lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Fred Tetra, 'lil jawa, or HazardX Can you help?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-13-2004, 04:35 PM   #1
bneezy21

Fred Tetra, 'lil jawa, or HazardX Can you help?

Can any of you modify the source for this NWN mdl decompiler? There is a import script for gmax that might work if we can get the file decompiled. Or edit the script. http://www.torlack.com/index.html?to...wntools_readme
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-13-2004, 05:26 PM   #2
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Helpful! Notable contributor 
From what I have seen in my experimentation with in the new model format, it seems to be substantially different from the prior format.

In order to even think about rewriting source code, one has to know what the new format is. Since the old format was not described in a public document, it had to be reverse engineered to be understood, no doubt through quite a few hours of testing and trial-and-error experimentation.

I know that Eiz has spent some not-insignificant time trying to figure it out as well, and, given that I haven't seen any announcements regarding breakthoughs, is likely still either busy with it or has given up. (Though I would expect the former, coming from a person who figured out the dxt1 and 5 formats were used in the texture files )

That said, I think that it would be easier to write a decompiler from scratch with a known model format that it would be to rewrite existing code to match an unknown format that has yet to be understood. It really is that hard. (Sorry!)
Fred Tetra is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > Fred Tetra, 'lil jawa, or HazardX Can you help?