lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Rebel Alliance racist?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-27-2004, 01:33 AM   #1
DemonKing

Rebel Alliance racist?

I was just watching episode IV last night and I noticed at the end of the movie where Han and Luke get their medals Chewie gets *nothing*. He even has to stand lower than the other two (although given he is taller).

In fact, it seems the rebel alliance are exclusively human until ROTJ, by which stage it seem attrition has taken its toll and they are forced to accept non-humans into the mix.

That doesn't stop a mere General like Calrissian overruling Admiral Akbar in the space battle above Endor however.

DemonKing

"At this stage I believe I now understand the truth, which is that Lucas has gone over to the dark side. He is a Darth Billionaire ruling an empire, and is no longer leading a rebellion. He was once a semi-independent force, overshadowed by a dark and powerful business, but still managed to beat the odds and on his own terms, but now he sits on a throne with lightning in his hands and a franchise in his clenched fist."
DemonKing is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 02:00 AM   #2
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
It's because Lucas didn't have that much funding. Notice how the prequals have a billion aliens... and that's just in one scene. It's not like they can just come up with alien costumes out of thin air.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 02:23 AM   #3
DemonKing

Quote:
Originally posted by Lynk Former
It's because Lucas didn't have that much funding. Notice how the prequals have a billion aliens... and that's just in one scene. It's not like they can just come up with alien costumes out of thin air.
Doesn't explain why he couldn't splurge for one more lousy medal for Chewie though.

DemonKing

"At this stage I believe I now understand the truth, which is that Lucas has gone over to the dark side. He is a Darth Billionaire ruling an empire, and is no longer leading a rebellion. He was once a semi-independent force, overshadowed by a dark and powerful business, but still managed to beat the odds and on his own terms, but now he sits on a throne with lightning in his hands and a franchise in his clenched fist."
DemonKing is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 07:26 AM   #4
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
What did Chewie do? Luke fired the winning shot and Han destroyed the tie fighter that threw off Vader. Chewie was lucky to be on the damn stage.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 08:20 AM   #5
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Chewie gets the last line, and his growls control the audience (remember he growls and they all turn and face). Chewie doesn't need no stinkin medal.

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 12:40 PM   #6
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

What I'm wondering is how did Han and Lando get such high ranks when they just got involved with the Rebellion? Lando was working with the Empire helping them capture Rebels, and in the next film he's a general in the Rebel Alliance? If it's that easy to gain a place in command in the Rebel Alliance, I wonder how many Rebel officers were really Imperial spies.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 01:05 PM   #7
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally posted by TK-8252
Lando was working with the Empire helping them capture Rebels, and in the next film he's a general in the Rebel Alliance? If it's that easy to gain a place in command in the Rebel Alliance, I wonder how many Rebel officers were really Imperial spies.
They must have heard about his little manouver at the Battle of Tanaab.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 01:54 PM   #8
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Well the number one thing to remember with stuff like this is that it's nore real and it doesn't have to make sense...

"how did she jump off the train onto another train and not get hurt?"

You're not supposed to ask questions like that, the reason anything happens is to make the story progress from start to finish.

Old 09-27-2004, 05:15 PM   #9
Autobot Traitor

Lando was a successful administrator on Bespin, giving him excellent leadership experience. As for Han, he was an experienced pilot and gorilla flying tactics. The latter doesn't really make for a general, but bleh.
Autobot Traitor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 09:10 PM   #10
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Maybe in 2050 with the Special Special Special Special (etc. ) Edition, we'll finally get to see "Admiral Chewbacca" in action!

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 11:40 PM   #11
Kain
I'm a ghost

Current Game: Not so much.
Forum Veteran 10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally posted by Autobot Traitor
Lando was a successful administrator on Bespin, giving him excellent leadership experience. As for Han, he was an experienced pilot and gorilla flying tactics. The latter doesn't really make for a general, but bleh.
Actually, given the lack of fire-power the Rebellion had compaired to the Empire, the Rebellion had to rely on guerilla tactics, thus making Solo an EXCELLENT choice for his experience in said tactics.

As for Calrissian, as Prime said, he was a key factor in the Battle of Tanaab, not to mention he helped in the rescue of Chewbacca, Han Solo, and Princess Leia on Tantooine...not that I think that mattered.

And Calrissian didn't outrank Ackbar, per se', he just had rank over all the squadron leaders in the battle of Endor. Ackbar just took Calrissian's advice when he said they can't retreat at the battle of Endor.

Ackbar was an intellegence officer, Calrissian was a battle officer - they were about even.

And before I forget - Ackbar had to be at the Battle of Endor to captain the Calamari Cruiser he was aboard. They were the Rebellion's only fighting chance against the Star Destroyers.
Kain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 11:50 PM   #12
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Ackbar's job in the battle of Endor was to order around the capital ships and support vessels, Lando was incharge of the fighter groups.

When the Death Star used its Super Laser for the first time Ackbar was worried that the capital ships would all be destroyed if the battle kept going for too long which was EXTREMELY likely, however Lando had faith in Han who was tying to take the shield down.

Old 09-28-2004, 06:17 AM   #13
Kryllith
Hideous Twit

Quote:
Originally posted by Autobot Traitor
As for Han, he was an experienced pilot and gorilla flying tactics. The latter doesn't really make for a general, but bleh.
Apparently he was also an effective leader, as Leia indicates when Han's getting ready to leave the Rebellion behind to pay his debts at the beginning of ESB. We can see by the way the Rebel respect him in ESB that he's got leadership qualities (and rank already, as I believe he was a Commander). Toss in the fact that he aided in rescuing the Leia from the Death Star and the destruction of the Death Star and he's just bucking for promotions.

Kryllith
Kryllith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2004, 10:12 AM   #14
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally posted by DemonKing
Doesn't explain why he couldn't splurge for one more lousy medal for Chewie though.
Read the book. He gets his medal, but Chewie is sooo tall that our little 150cm tall princess putting medal on him would be quite difficult.

hmmm....
MaaZeus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2004, 10:58 AM   #15
adillon

i have 2 theories ...
  • chewbacca already had his medal put on, and we (the audience) are not privy to witnessing this, and because his fur is so long/thick the medal is hidden from sight
  • chewbacca has very sensitive skin (you would too if it was covered up all the time) and he would have a nasty allergic reaction to the gold

adillon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-29-2004, 03:59 AM   #16
Kurgan
Headhunter

Cool Guy

Other theories:

• He ate it. (old Wookie custom, and he was hungry dangit!)
  • It was against his religion to accept it.
  • He could either direct the ceremony or get the medal. He chose to roar at the troops. What a guy!
  • He donated his medal to the C3PO Restoration Fund, just to show there were no hard feelings about the chess game.

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Old 09-29-2004, 01:12 PM   #17
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Kurgan spelled Wookiee wrong!
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-29-2004, 03:40 PM   #18
Kurgan
Headhunter

Thumbs up

Actually, that was the special edition of my post. I "always intended" for it to be spelled that way.

It's a creative decision.

Old 09-29-2004, 07:54 PM   #19
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
LOL.

Kurgan: 2
The rest of you haters: Nuthin'

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-29-2004, 08:20 PM   #20
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue Nine
LOL.

Kurgan: 2
The rest of you haters: Nuthin'
what about the rest of us non-haters?

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Original Trilogy > Rebel Alliance racist?