lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: *Our* Top 10 Games of 2003!
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-23-2003, 12:09 PM   #1
txa1265
Father Jedi
 
txa1265's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Marlborough, MA, USA
Posts: 3,199
Forum Veteran 
*Our* Top 10 Games of 2003!

OK, so every magazine and web site is having a go at this, but many seem to be populated with games they over-hyped and over-reviewed, and all the other typical politics.

So let's do ours!

Some 'challenges' (I won't say rules, but let's challenge ourselves to stick by some guidelines):

- Only 10 games, no 'ties' or 'honorable mentions' or other stuff.
- Put them in order (e.g. #1 is your #1, etc.)
- Must be a 2003 release in your local environment, on your platform (e.g. if JKII came out in 2003 in your country, it is OK)
- Specify game, platform, and a bit about *why* it is where it is.
- Special Award - define a category and give the award. Good for rewarding mediocre games that struck something with you.

Mike


Dopelar effect (n.) The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
txa1265 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2003, 12:45 PM   #2
txa1265
Father Jedi
 
txa1265's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Marlborough, MA, USA
Posts: 3,199
Forum Veteran 
10 - <empty>
9 - <empty>
8 - <empty>
7 - Star Trek Elite Force 2 (PC) - how is it that a game that I called 'fun but mediocre' ends up on my top 10 list, and ends it? Because what was left after the poor AI and mediocre levels and story was a game just dripping with Trekkie delights ... and that left a good impression.
6 - Baldurs Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal (Mac) - finally on the Mac - hey, it's new to me
5 - NWN: Hordes of the Underdark (Mac) - I'm not dine yet, but already like it more than any of the shooters I played this year (I don't call JA a shooter).
4 - NWN: Shadows of Undrentide (Mac) - great story, fun characters, and a good 20 hour adventure.
3 - Jedi Academy (PC & Mac) - what can I say ... I love Jedi Academy. It actually rates above NWN on my 'all-time', but NWN was a changing experience.
2 - Neverwinter Nights (Mac) - My first 'real' RPG. I put 80 hours into my Paladin, and changed my taste in games forever.
1 - KotOR (PC) - This is now my favorite game of all time. Combining nearly everything I like in a game ... of well, people are gushing everywhere. The thing about a successful RPG, though, is that no matter who else goes through it, you are left feeling like it is *your* game.

No WWII shooters, no Halo-ish games, nothing else. Pretty good year, looking back - many disappointments, but many surprises. 2003 is the year I turned on to RPG's. After 20 years since my FPS addiction began with Castle Wolfenstein on an Apple ][+ in High School ...

[edit - I forgot my 'special award']

Special Award: 1st Annual Dirty Toilet Award Postal 2 (PC) - the game that awards finishing by unlocking the ability to urinate napalm. To use a cat as a silencer by ramming your gun up its' ... Krusty the Clown, getting flipped off, broadband intolerance ... what else could you ask for in a game. That it be fun? Naw, too much to ask.

Mike


Dopelar effect (n.) The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Last edited by txa1265; 12-23-2003 at 01:16 PM.
txa1265 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2003, 01:00 PM   #3
The_One
The Dude Abides
 
The_One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Kent, England
Posts: 1,543
10. <Empty>
9. <Empty>
8. <Empty>
7. Jedi Academy - what JK2 should have been. Good game, nothing spectacular. Oh how I long for the days of JK and MOTS...
6. Freelancer - very addictive little game, one of the best stories in a game ever. But once you have completed the story side of the game there is little left to do.
5. Republic: The Revolution - very innovative, you can have hours of fun with this - finally a decent game that requires political expertise for success.
4. GTA: Vice City - GTA 3 on crack, hugely enjoyable - very funny, quality gameplay, the list goes on...
3. Max Payne 2 - Quality game, short, but it doesn't matter - the game makes up for it in other areas, you really can't fault it.
2. Call of Duty - when it comes to atmosphere, CoD wins hands down - no other game has ever made me feel like I was actually in WW2, and Stalingrad....wohaa!
1. KOTOR - hours of varied gameplay, tons of stuff to do, great storyline, immense fun, great graphics - easily the best Star Wars game ever made, if not one of the greatest games ever made.



Dark Forces: A Mod for Jedi Academy
Webmaster

Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?
The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
The_One is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2003, 01:10 PM   #4
HertogJan
Beer is good for you!
 
HertogJan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,583
Can't we just make a top 5??? Oh well I'll try:

1 - Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
2 - Splinter Cell
3 - GTA Vice City
4 - Max Payne 2: Fall of Max Payne
5 - Command & Conquer: Generals
6 - Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
7 - Freelancer


I dunno any more right now


HertogJan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2003, 01:33 PM   #5
Sivy
coming soon
 
Sivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 7,314
Forum Veteran 
all PC

1 - KOTOR
2 - JA
3 - indiana jones and the emperor's tomb
4 - Need for speed: underground.
5 - Mafia (was that this year or last.. can't remember - great game though)
6 - enter the matrix (ok, so it wasn't a great game, but it was fun)

i'll have a think about the others.
Sivy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2003, 02:54 PM   #6
Anthony
Thats it.
 
