lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: So, which format are you getting Psychonauts for?
The massive Xbox. 11 34.38%
The mighty PC. 15 46.88%
The.. PS2. 4 12.50%
I'm getting it for multiple formats. 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: So, which format are you getting Psychonauts for?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-16-2005, 11:09 AM   #1
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
So, which format are you getting Psychonauts for?

It might be interesting to find out what format everyone's getting the game for. Whilst traditionally I almost exclusively get the PC version if there's one available, Psychonauts is looking very likely to be an exception for me.

Whilst I'll probably up getting both anyway for screenshotting and footage, I reckon that the Xbox will be my format of choice. Unless the PC version benefits from some serious graphical upgrades, which is unlikely, the Xbox is a winner on all fronts for me.

- It's a platform game, and thus will be more suited to a gamepad. PC gamepads have a habit of sucking, or simply not being present with most people's machines.

- There's no chance of it not running Perfectly. Psychonauts has been designed with the Xbox in mind from the very beginning, and is almost certainly going to be fine-tuned to smooth perfection.

- Graphically, the Xbox is capable of awesome stuff. It'll probably look as good as the PC version, if not better (a lot of console games somehow translate to looking worse on a PC, even if there have been no actual cutbacks -- maybe it's a resolution and texture stretching issue).

- I need an excuse to buy an Xbox, other than Rareware's upcoming Kameo and Conker's Bad Fur Day.

So, what are you lot getting? I guess it might be nice if you back up your choice with a post, for the sake of discussion and all that. ;

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-16-2005, 11:33 AM   #2
MrManager
;-*

LFN Staff Member 
Xbox. One of my reasons for getting the console when it was released was the (at the time) unannounced Tim Schafer game. Now I'm sure as hell going to get the game for the platform I bought to play the game on in the first place. (If you follow )

Read The Mojo!
MrManager is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-16-2005, 12:35 PM   #3
Metallus
Episodic!

Old News! LFN Staff Member Notable contributor Forum Veteran 
I got my Xbox for Psychonauts, so I guess I'll get Psychonauts for Xbox.

Guy.
Metallus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-16-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
Huz
Coconut in the lime

10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
Hmm, good to see that the Xbox is currently the clear leader! I wonder when the "PC or DEATH!" brigade will turn up. :~

Definitely the Xbox for me. Being able to lie down and soak up the atmosphere blasting out of my TV in comfort far outweighs all the 'advantages' of a PC version, like fiddly controls, installation woes and having to sit at a desk to play the thing.

"I once ate a teabag" - Thrik
The Huz Experience
Huz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-16-2005, 01:13 PM   #5
Metallus
Episodic!

How decidedly un-Huz. ¬

Guy.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:35 PM   #6
jp-30

The International House of Mojo Staff 
I will be enjoying Psychonauts by sitting 2 ft away from my 20" monitor, gamepad in hand (though I will try it using std FPS mouse / WASD combos first) with the display cranked up to a TV-screen-shaming 1280x960 pixels.

PC or (etc).
jp-30 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-16-2005, 02:38 PM   #7
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Tee, that's another really obvious one. Being able to just lie back on the nice, soft, chair in the living room with Psychonauts blasting out on a 21" screen and twometre high speakers far outweights the experience of being sat in front of a crappy 17" monitor with headphones on.

Man, I can't wait. It'll be like Christmas all over again. Except in April. And without the festivities.

Old 02-16-2005, 02:46 PM   #8
Jake
INSANE

Current Game: Tales of MI
Old News! LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrik
Man, I can't wait. It'll be like Christmas all over again. Except in April. And without the festivities.
And with Psychonauts.
Jake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-16-2005, 03:53 PM   #9
bgbennyboy
Festively Plump

LFN Staff Member 
I'm going to have to get it for pc and then coax my crappy machine into running it. Although I am tempted to just get an xbox.

bgbennyboy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-17-2005, 10:00 AM   #10
elTee
beatnik

The International House of Mojo Staff LFN Staff Member 
I want to play it, I really do.. I just can't see myself buying a new console, and certainly not a new PC. Oh well.

I really want to play Dreamfall though, and as that's coming out on X-Box too, I'll probably buy one when the money from my job starts rolling in. I just had other plans for the money.. so I probably won't get Psychonauts until a few weeks or even months after release.

Yeah, you heard me

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
elTee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2005, 12:46 AM   #11
Jake
INSANE

The fact that you can get a refurbished Xbox (or used one) for something like $100 should be more than enough reason for people who are able to afford PC's and software for them to own their own Xboxes. And play Psychonauts on them.
spoiler:
and possibly mod them and use them to watch downloaded TV shows and MAME roms
Old 02-18-2005, 02:41 AM   #12
Bobo Donkey™
Rookie

X-Box? Not for me thanks. I'm gonna have to go with the PS2 version.
Bobo Donkey™ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2005, 11:57 AM   #13
Udvarnoky
Short for "Jason"

I was planning on getting an XBOX soley for this game before the PC port was announced. Just gotta get a used XBOX controller plus adapter now.
Udvarnoky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2005, 01:58 PM   #14
TyraaRane

