have been many imbalance issues that have sent the JK2 community to the messageboards to decry the failings of the latest patch. Ravensoft's too-much-or-too-little attempts at balancing have caused many dedicated players to shelve their game cd's for good.

With the rumormill reporting that Lucasarts is unwilling to fund any more patches to the game to correct things, it is left to the mod community to breathe life back into Jedi Outcast multiplayer. Many mods have attempted to do so, and I salute their efforts, but I think that there are none that have addressed the true, fundamental flaws of saber combat. Most of them concentrate on cosmetic changes such as choosing RGB saber colors or turning your player model into a towering giant. While these may serve as amusing diversions for a while, they aren't fixing things. Repainting a broken-down car won't help it run any better. The attempts that have been made have only changed things like the amount of damage certain saber swings do, or how much force power is used when you turn on absorb. These adjustments can help, but they fall far short of making the game a truly rewarding experience.

So what is it that needs to be fixed?

Two major things: One, the saber combat logic has been fundamentally flawed since the very first version. So much so that you can actually hit someone from behind while standing in front of them. The overly-lenient blocking system has allowed even those completely new to the game to wade into a grand saber melee and come out the other side with barely a scratch. Two, the logic is just foul with calls to random number generators. Any professional gamer will tell you that that is the death of any game that wishes to be played competitvely or professionally. Why bother training yourself to be better at a game whose major component is luck? How would you like to lose a tournament match with thousands of dollars on the line to the roll of virtual dice?

How are these things fixed in ProMod?

Random numbers must be replaced with input from the player at every opportunity. As such, there are only three things that are translateable from a real-life human player into a computer game. One, strategic thinking--any time you go for a shield pack or duck into the shadows hoping to get the drop on your opponent, you're injecting your strategy into the game. Two, your sense of timing-- any time you give the game input, you're making a decision as to your timing. Finally, manual dexterity-- your accuracy with weapons fire or in moving your character are directly related to your ability to control your keyboard and mouse, or other input device.

Based on these three factors, Saber Combat has been completely rewritten in ProMod 1.0. Your ability to hit, be hit, break defenses, parry and knock away your opponent's saber are all now based upon a factor inherent to the player and not a random number generator: your aim. Read this twice: AIM IS LIFE. All aspects of physical combat, including front- and sideflip-kicks and some aspects of Force-powered combat have been linked to how accurately you are aiming at your opponent. Saber Duels in ProMod will always be won by someone with better Strategy, Timing and/or Accuracy. There will be no fluke victories.

So the question by the author is FINALLY answered (for the first time written on the thread, anyway), so I'll just sit back and keep watching the fun.

-Exar Dunnan
ExarDunnan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-29-2002, 10:00 AM   #28
ExarDunnan

OK, here's what the *official* promod website says. It's kinda confusing until the end, but the second half of the last paragraph explains it pretty well.

About ProMod
Ever since the release of jk2 there have been innumerable complaints about its multiplayer gameplay. The players whose expectations of deep, involving, strategic saber-play were not met have been very vocal on lucasforums.com and elsewhere. Whether it was the DFA attack in 1.02, the backsweeps/stabs of 1.03, or the effortless, skilless blocking of 1.04, there have been many imbalance issues that have sent the JK2 community to the messageboards to decry the failings of the latest patch. Ravensoft's too-much-or-too-little attempts at balancing have caused many dedicated players to shelve their game cd's for good.

With the rumormill reporting that Lucasarts is unwilling to fund any more patches to the game to correct things, it is left to the mod community to breathe life back into Jedi Outcast multiplayer. Many mods have attempted to do so, and I salute their efforts, but I think that there are none that have addressed the true, fundamental flaws of saber combat. Most of them concentrate on cosmetic changes such as choosing RGB saber colors or turning your player model into a towering giant. While these may serve as amusing diversions for a while, they aren't fixing things. Repainting a broken-down car won't help it run any better. The attempts that have been made have only changed things like the amount of damage certain saber swings do, or how much force power is used when you turn on absorb. These adjustments can help, but they fall far short of making the game a truly rewarding experience.

So what is it that needs to be fixed?

Two major things: One, the saber combat logic has been fundamentally flawed since the very first version. So much so that you can actually hit someone from behind while standing in front of them. The overly-lenient blocking system has allowed even those completely new to the game to wade into a grand saber melee and come out the other side with barely a scratch. Two, the logic is just foul with calls to random number generators. Any professional gamer will tell you that that is the death of any game that wishes to be played competitvely or professionally. Why bother training yourself to be better at a game whose major component is luck? How would you like to lose a tournament match with thousands of dollars on the line to the roll of virtual dice?

How are these things fixed in ProMod?

Random numbers must be replaced with input from the player at every opportunity. As such, there are only three things that are translateable from a real-life human player into a computer game. One, strategic thinking--any time you go for a shield pack or duck into the shadows hoping to get the drop on your opponent, you're injecting your strategy into the game. Two, your sense of timing-- any time you give the game input, you're making a decision as to your timing. Finally, manual dexterity-- your accuracy with weapons fire or in moving your character are directly related to your ability to control your keyboard and mouse, or other input device.

Based on these three factors, Saber Combat has been completely rewritten in ProMod 1.0. Your ability to hit, be hit, break defenses, parry and knock away your opponent's saber are all now based upon a factor inherent to the player and not a random number generator: your aim. Read this twice: AIM IS LIFE. All aspects of physical combat, including front- and sideflip-kicks and some aspects of Force-powered combat have been linked to how accurately you are aiming at your opponent. Saber Duels in ProMod will always be won by someone with better Strategy, Timing and/or Accuracy. There will be no fluke victories.

So the question by the author is FINALLY answered (for the first time written on the thread, anyway), so I'll just sit back and keep watching the fun.

-Exar Dunnan
ExarDunnan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-29-2002, 03:53 PM   #29
ArtifeX

I guess the short and skinny on what ProMod does is allow more variation and skill into saber vs. saber combat through the Combat Strength Crosshair and the bonus meter systems. The old system's blocking and saber hit-detection systems were so laughably broken that I felt compelled to fix them. I won't go into the specifics. I've detailed all the flaws of the official versions in many other threads, and in my old strategy guides (www.oculis.org/asc).

The best advice I can offer you for learning what ProMod does is to drop by my official server or the Praxeum Knights server while some of the regulars are in there at night. They've got a deep understanding of how the game works, and are generally ok with explaining the mod to new players. I may be in there myself from time to time.

Artifex *ASC*
ArtifeX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > exactly what does promod do?