Anthony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 1,734
Current Game: Life
Forum Veteran 
1) Neverwinter Nights
2) NWN: Shadows of the Undrentide
3) NWN: Hordes of the Underdark
4) Jk2 (I don't have JA yet, phooey)
5) Simcity 4
6)Simcity 4: Rush hour
7)The Sims and all its expansions
8) Animals Crossing (shut up.)
9) -empty-
10) -empty-
Anthony is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2003, 03:45 PM   #7
ExcelsioN
Veteran
 
ExcelsioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 898
Ok, here's my favs :

10- <Couldn't think of one>
9- NWN: Shadows of Undrentide (PC)
Although a rather short expansion, and not too much to add, its still enjoyable and a fun RPG experience.
8- C&C: Generals (PC)
Perhaps I should say a more 'realistic' approach to C&C. No mad russians in time machines, thank God. And with stunning graphics.
7- Halo (PC)
A great shooter in its own right with a fun multiplayer section.
6- SW: JK Jedi Academy (PC)
Although not much different from JK2, its still an improvement and just as user-friendly with a whole lot more stuff to do.
5- Rise of Nations (PC)
The biggest, cleverest, and most addictive RTS I've ever played.
4- NWN:Hordes of the Underdark(PC)
A great expansion to an already great game.
3- BF1942: Secret Weapons of WW2(PC)
Made the original BF experience a hell of a lot funner(sp?), and added missiles that you can guide in 1st person view. Wohoo!
2- Call of Duty (PC)
Possibly one of the most intense, exciting, and atmospheric WW2 shooters ever. Not to mention great use of sound.
1- SW:KOTOR (PC)
The best Star Wars RPG ever. And its made by BioWare.

Notice how none of them are either sports or console games.
Death to sports and consoles!

And a special award?
How about...
Worst Voice-Acting in a game ever: SW:JK Jedi Academy
The voice-acting in that game is proper lame.


ExcelsioN is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2003, 03:47 PM   #8
Lynk Former
internet hate machine
 
Lynk Former's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,980
10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
1. Metroid Prime - I'm VERY picky about my games, most games I sit there for an hour and if something hasn't clicked then either I don't play it until the next time I'm bored or someone comes over and says "hey let's play this"... Metroid Prime on the other hand I've finished a million times and I keep playing it over and over... *shrugs* well when you have a 48" TV with Dolby Pro Logic II Surround Sound a comfy couch and the high resolution cable for your GCN this is the game you really want to be playing...
2. Metroid Prime
3. Metroid Prime
4. Metroid Prime
5. Metroid Prime
6. Metroid Prime
7. Metroid Prime
8. Metroid Prime
9. Metroid Prime
10. Metroid Prime

... only problem is Metroid Prime wasn't released this year...

Lynk Former is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2003, 03:57 PM   #9
Reclaimer
Loves Keira Knightley.
 
Reclaimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: ...
Posts: 1,661
Um he asked for this year Lynk

Now my top 7.

7: The Matrix. Fun but not fun.

6:Jedi Acadamy: Just wasn't as fun as I thought.

5: Max Payne 2: Amazing Game. But I didn't like the ending.

4:Ghost Recon for Gamecube: Good game but it freezes up if you play it for longs periods of time.

3:Rainbow Six 3: Amazing game and graphics.

2: Conflict Desert Storm 2 Bak to Baghdad: It's all in the name.

1: Halo PC: The best game of the year in my oppion. Flamethrower, Fuel Rod Cannon, Rocket Hog. Sweetness.


philla は陰茎のハハのwat の名前をであるそのlmfao のゲイの名前吸う
Reclaimer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2003, 04:31 PM   #10
Jared
Monochrome Man
 
Jared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Costa Mesa...California.
Posts: 2,735
Forum Veteran 
1 - Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic- (xbox)
played through 4 and1/2 times before it got slightly...boring..^^

2 - Morrowind-(xbox and pc)
I am still playing morrowind, it never really ends and my ice armor is shiny...^^

3 - Halo -(xbox)
hours and hours of mindless killing, oh, what fun.....

4 - Metroid prime(GC)
That game is, by far, one of the most interesting games I have ever seen....but it got kinda old near the end.

5 - Enter Matrix-(GC)
Nice gameplay, awsome fighting......decent looking skins; the levels were kinda dull but that game ruled for the first 10 times around....^^

6 - Rogue Leader (GC)
need I say more?

