lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: We need an analyzis on saber styles and types
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2003, 08:56 PM   #1
Qaz
Rookie

A long analyzis on saber styles and types (REPLY)!

REMEMBER, THIS IS ONLY with Saber offense and defense lvl 3 and jump lvl 3, NO THROW OR OTHER FORCE POWERS, pure duelist.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a jedi academy or dueling master, i am just an above average dueler who sometimes eighter sux or is really good. Do not try to argue any of these points if you disagree with them by going "I am god at JA" or "You have no right to talk like that, you are just an average player" *inser curse words at random*

Ok, here is my imput...

So far as i have played i found that:

Single (first game, second IS WAY different)

An average non-newb player can utilize heavy stance to get opponents easily. My last server i had my ass kicked everytime i used dual and staff with heavy stancers. Their heavy swings OUTRANGE any of my attacks and rolling stabs did quite nicely agaisnt kata's etc. Yellow and blue was and should be used only for lunge and dfa. (Using yellow or blue agaisnt staff or duals is a suicide which i will explain in second part of the post.) I never won a game at that point.

Analazis: The only consistent saber style Singler's should use is heavy. So far the following works very nicely:

Never let Dual\staff get close. They will turn you into Croutons in 5 seconds if you will. KEEP YOUR DISTANCE and utilize SIDE TO SIDE HEAVY SWINGS. This WILL outdamage and outrange D\S people.

To counter the special special moves of those things the following works nicely:

Lunge Jump with heavy stance if done at proper time, which most skillful players should be able to do, WILL pin down a butterflying\kata opponent if you will begin the actual pinning while they aren't spinning with the saber to damage. Most of the time I had did a butterfly or Spinning Kata they just finished me on the spot with that exellent attack.

Roll and stab. Roll around to the side of your opponents and stab them. Doesn't do damage but scares your opponents into doing a stupid mistake.

Light Lunge, instead of roll and stab and actually can do nice if you do this right at the end of enemy special move before they jump away but after they stop dealing damage, this is A VERY fast attack.

Skillful swing. Rare, suicidal, if works you are a sabering god or are very acrobatical.

Run and pray that they will not hit you. These moves are devastating, and if you feel that you cannot preform the upper dont even try. If you mess up with one of these chances are you get away with an enourmous glowing scar or die.

CONCLUSION: Primary: Use heavy swings and KEEP YOUR DISTANCE, I CANT STREACH THIS FAR ENOUGH! Secondary: Apply Light and Medium and Heavy special moves to counter special attacks of dual or staff. WARNING: Light and medium for consistent fighting won't work. Dont even bother unless they ask questions like, how do I do a kata?

SECOND GAME. Analyzis of Dual and Staff

At this point I got used to the game and stuff, etc. and went on a roll by winning 4 games in a row. Just, Like, That.

Staff.

Acrobatics is your life. Staff is PATHETIC to every stance and other sabers in the game when it commes to running around holding attack button. Exceptions are discussed below.

Acrobatics, what are they? These are what certain idiots call whoring special moves or newbie only stuff. STAFF RELIES ON WHORING SPECIAL MOVES or "NEWBIE ONLY STUFF". Do Butter flies, katas, twirls, and rolling stab all the time. Don't even think of fighting your opponent in button holding style, just retreat until force regenerates enough for a special move, preferably the "Move in any direciton + attack + jump". (As a very nice replyer pointed out, you can metamorph this into a roll stab for a surprise attack). While doing acrobatics calculation is A MUST. Unlike in single player, you do not have control of direction every second in the special move, but you have more then any other stance during their moves. UTILIZE THAT. ALWAYS try to get close to your enemy or force them to chase you, but the end result is this: Make sure they will get in the spinning across Y axis with staff at damage mode: scoring these hit does MASSIVE damage and you should do atleast 3 of these hits if you do it correctly.

THIS IS NOT WHORING SPECIAL MOVES. You cannot physicaly whore them due to the fact that all of them cost force or just never happen when you need them. THIS IS ACROBATICS, the point and the STYLE of the staff.

Now, the non acrobatic aspect of the staff involves its spins and ability to do medium damage at very fast pace.

GET CLOSE AND PERSONAL. Staff has EXELLENT parrying and KICKS light and yellow stance's arse if you get right next to hte opponent. If they do heavy swings they are messing something up because as i explained earlier heavy swings are at range. A single saber duelist WILL die if he gets a staffer or a dualer to close. Otherwise by the time their hit gets you, they are dead meat. Your only problem if you are close and personal is the Light Lunge, but most people just panick and can't lock on you and repeatedly smash their buttons which leads to their demise.

Preferable motion is going around them using foward+strafe keys while holding down attack motion, or even better strafing past them with spins, thus doing guranteed damage if they are to slow to move out of the way.

