lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: WIP: Custom Model Pack
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-24-2004, 09:17 AM   #41
Noxrepere

With your model pack how do you name the different legs, torsos, and heads?

With the regular models the segments would be, for example, hips, head. head_face, etc...

With your model do you just give any new meshes a name like hips_a, head_c,etc...? Do you also have a base mesh that uses the regular names then and the new meshes are just treated as selectable surfaces? I've looked at the skin files by Raven before but can't remember off the top of my head and you have first hand experience.

If I'm thinking this through correctly, if each mesh is distinctly named shouldn't the game see the properly named LODS for only that mesh and then default to the regular mesh for anything that doesn't show an LOD.

I believe somewhere in SpaceMonkey's tutorial there was a statement from Raven saying that only 2 LODS were really needed (like LOD_1 and LOD_3). In a situation like that the game would recognize that there are some LODS but not all three additional sets. So, it would probably show LOD_1 in place of LOD_2 since it can't find it and then go to LOD_3 when it gets to whatever conditions determine the LOD switching.

If that were applied to a situation with a model pack like this, it would seem that the game would show LODS for the meshes that have them and use the highest detail meshes (like it normally does) for everything else.

Interesting stuff.

Quote:
Something pretty neat that you could do with LOD's though, is actually change their appearance. This way the model will look different from afar. Kind of like a hallucination or a mirage that changes appearance when you get closer.
That would be funny. It would definately confuse people who didn't know that it was switching LODS.
Noxrepere is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2004, 09:28 AM   #42
keshire
Veteran

Most people don't even know what LOD means. Nor that the game uses it. Their just all like "oooh look at all the pretty graphics with no slow down"

Apathy Cannot Inspire.
Ambivalence cannot lead.
Loved me. Feared me.
Changed me. Killed me.
Anything would be something.
But nothing is worst of all.
-Keshire of the Bleak Cabal.
keshire is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2004, 09:42 AM   #43
Noxrepere

Quote:
Most people don't even know what LOD means. Nor that the game uses it. Their just all like "oooh look at all the pretty graphics with no slow down"

Does anyone know if Softimage handles the creation of LODS differently than 3ds Max?

I know that's the program that Raven used for their character models so I was just wondering if they have an easier set-up for creating their additional LODS.

On a slightly related note, if I'm reading it right, it appears that there will be a free version of Softimage that will be released to enable creation of characters and other models for the upcoming Half-Life 2 game.

Press Release here:
http://www.softimage.com/home/press/...si_exp_hl2.htm

I wonder if that will be usable for JA models as well.

It looks like it's actually avaliable for download now so we won't have to wait long to find out.

Last edited by Noxrepere; 03-24-2004 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:20 AM   #44
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
the model is set up as such
"model jedi_gfx torso_a1(2)(3)/b1/c1/d1/e1/f1/g1/h1/i1/j1/k1 head_a1(2)(3)/b1/c1/d1/e1/f1/g1/h1/i1/j1/k1/l1 lower_a1(2)(3)/b1/c1/d1/e1/f1/g1/h1/i1/j1/k1"

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2004, 06:31 PM   #45
ksk h2o

yea the mesh naming is a little confusing.

differet types of meshes use letters to differentiate.

heada
headb
headc
headl

are the head meshes.

torosoa
torsob
torsok

torso meshes, etc.

then I seprated dfferent skins for the same mesh wth numbers

head_a1
head_a2
etc.

I basicaly copied the raven naming convention. Once you get used to it, it makes sense.

The thing I'm not sur of is if the game will use torsok_01 as the LOD for torsoa as well, or if it will use torsoa as the next level LOD.

Once everythig else is done, I'll add a blatantly different LOD level to see how that works.

Since one will be able to use torsob with legsd, or something like that, I don't know it will look.

ksk h2o is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2004, 11:34 PM   #46
RaSiN_HeCk

Hey, I wasn't all too sure if I was supposed to skin anything for sure, so I just started messing around and came up with like a Special Forces type..guy..e.h... >.> but his face plate won't show up, and when I look at it in game ALL the heads in the pack ar stacked on and untextured except i1, which is the one I'm using.

No idea whats going on there.

and if there's anything you need to be skinned just e-mail me or something.

People who sin say this: They had to, to survive. People who sin say this: It's too late now to stop. The shadow called Sin dogs them steadily from behind, without a word. Remorse and Agony are repeated, to finally end up at Despair. But sinners don't know that if they turn around, there is a light... a light which keeps shining on them ever so warmly. A light that will never fade.
-Vash the Stampede
RaSiN_HeCk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2004, 11:43 PM   #47
El Sitherino
The Original.