7 - GTA- vice city (PS2)
one of the sweetest games made yet, but still refused to hold my interest because I memorized all the radio stations.

oops.
what, they were funny....

8 - Star Wars Bounty Hunter- (GC)
cool. shiny. I fly.

9 -The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time / Master Quest(GC)
this, I guess, Is a version of a n64 game upgraded with GC graphics...I got it free cause....I just did. So I played it.
it wasted many days of my life..

10 - Jedi Academy-(pc)
stupid stupid game, annoyed the hell out of me and looked like nothing more than a mod for jedi outcast, and the voice actors .....ummm....suck. Badly. And the game kept crashing, and we have a pretty decent computer, and I got sick of the damn demo. All it is is JO..... nothing to see here....nothing to see here....


and I know you said games of the year, well I played all of these for the first time this year.....so they are my top 10 of the year...^^


"Honesty may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy." -- George Carlin
Jared is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2003, 04:39 PM   #11
DarkLord60
Something In the Way
 
DarkLord60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: MI
Posts: 2,436
1. KOTOR
2. Morrowind
3. Halo
4. Rebel Strike
5. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time / Master Quest
6. Splinter Cell
7. Jedi Academy
8. Rainbow Six 3
9. Call of Duty
10. Enter The Matrix


_____________________________________________
]

DarkLord60 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2003, 01:18 AM   #12
Agen
The Spoon Guy
 
Agen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: A house
Posts: 5,216
10.Unreal Tournament 2003 - not as good as the original.. a downgrade...
9.Worms 3d - it's nowhere near as good as Worms Amgd but enjoyable
8.Splinter Cell - pretty damn good
7.Morrowind - HUUUUUUUUUUGE.. but good
6.Championship Manager 4 - well loads of bugs buto nce you get into it it kicks ass
5.Mafia - slick
4.Max Payne 2 - Excellent game
3.Call of Duty - Omaha beach level disguised 10x over.. but short
JOINT FIRST Championship Manager 03/04 and Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy - I just can't decide which i like better, JA provided me and still is with loads of online mp fun(clans, duels etc.) and an enjoyable, full of fun single player experience and CM 0304 is the dam ned most addictive game joint first to only 01/02.


All really great games imo (well maybe no the last 2, but they're good)
Agen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2003, 01:31 AM   #13
IG-64
Moderator
 
IG-64's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Houston, Tx.
Posts: 5,958
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
1. JA
2. Madden 2004
3. RotK for Gamecube
4. C&C Generals

and thats about it
IG-64 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2003, 02:36 AM   #14
Alegis
In hiding
 
Alegis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Belgium
Posts: 3,880
LFN Staff Member 
1. JA : When gaming, i mostly play 2 games, ALWAYS JA, and another game once in a while which switches with others, not because i grow tired of em but because I try out new things but stick to JO/JA
2. Vice City : Gotta love this game, mighty fun
3. Call of Duty : played the SP recently, i didn't expect a quarter as much what i got (from the demo i wasnt really so enthousiastic, the game is AWESOME..havent tried MP yet)
4. Enemy Territory : Great free game
5. Savage : truelly original
6-10 <empty>

Most original: Savage (the commander and fps thingy-> awesome)


-"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."
Alegis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2003, 03:01 AM   #15
legameboy
Pirate Flavored
 
legameboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 2,488
I'll post the top ten seven games I ( can remember that I) got this year.

1. Mafia - Plain awesome... great gameplay, music, story, everything was great, and the ending made me cry!

2. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - Funny, fun, and funky.

4. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Great RPG.

3. Deus Ex II: Invisible War - Great, just great.

5. Max Payne II: The Fall of Max Payne - Real and gritty excellence.

6. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - A bit too expensive, but high quality.

7. Dragged out; but open-ended, huge, and of course, fun.

8. No mention.

9. No mention.

10. No mention.

Special Award: Most "touching" video game story - Mafia. It held me in for a long ride... only to give me tears when it ended.
legameboy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2003, 03:57 AM   #16
Reborn Outcast
Easy Company
 
Reborn Outcast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,873
I actually havn't bought any games this year. But I've saved over $200 in Best Buy gift certificates and I know I'm getting more for Christmas so by looking at your lists I'm gonna have to say I'm gonna get...

KOTOR
JA
CoD
BF 1942 (and all x-pacs)
Reborn Outcast is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-25-2003, 11:31 AM   #17
BongoBob
Good Eye, Sniper
 
BongoBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The Camper Velourium
Posts: 6,391
Current Game: BC2, FFXIII
The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Well, since most of the games I bought this year came out a while ago, heres my list of fav games I bought this year:

1)Tony Hawks Underground(GC)
Just simply the best one ever. But not length-wise. I like how you can finally get off of your board and walk around. And all of the new moves. But the thing that got my rocks off the most, was the fact that School II(The best level from ANY THPS game EVA!) was included as a secret level. I have lost count of the countless hours of time I have lost playing THPS2 on School II. Now I can waste my time with new features

2)TIE-JA(PC) & DFII:JK(PC)
I like them both. I can't choose. They are both fun in their own respects, and anyone that doesn't like DFII:JK needs to be shot. Repeatedly. In the crotch.

