lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Need more "open terrain" maps
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-2004, 09:28 AM   #1
grep
Rookie

Need more "open terrain" maps

After having to play SWBF since the day of its release, I have had the opportunity to play all of the maps over and over again. I have come to the conclusion that I am in favor of certain maps simply because they produce much more teamwork than others, sometimes even on public servers. Now forgive me if I dont quite remember the names of the maps, but many of the "close-quarter" maps just turns out to be one big Team Deathmatch, which in my opinion, is basically like every other game out there.. (Quake, UT, etc. )

Being a long time BF42 and BFV fan, I've always been impressed with the larger scaled maps, so my statement above doesn't surprise me one bit. This BF series of games pretty much mastered these types of map layouts, thus becoming one of the most popular games to date. Moving onto SWBF, there are a few maps that contain more action and fun because simply because of the larger size...a good example is Hoth. Wide-open terrain make for better movement of vehicles, it actually takes time to get to an ensuing battle or even defend cap point when under attack, just overall appealing when it comes to full-scaled battles. Believe me, if you travel in packs and work as a team, the rebels can be victorious on this map. I have been in games where I've seen it happen.

Some of the maps where the theme is based on a space station or the sort, are pretty much the same as the smaller maps.. its simply just a frag-fest and to see who can beat who in score, no matter what team you are on. But perhaps thats what the initiative and the design was for... there is something for everyone, I suppose. I just tend to avoid these though as I am more of a team player than worried about racking up scores or being at the top of the scoreboard.

The smaller maps really just turn into a chaotic mess with lazers and people just running around with no purpose. Sure the object is to capture the cap points, but take a look at people's scores at the end of the game and look at the CP score.. you'll notice that not too many people even attempt to go for the cap points, they just want the frags.

I'm really hoping that if level designers obtain a map editor for this game, we will see more "BF42-like" maps. In my opinion, the battles are more intense and have more meaning to capture command posts instead of running around aimlessly just shooting at everything that moves.

Up the Irons!
grep is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > SWBattlefront.net (SWBF I & II) > Star Wars Battlefront > Bug Reports/Requests/Game Feedback > Need more "open terrain" maps