Well, I was going to just scrounge up a used XBox originally...but then my PC started threatening to kick the bucket, and I sort of need a PC around to play Grim and the like, so now I'm using Psychonauts as an excuse to buy a new PC. Whooo.
TyraaRane is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2005, 03:25 PM   #15
JBRAA
Likes Mojo ;)

Im getting it for xox, gba, soney ds, nitneydo gamecuve, and wares pc

JBRAA is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2005, 07:40 PM   #16
itchythesamurai
Not Ichi the Killer

LFN Staff Member 
X

Xbox here. Ha, I bought it way back when it came out in giddy anticipation of the exclusive to XBOX Sam and Max game. Might as well use the machine for something, and Psychonauts looks like a pretty frickin' sweet something.

itchythesamurai is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2005, 04:42 PM   #17
elTee
beatnik

Okay, I just saw something on the doublefine site that has prompted me to get Psychonauts. The thing is.. will it look worse on the PS2? Will it play worse? Cos although X-Box has the GTA games now, which I want, if I get a PS2 I can also play the MGS games...

help me

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
Old 02-19-2005, 04:57 PM   #18
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Whilst it probably won't look like utter crap, I'd imagine that the textures will be of a lower resolution. You'd be best off just comparing screenshots once the media wave begins.

Old 02-19-2005, 04:58 PM   #19
MrManager
;-*

LFN Staff Member 
While I don't know about Psychonauts, PS2 games usually look a bit worse than the Xbox versions, and also take a bit longer to load (and sometimes have more frequent loading).

Maybe Psychonauts will be the exception though. ;

Read The Mojo!
MrManager is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2005, 05:09 PM   #20
elTee
beatnik

Okay, great. The small, backwards compatible, more-game-playing one is the worse one. Hooray.

LucasTones - LT - elTee
Old 02-20-2005, 05:58 AM   #21
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
Before the PC port was annonced, I was seriously considering spending my non-existant money on an X-Box. Now I don't have to make that choice and be able to appreciate decent graphics. Plus I like the WASD/mouse combo, I'm not a big consoler.

That said, the flat I live in has an Xbox in the living room for everyone to use, but come summer, I'll want to play at home and the Xbox version will have been a waste of money.

I have enough money to buy the game, but not the console, PC all the way for me.

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-20-2005, 02:18 PM   #22
Nath5000
Rookie

It seemed as though the PC and PS2 versions were just something Majesco wanted to do with Psychonauts to make more moolah. Honestly I'll be getting it for my xbox though because thats where the spotlight for psychonauts has been since we all first heard about it. Microsoft is going to regret dropping this title. In the end with the multiplatform thing everyone wins, but I still think xbox will have the upper hand as far as polish, controls and so on.
Nath5000 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-20-2005, 05:14 PM   #23
Udvarnoky
Short for "Jason"

Money driven decision or not, the more platforms Psychonauts is on the better. Besides, it was probably XBOX exclusive for so long because of Microsoft being the publisher.

I agree with you though, that the XBOX version will be the best.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:47 PM   #24
Erwin_Br
Swinging!

LFN Staff Member 
Re: So, which format are you getting Psychonauts for?

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrik
- It's a platform game, and thus will be more suited to a gamepad. PC gamepads have a habit of sucking, or simply not being present with most people's machines.
I thought about buying a gamepad for my PC to play Psychonauts, so I'm interested: What makes them suck? What's the difference between a PC and console gamepad? The PC Logitech rumblepad, for example, looks almost identical to its PS2 version.

--Erwin

Visit Adventure Developers! - Your hub for independent and hobbyist adventure development.
Erwin_Br is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-21-2005, 10:13 PM   #25
Alien426
'll take away your bucket

I own a Thrustmaster Dual Analog Gamepad (or maybe it's another model, there are tons) and while I don't use it a lot, I can't find a fault with it. It feels comfy and you get a tool to re-define / emulate keys.

Alien426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-22-2005, 01:54 AM   #26
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
I'll get, of course, the PC version. Maybe I'll try to run it on winex, too. The widescreen-TV and a surround system will do the rest while my thumbs gonna rape the PSX dualshock pad.

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-22-2005, 06:20 AM   #27
Prosky
Rookie

Moolah is always an issue in business, but the motivation for the multiplatform release is to get Psychonauts to as many people as possible. This is a game like none other, and it should be seen by all. The PS2 has a lot of devoted fans who will not stray, and it's not our place to ask them to, so we made a version for them. As for PC, we all know Tim Schafer's history in this industry, he is Mr. PC. The Xbox was obviously already in production, and again this falls under the same reasoning as PS2 fans. Money is important, but this decision was also approved and encouraged by Doublefine because the more ways we offer it, the more people will play it. So whatever platform you have, all we ask is that you open your minds and enjoy the excellent game Psychonauts!
Prosky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-22-2005, 08:35 AM   #28
Jake
INSANE

I don't know if this is true or not, but when I heard there was a PS2 port the first thing that came to mind was that with the popularity of the Ratchet and Clank, Jak (and Daxter), and Sly Cooper serieses, there is probably large a built in audience of 3D platformer fans on PS2... that might be the case on Xbox as well, but I don't think Microsoft managed to get Blinx or Voodoo Vince or Munch's Odyssee to sell as well as they'd hoped.