3)The SimsE(PC)
I play this game on and off. It will rule my life for around 2-6 weeks, then I'll stop for about 2-3 weeks. Then repeat. I don't buy expansions, I download them (AKA I download stuff from websites like Mall of the Sims, not wares)

4)Legacy of Goku 2(GBA)
This game was really fun, one of the best RPGs on GBA I have ever played, except it was short. But still very, very fun.

That's all I got for now.
NOW DROP THE CHALUPA, AND PICK UP AN ENCHIRITO!


BongoBob is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-25-2003, 12:26 PM   #18
DarkLord60
Something In the Way
 
DarkLord60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: MI
Posts: 2,436
Quote:
Originally posted by BongoBob
Well, since most of the games I bought this year came out a while ago, heres my list of fav games I bought this year:

2)TIE-JA(PC) & DFII:JK(PC)
I like them both. I can't choose. They are both fun in their own respects, and anyone that doesn't like DFII:JK needs to be shot. Repeatedly. In the crotch.

That's all I got for now.
NOW DROP THE CHALUPA, AND PICK UP AN ENCHIRITO!
Wow thats harsh but I agree they are both in my top 20 list but aren't those games a little to old to be top 10 of 2003?


_____________________________________________
]

DarkLord60 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2003, 11:52 AM   #19
StormHammer
Fallen Jedi
 
StormHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Outer spiral arm of the galaxy
Posts: 5,437
10 year veteran! 
I didn't get as many games this year as I expected, for two reasons:

1. I played more demos, and decided not to get some titles based on what I played, and lots of feedback from others.

2. Several titles were unfortunately pushed into next year.

So I don't think it was a brilliant year for PC games. Some games, like Max Payne 2 and Call Of Duty, won't make my list, because I'm waiting for them to reduce in price. I'm no longer willing to pay full price for games that deliver under 10 hours of gameplay.

So with that said, this is my top 10...

1. KOTOR. Okay, I haven't finished it yet, but it's so well-crafted, polished and enjoyable that I have to place it in the number 1 slot.

2. Jedi Academy. It was tougher finding my number 2. I wouldn't have rated JA this highly if other games had been as polished as I expected. As it is, I enjoyed JA enough to play it through twice this year, and I spent a great deal of time playing it online.

3. RTCW: Enemy Territory. I'm not sure when this was actually released, but I didn't get it until late this year. A free standalone MP game, it is probably the best online game I have ever played. It was so good, that I spent a considerable number of hours just watching other people play.

4. Tron 2. If you liked the Tron movie, then you can't go far wrong with this treatment of the material.

5. Arx Fatalis. One of the best first person RPG's I've played in recent years.

6. Dungeon Siege: Legends Of Aranna. Yes, the expansion pack to the monster-bashing slaughter-fest that is DS. Like the original game, it just sucked me in again, and I played for 5 hours straight. Any game that causes me to lose sense of time has to rank pretty high on my list of games.

7. XIII. A decent cel-shaded shooter with some nice twists and turns.

8. Star Trek: Elite Force II. Another linear game, with too many similar enemies, but even so it was a very enjoyable game.

9. Gothic 2. Another well-crafted RPG experience.

10. Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter. Although it could have been better, and is largely a straightforward shooter, I like the mix of space combat and FPS. At times, it shows what might be possible in a Star Wars game, and had a great SF feel. So I had to include this in my top 10.

One of the major disappointments of the year for me is Deus Ex: Invisible War. I imported the game, played it, and although it shines in parts, overall it is an even more disappointing sequel than Unreal II. The levels are too small, the side quests boring, and although you have a decent number of choices in who you work for, and how to tackle obstacles, there are no real consequences to your actions. I felt disconnected from the plot, and it was a relief to simply finish the game. I remember moaning about the faults of Soldier Of Fortune II which hindered my enjoyment of that game, but by comparison that was a far better sequel, because it retained the essential formula and delivered more of it. DX:IW took the formula of DX1 and raped it of all that was good...

I look forward to 2004...
StormHammer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2003, 12:06 PM   #20
Miko Reglia
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: California
Posts: 768
10. Star Trek: Elite Force 2 (PC)
9. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2)
8. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (PC)
7. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (PS2)
6. Enter the Matrix (PS2)
5. Call of Duty (PC)
4. Battlefield 1942 (PC)
3. Neverwinter Nights (PC)
2. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (PC)
1. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (PC)



Jedi Knight of "The Jedi Order"
Miko Reglia is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2003, 12:22 PM   #21
Mex
Not the brightest cookie.
 
