lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: New screen
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-20-2002, 05:53 AM   #1
Igor S1
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 33
New screenshot

To liven up this forum a bit, here's one of the screenys from Ignac2 intro (though you'll need to see this in motion for full effect ):



http://maniac.adventuredevelopers.com/ -home of Ignac

Last edited by Igor S1; 12-20-2002 at 10:58 AM.
Igor S1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2002, 01:17 PM   #2
Erwin_Br
Swinging!
 
Erwin_Br's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: The Netherlands.
Posts: 321
LFN Staff Member 
*drool*

Very smooth, I always enjoy looking at your work

Do I see an anti-aliased character or is that because of resizing the image?

What engine are you using again?

--Erwin


Visit Adventure Developers! - Your hub for independent and hobbyist adventure development.
Erwin_Br is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2002, 01:54 PM   #3
jannar85
 
jannar85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mosjøen, Norway
Posts: 616
Great image, Igor!
It looks so...Disney and Igor-ish.
I just love your art, Igor.

I hope we'll see more wonderful games from you in the future, and man, I can't wait for Ignac2

Quote:
Originally posted by Erwin_Br
[BWhat engine are you using again?
[/B]
He's using AGS
Aren't we, AGS'ers, just lucky to have Igor together with us?


Regards,
Atle Ragnar Jarnæs Lerøy | Gamedeveloper

Runestone Entertainment

Stay tuned. Soon Launched.
Roger Foodbelly -.- Official Site
jannar85 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2002, 02:55 PM   #4
jannar85
 
jannar85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mosjøen, Norway
Posts: 616
Hello again Igor...
Sorry to ruin the happiness, but I showed Bill Tiller the image... (I hope you didn't mind... Don't be mad at me!)

Here's what he said (There's some very critic points, so don't say that I haven't warned you...):
- oh i like it
- it looks more like warner bros except brighter colors
- it is a bit too clean
- I'd like to see some texture or noise added to it. if that isn't there it looks too computer illustrated
- when one paints on paper the paper gives it a grain and the paint does too
- if you just do fill in photoshop it looks to weird too articficial
- he just need to add a subtle patterm, grain or noise to the image and I think it would look even better
- scale is bit off on the manniquin in the window. i would suggest he make the window bigger so that the manaquin looks almost as big as the man
- I thought it was a photo not a window.
- also his character is too dull. he might explore making him bright and the background more muted, rather then they way it is now
- the details in his face blend in too much with his skin color
- it gets lost
- I would increase the contrast on his face more, possibly darken the outline or lighten up his skin color


- this is an example of some inking colors that make the facial features clear
- his style looks a bit like john krisfaluci
- the ren and stimpy animator who now does the ripping friends

***********
Oh.... I still love it, Igor!
Really amazing!


Regards,
Atle Ragnar Jarnæs Lerøy | Gamedeveloper

Runestone Entertainment

Stay tuned. Soon Launched.
Roger Foodbelly -.- Official Site
jannar85 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2002, 05:56 PM   #5
Igor S1
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 33
Thanks!
Erwin- yes, they are antialiased

Jannar: first, thanks for showing it to Tiller. Ok, must confess that intro is already mostly finished and it would be too time consuming to go back and change some things, but thanks anyway

Now to write something in my "defense" :
as i said- this is not a scene from a game, it's AVI animation... the whole scene from screenshot is on for 5 seconds and is fully animated, so i found out that additional details on bg would be unnecessary.

Also, that's why the clean look- AVI compression adds too much noise already and most of the details are getting lost anyway (not to say gradients don't look so clean anymore).

Backgrounds for in-game locations are of course more detailed (the ones for cut-scenes/intro were colored entirely in Flash, to avoid Flash's problems that appear with bitmap pictures when you move the camera or zoom).

Agree about outline on character. I intentionaly made lines and coloring more "neutral", but i guess a bit darker lines and brighter coloring would really make his face easier to read.

Anyway, as i said, you need to see it in motion for real effect


Oh, and i'd like to say big thanks to Bill Tiller for taking his time to write down those great suggestions. I'm one of his BIG fans!


http://maniac.adventuredevelopers.com/ -home of Ignac

Last edited by Igor S1; 12-20-2002 at 08:00 PM.
Igor S1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2002, 11:22 AM   #6
jannar85
 
jannar85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mosjøen, Norway
Posts: 616
Quote:
Originally posted by Igor S1
Thanks!
Jannar: first, thanks for showing it to Tiller.
No problem! We talk almost regulary, when he's not busy. I didn't even ask him to comment it
Bill is always helpful.

Quote:
Originally posted by Igor S1
Ok, must confess that intro is already mostly finished and it would be too time consuming to go back and change some things, but thanks anyway

That's alright

Quote:
Originally posted by Igor S1

Now to write something in my "defense" :
as i said- this is not a scene from a game, it's AVI animation... the whole scene from screenshot is on for 5 seconds and is fully animated, so i found out that additional details on bg would be unnecessary.

Also, that's why the clean look- AVI compression adds too much noise already and most of the details are getting lost anyway (not to say gradients don't look so clean anymore).

Backgrounds for in-game locations are of course more detailed (the ones for cut-scenes/intro were colored entirely in Flash, to avoid Flash's problems that appear with bitmap pictures when you move the camera or zoom).

Agree about outline on character. I intentionaly made lines and coloring more "neutral", but i guess a bit darker lines and brighter coloring would really make his face easier to read.

Anyway, as i said, you need to see it in motion for real effect
Cool, I forgot to tell him all that

Quote:
Originally posted by Igor S1
Oh, and i'd like to say big thanks to Bill Tiller for taking his time to write down those great suggestions. I'm one of his BIG fans!
I'll tell him that!
(I'm also one of his BIG fans!)

I can't wait for Ignac2 to be finished. Do you have much left?


Regards,
Atle Ragnar Jarnæs Lerøy | Gamedeveloper

Runestone Entertainment

Stay tuned. Soon Launched.
Roger Foodbelly -.- Official Site
jannar85 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > AdventureDevelopers.com > Adventure Developer Discussion > General Chat > New screen

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:15 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.