lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Some Handy Tips for SP Editors...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-28-2002, 06:53 AM   #81
AKPiggott

JC and Paul may be done by the same voice actor, but that doesn't mean they used applications to distort his voice. Most professional voice actors can act all kinds of voices. Look at the Simpsons, there's only about three or four regular voice actors that do they entire cast.

Enter the Dark Lord, coming soon. Watch the Teaser Trailer.
AKPiggott is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2002, 12:22 PM   #82
Emon
Strong Bad's Henchman

Oh, yes, I know... I'm just saying you could do voice editing to get one voice actor to sound different enough to do different characters. It's a good alternative when you don't have professional voice actors.
Emon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-09-2002, 08:43 AM   #83
Phersirion

how come there havent been new posts since November? If you are upto it AKPiggott, I got some questions to ask and for you to answer them since you seem like a really 1337 mapper. Do you use radiant? (I havent read the whole thing just some snippets of it)
Phersirion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2002, 11:11 PM   #84
Emon
Strong Bad's Henchman

Uh, he edits for JO. He HAS to use Radiant...
Old 12-11-2002, 11:28 PM   #85
Shadriss

If anyone has a link or some such for a tut on cutscene scripting, I'd appreciate it. I've been looking (most likely in ALL the wrong places) and have yet to find one... would be a shame to have a thread like this that says "use cutscenes" and not be able to follow it's advice, eh?

Shadriss is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-12-2002, 06:49 PM   #86
Marth

Shadriss go here http://www.geocities.com/kengomaps/tutorials.html
Marth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-14-2002, 09:40 AM   #87
AKPiggott

Yeah Phersirion, feel free to ask question on this thread anytime.

Old 12-28-2002, 07:34 PM   #88
Gonkish

I'm still wondering as to how one would go about changing the default color of the player's lightsaber. In my case I want it to be green. Anyone know of any tutorials or other fun stuff like that?

--Gonk

Senior Newsie, http://www.swgalaxies.net/
Gonkish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-28-2002, 08:14 PM   #89
Emon
Strong Bad's Henchman

Gonk, AK made a thread on that.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...threadid=52281

To fix the problem of the saber changing color after clicking fire after you die before hitting a checkpoint, put a target_autosave at the start of the level, I think you want a trigger_always, it should trigger once (I think) when the level starts, and do a checkpoint save, so when you click fire to reload you have the proper saber color. If the trigger_always won't work, just put a trigger_once under the player or something.

(To clear it up: The problem itself was if you hadn't hit a checkpoint in the level yet, and you died, hitting fire to load from the start of the level caused the saber to go back blue. If you saved your game and loaded it, it works fine. If you hit a checkpoint, then use fire to load after you die, it works fine. So to fix that we just make sure a checkpoint is triggered on level start)
Old 12-31-2002, 11:02 AM   #90
Yun the Sith

Quick question, and I'm posting it here because it might be good for future reference. When it comes down to lighting, is it better to have an abvous source, say like a street lamp, or not?
Yun the Sith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2002, 07:53 PM   #91
Gonkish

Obvious sources make it more realistic, which is usually a good thing. Sometimes you may just need to place a random light just to get the point across, but for the most part, light with an obvious source is better. (Even if that source is the sky, :P)

--Gonk

Senior Newsie, http://www.swgalaxies.net/
Gonkish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2003, 08:04 AM   #92
Livingdeadjedi

HEY AKPiggot could you email me some hints on how to do SP editing, scripting and Cutscenes ??
ive made loads of MP maps but we need some good SP maps hey
OH if you want to convert my Carbon freeze 2 map to SP just ask =]
email is philip.thejedi@ntlworld.com

LiVingDeAdJedi AOTC TC ( clonewarsmod) Senior map maker
Livingdeadjedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2003, 06:00 AM   #93
AKPiggott

Best thing to do when it comes to scripts LDJ is teach youself. Read a few tutorials and then study some of the Raven sample scripts, you should do fine. If you find a specific problem or query, then simply ask on the forums.

I also recommend that you check out as many SP games as possible. I've always been someone who likes to play a lot of FPS games which I've always thought gives me a lot of good ideas. It doesn't just limit to FPS though, you could get a variety of ideas from adventure games and RPGs.

Old 01-04-2003, 06:08 AM   #94
Emon
Strong Bad's Henchman

Examples of good SP:

System Shock 2
Thief I
Thief II
Deus Ex
NOLF
NOLF 2
RtCW (Isn't incredible, but still good)
Jedi Knight (the puzzles)
Old 01-06-2003, 07:40 PM   #95
Kengo

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Emon
[B]Examples of good SP:

System Shock 2

Damn right! For me the most atmospheric game of all time, all down to great use of ambient sound, top quality voice acting and a slow build-up of tension...

Sorry, I couldn't help it, I always feel that game deserved a lot more credit and recognition than it got in general.

