lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Kyles saber? what saber did you like?
Kyle's blue Lightsaber 24 50.00%
Kyle's Green lightsaber 22 45.83%
Kyle's Orange lightsaber (MotS) 2 4.17%
Yun's Yellow Lightsaber 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: kyles lightsaber
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-18-2003, 02:36 PM   #1
Jaden007
Rookie

kyles lightsaber

what lightsaber do you like best? Kyles Green (jk) or Blue (JK2)

I liked the color green better but you had more moves with the blue. Whatta you think? BLUE OR GREEN?

"The force is a powerful ally, and a dreadful foe" Jedi master Yoda

WWJD
Jaden007 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2003, 02:45 PM   #2
Sivy
coming soon

Forum Veteran 
blue, cause it matched the color of his eyes and the green clashed with his tunic... er... i mean..

*runs*
Sivy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2003, 03:26 PM   #3
|GG|Carl
Invisible

Green is better.

If kyle would have had a green saber in JO, it would have been very cool...
|GG|Carl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2003, 04:27 PM   #4
Jaden007
Rookie

I did have green in JO you do the SABERCOLOR "color" w/o the quotes
but you have to do devmap 1st

WWJD
Old 09-18-2003, 06:01 PM   #5
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

In Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, Kyle should still use Yun's yellow Lightsaber. I don't know why he didn't in JO like he did in MotS.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2003, 01:54 PM   #6
Nemios

Quote:
Originally posted by TK8252MJL
In Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, Kyle should still use Yun's yellow Lightsaber. I don't know why he didn't in JO like he did in MotS.
When Obi-Wan lost his saber in EpI against Darth Maul he didn't keep the one from Qui-Gon. In epII we see him with its own rebuilt from scratch. Kyle probably did the same and in facts in Mots he has an orange saber.

After his failure as a Jedi he probably throwed away his orange one and started to train as a student at the academy with a new blue lightsaber, the one he left to Luke after deciding he would never be a good Jedi.

That's just a theory

"I find your lack of first person lightsaber disturbing" - Darth Vader
"May the first person lightsaber be with you" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Nemios is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2003, 01:55 AM   #7
TiBo
Rookie

The green one is way way way way way cooler then the blue one. Because green is my favourite color, and blue isnt good for kyle.

Let me tell you about the uplift mofo party plan....
TiBo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2003, 11:49 PM   #8
Jaden007
Rookie

actually he put his green lightsaber away and vowed he would never use it again (after MotS) but in JK2 he went back and found it and it was BLUE to bad.....liked green better, But jk3 you arent even Kyle you are a created student and choose your saber and are a student of Luke and Kyle

WWJD
Old 09-21-2003, 01:57 PM   #9
govf_5k
Lurker

Thumbs up none

He put away yuns yellow saber didn't he??
anyway green is cool when you have been playing with
blue the whole game but going back to blue after playing for
long time with red of something all in all green is better
govf_5k is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2003, 10:37 PM   #10
SpaceButler13
Rookie

I think they chose blue just because if you try out the colors with the swings, it leaves the cleanest trails for whatever reason.

Kyle Katarn = thin George Lucas
Ahhh, company politics....
SpaceButler13 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2003, 06:31 AM   #11
Shotokan

Guys... Boc destroyed his green saber...

[edit] Played JK a bit and have seen that Yun's saber is infact, yellow (my mistake). BUT in MotS, the saber is orangish in color. Possibly some continuity mishap?

Online name: _Leviathan_

Last edited by Shotokan; 09-22-2003 at 07:09 AM.
Shotokan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2003, 07:02 AM   #12
Wes Janson

Yun had a yellow/gold saber. It wasn't orange. Regardless, I had always assumed that he used Yun's saber in MotS... Ah well..

Here's what I think: Kyle still used Yun's saber in MotS, despite the slight change in color. In-between the events of JK and JKII, Kyle seems to have been doing nothing but making a living and running jobs for the New Republic. Building a lightsaber takes dedication and time, two of something I don't think Kyle really had at the time. Especially after his touch to the dark side in JK's events, I think he's tried to concentrate more of his time elsewhere rather than cultivate his Jedi abilities (at the risk of failing).