Quote:
Originally posted by RaSiN_HeCk
Hey, I wasn't all too sure if I was supposed to skin anything for sure, so I just started messing around and came up with like a Special Forces type..guy..e.h... >.> but his face plate won't show up, and when I look at it in game ALL the heads in the pack ar stacked on and untextured except i1, which is the one I'm using.

No idea whats going on there.

and if there's anything you need to be skinned just e-mail me or something.
omg i am inlove with you! ;_;
that's brilliant, makes me think of robobcop XD

Old 03-25-2004, 01:51 AM   #48
RaSiN_HeCk

aww shucks, it isn't that good ; P

People who sin say this: They had to, to survive. People who sin say this: It's too late now to stop. The shadow called Sin dogs them steadily from behind, without a word. Remorse and Agony are repeated, to finally end up at Despair. But sinners don't know that if they turn around, there is a light... a light which keeps shining on them ever so warmly. A light that will never fade.
-Vash the Stampede
Old 03-25-2004, 01:52 PM   #49
El Sitherino
The Original.

Quote:
aww shucks, it isn't that good ; P
better than mine so far, I need to add some detail to the armor on it.

Old 03-25-2004, 08:06 PM   #50
Autobot Traitor

If his helmet were a little bigger, and he was skinned white, you could make him a Spaceball trooper!
Autobot Traitor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2004, 08:37 PM   #51
ksk h2o

Rasin That's looking very good... if you add some metallic texture to part of the armor I think it will look really good.

You know there is one of the heads... I forgot which one, that has a face inside the helmet.

I had made that head for two purposes, one was to make the mask out of glass so it looks like the guy has a glass see through visor through which you can see his face, and the other was to skin the same mask portion as a kendo mask. With the proper shader one could make that mesh partially see through. So through the metal wires that make up the kendo mask, one could see the face inside.

I don't have the model on the computer which I am on right now, but I will post 3dsmax screenies with transparecy on and givye you the head mesh's letter... tomorrow =)

InsaneSith... I got myself one of those graphic tablets to see if tht will help with my horrible skinning abilities... I;m working onthe shader for your ninja skin. I am also trying my hand at an experimental add on to your texture... I;m trying to see if I can add folds to the textures to make it look like the garment gives away some of the anatomy details of the body it supposedly covers.... If I ever get that finished I'll send you the sample so you can tell me what you think of the idea.

I'm really happy you guys are participating in this project and are doing the skinning, as now I know that the pack will actually be a collective effort and will definitely offer something very valuable.

Thanks to you guys again,

=)

Old 03-25-2004, 09:45 PM   #52
El Sitherino
The Original.

Quote:
Originally posted by ksk h2o

Thanks to you guys again,

=)
I have to say, thank you. I am so glad, I got to take part in this wonderful project.
I have some updates, I added some detail to the faces. that I had been working on.

Old 03-26-2004, 01:42 AM   #53
RaSiN_HeCk

Quote:
Rasin That's looking very good... if you add some metallic texture to part of the armor I think it will look really good.

I can't do shaders at all X.x but I can tryand make it look more metalic

I was thinking of making a Camo version too, whichwould be real easy

Edit>>

can you tell how many are in the picture?

-Vash the Stampede

Last edited by RaSiN_HeCk; 03-26-2004 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:17 AM   #54
Archonon
Rookie

Wow RaSIN that SWAT guy looks awesome, is he part of this Grey Fox pack or a stand alone?

And areyou going to put a faceplate, visor or human face inside the untextured helmet?

Can't wait to see the finished version, great job.

Archonon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2004, 07:45 AM   #55
ksk h2o

I can add shaders to the textures without a problem.

But the base texture needs to have higlights. If you take a look at malak's skins and look at the torso textrures ending with _spec you will see what I mean.

If the base texture has highlights, I can make specular textures for them and use it in the shading. So for example you need to already have high brightness areas on your textures to show me where you want the paex of the shine.

Malak's toso skin for example has a few bright spots on his chest. Kind of like someone took a photo of a shiny object. The shine is static but it's there. Then in specular textures, one accentuates this shine to make it stronger and uses this high contrast image as a specular map.

It is very hard to do shiny textures for a base skin that has almost no metallic shine or texture to it. I could use environment mapping like in grayfox, but that will look VERY shiny and applies to everywhere one uses that texture. So if you want part of the body to be shiny but part of it not to... given the current texture sets that are in the pack, it would not be possible to use environment mapping.