JUST ONE WARNING. Dual sabers (ill explain later) are superior in this aspect of fighting. Doing this agaisnt them will kill you. Sorry.
Also the fact that this is predicatable will let opponents a way to counter this easily with a heavy swing at your head while you spin, since they can avoid the blows if they know where they are coming from.

Kicks and deathblows, dont bother. Wait until the patch fixes 'em cause they never work agaisnt a non-newbie, unless there is lag.

CONCLUSION: Primiry Tactic: ACROBATICS Secondary: Close and personal spin-dicing. Everything else is at your preference. WARNING: Try to use a combo of staying far and using acrobatics to get close, or you will die against heavy. NO you won't live otherwise.

Dual Sabers.

Ahh, my favorite for duels.

Now if Single saber relies on distance, staff on mix, then this relies ON CLOSE AND PERSONAL. Acrobatics are just for escaping or getting into position for a twirl or something like that.

Analizing Time :

What is the main streangth of Dual Sabers? MASSIVE amount of attacks with low damage. Your strategy here is to inflict maximum # blows while not get hit. Don't worry that it takes to many blows to kill someone, if it took 3 - 4 blows then duals would be overpowered.

Now, for the Sweet Spot of this style: TOTAL RANDOMNESS. If you twich all the time when swinging like mad your attacks will change DRASTICALLY! Its almost impossible to predict where these attacks come from unless you are some sort of a superhuman. These attacks will surprise even YOU, the USER! And that makes them leathal. Quite a bit of your low damage will ALWAYS get through, adding up to the lethality of the staff or the range and pure power of Single. You want to get very close VERY fast and the jump + foward+ attack move is just MADE for that. Its fast, non-threatening (people don't dodge this to often because of its low chance to hit) and easily timed. Once you are close and personal GO DIAGNALY in circles around enemy while twiching thus your attacks will come from every direciton non-stop. They swing, they are Croutons once again. If staff user tries to do the Crouton technique on you you will own him way sooner before he does any fatal damage. Don't forget that when you swing like this your opponent's attack rarely appear due to the fact that he cannot swing since his saber is blocking all the time. Also the Saber Twirl move (crouch+ foward+ attack) has a very nice arc , over 180 degrees, and is unblockable with massive damage. Also, the fact that if you miss with your rolling stab you get a second chance to stab them with the saber that goes out of your arse (lol). If hte opponent thinks he tricked you and is behind you when you roll, dont steer off! Keep doing this and he will impale himself!

For the Saber Spin Shield i also find it useless, people just roll stab me the second this is over.

CONCLUSION: Primary Tactic: Get close VERY fast and begin the Crouton Technique. Devastating! Secondary Tactic: Use acrobatics with twirl and uniqe rolling stabs to get your opponent. Also can work nicely. WARNING: staying at range with dual sabers is a suiciade. Using Saber Shield is a very risky chances, doesn't pay off agaisnt smart opponents who will stay out of its range only to stab your arse.

FINAL CONCLUSION:

Single Saber is now gets the following score:
(3 base)

RANGE: 3
VERSATILITY: 2
POWER: 2.5
SURPRISE ELEMENT\STRATEGY: 2 (.5 for beeing old school favorite)

Staff:

RANGE: 2 (extra point for acrobatics)
VERSATILITY: 3 (sorry single, you aren't place there)
POWER: 3
SURPRISE ELEMENT\STRATEGY: 2 (again, extra point for acrobatics)

Dual:

RANGE: 1
VERSATILITY: 1.5 ( .5 for extra nice rolling stabb and twirl\acro. combo)
POWER: 1.5 (Lowest power of all)
SURPRISE ELEMENT\STRATEGY: 3 (Not as much strategy as SE, this thing is VERY RAPID AND RANDOM)

Any best? In my opinion, NO, all sabers are balanced right now, don't mind the scores sum because they are flawed due to the fact that some elements complement others REAL nice. Each one using a variety of strategys (and not accounted here, PLAYER CREATIVITY) to win, it all depends on skill now. There are no truly newbie friendly or hard to learn stances\types, because a good player can kick a so called "skill raised because of staff newbie" arse using one of those strategies.

THIS ISN'T THEORY, ALL TESTED ON PRACTICE AND WORKS FOR ME!

Other notes: If you don't really play duels, don't go here, i know perfectly well that some of these types were made for "crowd control", but that doesn't go in advantage's disadvantages for these sabers, this is NOT POWER DUEL, ITS one ON one!!!

There you have it! Not complete, I know, but this sums up the current no force but jump sabering quite nicely IMHO.

Critticism welcome, no flaming plz, don't mind the spelling, i am russian so english ain't my best!

Last edited by Qaz; 10-10-2003 at 12:05 AM.
Qaz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Help Center > Strategy Shack > We need an analyzis on saber styles and types