But as a precaution, he probably kept Yun's saber handy as a rememberence of sorts for the Jedi who gave his life to save his.

And of course when Mara entered the picture, she was a half-assed Jedi the same as Kyle; and she didn't want to rehash her dark endeavors again, either. Very common ground. But what's natural for two half-assed Jedi to do? Give each other some tips and tricks. And ice-breaker. And for all we know, Mara could have helped Kyle repair Yun's saber after some kind of malfunction or jewel short (hence the color change). After all, she's no stranger to lightsabers and their maintainence (and this is where I say that the MotS broke continuity by giving Mara a purple saber instead of blue, as she uses Luke's father's saber, not her own.....).

After the events of MotS, I'd still have liked if Kyle used Yun's saber just as an added link to the past games. But the writer for JO said that they had to use blue for "Georgian Continuity" (that's my term for what Georgie boy says is SW movie canon, not EU). The good Jedi always use blue/green, the dark use red. So Kyle has to have a blue saber for story purposes, one way or another.

So there are a couple of things that could have happened here. One, Kyle destroyed Yun's saber after his harrowing scuffle with the dark side in MotS, using a Sith saber in its place. Or, to put things right, he returned Yun's saber to it's rightful place as a memorial for Yun (probably at the Vally of the Jedi at or near the carving).

In any case, he did what Mara couldn't pull herself to do and went to Luke for guidance so that he wouldn't fall to the dark side again. He went through the riggors of training, putting all of his personal affairs on hold. He built a lightsaber, learned to channel in the good, and not the bad... But he obviously gave it up, either because he didn't want to chance falling back to the dark side, or he just plain needed to go out and make a living (he never seemed like the kind of guy who could settle down and be a student...) So he gave Luke the saber and went on his marry way, fooling himself into thinking he could just forget about his past and his inherent abilities with the Force.

And then Jan is "murdered" (*wink*wink*) and he runs back to Luke for his saber to exact revenge. You all know the story.

Anyway, that's my take on this. But me not being a total stickler for continuity, I changed both JO and JA to have Kyle using a golden lightsaber (Yun's) despite the likelihood of him having built another. Hey, if Mara can kick arse with Anakin's saber, why can't Kyle do the same with Yun's? Now if only I could find Yun's actual hilt to put into the game, I'd be set with that...

Wes Janson is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2003, 04:17 PM   #13
Pedro The Hutt
Jedi Knight

From what I hear MotS is treated as a "what if story" and has never been really been included in the life story of Kyle. (that and seeing that MotS was about 5 years after JK , it really sort of took place where JKII did)
Pedro The Hutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2003, 06:26 PM   #14
Wes Janson

I heard different. I remember some kind of interview or explination from the writer of JO, and he said that MotS actually happened -- and it did so before before JO.

Wes Janson is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2003, 06:39 PM   #15
Sam Fisher
eh.

I like his Blue one better. It fits him.

stuck in an eternity of sunshine and chocolate.
Sam Fisher is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-24-2003, 02:16 PM   #16
Damar Stiehl

If you go by the "Knights of the Old Republic" interpretation, which is now semi-canonical:

Blue is the color of Jedi Guardians (sabre masters)
Yellow is the color of Jedi Sentinels (fighter/mages)
Green is the color of Jedi Consulars (Force masters)

And of course, Purple is the color of Jedi Pimps.

Seeing how Kyle was throwing all sorts of Force powers around, green is more fitting for him I think.

Our hearts are free from anger,
Our cause we know is just,
Kill not for joy or hatred,
We fight because we must.
Damar Stiehl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2003, 04:46 AM   #17
AJL

blue is better than green...

because green effect is somehow less transparent
(doesn't look clean) In the game i mean...
AJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2003, 06:45 AM   #18
Shotokan

I wish the green saber looked cleaner in game... IMO green suits him better.