I'm gonna try to improve those cutscene tutorials to move them beyond being so basic, but damn it getting affecting NPCs to work seems a bit too random for my liking

------------------------------------------------
www.map-review.com
Kengo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2003, 12:41 AM   #96
Takeoffyouhoser

I jsut downloaded and played the system shock 2 Demo. the problem with playing a game like this is not having the interactivity with items in Jedi Outcast like in System shock 2 or Deus Ex, or, being able to search a dead NPC for an item or two.

will Imperial Brewery ever be finished? The odds are 2 to the power of 276,709 to 1 against, and rising!" -- Me
Takeoffyouhoser is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-19-2003, 12:59 PM   #97
Darth berserker

I need a tutorial in SP-mapping. How do I make the bots move, how do I give keys to imperials, how do I make the keys unlock doors? I just don´t understand anything...

"Varför ska man leva för varandra,
blir allt så himla enkelt bara man är två?
Det där med kärlek kan fungera bra för andra,
själv väntar jag så länge som det går"
Darth berserker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-21-2003, 04:01 PM   #98
AKPiggott

Well that's the problem.

Because JO uses the Quake III engine you can find all sorts of tutorials on how to make pretty places and atmospheric touch-ups, but there are certain things that are specific to the game that are just too minor to write a tutorial on.

Although the bot moving thing isn't a small, minor problem. It's been covered before in many tutorials. You basically need to place "waypoints" and "point_combats". Look for a tutorial, it'll explain it better than I can.

As for the Officers with key problems. I'm not really sure because I've never used it. I can only assume you setup a deathscript for the officer that makes him drop his key. One thing you must remember to do is not make the Officer force pushable, you push him over a tall ledge and you're in trouble. The key will be unretrievable.

Adding to Emon's list:

Medal of Honour (demonstrates good use of in-game scripting)
Max Payne (shows off great action sequences)
Aliens vs. Predator 2 (gives good examples of cutscene use)
Half-Life (shows a good way of telling a good story through first person)

Elaborating more on Emon's examples:

Deus Ex (showcases the potential of interactivity and multiple routes)
NOLF / NOLF 2 (good examples on cutscene use as well as use of humour)
Thief I / Thief II (examples of stealth)
RTCW (great atmospheric techniques that you can learn from)

It might also be worth looking through other games like Serious Sam, Soldier of Fortune 1 & 2 and maybe even games like Tomb Raider and Mafia. I can't think of any specific examples of things you could learn from these games, but playing through them could certainly trigger one or two ideas.

Old 01-22-2003, 10:29 PM   #99
Emon
Strong Bad's Henchman

In addition to NOLF and NOLF 2, they also demonstrate non-linear levels. They may not be as non-linear as Deus Ex or System Shock 2, e.g. you only have multiple ways to end up at one place, not multiple ways to complete the mission.

RtCW shows off good level design, too. It's more linear than other games, but there were quite a few areas that made for some great gunfights or short action sequences, providing the player is somewhat experianced. I've found that the more experiance a player gains, the more fun a game can be, because you're able to do lots of tricks or manuevers that a lesser experianced player might not know, which can often greatly beef up the fun.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:08 AM   #100
AKPiggott

Yeah.. also RTCW has very realistic and logical level design. I.E. It is completely devoid of those really stupid puzzles that don't really make much sense (like JO has). For example, the Doomgiver level where you have to make contact with Rogue Squadron, who in their right mind would design it so that to tune into the correct frequency you have to jump about a load of floating rooms.

Also, it's a real oldie but I recommend Duke Nukem 3D. Why? Because it has fantastic level design and extremely interactive enviornments. There's a lot to learn from that game.

Old 01-23-2003, 10:59 AM   #101
JDKnite188

From an earlier post at the Massassi.net forums. . .

I was thinking about something. Most levels are linear in story and gameplay unless they are really complex and long. Most of the time they aren't really complex and long. That brings up the debate in use of in-game choices.
In a cutscene you could have the player make choices about the game scenario. Lets say you have Kyle at a bar trying to find a criminal's ship and the criminal. Lets name the criminal Bob. Kyle needs to ask a bartender. Some choices of questions/commands could be:

1. You will tell me of a criminal named Bob.
2. I'm a Jedi and I don't care to swing the saber. Tell me where Bob is or you will regret it.
3. So, any dangerous people I should stay away from around here?

Each option would have a different affect on the outcome of the situation and the rest of the level's story. Option 1 could be used with Force Persuasion to "persuade" the bartender into telling where Bob is. The bartender would comply and give the location of Bob without resistance. Option 2 would be considered a threat by the bartender, and the bartender might respond by alerting a gang to kill Kyle. Option 3 would be another way to get the bartender to tell where Bob is, but it doesn't require force powers or threats.

