lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: should there be civilians in JA?
Yes. 36 100.00%
No. 0 0%
I don't know yet. 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Civilians in JA
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-04-2003, 03:40 PM   #1
greedo626
Into this "Goth" thing

Location: The world sucks. It's not even worth dying. I'll just rot in my own misery. I'm incapable of feeling happiness.
Civilians in JA

scince you'll be able to choose what side of the Force you want to be on in JA, I think there should be civilian for you to kill. the lack of civilians was one big problem I had with JO, especially in city levels like Nar Shadaa. I think for JA there should be civilians in every city and most of the levels where there would be civilians. what do you think?

Am I still here?... meh...
greedo626 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-04-2003, 03:50 PM   #2
Wacky_Baccy

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
I'll be quite disappointed if there aren't any civilians in JK:Academy - it was one of my main complaints about JK2... It detracts from the atmosphere of the game when everything that moves is a target, IMHO (speaking form a light-side perspective, of course - civvy slaughtering can be fun too, though )

I hope we get to see some more populated areas in JK:Academy... It's nice to have 'normal' people going about their daily business while you're looking for someone or being followed =)

I miss digl. ...I found digl!
Wacky_Baccy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-04-2003, 03:53 PM   #3
StormHammer
Fallen Jedi

10 year veteran! 
Civilians are 100% essential to this game, IMHO. I find it difficult to envisage being a protector of law, order and peace, if the ones I'm supposed to be protecting are absent.

Not only should there be civilians...but Raven should really, seriously correct the problem of having mainly human NPCs as good or neutral characters. There were a few Ugnaughts in JO...but nowhere near enough, IMHO. There should be neutral characters from many and varied Star Wars races populating the cities this time around...it's essential to give it a proper Star Wars feel. I really don't want to have to be able to look at a certain character and say "he's an enemy because he's such-and-such race".

As you can tell, I'm pretty passionate about this.

So give us the civilians...and make them a wide variety of races.
StormHammer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-04-2003, 04:04 PM   #4
Agen
The Spoon Guy

I totally agree, Civiliians are essential but not as much to lag msot people's comptuers. A nice amount is needed I'm sure raven know what to do
Agen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-04-2003, 04:16 PM   #5
MuRaSaMuNe

Oh god yes! They better add some civilians if they are gonna make tatooine. Especially if they consider making a town in tatooine. They are usually populated with weird looking merchants and stuff.

Sexolicious sig by the pumpkin king, PIE
MuRaSaMuNe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-04-2003, 04:25 PM   #6
txa1265
Father Jedi

Forum Veteran 
Another thought ...

The interview - GamesDomain, I think - mentioned the intention to have more NPC's to interact with. I, like so many others, think it really is essential. Raven - don't worry about slowing down the action for a while. Games like Deus Ex didn't suffer from a bit of exploration.

Remember the level, I think it was in MotS, where there were neutral NPC's who would turn on you depending on your actions? That was so cool! I'd love to see that!

Mike

Dopelar effect (n.) The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
txa1265 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-04-2003, 04:59 PM   #7
boinga1
Pimpin' ain't easy

sure, why not? but only where approprite. Make them important- ie. make a mission where you must protect a Senator (preferably a hot one), or get information from civilians. Also give them brains-no 1 HP damage OMG GOTTA RUN AROUND LIKE A DOOFUS from JK.
boinga1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2003, 05:49 AM   #8
SettingShadow
Beyond the sun

Absolutely, the lack of civilians in JO was bad. I can't remember a single non-enemie-allie npc in the game... maybe I'm wrong. It kinda made the game feel lifeless. Oh sure, a big city like nar shadda completly empty of life other than Reelo's thugs (whatever that means)
SettingShadow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2003, 07:19 AM   #9
HertogJan
Beer is good for you!

I can remember 1, on Bespin, near the room with fire you have to cross using force speeeeed, I believe they're called Ugnaught or something

But we need more civilians, like in the bar on nar-shadda in JK1. That reminds me, the Chiss bartender is something of a civilian too right? I mean, he didn't fight

HertogJan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2003, 08:38 AM   #10
Agen
The Spoon Guy

Out of sight out minds....
Yeh well we really need more civillians, not just floating around but actually doing some stuff rather than walking.
Agen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2003, 08:41 AM   #11
Hekx
Republic Mofo

Hot Topic Starter 
Civilian NPCs, even personal droids is a great idea.
Hopefully they won't cause server lag though.
Hekx is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2003, 03:12 PM   #12
Elliot334

Quote:
Originally posted by boinga1
sure, why not? but only where approprite. Make them important- ie. make a mission where you must protect a Senator (preferably a hot one), or get information from civilians. Also give them brains-no 1 HP damage OMG GOTTA RUN AROUND LIKE A DOOFUS from JK.
ROFL, but I loved that in JK, walking into a room, firing a shot in the air with my Bryer, and watching the whole room explode:

"Waaaaaaa, what's happening!?"

Then I would die laughing watching the female civilians flail their arms in the air, then stop and resume their conversation a few seconds later. lol

"Take your war somewhere else!"
Elliot334 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2003, 08:36 PM   #13
Pnut_Man
Existential to the Core

Quote:
Originally posted by Elliot334
ROFL, but I loved that in JK, walking into a room, firing a shot in the air with my Bryer, and watching the whole room explode:

"Waaaaaaa, what's happening!?"

Then I would die laughing watching the female civilians flail their arms in the air, then stop and resume their conversation a few seconds later. lol

"Take your war somewhere else!"
*Laughs with Elliot* Ya, those were the days my man
I want to walk into a cantina, bust out my saber and see people look up at me in fear!

"Get away! We don't want jedi here!"

"What did you say?!?!?!

*Slices off Civilian's head as the rest of the civilians run in terror (waving their arms)*

Oh the possiblities...MWHAHAAHAHHA

- Formally hated, praised, and known as Pnut_Man
Pnut_Man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2003, 08:48 PM   #14
Tesla

Yeah i agree that civilans will add so more realism to JA,and also what if when you used force jump the civilans would look and say things like "that's amazing" or just run for cover like they do in Bounty Hunter
Tesla is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2003, 08:56 PM   #15
AlzWisHum

I am with ya StormHammer, it should have all kind of civies, in different clothings and species.

I am a Jedi! Like my daddy before me...
AlzWisHum is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2003, 09:05 PM   #16
Silent_Thunder

I agree with (100% according to the poll) people in this thread... It would be terribly disapointing if JA was as lifeless as JO. Sure, there was the bartender (please nobles jedis, not in the faces), a few droids, and a bunch of prisoners... But we need more than that.

I mean, just look at all the wasted potential in the swamp levels. You could have a whole lot of animal life running around in their... And not necissarily dangerous ones either.

Narshadaa was a joke.. even JK had friendly people there....
Silent_Thunder is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2003, 12:33 AM   #17
Lianiotte

Yeah, the civilians add the life to JK games.
Seriously, really.
We were dead without civilians in JO.

I barely have anything more to say. People here already have great ideas.

Great ideas Pnut_Master and Telsa Trooper

He who fights with monsters he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
Lianiotte is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2003, 04:30 AM   #18
HertogJan
Beer is good for you!

I don't think the swamp was the best place to have animal life Most ppl experienced heavy framerate drops there, lol!

But I want civilians!! I want a full bar, the mos eisley cantina scene!

'Leave this one alone, he's not worth it'

*strikes arm of with lightsaber*

HertogJan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Academy > Civilians in JA