Mex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: United Kingdom, Abingdon
Posts: 4,550
1) Medal Of Honor : Spearhead
I chose Medal of Honor because I play it with my Father on LAN everytime I go round his and we have a great time doing it. We always get the same amount of kills.

2) Call Of Duty
This gets number two because I havent had a chance to get used to it yet. It's a great game, better than MOH but I just need to play it a bit more.

3) Morrowind
This game gets number three because of it's sheer size and brilliance, it may not look the greatest but looks don't matter in an RGP this good.

4) Star Wars : Knight of the Old Republic
It did'nt impress me as much as I thought it would, you are restricted to follow the storyline which gets a bit dull when you've played it 3+ times. The next one should be more like Morrowind.

5) Return to Castle Wolfenstein
As you've most probably noticed by now, I love fps's and this is no exeption, this was one of the first fps's I ever played and it blew me away. I played this on the internet for weeks and weeks until I got bored with it.

6) XIII
A great cel-shaded shooter which blew me away with it unique storyline and it's great looks. I hope to spend many, many hours playing this in the future with friends and family. A top game.

7) Tony Hawks : Underground
The greatest Tony Hawks game ever. It may not last you a long time but with new features like walking and spine transfers it kept me busy for a few weeks. I've completed it on all difficulties without cheats and I have to say this is an awesome game.

8) Grand Theft Auto : Vice City
Ahh, I play this tons just wandering around exploring the area's and finding out all of the little secrets in the game. The range of cars have been improved greatly. This deserves to be number 8.

9) Max Payne : The fall of Max Payne
This rekindled my love of Max Payne with it's new bullet time action and the return of Max Payne, the story is a bit confusing at first when you wake up in a hospital injured but you soon get to grips with the story. I still havent finished it yet but I will soon.

10) Command and Conquer : Generals
I played this game on LAN many many times playing it over and over to see who would win, it's a great game to play on LAN with your friends to see who can bomb the hell out of each other first. Great game.

The biggest flop of the year : Star Wars Jedi Knight : Jedi Academy
This game spoiled my day when I first tried Single Player, the voice acting was absolotely terrible, the only good people were Kyle and Luke. The only good thing about this game is Multiplayer and even then it's hard to find a server when you don't get abused by 10 year old punk admins. The honor code crap kinda gets annoying when you're trying to take a break from the code because even if you do find a server when the honor code does not exist they still say lamer. Ugh. Terrible game.
Mex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2004, 05:24 PM   #22
txa1265
Father Jedi
 
txa1265's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Marlborough, MA, USA
Posts: 3,199
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally posted by StormHammer
One of the major disappointments of the year for me is Deus Ex: Invisible War. I imported the game, played it, and although it shines in parts, overall it is an even more disappointing sequel than Unreal II. The levels are too small, the side quests boring, and although you have a decent number of choices in who you work for, and how to tackle obstacles, there are no real consequences to your actions. I felt disconnected from the plot, and it was a relief to simply finish the game. I remember moaning about the faults of Soldier Of Fortune II which hindered my enjoyment of that game, but by comparison that was a far better sequel, because it retained the essential formula and delivered more of it. DX:IW took the formula of DX1 and raped it of all that was good...

I look forward to 2004...
You voice my disappointment in DX:IW very well. Disconnected from a game with RPG elements ... talk about failure at its' most basic.

Now that I have XIII, and have played it a bit (not too much, as I'm still doing KotOR and NWN:HotU), I have this to say:
+ Graphics, feel and gameplay at least as good as the demo.
+ Nice storybook integration.
+ Performs well with defaults
- Pain to install (4 CD's, two failures for me)
- Checkpoint save system - I assumed autosaves at checkpoints ... oh well. I also miss quicksaves, but it is not too bad.

Mike


Dopelar effect (n.) The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
txa1265 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2004, 10:39 AM   #23
txa1265
Father Jedi
 
txa1265's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Marlborough, MA, USA
Posts: 3,199
Forum Veteran 
KotOR continues to amaze me.

I'm on my 3rd trip through, and what amazes me is the depth and breadth of not just the main plot, but of the party dialogue and interactions, of the side-quests, and of how everything works tailored to light or dark side.

I can hardly believe that this game is engaging enough to induce me to explore the dark path with my poor evil Trislyn Jast ...

