First things first: Bug Reporting
If your problem even remotely sounds like a bug that doesn't
have a major effect on the game itself, then please post about it in the Padawan's Lounge Forum
If your problem is related to a mod
, it belongs in the appropriate mod release thread in the Taris Upper City Emporium
. If you don't know which mod is causing the problem, post it in Holowan Laboratories.
The kind of bugs that classify as Workbench type bugs will either cause random graphics problems, crash the game and/or your computer, random problems with the controls, etc. Otherwise, use the link provided above to post your problems there. Quite frankly, you'll probably get better help there since that forum is frequented much more often than this one.
Post your system specs
Sometimes we're just not going to be able to help you if we don't know what kind of hardware you have on your machine. If you don't know what you have on your machine, then follow these steps below:
If you get a message that your computer does not meet the required specifications, then don't bother posting unless you know for a fact that the game should run.
- Bring up the launcher menu for Kotor 1 or 2.
- Click on "Configure".
- Click the "Scan Hardware" button on the lower center of the window.
- Click "Yes" to continue.
- Click "Details" to view your system specs.
- Click "Save Report" and save the file to your desktop.
- Whenever you post your problem, open the file you just saved and copy and paste the contents to your post.
I'm sorry, but we can't help you if your computer doesn't meet the requirements.
Basic tests to try yourself before you post
Just follow these simple steps to try to solve the problem yourself:
If you recieve an error message when installing the game:
- 1. Restart your computer. If you start running into problems after a long period of time on the game, then simply restarting your computer will usually fix it. If not, then post.
2. Download the latest video drivers. You would be surprise on how easily this solves most problems with starting up the game. If you can't run the game past the main menu, chances are this is all you need to do. Links for nVidia users here. Links for ATI users can be found here.
3. Lower your graphics settings. Things like Antistropic Filtering and Antialiasing can sometimes have an adverse effect not only on performance, but also in how the game runs. If you have an older card (Geforce 4 or older; Radeon 9200 and below), I recommend that you disable Soft Shadows, Antistropic Filtering, Antialiasing, and Frame Buffer Effects. I also recommend that you run the game at either 800x600 or 1074x728 resolution. If you still have problems, then post.
If you have Vista:
- 1. First, write down the error code that is listed in the message.
2. Go to www.google.com and enter the error code followed by "install error" in the box.
3. In the search results, one of the first hits should be the Installshield website. They should have documentation on not only what the error code means, but also on how to fix it. Just follow their directions on how to fix it, and you should be fine.
Check the sticky called Problems running Kotor or TSL in Vista
If you have an Intel Graphics Controller
Lastly, but not least:
- Check the first post in this thread to make the game work properly.
- Check out this handy Tweak Guide for some detailed information on exactly what you can do to both get the game going and to make it run the best it possibly can on your computer. Special thanks to Jae Onasi for the link.
If you have any questions or comments, then post them below.