lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Rebel Pilot vs AT-AT??
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-21-2004, 03:28 PM   #1
RepublicBlaster
Rookie

Rebel Pilot vs AT-AT??

I've heard rumors and have even seen it in the trailer. During the battle of Hoth, can the Rebel Pilot run under and grapple the belly of an AT-AT and climb up it to take it out or take it over? If so, how?

Thanks for having a look, I'm really interested in seeing if this is possible.

----------------------
Time to DIE!!!
RepublicBlaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2004, 08:13 PM   #2
RepublicBlaster
Rookie

So is anyone able to confirm this?

----------------------
Time to DIE!!!
Old 09-21-2004, 09:15 PM   #3
HaVoK-G2

I have not been able to get close enough yet :P Maybe ill try it on lan, but I dont see what button you would press yet, if it even exists.. Going to try use, right click (but thats repair for pilots) etc..

*edit* I dont think you can ;x

Last edited by HaVoK-G2; 09-21-2004 at 09:27 PM.
HaVoK-G2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2004, 09:23 PM   #4
Bum Hunter
Lurker

I'm most likely thinking that you cannot do this. I haven't tried, but i have a guess that it won't work.
Bum Hunter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2004, 02:23 AM   #5
mwolfe
Lurker

heard rumors but so far there is nothing in the pilot inventory to support this rumor..
tried many different things, and even different charactures but nothing worked.
mwolfe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2004, 03:15 AM   #6
Alegis
In hiding

LFN Staff Member 
I'm afraid this is not possible. You'll need to use your towcables

-"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."
Alegis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2004, 12:21 PM   #7
RepublicBlaster
Rookie

Thanks for getting back and testing this out everyone. After many atempts myself...I agree it is not possible. Hope I didn't get to many excited, I just wanted to clear this up.

I haev however discovered how exciting and fun it is to be a pilot regardless of which side you're on (I like Imp and CIS pilots best, please forgive me rebs), but the rebel and republic pilots are fun also.

Only thing I hate is people don't take advatage of there classes. When I'm a pilot I like to stick with good players and destroy the enemies health and ammo droids while supplying my guys with health/ammo from my packs...then once we cap the spawn repair the droids we destroyed. Also, more people need to repair and use G to switch secondary weapons/abilities. Its fun to destroy things at the enemies spawn then rebuild once you take over (Mounted guns, etc). All classes have these little perks but I rarely see people use them.

----------------------
Time to DIE!!!
Old 09-22-2004, 12:27 PM   #8
Scavenger
Rookie

The point of the whole hoth battle, that the rebels have a hard task at hand, to stop those atats coming in, rebels were getting f***** up, but they did get a few down, i dont mind a challenge , so i also dont mind if its towcable only, BUT the grapple hook would be a nice addition, but the atats would be too easily down, imagine a few pilots storming the 2 atats from the sides, those atats wouldnt stand a chance against them, only if they are continuesly guarded by atst's...
Scavenger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 06:14 AM   #9
Gulu
Lurker

Scavanger, I take it you talking about grapple hooks to take down the AT-AT.

I know that you can trip the AT-AT and see it crash. As in the movie.
Gulu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 06:20 AM   #10
singard
Rookie

I have to disagree here -- I think the Rebels have an insane advantage on Hoth. Two snowspeeders with competent pilots/gunners can easily down the Imperial AT-AT's before they become anything close to a threat. There's really no imperial weapons capable of countering the snowspeeders -- except for a crafty imperial pilot to snatch a snowspeeder and shoot the rebels down.
singard is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 12:27 PM   #11
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

If the Rebels use teamwork and fight decently they absolutely have a fair opportunity to win. Get two players in each Snowspeeder, troops on turrets and Pilots fixing the turrets, Vanguards destroying the AT-ST's, and snipers picking off incoming troops, and it's almost a guarenteed win.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 05:28 PM   #12
THE BADGER:

Me and a buddy win Hoth everytime with one snowspeeder. And your right the Empire has no vehicle to counter the snowspeeder.
THE BADGER: is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 05:31 PM   #13
Iceman_IX

I'm always imperial missile trooper. I can usually take down a Snowspeeder with a little assistance, even though the tracking of the missiles is garbage. Hard though. AT-ATs annihilate all the infantry, the Imp troops take the CPs, and the lack of much of an anti-infantry vehicle for the Rebels usually ensures victory. Usually my experiences

XFire id: icemanix
NF7 | MBarton 2500 200x12.5 @1.875v
OCZ3200EL 2x256+512 @11-3-3-2
eVGA 6800GT | SB Live 5.1
Antec 430 | SLK-900 @53C load
Iiyama E431S | XDreamerII @30C
3dMark05: 4111
nForcersHQ
Iceman_IX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 05:35 PM   #14
FishStix
Rookie

yeah, Hoth is pretty fun and the snowspeeders are nice, first time i ever used the snowspeeder with my friend when we were on ventrilo i was the cable guy and we took down 4 AT-AT's with one snowspeeder which was pretty fun, but the next time we only only got one, seemed like me friend lost his touch over night them gained it back at the end of the map