Long story short, add bright spots on your base texture to make it look like a static image of a shiny object. Try to make it so the bright ness gradually envelopes and blends into the rest of the texture so it looks natural... I know, MUCH easier said than done =)

Old 03-26-2004, 10:19 AM   #56
El Sitherino
The Original.

i wish I'd thought of the camo guy XD. That's brilliant. I'll scrap mine. Nice work for sure. I'll still be working on the samurai though

<_< we should try and add the RGB shader to these guys too. For ULTIMATE CUSTOMIZABILITY!. >_> just a thought.

Old 03-28-2004, 01:13 PM   #57
MadCow1989

thats sweet Rasin it looks good

btw i just came here H2o is the GrayFox model your working on the same as the Old JK2 one or is it a new Rebuild one?
MadCow1989 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-02-2004, 02:29 PM   #58
LightNinja
The Ninjonator

Nice skin Rasin, there are 4 and a guy? well, here is how is going my ninja, ksk, maybe is just me but when i choose ingame the ninja head it appears the ninja and the samurai head together and the same with the torso :S

BTW: how you make weapons appear at ModView

~JA MP Total Conversion~
LightNinja is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-02-2004, 10:04 PM   #59
ksk h2o

That is looking awesome Light Ninja!

I think the .skin files may be messed up if both heads and torso's appear it might be bcecause those surfaces are not turned off in those .skin files.

Mad Cow, the Grayfox model is basically the same with minor tweaks, but it's re-rigged to the right skeleton thins time. =)

Old 04-02-2004, 11:31 PM   #60
Flamehart
The Commander

So when are we looking for this to come out? I loved the Gray Fox model, and I can't wait for these to come out.

And when I say "when are they coming out," I mean how much is done, and how much are you planning to do, and how long will it take you at this current speed (if you understand all that )

Check out my fictional novel writing project, Immortal Judgement, at my dA page.
http://shadowwolf471.deviantart.com
Flamehart is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-03-2004, 01:35 AM   #61
RaSiN_HeCk

Well, myself, I only have like 2 skins kinda done, lol. I've beenbusy lately >.>

and about the metalic glare, should there be a spevific angle the light's coming from? or should I make it look like he's sirrounded by lights

that good?

-Vash the Stampede

Last edited by RaSiN_HeCk; 04-03-2004 at 02:24 AM.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:23 AM   #62
[FotF]Maddog
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by LightNinja
Nice skin Rasin, there are 4 and a guy? well, here is how is going my ninja, ksk, maybe is just me but when i choose ingame the ninja head it appears the ninja and the samurai head together and the same with the torso :S

BTW: how you make weapons appear at ModView
I made a tutorial for setting up and using ModView including adding weapons.
You can find it on www.jedimoves.com under the how to section or diretlcy at the link below. http://www.jedimovesfiles.com/site/...ow/modview.html

I hope this helps.

Dog
[FotF]Maddog is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-03-2004, 10:30 AM   #63
LightNinja
The Ninjonator

thx

~JA MP Total Conversion~
Old 04-03-2004, 02:04 PM   #64
ksk h2o

Some pointers: Just because the image maps are 512x512, it doesn't mean the skins have to be that size. You can create textures in 1024x1024 to add more detail. I'm working on some skins myself anf they sure are 1024 format.

I've seen that both the ninja mesh and the samurai mesh have some really screwy weighing. Now that there is a skin on them, you can see the problems. I'm fixing the wieghing of these meshes.

Also I've updated the Mapping of these two meshes as well. There were some errors. The ninja's torso did not map very well, and the samurai mesh had various issues. For example the part underneath the torso's folding armor were not mapped right, also the pad segments (the things he has on the arms and legs) had some problems at the joints... etc etc. This shouldn't affect the existing skins. only the smaurai torso has some big tweaks, but all that needs to do be done to the existing skins is just displacing and scaikng existing textures. No need to re-skin anything thank god.

As for a finish time... it looks like only torso B is left without a skin. And we need to finish up these meshes, work on shaders etc etc etc.. at this time it is impossible to tell WHEN it will be done. This is all done on every ones spare time, and that can be very variable. It could take a month, it could take a week, it could take two months, nobody knows. We can only be somewhat sure once the major stuff is done and once a release is a week or so away. Right now were are not at that stage yet, so it's going to be a little while I think.