Mike


Dopelar effect (n.) The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
txa1265 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2004, 05:24 PM   #24
jokemaster
The master of jokes
 
jokemaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,748
Roleplayer 
10. Empty
9. C&C Generals (PC)
8. MAFIA (PC)
7. Prince of Persia (PS2)
6. Prince of Persia (GC)
5. Freelancer(PC)
4. Jak II (PS2)
3. Max Payne 2 (pc
2. Splinter Cel (pc
1.Call of Duty (pc)

Dissapointment of 2003: DX2: IW


Vader's wife was very pregnant when she died 19 years ago. All of a sudden a 19 year old who is very strong in the force and has a distinct resembalance to him in his younger days rolls in from Vader's home planet with his old Master Obi-Wan (Who was the ONLY other person preset at the time his wife died. And to boot, the kid's last name is Skywalker.

So in answer to your question, he knew Luke was his son because his name is Darth Vader, and not Darth Retard.


-Forum post on why Vader knew Luke was his son.
jokemaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2004, 07:41 PM   #25
DarkLord60
Something In the Way
 
DarkLord60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: MI
Posts: 2,436
Quote:
Originally posted by jokemaster

7. Prince of Persia (PS2)
6. Prince of Persia (GC)
Aren't those the same?

Quote:
Originally posted by jokemaster
Dissapointment of 2003: DX2: IW
I agree it was terrible the gameplay sucked and it didn't have the same feel as number 1


_____________________________________________
]

DarkLord60 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2004, 04:28 AM   #26
jokemaster
The master of jokes
 
jokemaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,748
Roleplayer 
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkLord60
Aren't those the same?

Sorry, typo. The first one was XIII


Vader's wife was very pregnant when she died 19 years ago. All of a sudden a 19 year old who is very strong in the force and has a distinct resembalance to him in his younger days rolls in from Vader's home planet with his old Master Obi-Wan (Who was the ONLY other person preset at the time his wife died. And to boot, the kid's last name is Skywalker.

So in answer to your question, he knew Luke was his son because his name is Darth Vader, and not Darth Retard.


-Forum post on why Vader knew Luke was his son.
jokemaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2004, 06:35 AM   #27
Neverhoodian
If I may make a point...
 
Neverhoodian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Sohma house
Posts: 1,293
Here's some of my favorite games that came out in 2003.

10. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike (GameCube)- I put this in #10 because I was somewhat disappointed when I rented it. Though the flight portions are fun while they last, they are all too urgent and linear, unlike Rogue Squadron's glory days on the N64 when one could loiter around blasting an Imperial base for as long as one pleased. The on-foot portions, for a Jedi Knight gaming veteran, were woefully shallow and Rambo-esque.

9. Soul Calibur II (GameCube)- I've only played about half an hour's worth of the game when my friend brought it over a few days ago, but the little I played was fantastic! The controls are deceptively simple and hide a very deep gameplay factor. Each character is wholly unique with their own weapons and fighting styles. Fighting as Link was a truly enjoyable experience and gave the game an ultimately cool cross-over feel. Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who has never been a fan of fighting games.

8. Wario Ware: Mega Microgames! (Game Boy Advance)- Like Viewtiful Joe, Wario Ware is one of those games that reminds you just how fun video games can be. With over 200 literally five-second long microgames, Wario Ware is an insanely fast and funny gaming experience. As the games come fast and furious with almost no break in-between, you can't help but start laughing out loud, not only because of the frenetic pace, but the sheer ludicrousness of some of the games, such as picking a nose, frying an egg or lighting up a city with an electric eel. The replay value is excellent, making Wario Ware a game you'll want to come back to for more.

7. Legend of Zelda: OOT and Master Quest (GameCube)- A pleasant suprise for anyone who pre-ordered the Wind Waker, OOT still proves that it still has a right to be called one of the greatest games ever made, even over five years later. The story is still as timeless and grand as it was back in 1998 and it invoked warm feelings of nostalgia playing it again, like having a reunion with an old friend. The Master Quest puts your gaming skill to the test: it's insanely hard dungeons will leave you scratching your head for days.

6. Star Wars: Jedi Academy (PC)- The ultimate Star Wars game for all us aspiring Jedi wanna-be's who have swung cardboard tubes around in imitation lightsaber battles. It takes elements that made JO great and builds upon them allowing for more saber types, Force powers (for SP) more enemies and more moves. MP was a bit disappointing, although Siege is a great game type. It is in SP that I was impressed. I had a blast playing through SP mode multiple times as it has a replay value that is far longer than JO.

5. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (PC)- Probably the best MP game I've played in a long time, ET is an outstanding WWII game. The entire game is objective-based missions that stress on teamwork. The character classes are much deeper than JA's character classes, allowing for RPG-esque leveling up and XP points, allowing the classes to learn new abilities as they progress. At the same time, more XP allows for a bit easier time, but is not so overpowered that new players get beaten every time. For a free game, Enemy Territory is a truly great game, one well worth downloading.

4. Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (GameCube)- Okay, I'll admit it; I'm a big history buff, especially concerning World War II. Having played games that have only shown the European part of the War, playing Rising Sun was a welcome change that showed the war on the other side of the globe. Unlike MOH: Frontline, (my previous experience with the MOH series) Rising Sun is verychallenging on Normal mode. I was suprised at the ferocity and excellent tactics of the Japanese AI, doing everything from hiding in trees to popping up from holes dug in the ground to brandishing bayonets and samurai swords in determined banzai charges against me. I wondered how EA Games was going to top the adrenaline rush of storming the beaches of Normandy on Frontline. They managed to outdo themselves with a frantic and intense recreation of the attack on Pearl Harbor. Authenticity was spot on, something the series has always been good at. Their MP was suprisingly good, allowing for bots that can be made to be very hard opponents indeed and Team matches as well as standard Free For All's. In all, a fantastic game for WWII buffs like me.

3. Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GameCube)- A truly worthy successor to the N64 Zelda games, the Wind Waker is a marvel to play. Contrary to what others may think of it, I have no problem at all with the cel-shaded look to the game. In fact, it adds more character to the game in that it allows for more visible emotions on people's faces than was possible before. The whole world seems alive and vibrant. Though I missed Epona, sailing on the open seas was a welcome change of pace. Though different than previous games, the Wind Waker still has features that all Zelda game has: challenging dungeons, memorable characters, wonderous devices and gargantuan bosses. The only downfall: after playing through the game, like all Zelda games, there's not really enough incentive to play through again.

2. Viewtiful Joe (GameCube)- "HENSHIN A GO GO, BABY!!!" If you've played Viewtiful Joe, you'll understand why I can't stop yelling that phrase. This is truly the reason why video games were made in the first place. It's so simple, yet so complex. It has a wacky sense of humor. The story is so cheesy that it's actually not bad. All sorts of puns and inside jokes are made about popular culture and video games, from Star Wars to the Mario Bros. The music is a nifty rock/techno combo that will have you humming. The game starts easy enough to catch on what to do, but it becomes difficult enough that you have to call upon the best of your gaming skills to succeed. But above all else, the coolness factor of this game is through the roof! There's special "VFX" powers that Joe uses that slows time down, speeds time up, and zooms in, allowing Joe to perform nifty acrobatic stunts and fighting moves. You can combine any of the aforementioned powers to allow for some truly eye-popping and insanely cool moves. It's hard to explain, but you just FEEL cool while dishing Matrix-esque combos out on enemies, the game is that awesome. Anyone who considers themselves true gamers (and even those who don't!) should at least rent the game, if not buy it. Trust me, you will like this game. If you don't, you must have lost your soul.

1. Mario Kart: Double Dash!!- The Mario Kart series just keeps getting better. having two characters per kart, character-specific items, customized karts, and an downright ruthless AI on 150cc and Mirror Mode make the game the most fun and challenging Mario Kart experience to date.


Dark Forces Total Conversion-http://darkforces.jediknight.net
Relive the classic that started it all!
Open Jedi Project-http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisp...s=&forumid=542
Working to expand the JA experience!
Neverhoodian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2004, 05:01 PM   #28
jokemaster
The master of jokes
 
jokemaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,748
Roleplayer 
Quote:
Originally posted by Neverhoodian
Here's some of my favorite games that came out in 2003.

10. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike (GameCube)- I put this in #10 because I was somewhat disappointed when I rented it. Though the flight portions are fun while they last, they are all too urgent and linear, unlike Rogue Squadron's glory days on the N64 when one could loiter around blasting an Imperial base for as long as one pleased. The on-foot portions, for a Jedi Knight gaming veteran, were woefully shallow and Rambo-esque.

9. Soul Calibur II (GameCube)- I've only played about half an hour's worth of the game when my friend brought it over a few days ago, but the little I played was fantastic! The controls are deceptively simple and hide a very deep gameplay factor. Each character is wholly unique with their own weapons and fighting styles. Fighting as Link was a truly enjoyable experience and gave the game an ultimately cool cross-over feel. Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who has never been a fan of fighting games.

8. Wario Ware: Mega Microgames! (Game Boy Advance)- Like Viewtiful Joe, Wario Ware is one of those games that reminds you just how fun video games can be. With over 200 literally five-second long microgames, Wario Ware is an insanely fast and funny gaming experience. As the games come fast and furious with almost no break in-between, you can't help but start laughing out loud, not only because of the frenetic pace, but the sheer ludicrousness of some of the games, such as picking a nose, frying an egg or lighting up a city with an electric eel. The replay value is excellent, making Wario Ware a game you'll want to come back to for more.

