lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: SWGB III ideas
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-30-2003, 12:17 PM   #41
saberhagen

And LF would probably say that if you're not prepared to pay then you're not a loyal Star Wars fan...
saberhagen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-30-2003, 09:11 PM   #42
MasterN64

Wow, this thread goes from SWGB III to EU then to Star Trek. What next?

Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the presence of fear and yet the will to go on...
MasterN64 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2003, 02:02 AM   #43
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Battlestar Galactica

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2003, 05:43 AM   #44
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

Well, personally i find it disgusting that i payed to see the films at the Cinema, then i pay to hire out the DVD's to see the deleted scenes, then i pay to buy the VHS' (gonna get the DVD's later) - and now they want me to pay even more to see one f**king deleted scene that should have been on the Ep2 DVD.
Quite frankly, i would burn all of my Star Wars related products before i pay to see material that should be free.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
Darth Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2003, 11:17 AM   #45
saberhagen

Why should it be free? They're a business, they exist to make money.

Disgust is a vice.
Old 01-01-2004, 08:38 AM   #46
Admiral Vostok
Lord of Star Wars Purists

Yeah, what saberhagen said. I don't see why it should be free at all. And considering all the other stuff you get for joinging hyperspace.com, I'd say it's quite fairly priced.

Admiral Vostok, Star Wars Scholar and Lord of the Star Wars Purists.

Check out Admiral Vostok's plan for a new Star Wars RTS
Admiral Vostok is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2004, 09:18 AM   #47
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

You dont have to pay to see deleted scenes on starrek.com. You dont have to pay to download additional items for 'The Sims' from Maxis.

Many, if not all, new DVD's have deleted scenes on them along with other bonus material. Only some pieces of scum, like Lucasfilm, ask you to pay to see deleted scenes on a DVD, then pay again to see others online, that should have been on the DVD.

To me, all this is, is trying to squeeze every last cent out of fans. Star Trek doesnt do it, they didnt do it with Indianna Jones, James Bond, Aliens etc etc. Why Star Wars?

Dark Lord of the Purists

Old 01-01-2004, 08:02 PM   #48
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Complain all you want Windu, if you were the owner of some very popular serie, you'd do the same thing. As we all would...

Old 01-02-2004, 06:42 AM   #49
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

Exactly how is that an excuse? Apart from no-one here knowing me well enough to predict what i would do, there is absolutely no justification in what lucasfilm and starwars.com has done.

Being such a successful and wealthy franchise, there is no need to charge fans to see extra footage.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Old 01-02-2004, 09:13 AM   #50
saberhagen

And what kind of Star Wars fan calls Lucasfilm "scum"???

The price of anything is as much as someone is prepared to pay for it. The very fact that you are so desperate to see these scenes suggests that there is a market for them. Also there is a need to charge for web content because making it available incurs extra costs on top of the costs of making the films. Video clips tend to be huge files and if there is significant demand for them that's going to use a lot of bandwidth. I doubt that hyperspace makes a huge profit when you take its running costs into account.

If you don't want to pay to see this stuff, don't buy it, but stop complaining. I won't be paying for this scene cos I don't think it's worth seeing. The deleted scenes on the TPM DVD just confirmed that scenes are usually deleted for a good reason...
Old 01-02-2004, 05:03 PM   #51
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Besides, consider hyperspace like a magazine. You have to subscribe to the magazine or buy it at the newstand in order to read it and get whatever is inside right? Then Hyperspace is like a magazine that grants you exclusive stuff from the set of Ep.3 + they give you the chance of watching a deleted scene.
It's all natural.

Old 01-02-2004, 10:36 PM   #52
MasterN64

I agree.

Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the presence of fear and yet the will to go on...
Old 01-03-2004, 05:17 AM   #53
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

saberhagen - so, because im a Star Wars fan, that means that im not allowed to be annoyed with the people who make the films? No offense, but thats a pretty stupid statement.

luke - actually, no. At the newsagent, i read the magazines but dont buy them unless there is a lot of good stuff, and there is only one thing in 'hyerspace' that interests me. I mean, really, who gives a crap about coloured bulletin board nicknames? Aside from that, i dont want to know anything about Ep3 because i want everything to be a suprise when i go see it - so why should i pay all of this money to see a deleted scene that isnt even completed?

Dark Lord of the Purists

Old 01-03-2004, 06:39 PM   #54
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Then why do you want to see it if it's uncompleted therefore not worth seeing?
I don't how newstands work in Australia but in North America they don't let you read the magazines without paying...

Look, think like a businessman. You see all these fans who really want to see a particualr deleted scene. You own all the rights to the movie in question and can do whatever you want with it. As a bussinessman, do you:
A) Give it away making 0$ in the process?
or
B) Charge money because some fans are ready to pay to see it?

Lucasfilm ain't no charitable organization. They're here to make money. Don't expect them to give away so much free stuff.
Hell, for everything that's on regular starwars.com they should charge us something(if any owner of Lucasfilm is reading this, that is NOT a suggestion).

Old 01-04-2004, 12:36 PM   #55
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

No, in Australia, the mags and newspapers are set up so that you can look through them rather than having to buy them first.

Anyhow, yes, Lucasfilm is a business, but i see the two options a little differently.
1. Allow fans to see the scene for free as a reward for their devotion to Star Wars and paying all of their money to see the films - of which this scene was originally a part.

2. Make fans pay, thereby squeezing even more mobney out of them, and shutting off content from those who cant afford it or object to being forced to pay to see an unfinished scene.