Visit: The International House of Mojo - Sam & Max.net - Thumbs - [url=http://www.telltalegames.com]Telltale Games
Old 02-22-2005, 09:58 AM   #29
Nath5000
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Jake
I don't know if this is true or not, but when I heard there was a PS2 port the first thing that came to mind was that with the popularity of the Ratchet and Clank, Jak (and Daxter), and Sly Cooper serieses, there is probably large a built in audience of 3D platformer fans on PS2... that might be the case on Xbox as well, but I don't think Microsoft managed to get Blinx or Voodoo Vince or Munch's Odyssee to sell as well as they'd hoped.
Voodoo vince looked visually promising, but i rented it and was not impressed with the story or characters, i really wanted to love that game though. Blinx i bought back in the day after it got very good reviews for some shifty reason in the official xbox magazine and i tried to love it as well, and artistically it was an awesome game, the gameplay was just frustrating and got old fast, but they STILL decided to make a Blinx 2 which i was sent a microsoft survey long before it was announced and i solidly answered that i wasnt interested in the game, however most other people that took part in that survey mustve been excited for it i guess :-/. As far as munches odyssee goes, i also bought that and tried hard to love it but the style was maybe a little too odd for me and not exactly humorous enough.

Psychonauts has the advantage over all of those games firstly because Tim Schafer makes games with good characters/humor/story. Secondly the intro video to psychonauts has more depth and is more entertaining then any of those other xbox platformers combined. Its really a shame that microsoft lost faith in Psychonauts, probably because they looked at what they thought were "Psychonauts-Like" games like voodoo vince and such. Hopefully Psychonauts does well with the reviews, thats probably the only chance it has to catch onto the community. Good reviews will win this game over i think.
Nath5000 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-22-2005, 11:38 AM   #30
Udvarnoky
Short for "Jason"

Quote:
Originally posted by Prosky
Moolah is always an issue in business, but the motivation for the multiplatform release is to get Psychonauts to as many people as possible. This is a game like none other, and it should be seen by all. The PS2 has a lot of devoted fans who will not stray, and it's not our place to ask them to, so we made a version for them. As for PC, we all know Tim Schafer's history in this industry, he is Mr. PC. The Xbox was obviously already in production, and again this falls under the same reasoning as PS2 fans. Money is important, but this decision was also approved and encouraged by Doublefine because the more ways we offer it, the more people will play it. So whatever platform you have, all we ask is that you open your minds and enjoy the excellent game Psychonauts!
Am I supposed to be hopeful for a GameCube port?
Old 02-22-2005, 01:43 PM   #31
Prosky
Rookie

I don't think a GameCube port is looking to bright. I'm just a tester, so I have no facts as to why, but that's what I here.
Prosky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-22-2005, 01:56 PM   #32
Udvarnoky
Short for "Jason"

I suspected as much. Perhaps the chances will increase several months after the game's release, especially if it's really successful. As has been noted elsewhere, the cube has a significant potential audience for a game like this.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:21 AM   #33
James Isaac

LFN Staff Member 
PC because:

1) I don't have an Xbox
2) I prefer PC because it's just better

James Isaac is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2005, 01:08 PM   #34
Metallus
Episodic!

I want to get the PC demo just to prove to myself that my computer can't run it.

Guy.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:44 AM   #35
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
I have an analogue controller for my PC and to be honest, it works fine. I use it rarely (i.e, on few games, but regularily on the games I use it for) but when I do, it gives me much more control than the mouse and WASD. Not to say that the Mouse and WASD are bad, I can use them fine, I have been for ages and many games these days have that as a default so it's easy to get used to.

Effectively, I'll be buying the PC version.

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2005, 05:52 AM   #36
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
The best analogue controller I know is the Namco NeGcon, initially developed for Wipeout. It adds extra correct freshness to every single racing game existing in this world. Word.

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2005, 05:42 PM   #37
mxbx

Originally I had gotten the Xbox for Psychonauts, but I've since gotten rid of the Xbox. Now I've got a PS2 and I think I'll get Psychonauts for that.
mxbx is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2005, 08:33 AM   #38
Toddas

The Xbox, simply because that's the platform that the game is being developed for, the others are ports (well, not that big of a deal, but anyway).

Also, I've ceased playing games on the PC (except RTS, and point and click...). Just much more comfy and hassle-free playing on consoles. My PC's getting old too...

Got an Xbox and a Gamecube.
Toddas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2005, 02:04 AM   #39
VampireNaomi
was a dog in earlier life

LFN Staff Member 
I'd love to get it for PS2 or Xbox, but sadly I don't own either. So it's PC for me, though I have a suspicion that this piece of junk won't even run the game properly.

"Oho, my sainted aunt, have I become a victim of brain fever, the curse of academia...?" -- Jonathan Crane

Sweet As Mango: Nick/Olivia all the way!
VampireNaomi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Psychonauts Discussion at Razputin's Domain > Razputin's Domain Forums > Whispering Rock Lakeside Chat > So, which format are you getting Psychonauts for?