7. Legend of Zelda: OOT and Master Quest (GameCube)- A pleasant suprise for anyone who pre-ordered the Wind Waker, OOT still proves that it still has a right to be called one of the greatest games ever made, even over five years later. The story is still as timeless and grand as it was back in 1998 and it invoked warm feelings of nostalgia playing it again, like having a reunion with an old friend. The Master Quest puts your gaming skill to the test: it's insanely hard dungeons will leave you scratching your head for days.

6. Star Wars: Jedi Academy (PC)- The ultimate Star Wars game for all us aspiring Jedi wanna-be's who have swung cardboard tubes around in imitation lightsaber battles. It takes elements that made JO great and builds upon them allowing for more saber types, Force powers (for SP) more enemies and more moves. MP was a bit disappointing, although Siege is a great game type. It is in SP that I was impressed. I had a blast playing through SP mode multiple times as it has a replay value that is far longer than JO.

5. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (PC)- Probably the best MP game I've played in a long time, ET is an outstanding WWII game. The entire game is objective-based missions that stress on teamwork. The character classes are much deeper than JA's character classes, allowing for RPG-esque leveling up and XP points, allowing the classes to learn new abilities as they progress. At the same time, more XP allows for a bit easier time, but is not so overpowered that new players get beaten every time. For a free game, Enemy Territory is a truly great game, one well worth downloading.

4. Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (GameCube)- Okay, I'll admit it; I'm a big history buff, especially concerning World War II. Having played games that have only shown the European part of the War, playing Rising Sun was a welcome change that showed the war on the other side of the globe. Unlike MOH: Frontline, (my previous experience with the MOH series) Rising Sun is verychallenging on Normal mode. I was suprised at the ferocity and excellent tactics of the Japanese AI, doing everything from hiding in trees to popping up from holes dug in the ground to brandishing bayonets and samurai swords in determined banzai charges against me. I wondered how EA Games was going to top the adrenaline rush of storming the beaches of Normandy on Frontline. They managed to outdo themselves with a frantic and intense recreation of the attack on Pearl Harbor. Authenticity was spot on, something the series has always been good at. Their MP was suprisingly good, allowing for bots that can be made to be very hard opponents indeed and Team matches as well as standard Free For All's. In all, a fantastic game for WWII buffs like me.

3. Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GameCube)- A truly worthy successor to the N64 Zelda games, the Wind Waker is a marvel to play. Contrary to what others may think of it, I have no problem at all with the cel-shaded look to the game. In fact, it adds more character to the game in that it allows for more visible emotions on people's faces than was possible before. The whole world seems alive and vibrant. Though I missed Epona, sailing on the open seas was a welcome change of pace. Though different than previous games, the Wind Waker still has features that all Zelda game has: challenging dungeons, memorable characters, wonderous devices and gargantuan bosses. The only downfall: after playing through the game, like all Zelda games, there's not really enough incentive to play through again.

2. Viewtiful Joe (GameCube)- "HENSHIN A GO GO, BABY!!!" If you've played Viewtiful Joe, you'll understand why I can't stop yelling that phrase. This is truly the reason why video games were made in the first place. It's so simple, yet so complex. It has a wacky sense of humor. The story is so cheesy that it's actually not bad. All sorts of puns and inside jokes are made about popular culture and video games, from Star Wars to the Mario Bros. The music is a nifty rock/techno combo that will have you humming. The game starts easy enough to catch on what to do, but it becomes difficult enough that you have to call upon the best of your gaming skills to succeed. But above all else, the coolness factor of this game is through the roof! There's special "VFX" powers that Joe uses that slows time down, speeds time up, and zooms in, allowing Joe to perform nifty acrobatic stunts and fighting moves. You can combine any of the aforementioned powers to allow for some truly eye-popping and insanely cool moves. It's hard to explain, but you just FEEL cool while dishing Matrix-esque combos out on enemies, the game is that awesome. Anyone who considers themselves true gamers (and even those who don't!) should at least rent the game, if not buy it. Trust me, you will like this game. If you don't, you must have lost your soul.

1. Mario Kart: Double Dash!!- The Mario Kart series just keeps getting better. having two characters per kart, character-specific items, customized karts, and an downright ruthless AI on 150cc and Mirror Mode make the game the most fun and challenging Mario Kart experience to date.
I haven't played most of the games on that list, but not a bad one.


Vader's wife was very pregnant when she died 19 years ago. All of a sudden a 19 year old who is very strong in the force and has a distinct resembalance to him in his younger days rolls in from Vader's home planet with his old Master Obi-Wan (Who was the ONLY other person preset at the time his wife died. And to boot, the kid's last name is Skywalker.

So in answer to your question, he knew Luke was his son because his name is Darth Vader, and not Darth Retard.


-Forum post on why Vader knew Luke was his son.
jokemaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Yoda’s Swamp > *Our* Top 10 Games of 2003!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:45 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.