lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Official Jedi Academy Bonus Map-Pack released!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-14-2003, 02:53 AM   #41
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Quote:
I don't think we'll get a patch. Raven has not been responsive. Look at how long it took to get a patch. The LA keeping it down doesn't make a lot of sense to me to be honest, and I found in my own dealings with Raven, trying to get some sort of a response from them, that they are not concerned. Anway, anyone else with the ffa maps were just a little smaller? It takes forever to get to the action now.......
Note: I'm not a lawyer or a proffessional game developer. I don't really consider myself an "industry insider" either, I'm just a game fan/hobbyist who occasionally talks to people in the industry. So if I'm off base, feel free to correct me, but this is just my experience here.

In all my dealings with Raven (and to be honest, this is basically summed up as talking to Mike Gummelt over email, since I can count the times I've talked to other Raven team members on one hand) I've had the idea continually reinforced that it's LA that calls the shots.

Why?

Because LucasArts is the gaming wing of LucasFilm. LucasFilm is George Lucas's company that executes his will over the control of his hottest property.. the Star Wars franchise.

With this in mind, it's not suprising that LucasArts deals with liscensing the property to gaming companies that want to make SW games, like Raven Software.

Raven is a smaller company, with less money and resources, but they obviously have skills impressive enough to be allowed to make a game like Jedi Academy.

That also means that whenever they do something "officially" (like release a patch) they can't just release it on a whim, like they theoretically can with their own games (like Soldier of Fortune II).

They have to go through LA to do that stuff, and obviously LA takes their sweet time and makes the decisions perhaps without a full appreciation for what the developers in the trenches have to do. Their only concern is keeping the franchise protected and executed (as they deem it) properly to maximize profits.

In fact Raven deals with multiple liscenses all the time. They already use liscensed engines exclusively (or nearly), and they deal with liscensed properties like Quake and Star Wars.

That they thus don't have full creative control and don't have full PR control is not surprising.

They virtually can't make a move it seems without consulting LA, which is not always as forthcoming as we'd all like them to be.

LA has softened a bit over the years, extending more to fans and being less heavy handed in their dealings with us, but obviously there's still a lot of red tape and such that people like Raven simply have to deal with.

If this was not a SW game, supporting it would be far easier.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-14-2003, 04:25 AM   #42
SpaceButler13
Rookie

Or maybe they're just too busy working on Quake IV.... I also am not one of those people wanting gameplay adjustments. I just wanted a server browser that worked and I still have a sour taste in my mouth from the reply I got to perfectly polite, though not exactly positive, emails.

Kyle Katarn = thin George Lucas
Ahhh, company politics....
SpaceButler13 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-14-2003, 08:44 AM   #43
Kurgan
Headhunter

But, that same logic would also state that Soldier of Fortune II should have been crappy since they were "too busy working on Quake IV" right?

It's just that to work with the SW liscense necessarily forces them to walk on eggshells around LA and do what they (LA) want, when they want.

Btw, love your sig. ; )

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Old 12-14-2003, 09:03 PM   #44
SpaceButler13
Rookie

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me that they'd be putting much more time into Quake IV more recently than most of the SoF stuff, and that stuff they might still be doing for that would be part of an ongoing thing that happened before a shift of emphasis. I at least don't put any faith in Raven after this.

That was the first thing I thought when I saw the new (jk2) katarn model. It's him down to the hair, minus the chins.

Kyle Katarn = thin George Lucas
Ahhh, company politics....
SpaceButler13 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2003, 07:01 AM   #45
Kurgan
Headhunter

Well the thing is they started work on JA almost immediately after they were done with JK2 (by that I assume all the patching and such).

In the meantime they've done two games simultaneously.. Soldier of Fortune II (which was on the Q3 engine, remember SOF was on Quake 2) and Jedi Academy.

On top of that they have Quake IV in the works.

I'm just saying that if Quake IV kept them from doing JA right, it should also have kept them from doing SOF 2 right.

They aren't idiots, they have the faith of LucasArts in them as a contracted company riding on each game they do for them. Do you think they'd deliberately screw it up?

PS: The Concussion Rifle on "Conquest of Byss" is easily found. Find the series of elevators that goes up and up (not the ones with the force field switch/disruptor.. but the other one, that is just past the cubbyholes with the Ammo Recharge Station and Flechette pickups). Continue following the lifts up until you get a large rectangular lift (the others you've seen are square lift platforms). Take that one up and you'll eventually come to a big semi-enclosed room that has the Concussion Rifle! You can hop up on the railing to snipe down a people.

That map really has a ton of ammo. Nothing like shooting an entire clip worth of Merr Sonn missiles at your foes, then, just when they think it's safe and you're all out of rockets (as the Clone pilot would say), you whip out the concussion rifle and drown them bluish-purple death. ; )

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Academy > Official Jedi Academy Bonus Map-Pack released!