lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Quake/Radiant texture scale inaccuracies
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-02-2003, 04:46 PM   #1
Scarlett

Red face Quake/Radiant texture scale inaccuracies

I've just started using Radiant, and before i work with an editor i like to get comfortable with how it works before i do anything serious. So, i was doing tests with the texture sizes and scaling, to see how they're handled... and there's something very wrong.

See for yourself:

Radiant Shot

Quake Shot

The numbers are the texture resolutions, none of them were purposly scaled in Radiant except the right wall. Which was scaled down x2, so it'd be at the same size as the 64 res texture. Now, i'm really confused about how this is handled.. this shouldn't be happening should it? The 64 res texture seems to have kept the same scale as in Radiant, but then the 128 res texture was scaled down x2 for no apparent reason, and then the right wall which was purposly scaled down x2, went down another x2.

Does Quake just not like 128 res textures? What can be done about this? I've only tested 64 and 128 thus far, so maybe (hopefully) that just happens to 128 res textures for some reason...
Scarlett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2003, 06:17 PM   #2
Manquesa

you do know that if you press the "s" button you can adjust the texture size and position right?

Finished Projects:
Sith Terminator
Awing
Tie-Interceptor
Y-Wing
Death Glider
Slave 1
Ep. 3 Jedi Starfighter

Current Projects:
T-16 Skyhopper
Manquesa is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2003, 08:12 PM   #3
Scarlett

Yeah, that's how i purposly scaled the right wall. Apparently you don't understand what the problem is if you asking such a question though.

To put it simpily, the 128 res texture is scaled down twice of what it should be. Done automaticly. Either by Quake or the map portalizer.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:19 PM   #4
Leslie Judge
Teacher

I do remember that a few people had this kind of problem with texture scaling. Try to search the forums.

L. J.
Leslie Judge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2003, 09:34 PM   #5
Manquesa

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarlett
Yeah, that's how i purposly scaled the right wall. Apparently you don't understand what the problem is if you asking such a question though.

To put it simpily, the 128 res texture is scaled down twice of what it should be. Done automaticly. Either by Quake or the map portalizer.
Just checking man, no need to get all touchy and what not. You did say your new to radiant and haven't really used it next. Sorry for going for the easiest answer first.

Finished Projects:
Sith Terminator
Awing
Tie-Interceptor
Y-Wing
Death Glider
Slave 1
Ep. 3 Jedi Starfighter

Current Projects:
T-16 Skyhopper
Manquesa is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2003, 11:17 PM   #6
Scarlett

I thought you might take offense to that, i didn't mean it the way you're taking it, sorry.

I think i have a good idea about what's going on here now after testing out 32, 256, and 512 resolutions. Without messing with the texture scales or anything in Radiant, no matter what resolution the textures are always set to the same size, unless i scale them in Radiant. I'm thinking that maybe the map portalizer needs to have access to the textures to get dimension info to setup that stuff up correctly, which i haven't been doing. sof2map is very picky about where everything is, and the resource path structure.. if you've noticed, i have mine setup a bit different.

So anyway, i'll look into that. Posting my problems always helps me figure them out on my own, if nothing else, for some reason
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > JO Mapping > Quake/Radiant texture scale inaccuracies