The reason i want to see this scene is because it sounds interesting as i heard quite a bit about it but have never seen it. If it had been completed with special effects and whatnot, i can see the justification for charging fans for access - but the point is that it ISNT finished, they didnt spend any extra money on the scene, so why should i pay them to see it?

Dark Lord of the Purists

Old 01-04-2004, 04:23 PM   #56
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Because it's their property. They do what they like with it. They could have completely kept it away from everyone.
If you're that desperate go try to download it from kazaa or something like that.

Old 01-05-2004, 09:09 AM   #57
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

Actually i tried Kazaa but couldnt find it

As i said though, if the scene had been completed with special effects, i can understand why they would charge people to see it, as the completion of the scene would have cost a bit of money. My point is though that they DIDNT spend any money on it, so there is no good reason to charge people to see the scene.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Old 01-05-2004, 02:41 PM   #58
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
They did spend money on it. Hell, you have to pay the actors, the scenery...even if it's deleted they get paid. Since Lucasfilm lost money in this scene, they charge people money to sompensate for it.

Old 01-05-2004, 03:50 PM   #59
DarthMaulUK

This has gone WAY off topic - but for now, i will just be keeping an eye on it.

DMUK ;-)
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-05-2004, 07:35 PM   #60
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Eh well, we only have two thread alive right now so...

Old 01-05-2004, 07:48 PM   #61
DarthMaulUK

Thats why im only watching ;-)

DMUK
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-05-2004, 08:11 PM   #62
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
This is why I don't get involved with the EU vs Canon. Too much to read, and I'm too lazy to type a long reply to all the remarks.

Either, way, EU rules.

And Star Trek doesn't.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-06-2004, 03:57 AM   #63
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

luke - not true. The money spent on that scene was part of the Episode 2 budget, the same as all of the other deleted scenes. Therefore, there are no extra costs that fans should have to pay for. Do you really beleive that the actors got payed when starwars.com put this scene on its site? Lets start living in the real world.

You still havent been able to come up with a good argument against my assertion that, if the scene was completed, there would be a good reason to charge fans to see it, but because it wasnt completed, there is no good reason.

Phreak - i disagree about EU, but agree about Star Trek at the moment - 'Enterprise' is a complete disaster.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Old 01-06-2004, 10:16 PM   #64
Admiral Vostok
Lord of Star Wars Purists

On the subject of living in the real world, perhaps you need to realise, Windu, that nothing in life is free.

Admiral Vostok, Star Wars Scholar and Lord of the Star Wars Purists.

Check out Admiral Vostok's plan for a new Star Wars RTS
Admiral Vostok is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-06-2004, 11:15 PM   #65
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Windu

You still havent been able to come up with a good argument against my assertion that, if the scene was completed, there would be a good reason to charge fans to see it, but because it wasnt completed, there is no good reason.
Argh, God they give you a chance to see it already. They don't have to do that. They don't have to set up hyperspace, they don't have to set up an official site or do anything.

You that use so many real world examples, you should be more realistic. Vostok is totally right. As sad as it is, NOTHING in the world comes free, nothing is totally free, if you want some freebies, grow them in your garden. As long as you don't own it, it's not you who decides its fate. This scene was never supposed to be shown but fans heard about it and then everybody wants to see it.
Look, I'm not rich, not anything near rich but I've come to realise that in the world, in this world, making money is basically the only way to survive. These people are making their money here, you pay 20 $ for a year of special exclusive content from ep3.
Now here, if a magazine has an exclusive playable demo for some console game, you have to pay for the magazine to get that demo. Same thing here, this magazine has the exclusive right to this one deleted scene and you have to pay for the magazine to get it.

Is that so complicated? Why don't you send an e-mail to Lucasfilm complaining about this? They would turn you down so easily. You have to realise that these guys are businessmen and women. You have to realise that these people are here to make money and they don't really care about â few persons who complaint about this because most of the other hyperspace members are quite happy with their services and the content they're getting from it. Some of them even paid only to see this deleted scene and the businessman thinks about it for a second and says :"Hey, people are willing to pay money to see this! Let's rip them off!"
Unless you live in a certain utopia, where everyone is so nice and charitable to the others including businessmen, you have to face reality that nothing can stop these people from doing what they want with what they own. Hell, if you wanted to charge people for seeing your home movies after you bought the rights to them, you could!

You believe what you want to believe, you live in your little utopian dream, I'm going to try to iomprove my real world, not stupidly trying to change everything.

Old 01-22-2004, 01:01 PM   #66
JediStickmanBob
Rookie

Exclamation PLEASE?!!!

CAN WE PLEASE STOP ARGUING??!!!!
Windu: I have seen all of Star Trek and "Enterprise" is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off subject. I agree
IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JediStickmanBob is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2004, 04:00 PM   #67
MasterN64

As the starter of this little thread i feel that WE SHOULD STOP THE ARGUING!!!! You guys can continue this little argument on another thread.

Moderators: Feel free to close!!!!! I'm tired of this thread!!!!! MAKE THEM MAKE ANOTHER THREAD FOR THIS!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!! OR AT LEAST CLOSE IT!!!!!!

Thank you.

Old 01-22-2004, 10:29 PM   #68
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
It's been over for quite awhile now. Because of you guys, it's been ressurrected. Besides, it's very common for threads to go off-topic and arguing is what we do best.

Old 01-28-2004, 11:12 PM   #69
MasterN64

Well i am glad everyone has stopped posting in this little thread. A little less arguing in the world wont do any harm.

Old 02-08-2004, 11:06 PM   #70
JediStickmanBob
Rookie

I resent that. (no offense)
JediStickmanBob is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > Community > GalacticBattles.com > Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds > Galactic Discussion > SWGB III ideas