Battle Front Marine Corps
FishStix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 05:50 PM   #15
H0WARD
Rookie

well, since Rebel Pilots don't run around with sabers, there would be know way for them to blow it up... so it wouldn't make sense.
H0WARD is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 06:10 PM   #16
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

When piloting an AT-AT I actually managed to shoot down at least three Snowspeeders. A direct hit with the main cannons blows a Snowspeeder to pieces. Two of these Snowspeeders were half-way through their rounds with the tow cable too.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:27 PM   #17
vmontice
Rookie

I agree the Imperial Tie Fighter/Bomber handles nice. Sometime I trade my x/y wing for an tie fighter on the battlefield
vmontice is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 06:37 PM   #18
Wolfsflame
Lurker

The only way most ppl die using a snow speeder is lag
lag is a snow speeders greatest enemy.......
Wolfsflame is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 09:09 PM   #19
Orichifunk
Rookie

I always see people win with the Rebels on Hoth. People take down the AT-ATs quite easily, and imo it's not even averagly hard. Just have a good gunner and drive fast and precise and you got yourself an AT-AT in the ground.

~ Orichifunk
Orichifunk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2004, 11:27 PM   #20
Isaiah
Lurker

I've managed to win the Hoth battle as the rebels in single player in under 3 minutes once.

Started as a pilot and jumped straight into a snow speeder (AI on cable). Went straight off to pull down two AT-ATs (another speeder had the same idea). By the time I'd done that I found that we'd already captured the other empire command post so we won 20 seconds later! (AT-ATs are mobile command posts remember so you have to have them both out of the game to win this way)

I've also managed to take out a few snowspeeders with the main AT-AT guns but it's really hard and not very reliable. I'd definatly rather be holding a missile launcher for that task. Preferably behind the AT-AT ;-)
Isaiah is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2004, 12:18 AM   #21
Lord Jerec
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfsflame
The only way most ppl die using a snow speeder is lag
lag is a snow speeders greatest enemy.......
Perhaps if people used their brains and set the game at the appropriate connection levels then this wouldn't happen!

Leader of The Bearded Alliance (TBA) and soon-to-be ruler of the Galaxy!

WWW.THEBEARDEDALLIANCE.TK
Lord Jerec is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2004, 05:53 AM   #22
Wolfsflame
Lurker

well sadly most servers have lag .....
has any1 tried roping an atst with a snow speeder?
Wolfsflame is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2004, 06:00 AM   #23
OAPMisticDan
Lurker

I have some tips to protect your AT-AT, apart from the obvious cover fire from AT-ST/Ground troops.

If you move as close to the mountain sides as possible, this makes flying round the legs hazardous. You can also walk both the AT-ATs in formation, with one slightly ahead of the other so that the snowspeeders collide with the other AT-ATs legs, of course this lessens the tactical benefits of 2 independant moving CPs, but can be effective in reducing (if not eliminating) AT-AT losses.
OAPMisticDan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2004, 06:10 AM   #24
Lord Jerec
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfsflame
well sadly most servers have lag .....

You must be looking in the wrong place my friend.

All the ones I host and my buddies, all ok, who knows whats going on.

I guess its about getting the right balance of Bots too.

Leader of The Bearded Alliance (TBA) and soon-to-be ruler of the Galaxy!

WWW.THEBEARDEDALLIANCE.TK
Lord Jerec is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2004, 06:18 AM   #25
NCIceman
Rookie

What is the pilot fusion cutter for? Damaging enemy vehicles close range? Jacking them?
NCIceman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2004, 06:24 AM   #26
OAPMisticDan
Lurker

Fixing things only i'm afraid.
OAPMisticDan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2004, 06:25 AM   #27
OldIronsides
Banned

AT AT tactics

Nice post about putting the AT AT's in formation, and staying near the mountains, I never thought of that.

Well, I tell you Rebels HAD an insane advantage on Hoth...UNTIL......drum roll please......I figured out the True Power of the Dark Side: Missile Kit. Now it's hard to impossibly to shoot down a snowspeeder as they move as fast as the missile. BUT...they can't harpoon and circle around the AT AT at that speed...so that is when you get them....they have to go pretty slow once connected, and you can get two missiles in them while they have cables attached.

The only problem I'm having is people don't seem to have figured out the missile troops need to stay fairly near the AT AT's to support it. You are there strictly as air duty. Don't go running off rambo style...more snowspeeders will appear. So, I usually alone on the whole map, the only one using the missiles against 3 snowspeeders..which are too many for any guy to handle. Ammo is a problem, so we also need pilots giving out ammo...and reparing the ammo droids. People are so dumb sometimes, I have to do it all. I have to spawn as pilot to fix the ammo droid, since no one else will..I guess helping your team win isn't sexy, and then come back as missile guy. Usually we've lost an AT AT by the time it takes me to do this. ..duh..