Online name: _Leviathan_
Shotokan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2003, 08:58 PM   #19
lotr-sam0711
Rookie

Angry

I wanted yellow, not blue everyone has blue(Like Luke,Obi Wan,Kyle IN KJII,Who knows how many in AOTC....):P"".
lotr-sam0711 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2003, 05:09 PM   #20
Arán

I wanted green in JO but instead they chose blue *amn
So i cheated to get green

-=[ FF7 ]=-
-=[ Rpg ]=-
Arán is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2003, 06:30 PM   #21
shukrallah
White Dragon

I dont know, but the green looked great in Dark Forces II... but in JKII the green looked out of place sort of, at least with kyle. The blue looked better.
shukrallah is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-11-2003, 06:20 PM   #22
Jaden X
Rookie

If you haven't remembered, Kyle used almost all colors of sabers (every single one except red and purple)...

And BTW, I haven't played KotOR and I don't know english THAAAT much. What's a "pimp"?

Join ME... It is your DESTINY!
Jaden X is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-12-2003, 01:15 PM   #23
MasterN64

i am going to have to say a double-blade saber with green and blue, or maybe a dual saber with green and blue. I cant make up my mind!!!!! I have been pondering about this for 10 min. So i think double or dual saber is best.

Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the presence of fear and yet the will to go on...
MasterN64 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-13-2003, 09:58 AM   #24
Crow_Nest
Forum Spammer

i say blue

Xbox 360 Gamertag: cr0wnes7
Crow_Nest is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-16-2003, 04:12 PM   #25
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
I played the whole game of JK2 with an orange saber, because that's what he had in MotS, and since the events of MotS lead up to the events in JK2, it only made sense that he'd use that instead of making a brand new saber then giving it to Luke and giving it up.

In JA I have him using the same orange saber again.

The history of Kyle's sabers:
(spoilers from the JK series)
spoiler:

Green saber (originally possessed by Yoda, given to Qu Rahn for safe keeping, he gave it to Morgan Katarn, who put it in WeeGee to save it for Kyle).

Destroyed by Boc.

Yellow saber. Yun dies saving Kyle's life, because "a Jedi deserves a battle." Kyle takes the yellow saber and uses it to defeat the last three Dark Jedi and fulfills his mission, staying true to the Light Side.

Orange Saber. Not stated, but sometime after the events of JK1, and prior to the events of Mysteries of the Sith Kyle likely constructs his own lightsaber, with an orange blade. He uses it to train with Mara Jade and accomplish many missions for the New Republic. When he almost uses it to kill Mara under the influence of the Dark power of the Sith Temple on Dromuun Kaas, he gives it up, vowing to avoid temptation by giving up the Jedi way.

Blue Saber (not explained, non-in-universe read-between-the-lines explanation is that the new saber colors canon policy prevented Raven from using any colors but green or blue, and since green was already used, they chose blue for aesthetic reasons). This is the saber he gives to Luke, so if we take it at face value he gave up the Orange one and then constructed a new Blue one then gave it up as well. Taking the story as its been going, we can probably assume that they would have used the Orange one if they could have.

Even if we assume that MotS was an anomaly (no reason to, since the events of MotS directly lead into the events of JK2), he still should have Yun's yellow saber.

So the blue saber continues to be the one that Kyle uses today, newly reclaimed in his mission in JK2, motivated by his desire to seek revenge against Desann and Tavion. But the way I play its still his orange one.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-17-2003, 08:20 PM   #26
Spazz
Rookie

i gotta go with blue on this one...it just looks better than green.

Say hello to my little friend!
Spazz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2010, 07:46 AM   #27
Bladestorm
Lurker

Current Game: The Force Unleashed
Thumbs up

Kyle Katarn's Lightsabers:
Green saber: Kyle got this from Rahn, who gave it to Morgan Katarn to pass on to his son. Morgan hid the weapon in the droid Weegee, who also had the ability to decode Morgan's secret message.
Yellow/Orange saber: "He is a jedi. He deserves a battle." These were the last words of Yun. Since Boc had destroyed the green saber, Kyle was forced to use Yun's blade which is yellow. The blade was used til' after Mara brought Kyle back to the Light Side. I think the creators of MOTS did something wrong because the blade is orange and Mara's is purple which really is supposed to be blue. It was Anakin's lightsaber originally but it kept getting passed on. Kyle, who was afraid of turning to the Dark Side, gave up the yellow blade and became a smuggler.
Blue saber: This weapon was forged after Kyle decided to become a jedi once again. It served him for the rest of his life. (Not that he died anyway)