Old 04-03-2004, 02:30 PM   #65
LightNinja
The Ninjonator

I see that you noticed that problems, but look into the lower_e1, there are some polys that are in the hips maps but they are from the knee o_0.
Also that licky flash from the webpage of your signature is....ROFLMAO

~JA MP Total Conversion~
Old 04-03-2004, 04:21 PM   #66
ksk h2o

Thanks for poiniting that out... I'll look into it.

Heh... licky.... yes I like that one too... not a conceptual creation of mine. I saw it as a HUGE gif and made it into a small flash... I could probably convert it to a gif so people couls use it in posts.

My personal favorie there is kitty and squirrel.

Old 04-14-2004, 10:10 PM   #67
RaSiN_HeCk

It's Spider Man!!!! w00t! real easy skin ,only heads so far

updates

added texture tothe Original Spider-Man's mask

made what I like to call 'Modern Day Russian Ninja Sniper' made this image bright so you could see, I was thinking I(well, not I, but someone else) could put a shader on the eyes

-Vash the Stampede

Last edited by RaSiN_HeCk; 04-16-2004 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:44 AM   #68
RaSiN_HeCk

finished the symbiote spider man

-Vash the Stampede
Old 04-18-2004, 04:39 AM   #69
Crowy
Forumite

Location: on a peice of plywood with this sandpaper type stuff on it
im not sure if its just me but the heads skin looks lighter than the rest of the suit, or maybe a different shade of blue... i duno

In Loving Memory Of Corinne Brittan.

September 3rd 1986 - November 30th 2003
Crowy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2004, 05:06 AM   #70
Noxrepere

Should the white of the eyes go up to a point at the outer corners?

Here's a sample picture to show what I mean.

Spider-Man

I like the way everything's looking, the eyes just seem a little off. It looks really cool! Good job!

I see what Crowy means with the color of the head as well.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:07 AM   #71
RaSiN_HeCk

Well, there's a bump for the eye's and the white is that whole thing, AND I was going for the comic book look, so if I was going for perfection the eyes would be much larger and cover most of the head

and about the shade of blue ,yes it's different ,but I've fixed that since these screens.

-Vash the Stampede
Old 04-18-2004, 07:52 AM   #72
Noxrepere

Quote:
Well, there's a bump for the eye's and the white is that whole thing, AND I was going for the comic book look, so if I was going for perfection the eyes would be much larger and cover most of the head

and about the shade of blue ,yes it's different ,but I've fixed that since these screens.
Okay, that's cool. I was just curious. Very awesome skin!
Old 05-05-2004, 09:47 AM   #73
ksk h2o

Hi everyone,

I'm not dead. The project is NOT dropped or dead. It just hit a speed bump. Both work wise I am on a project that has a deadline, needs to be completed soon, and also system wise: my computer died. The data is safe. I just don't have a decent computer to work on. Definitely not one where I can run 3ds max on right now. So untill either my existing system is fixed, or I get myself a new computer, I'll have to drool over the skins that Rasin, Insane Sith and Light Ninja have put together.

I was workign on some skins myself and was fixing some of the wieghing/mapping problems in the model when my system went buh bye (long story). I'm in my third or so week of trying to get my **** back together, this is taking a long time.

The spidey skin looks great Rasin. Hopefully I'll have an error free mesh you can put thos awesome skins on. And hopefully I will be able to post some screenies of some of the skins I've been working on.

Old 05-05-2004, 06:44 PM   #74
El Sitherino
The Original.

Quote:
Originally posted by ksk h2o
Hi everyone,

I'm not dead. The project is NOT dropped or dead. It just hit a speed bump. Both work wise I am on a project that has a deadline, needs to be completed soon, and also system wise: my computer died. The data is safe. I just don't have a decent computer to work on. Definitely not one where I can run 3ds max on right now. So untill either my existing system is fixed, or I get myself a new computer, I'll have to drool over the skins that Rasin, Insane Sith and Light Ninja have put together.

I was workign on some skins myself and was fixing some of the wieghing/mapping problems in the model when my system went buh bye (long story). I'm in my third or so week of trying to get my **** back together, this is taking a long time.

The spidey skin looks great Rasin. Hopefully I'll have an error free mesh you can put thos awesome skins on. And hopefully I will be able to post some screenies of some of the skins I've been working on.
sounds great. Glad to here you're alive and well.

Old 05-06-2004, 01:48 AM   #75
RaSiN_HeCk

yay, I was worried for a bit there

-Vash the Stampede
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > Showcase forum > Modelling > WIP: Custom Model Pack