lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: More Ships to XWA
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-09-2000, 06:47 PM   #1
Zraii
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Arrow More Ships to XWA

Is it a way to add more crafts to a mission than the 71 (I think) at the same time?

Wouldn't it be better to have a big big battle of crafts on scene at the same time?
Like one with about 200 ships or something.

/Zraii

------------------
"- Always two there are..
a Master and a aprentice."

------------------

Master_Zraii@hotmail.com

http://sr2.xoom.com/sluisvan
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2000, 07:01 PM   #2
Steele
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Red face

Sorry man,no way !!

------------------
Steele Aerospace - I have a good feeling about this page


  you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2000, 08:20 PM   #3
Zraii
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Zraii:
Is it a way to add more crafts to a mission than the 71 (I think) at the same time?

Wouldn't it be better to have a big big battle of crafts on scene at the same time?
Like one with about 200 ships or something.

/Zraii

Okay, thanks.
But it would have been cool though to have a real space battle

/Zraii
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2000, 01:59 AM   #4
TK421
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Yeah but I don't really see the point - there's no way you could keep track of 200 ships at once, and you'd have to have a monster machine if just a fraction of them were capital ships.

IMO a nice little dogfight of around 30 to 40 fighters total is quite real enough, most of the StarWars books/movies had large engagements of perhaps 2 squadrons to each side, but usually a lot less.

The battle of Naboo, a dozen N-1s but lots of Droid Fighters (say 60 or so).
The battle of Yavin, 30+ Rebel snubfighters against what looked like a single squadron of TIEs.

the exception, but it was the finale
The battle of Endor, a few mixed squadrons of Rebel ships against many squadrons of TIEs.
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2000, 09:00 AM   #5
Zraii
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally posted by TK421:
Yeah but I don't really see the point - there's no way you could keep track of 200 ships at once, and you'd have to have a monster machine if just a fraction of them were capital ships.

IMO a nice little dogfight of around 30 to 40 fighters total is quite real enough, most of the StarWars books/movies had large engagements of perhaps 2 squadrons to each side, but usually a lot less.

The battle of Naboo, a dozen N-1s but lots of Droid Fighters (say 60 or so).
The battle of Yavin, 30+ Rebel snubfighters against what looked like a single squadron of TIEs.

the exception, but it was the finale
The battle of Endor, a few mixed squadrons of Rebel ships against many squadrons of TIEs.
Yes, that's true. But I want it more real. I want more neutral ships. Like more of heavy space lanes and other stuff. If you read one of the books like Heir to the Empire you will see that Thrawn used alot of ships.

Just look at the Sluis Van battle. Thrawn had 5 Star Destroyers. 25 dreadnaught cruisers and 25 strike cruisers, all in the different group of Star Destroyers + a bunch of fighters. And just look at the Sluis Van ship yard. How many ships where stationed at the yard?

/Zraii
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2000, 11:47 AM   #6
TK421
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a dozen or so extra freighters, cargo haulers and the like when you're visisiting a major trading station - that would be realistic. But 5 StarDestroyers and over 50 cruiser class ships at once, plus their fighter screen?

Thrawn's attack on the Sluis Van wasn't even a real battle as I recall, he dropped in, started a diversion so he could steal some ship (cruisers I believe) then he nicked off.

Sadly Zraii, I just don't think we have the processing power to do something like that in a game that is as detailed and immersive as XWA.
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-14-2000, 04:27 PM   #7
Marril
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Hmm, can anyone say Katana Fleet? There was a HUGE amount of Dreadnaughts(sp?) there, not to mention lots of Thrawn's and the Republic's fighters.

And don't get me started on the asteroid Coruscant assault...

My point: TONS of ships are used in the novels.I'll try to name more instances of TONS of ships being used. Daala's attack on Calamari had what, 5 different shipyards, the Startide, and 3 ISD's there? not to mention all the TIE squadrons the the B-Wings...
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-14-2000, 04:37 PM   #8
Zraii
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post

The Katana Fleet had 200 dreadnaught cruisers.

I still think there is a way. There should be one anyway :-). I mean the space is so huge. And remember that X-Wing Alliance can have more fighters than any other of the X-Wing games.
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-14-2000, 06:57 PM   #9
Marril
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Quote:
Originally posted by Zraii:
The Katana Fleet had 200 dreadnaught cruisers.

I still think there is a way. There should be one anyway :-). I mean the space is so huge. And remember that X-Wing Alliance can have more fighters than any other of the X-Wing games.
I dunno. There was one mission in TIE Fighter (forget which one) that had hundreds of enemy TIE's (this was Zaarin, I think) screaming after you, along with a bunch of cruisers...
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-14-2000, 07:14 PM   #10
Zraii
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally posted by Marril:
I dunno. There was one mission in TIE Fighter (forget which one) that had hundreds of enemy TIE's (this was Zaarin, I think) screaming after you, along with a bunch of cruisers...
That maybe, but the TIE's wasn't all at once.
In TIE Fighter you can only have 32 ships at the same time.

/Zraii
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-14-2000, 11:32 PM   #11
Vark111
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Well, this may not neccesarily answer your original question, but from a mission design point of view, I found that a lot of people make the mistake of having, for example, two flight groups of six TIE's each, where the optimum solution would be six flight groups of two TIE's each. Same number of fighters, but *way* different feel to the mission. Go ahead and try it out on a Skirmish. Use multiple waves, and you'll see what I mean.

The problem lies in when the next wave shows up -- which is after the last ship in the flight group is killed. So the more flight groups you have, the better. I've done a couple of missions (for TIE Fighter) where it felt like you were taking on the entire A-Wing production run for the Rebel Fleet. Of course it was only 8 A-wings, but it was 8 flight groups of lone A-Wings each with 8 or so replacement waves. You kill one, and boom! Another one was there to take it's place. Once the merge took place, you didn't know or care how many there were.

Personally, seeing 200+ ships in one mission would only really mean anything if you were sitting back and looking at this awesome space battle. Once you get in and involved, all you care about is the one in your sights and the one at your 6.

Take care.

------------------
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-15-2000, 03:16 AM   #12
TK421
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up

I learned that tactic a while ago too Vark, it definetely improves the mission. my missions usually have multiple Flighgroups using the same name with 1 or 2 ships per Flightgroup, with just 12 TIEs you can get swamped very quickly, not to mention it makes escort missions damm hard.

I'v seen a lot of missions like you describe, it makes them too easy IMO. Take out 6 T/Is then while the next wave of 6 T/Is travel the 4km to 5km to get to you, you can easily take out any T/Bs or mission targets.
  you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > XWingAlliance.net > 1. XwingAlliance > Editing Corner > More Ships to XWA

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:19 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.