lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Yoda CG/Puppet Episode I to II
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-22-2004, 07:49 AM   #1
Jet Black
Rookie

Yoda CG/Puppet Episode I to II

I hadn't watched Episode I in years, but since I purchased the OT on DVD and watched all of those, and then watched AoTC, I felt I should finish things off and *finally* watch TPM again.

It wasn't as bad as I had remembered - but that's beside the point.

I noticed that in Episode I Yoda looked terrible compared to Yoda in Episode II. Was one a Puppet and one CG, or did they update the CG from one movie to the other?
Jet Black is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2004, 07:57 AM   #2
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
they were doing a transition from puppet yoda to CG yoda, in ep 1 for the most part he was a puppet, but they did some cgi yoda in there too.

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2004, 08:11 AM   #3
coupes.
★★★★★

10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
The thing is they wanted him to look younger than he did in the OT, but everyone seemed to think he looked terrible, so did I. They did make a couple of scenes with a CG yoda as insanesith mentionned, but they didn't really need to make him all CG.

In AotC however, they didn't really have a choice. You know, Frank Oz is getting old, and it would have been too hard on his back to have him do the duel with Dooku
coupes. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2004, 08:18 AM   #4
Jet Black
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by coupes.
The thing is they wanted him to look younger than he did in the OT, but everyone seemed to think he looked terrible, so did I. They did make a couple of scenes with a CG yoda as insanesith mentionned, but they didn't really need to make him all CG.

In AotC however, they didn't really have a choice. You know, Frank Oz is getting old, and it would have been too hard on his back to have him do the duel with Dooku
Lol
Jet Black is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2004, 10:00 AM   #5
Hannibal

Current Game: Black Ops/Biosock
LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by coupes.
I would love to see that. A fight scene with the Yoda puppet.
A warning would have to run across the screen
"Just ignore the old guy with the glasses."

Hannibal is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-25-2004, 09:08 AM   #6
Lieutenant_kettch
Forumite

they could have done puppet yoda against dooku without shoeing Oz, simply duct tape a saber to yoda's paw and throw him across the screen, etc...

For more verification, watch the rubber chicken fly around in a Fidel Film

Yub Yub, Commander
Lieutenant_kettch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2004, 05:56 AM   #7
RebelScum!
Forumite

Quote:
Originally posted by Hannibal
I would love to see that. A fight scene with the Yoda puppet.
A warning would have to run across the screen
"Just ignore the old guy with the glasses."
LOL!

Join the BBF

SWbattlefront name:RebelScum!
Check out my Site
RebelScum! is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2004, 09:16 AM   #8
Nairb Notneb
Forumite

I'll bet the Yoda fight scene didn't even get put in until they knew they could do a CGI Yoda, in quality that is.

Go big or go home.
Nairb Notneb is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2004, 11:56 AM   #9
sith_master2000

What they should have done is have puppet Yoda through the whole film except for the Dooku Fight, then they could have used CG Yoda. I personally like puppet Yoda rather than CG because old Frank does such a great job with him, altough I would like to see Oz get lazy and when Yoda has to go up some stairs he just hovers!

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion I gain strength,
Through strength I gain power,
Through power I gain victory,
Through victory my chains are broken,
The force shall free me...
sith_master2000 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2004, 12:25 PM   #10
Nairb Notneb
Forumite

The two have different qualities to them. At times the CG Yoda looks a bit cartoony, and at times the puppet looks real stiff with rubbery ears. But, I know allot of people like that in real life.

Go big or go home.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:12 PM   #11
adillon

Quote:
Originally posted by Nairb Notneb
At times the CG Yoda looks a bit cartoony, and at times the puppet looks real stiff with rubbery ears.
i read somewhere they felt it was important for the CG yoda to still have that 'rubbery ear' appearance, or else he would feel completely different. CG gives GL more freedom with yoda and how he interacts with the world around him ... in the OT yoda was much older (obviously ... when 900 years your reach, blah blah blah), so his limited movement technologically (i.e. a puppet) only helped to reinforce the limitations due to old age.
adillon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-06-2004, 10:18 AM   #12
Nairb Notneb
Forumite

Quote:
Originally posted by adillon
i read somewhere they felt it was important for the CG yoda to still have that 'rubbery ear' appearance, or else he would feel completely different. CG gives GL more freedom with yoda and how he interacts with the world around him ... in the OT yoda was much older (obviously ... when 900 years your reach, blah blah blah), so his limited movement technologically (i.e. a puppet) only helped to reinforce the limitations due to old age.
I would tend to agree. Evidently when a member of Yoda's species is 800 +/- years old they are still quite active and nimble. But when they reach 900 they begin to loose a step or too.

Go big or go home.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:12 AM   #13
Shok_Tinoktin
Ray's Gun Nut

Location: The good end of Ray's Gun, or the bad end of an AA gun
My theory is, it's more that life on Dagobah wears a body down more than life on Coruscant.
Shok_Tinoktin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-07-2004, 04:27 PM   #14
Nairb Notneb
Forumite

It could have been the weight of the darkside, or his dread of having failed the entire Republic and the Jedi order of having been defeated by the Sith. Had Yoda gone with his first instinct and not allowed Anakin to be trained in the Force, things might have been different. Maybe not because Palpatine really came to power without the aid of Anakin. He was actually only defeated because of Anakin his offspring. So, had things gone any differently then Palpatine would have stayed in power and the Jedi would have forever been extinct.

Go big or go home.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:08 PM   #15
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
TPM : Puppet Yoda except for the one quick scene of him pacing around the room in the far shot with Obi-Wan at the end.

AOTC : CGI Yoda throughout.

Neither Prequel Yoda looks to me like the original puppet from ESB/ROTJ. From the look of the ROTS Teaser Trailer, it appears they're using the AOTC one again.

The Puppet yoda in TPM looks good, but his face looks very different than in the OT. The AOTC Yoda looks much older and more wizened, and a bit closer to Yoda in ROTJ. However his head just seems a bit too big and round, and his facial features are proportioned differently.

I assume the old puppet they used was simply too dilapidated after all those years to use again (see the problem with Jabba the Hutt). They could have done a better job of getting it closer, but oh well.

The differences can't simply be chalked up to age, since the guy is only aging 10 years between Episodes 1 & 2 and then another 24 (?) years from ROTS to ESB.

Maybe he had a series of botched cosmetic surgeries, like Michael Jackson? Poor lil' muppet...

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-11-2004, 04:13 PM   #16
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally posted by Lieutenant_kettch
they could have done puppet yoda against dooku without shoeing Oz, simply duct tape a saber to yoda's paw and throw him across the screen, etc...

For more verification, watch the rubber chicken fly around in a Fidel Film
This would be hilariously awesome to see! Some fan filmmaker needs to take up this idea of George doesn't in some gag reel or something. ; )

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Prequel Trilogy > Yoda CG/Puppet Episode I to II