To code the options someone would develop a script of the cutscene and midway through the cutscene they might write:

bind f1 run option1
bind f2 run option2
bind f3 run option3

The options and the appropriate button for Kyle to select that option would be written in the subtitles/captions of the cutscene.
"option1", "option2", and "option3" are scripts that have code for the event that happens when an option is picked.

People, take a look. See what you think.

MY STEPS FOR MAKING A LEVEL (THEORETICAL)
1. Archi, funcs, and lighting as progress is made
2. NPCs
3. Scripts and related topics.

Cheers,
JDKnite188

Hopin' LEC is going to get on track and bring us a decent JK for the JKers of 1997.
JDKnite188 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2003, 03:24 PM   #102
AKPiggott

Yeah. I'm doing stuff like that with Party Crasher. It's very simple to do. Basically there's a puzzle at the start that can be done two ways and the last part of the level has two different routes to complete it. There's also another puzzle that has more than one way to complete. It adds a bit of replayability and not hard to do at all.

Old 02-04-2003, 06:42 PM   #103
Marth

Can someone tell me in detail how to change kyle to a diff model like luke or something?
Marth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2003, 07:28 AM   #104
AKPiggott

It's pretty easy. All you have to do is copy the "models/luke" directory, rename it to "models/kyle" and edit the "model_default.skin" file paths to point to the renamed directory. Try to find a tutorial or thread on it for more in-depth issue.

I also want to point out that I've written a cutscene article that all SP editors should perhaps check out.

Old 04-15-2003, 05:02 PM   #105
Louis

Great thread guys!!! I'm a friend of Kengo's, just starting to do some editing (I intend to do strictly SP).

First map will be on the Death Star II. More info to come soon once I actually can actually build a map (I understand the stuff just find in concept but gets a little confusing in Radiant, I'm using GtK, and it will just take some time...just started last week).

Thats about it, but I recall someone asking how to make those cool Star Wars intros...here's a link.

http://www.campway.ro/DarkKnight/tut_crawl.htm

Louis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2003, 12:53 PM   #106
Patrick_H

I've heard a lot about Piggott's work. Unfortunately I've never been too into JK to try it out. I hope to play "Party Crasher"- DLing the trailer now.

I like this thread and its stressing on quality SP stories.

WOW. Very cool trailer! I had no idea it was going to have so much animated acting! I have a good handle on architecture, but all the scripting of JO is new to me.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw in my words about a good opening text crawl- a must for any Star Wars add-on. I have been working on a multi-level mod for Dark Forces (yes, ancient), and I also feel letting the story unfold in-game is what makes it work. A textcrawl starts it out on a good foot:

THE DARK TIDE

Episode I: Wasteland Survivor

It is a time of great peril for Luke Skywalker. As he
travels to Tatooine to rescue Han Solo, the Rebellion
learns of a mysterious plot against him.

In an effort to save Luke from the danger that awaits him,
Princess Leia has dispatched the mercenary Kyle Katarn
on an urgent mission of warning.

Katarn and his mission officer Jan Ors have arrived
in the Tatooine star system only to find
themselves ensnared in a vicious space battle
against Imperial forces from which there is
little hope of escape....

and then,

THE DARK TIDE

Episode II: Nightfall

It is a desperate hour for Kyle Katarn.
While travelling to warn Luke Skywalker
of impending danger, Kyle's ship was
shot down over the skies of Tatooine.

As Kyle scoured the Jundland Wastes in
a dire search for a means of escape, his
mission officer, Jan Ors, was ambushed
and captured by the Empire.

With the aid of fellow mercenary DASH
RENDAR onboard the Outrider, Kyle
now races across the desert towards
the Imperial garrison to rescue his
fallen comrade . . . .

Anyways, Episode III and IV are almost done for DF, and Episode V (the last) will be my first JO SP level. My current project is a MP version of the Imperial Garrison on Tatooine seen in The Dark Tide II: Nightfall.
Patrick_H is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2003, 12:19 AM   #107
klyntun

Newbie seeks advice

I see there haven't been any posts to this thread for a while, but hopefully somebody out there will see this eventually. I'm just getting started mapping for single player. I'm taking it slow, testing the waters, checking out existing maps for gameplay and textures. I know I read somewhere in a Jedi Outcast forum that it is possible to open a multiplayer map in single player mode. Does anyone know how to do this? Any help in this matter would be much appreciated. I have what I think is a great story in mind, and I'm eager to get started!

"That was zen, this is tao."

Last edited by klyntun; 08-17-2003 at 06:17 PM.
klyntun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2003, 06:34 AM   #108
Leslie Judge
Teacher

Just open them with the map or devmap command form the console as you would do with a SP map.

L. J.
Leslie Judge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2003, 06:19 PM   #109
klyntun

Thanks, L.J.!

Never thought it would be so easy. I'm having some fun exploring various MP maps, although it is a bit eerie; like poor Kyle is the only person in a vast empty world.

"That was zen, this is tao."
klyntun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > JO Mapping > Some Handy Tips for SP Editors...