Stealing a snowspeeder will obviously work....or just taking their base..but you can't do that for awhile due to the time it takes to get there.

The Rebels can counter this...(if the empire pubs actually read this and get their heads out of their a$$%#). They could work together to have one speeder doing nothing but shooting at missile foot troops..that clears the way for the other speeders to work on the AT AT's. But until the empire dummies figure out we need a lot more missile kit guys supported with pilots for ammo..yeah..the rebels are gonna win.

Now that being said, I've gotton good enough with the missile, I can usually protect ONE of the At AT's..which is about all you need to survive to win....not cause of it's power, but because of it's use as a mobile spawn!

Love the map with a passion ..hella fun....Love the game...let's just get a browser, server admin controls, and SPECTATOR MODE....I cant' shoutcast this game and promote it without SPECTATOR MODE!..arrggh...frickin consoles have done this to us!
OIS
OldIronsides is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2004, 06:20 PM   #28
NCIceman
Rookie

crew

Take the rocket guy, crew the 2nd gun on the AT-AT until the snowspeeder makes his cable run, then pop out and start missiling him. That way you are safe from snipers or getting stomped on by your own walker, and you might help shoot it down while its flying in.

As for the other Hoth temple map, I think a speeder for the rebels is really what that map is missing. Either that or take away the imperial skimmers also, they don't need both sets of vehicles.
NCIceman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2004, 06:23 PM   #29
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

All Imperials have are AT-ST's and AT-AT's. There are no speeders or tanks. Remember the Rebels have Tauntauns, which are very fast.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:43 PM   #30
JawaJoey
Forumite

What bothers me about the AT-ATs is that when you're driving and a teammate gets smushed, you get a teamkill. You can't even see them! It's also annoying to accidentally run under that AT-AT foot, only for the game to blame the pilot. But what's most annoying, is if you're in the snowspeeder, and you crash into an AT-AT, the pilot gets a kill. What? That's just stupid.

God is a placebo with nasty side effects.
JawaJoey is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2004, 10:51 PM   #31
Godlike222
Lurker

I have not confirmed this, but some one said it works. If you are piloting an ATAT and a snowspeeder hooks you with its cable and wraps you then if you stop moving, then your AT AT will not die. Movement is what causes the legs to get tangled and the vehicle falls. You can stop moving and just shoot. My friend said he did this after the speeder wrapped him and he just stayed still on the map getting frag after frag.. Has anyone else tried this????

Godlike

"Winning isnt everything, but losing is NOTHING!!!!"
Godlike222 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-29-2004, 01:05 PM   #32
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Originally posted by Godlike222
I have not confirmed this, but some one said it works. If you are piloting an ATAT and a snowspeeder hooks you with its cable and wraps you then if you stop moving, then your AT AT will not die. Movement is what causes the legs to get tangled and the vehicle falls. You can stop moving and just shoot. My friend said he did this after the speeder wrapped him and he just stayed still on the map getting frag after frag.. Has anyone else tried this????
That "someone" is incorrect. The AT-AT is destroyed and goes down as soon as the tow cable rounds are complete. It does not matter if you're moving or not, or even if there's anyone in the AT-AT.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:05 PM   #33
insanellama
Rookie

idk about in the game but like what godlike said if it was real and the at-at stopped moving it wouldn't blow up...i mean the tow cables dont blow it up or anything, they just make it trip. And if its not walking how can it trip?

STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT WILL OWN ALL!!

Shadow Army of the Galactic Empire Join today! PC, XBOX, AND PS2!
insanellama is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2004, 03:09 AM   #34
Shadey

I found an easy tactic to take out at-at's when playing single player.

Used to have make several passes (because the bots suck with tow cables) till I discovered you could switch seats with bots on the fly.

Fly towards an at-at once your just past switch seats with a quick roll of the mouse wheel, take the shot, should only take one maybe two shots then switch back to pilot and do the usual, fly low at the front to avoid the head mounted weapons.

Don't know how well it would work with good players on foot guarding the at-at's. Should be fine as long as your own troops and the other speeders cover you.

Aliens sh** me - Emperor Palpatine (attributed)
Shadey is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2004, 03:11 AM   #35
italegion
Rookie

i think teamspeak is going to be useful for pilots to take down the dinosaur

[size=1]Apology accepted, Captain Needa...
www.italegion.altervista.org
italegion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2004, 10:48 AM   #36
Devil.Pryde
Lurker

Angry

ok you can pilot the AT-AT in instant action as a empier troop but u can not pilot them as a reble or can u take them over buy grappling the under carriage. You cant even do that lol.
Devil.Pryde is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2004, 12:33 PM   #37
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Originally posted by Devil.Pryde
ok you can pilot the AT-AT in instant action as a empier troop but u can not pilot them as a reble or can u take them over buy grappling the under carriage. You cant even do that lol.
Because the AT-AT is a mobile Command Post for the Imperials, Rebels cannot steal it.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > SWBattlefront.net (SWBF I & II) > Star Wars Battlefront > General Discussion > Rebel Pilot vs AT-AT??