Overall, I think the blue blade is the best because it was truely his. He created it and that made it better. Just like Luke's green saber. Luke felt his saber was better for him than his father's.
Bladestorm is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2010, 06:13 AM   #28
Darth Stryke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladestorm View Post
Kyle Katarn's Lightsabers:
Green saber: Kyle got this from Rahn, who gave it to Morgan Katarn to pass on to his son. Morgan hid the weapon in the droid Weegee, who also had the ability to decode Morgan's secret message.
Yellow/Orange saber: "He is a jedi. He deserves a battle." These were the last words of Yun. Since Boc had destroyed the green saber, Kyle was forced to use Yun's blade which is yellow. The blade was used til' after Mara brought Kyle back to the Light Side. I think the creators of MOTS did something wrong because the blade is orange and Mara's is purple which really is supposed to be blue. It was Anakin's lightsaber originally but it kept getting passed on. Kyle, who was afraid of turning to the Dark Side, gave up the yellow blade and became a smuggler.
Blue saber: This weapon was forged after Kyle decided to become a jedi once again. It served him for the rest of his life. (Not that he died anyway)

Overall, I think the blue blade is the best because it was truely his. He created it and that made it better. Just like Luke's green saber. Luke felt his saber was better for him than his father's.
Mara's saber wasn't the wrong color. Mara was using her own lightsaber at that point, MOTS took place before Luke gave her Anakin's lightsaber. Mara has owned and used a few sabers in her day.

As for Kyle, I guess he had The green one then the yellow one which were given to him. After he became and Jedi and killed Jerec, he built a new saber to this effect, the orange one. After his skirt with the dark side in MOTS, he wanted to rededicate himself to the light side and built a new lightsaber which was blue. He then chose to give it to Luke as explained in JO for whatever reasons as he obviously found he wasn't quite ready still for the life of a Jedi.

"Never argue with a fool, for he could be doing the same."
Darth Stryke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2010, 11:00 PM   #29
-=*Raz0r*=-
Rookie

He was so bad-ass with his green saber, but his outfit in JK2 goes better with blue.
Plus the new graphics engine and all..
-=*Raz0r*=- is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #30
Gamma097
Rookie

I haven't played any of the older Jedi Knight games, just Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, so I voted blue.

Join Carbonite Modders | Carbonite Modders Site | ARC Trooper Mod Updates
If you would like to voice a character in the ARC Trooper Mod, please send me a private message, and I'll see what I can do.
If you have any Mandalorian songs like Vode An, Rage of the Shadow Warriors, or Gra'tua Cuun on your MP3 or computer, paste this to your signature.
Gamma097 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2010, 11:39 PM   #31
DeadYorick
The Keeper of Peace

Current Game: Pheonix Wright
Dayum this thread was started in 2003.

Ontopic I preferred when he used Yun's lightsaber.

"There's gotta be a better way to make a living"
-Kyle Katarn
DeadYorick is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #32
MountainDew_JKG
Rookie

Current Game: JO & JA
Green for sure, it fits with skin/clothes

JK Galaxies - Multiplayer Mod for JKA
Team Neon - JKA Team Since '06
Assembly - JK2 1.02 Clan
MountainDew_JKG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2010, 11:41 PM   #33
katanamaru

I'll say that I'm happy with the blue saber. Even if it is kind of complicated to trace his lightsaber's history.

So many different theories. :S
katanamaru is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #34
irish_texan
Rookie

Current Game: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Academy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damar Stiehl View Post
If you go by the "Knights of the Old Republic" interpretation, which is now semi-canonical:

Blue is the color of Jedi Guardians (sabre masters)
Yellow is the color of Jedi Sentinels (fighter/mages)
Green is the color of Jedi Consulars (Force masters)

And of course, Purple is the color of Jedi Pimps.

Seeing how Kyle was throwing all sorts of Force powers around, green is more fitting for him I think.
perfect summary, i agree completely. and yes, mace windu is a total pimp, hahaha.
irish_texan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > kyles lightsaber