lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Brush Question
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-07-2003, 12:28 PM   #1
Mr. Chopper

Brush Question

Can I 'merge' two brushes? I'm wondering because since I (and everyone else) has to cut brushes to make doorways and such, I have alot of...extra brushes. Which in turn causes the textures to look a little odd in the light. So basically, is there any way I can turn two brushes into one?

Since we're on the subject of lighting.... how do you do it? I've read richdiesal's tutorial on lighting, which was real basic. This is a light, this is how you add a light, etc... I don't have a good grasp of lighting placement, intensity, etc, and it shows in my map. That's the only thing I have yet to grasp.
Mr. Chopper is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2003, 03:33 PM   #2
JerAir

Post nope

you can't. if you do, they will just z-fight and that is not a good thing. but you can make different walls or part of walls different unless they are custom
JerAir is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2003, 04:00 PM   #3
wedge2211
Commander, Rogue Squadron

Post yup

If you are using GtkRadiant 1.2.11 or later, there is a CSG Merge function that can combine two brushes, as long as the brushes have a convex hull when they combine (if they don't, Radiant will just tell you that and won't do it). Or you can always delete one of the brushes and extend the other into the empty space.

wedge2211 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2003, 04:44 PM   #4
Mr. Chopper

What's a concave hull?
Old 05-07-2003, 07:29 PM   #5
JerAir

Post oohhh...

i have jk2 radiant and not gtk. i didnt know that gtk had that function. now i understand
JerAir is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2003, 07:37 PM   #6
000nate

excuses excuses

excuses....excuses

-NATE
Right now I'm not assigned yet to anything...but am working on the team for the darkforces mod.
000nate is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2003, 07:51 PM   #7
Leslie Judge
Teacher

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Chopper
What's a concave hull?
It is the opposite of the convex hull mentioned by wedge.

You know, convex is when you can draw a line between any two points of the object and the line will never go outside of the object. Concave is when the line can go outside.

L. J.
Leslie Judge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2003, 08:29 PM   #8
Mr. Chopper

..... does that mean I have to further cut the two brushes I'm trying to merge so there's a line through both of them? I's stumped.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:58 PM   #9
wedge2211

It just means that there cannot be any two points on the surfaces of the two brushes such that an imaginary line connecting the two will pass outside of the two brushes. Just hit, CSG Merge, and if it says they have a concave hull, you can't merge them, so don't try again, that's all.

(Thanks LJ for the geometrical explanation!)

Old 05-07-2003, 09:39 PM   #10
Mr. Chopper

well crap..... because on the walls of my map where I've cut them, they look like crap with light shining on them. I mean, it's obvious where I Cut them because you can see the line. If I can I'll post a screenshot... but how can I fix this major... MAJOR headache?
Old 05-07-2003, 10:59 PM   #11
Obsidian-Jovani

Quote:
Can I 'merge' two brushes?
Well you could select touching brushes and make them into a func_group.

Binary Sunset Studios

WIP: A SP Project entitled "Resurgence"
Obsidian-Jovani is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-08-2003, 06:04 AM   #12
lassev
cryptoscripter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Chopper
well crap..... because on the walls of my map where I've cut them, they look like crap with light shining on them. I mean, it's obvious where I Cut them because you can see the line. If I can I'll post a screenshot... but how can I fix this major... MAJOR headache?
To me, this sounds more like a texturing problem. But I could be wrong, of course. The screenshot will undoubtly clear things.
lassev is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-08-2003, 01:24 PM   #13
Mr. Chopper

You asked, you get.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/coz1978/bad1.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/coz1978/bad2.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/coz1978/bad3.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/coz1978/bad4.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/coz1978/bad5.jpg
I've circled the problems... when I change the lighting, they either get better or worse, so I'm fairly convinced it's a lighting problem.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:24 PM   #14
wedge2211

Shots 1, 3, 4, and 5 you could fix by merging the offending brushes if you can manage that. If you have GtkRadiant, just select two brushes to merge and click the CSG Merge button. Shot 2 cannot be fixed by merging, because those brushes have a concave hull...there's an "inside" corner, see?

What compile did you run? In all likelihood, if this is a test compile, the problem will go away when you run a final compile (SOF2MAP bsp fullVIS extra or q3map2 -light -super 2 -filter -bounce X)

Old 05-09-2003, 04:58 AM   #15
lassev
cryptoscripter

I'll be damned. I have never seen anything like that before! This must be some sort of an MP issue, so I'm totally incapable of giving any more opinions. I hope you'll get rid of that bug soon. It sure must be irritating enough.
lassev is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > JO Mapping > Brush Question