lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Anywhere to play?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-21-2004, 12:02 PM   #1
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Vector Thrust
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Anywhere to play?

I'm still on the fence on whether to pick this game up right now, but...

Is there anywhere to play right now? Are there servers with lots of players blasting away? Or is it pretty barren (to be expected)? Is everyone just playing singleplayer or setting up dedicated servers?

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2004, 12:04 PM   #2
Alegis
In hiding

LFN Staff Member 
Someone told me there were quite a few servers already for pc (over 50)

-"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."
Alegis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2004, 12:15 PM   #3
JediCrow
Rookie

My brother said there are quite a few ppl playing on Xbox already too.
JediCrow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2004, 12:19 PM   #4
[RNGD]Tyrant
Rookie

the number of servers may not be that great if they dont figure out the adminnning

Right now a number of clans like mine are running large highbandwidth servers in the hopes that they will release server controls to us. Right now they are essentially uncontrollable, hell I can even get voted out of my own server!

if this isnt worked out soon, you will see all the highbandwidth servers dissapear until server controls are released. That would leave you only 'homemade' servers which cant handle more than 4-6 players at a time.
[RNGD]Tyrant is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2004, 12:22 PM   #5
JediCrow
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by [RNGD]Tyrant
the number of servers may not be that great if they dont figure out the adminnning

Right now a number of clans like mine are running large highbandwidth servers in the hopes that they will release server controls to us. Right now they are essentially uncontrollable, hell I can even get voted out of my own server!

if this isnt worked out soon, you will see all the highbandwidth servers dissapear until server controls are released. That would leave you only 'homemade' servers which cant handle more than 4-6 players at a time.
I think saying that you will see ALL HIGH BANDWIDTH SERVERS dissapear is a bit of an overstatement.
JediCrow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2004, 02:12 PM   #6
[RNGD]Tyrant
Rookie

not really.

Why would anyone pay $100/month or more in bandwidth costs for a game they have zero control over...hell you cant even get into your own server if its full, and you can be voted out

Perhaps Lucas Arts or Gamespy might put some up, but with other games the developer gives out tools so admins can be admins and not just charities.
[RNGD]Tyrant is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2004, 02:39 PM   #7
SITH_ShadowCat

Quote:
Originally posted by [RNGD]Tyrant
not really.

Why would anyone pay $100/month or more in bandwidth costs for a game they have zero control over...hell you cant even get into your own server if its full, and you can be voted out

Perhaps Lucas Arts or Gamespy might put some up, but with other games the developer gives out tools so admins can be admins and not just charities.
If Pandemic released didicated servers, more fixes will be on the way. By realsesing the servers, they have basicly shown that they now what to support this game after release. Have some patiece this game just came out today and you already want everything to be right as rain. Look how many patches Battlefield has gone through. No need to rant until your face falls off.

On another note, how is the lag? Is the game running smooth? I heard people already playing in 50 people servers.

"These blast marks, too accurate for a controller. Only a mouse and keyboard are so precise"
SITH_ShadowCat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2004, 12:32 PM   #8
Pho3nix
#rekt

10 year veteran! 
yes, There are LOTS of servers nowadays

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2004, 02:42 PM   #9
vcdstroyr
Rookie

I played in one server...forgot the name...There were about 10 players and I was getting a ping of about 150 on dial up...pretty good if you ask me...

Fear...Fear attracts the fearful.
vcdstroyr is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2004, 08:46 AM   #10
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Vector Thrust
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally posted by Pho3nix
yes, There are LOTS of servers nowadays
What would be the ballpark figure?

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2004, 08:56 AM   #11
Pho3nix
#rekt

10 year veteran! 
w00t do ya mean?

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2004, 09:00 AM   #12
chrishaolin
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Prime
there are at least 7-8 servers that i can find some pretty good comp on and are always full.. but there are plenty more

feeling froggish? leap..
chrishaolin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2004, 09:12 AM   #13
Jet Black
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Prime
According to All Seeing Eye, right now (10:00am CST) there are 88 Servers worldwide, with 232 players online with 2473 total slots.

Of course this number fluctuates throughout the day. Last night when I played I think there were almost 130-150 servers and 300-500 players. Still not the numbers that you get with games like Battlefield: 1942 with thousands of servers and tens of thousands of players, but according to Gamespy SW:Battlefront is in the 20 most popular games being played now.
Jet Black is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2004, 01:46 PM   #14
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
If they would release a Linux version for dedicated server, I'm sure there'd be more servers. And Wacky says once it comes out, he'd put one up for EB

Pho3nix, you have a bad habit of posting uninformative 1 liners. It'd be much more helpful to write more than 1 sentence, and be more informative.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > SWBattlefront.net (SWBF I & II) > Star Wars Battlefront > General Discussion > Anywhere to play?