lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Old skool!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-23-2005, 02:54 PM   #41
Fender
See Me, Feel Me...

Quote:
Originally posted by Joshi
All english lit does is over analyse books that may or may not be good (you never really find out after the analysis, in the end they're all the same) and over analyse poetry (by using the word fish here, which is from the sea, which is filled with water which contains hydrogen, we can see that the poet was really talking about her fear of war).
That's actually the part of English I enjoy. So I'm not really losing out to by taking it next year am I?

Listening to you, I get the music
Gazing at You, I get the heat
Following you, I climb the mountain
I get excitement at your feet

Right behind you, I see the millions
On you, I see the glory
From you, I get opinions
From you, I get the story

[From the Who's album, TOMMY]
Fender is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2005, 03:50 PM   #42
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
Well, my main point in that fish thing that I said was that normally, english lit teachers over analyse so much that they get to a conclusion that was never on the mind of the author at all, not even subconciously (if that last word was correctly spelt then I'll be damned).

They do the same thing with little words in books as well.

That said, I've recently been reading a lot of essays on the internet by a person who actually has a degree in this stuff and I can see it does come in handy if you know what you're doing. This person has written essays on topics that have been covered thousands of times before by other people who don't have her degree and she manages to do it a hell of a lot better (it's actually analysis of books, which I guess makes me a hyppocrit). I guess I just had a bad experiance with it.

On the other hand, I would never in a million years tell anyone to ever do maths beyond what's forced upon you in school. That's just crazy, I don't need a bunch of dead mathematicians telling me that infinity and zero have nothing to do with each other. **coughraycough**

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2005, 04:05 AM   #43
DrMcCoy

Current Game: nethack
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
subconciously (if that last word was correctly spelt then I'll be damned).
...Well, then it's good for you that you missed an 's', it's "subconsciously"...

Quote:
[...], I don't need a bunch of dead mathematicians telling me that infinity and zero have nothing to do with each other. **coughraycough**
...Well, it's not like they don't have anything at all to do with each other, for example
lim(x->infinity, e^x - e^x) = 0

if(!strcmp(nick, "DrMcCoy") && !strcmp(avatar, "Spock")) return E_INSANE;
DrMcCoy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2005, 08:41 AM   #44
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
I was going more along the lines of x=variable (e.g, anything) then x/0 = infinity (and likewise x/infinity must therefore = 0, but Ray never liked any of that for some reason).

Of course this discussion has nothing to do with maths so we won't go into that.

And to me, subconsciously was always a word I could never spell without looking it up, and to me, my way looked right, which was why I said that. Now I see the error of my ways.

Old 03-24-2005, 08:46 AM   #45
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
I would never in a million years tell anyone to ever do maths beyond what's forced upon you in school. That's just crazy, I don't need a bunch of dead mathematicians telling me that infinity and zero have nothing to do with each other. **coughraycough**
That's just wrong. I never said something like that-- i said-- something else. Yap. I did. Also, math is the way it goes, babey! I encourage everyone to do even more maths then it's "being forced" upon you..! Yaamaan. DO IT.

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2005, 09:01 AM   #46
DrMcCoy

Current Game: nethack
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Of course this discussion has nothing to do with maths so we won't go into that.
...Awww, but I like math... In fact, I'll write a 300 minutes test in math on the 3rd of May for the Abitur...

...And as far as I know, x/0 isn't infinity, it's simply not possible, however lim(y->0, x/y) = inifinity (and likewise lim(y->infinity, x/y) = 0)

if(!strcmp(nick, "DrMcCoy") && !strcmp(avatar, "Spock")) return E_INSANE;
DrMcCoy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2005, 09:07 AM   #47
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Oh don't you start, that's the exact crap Ray came out with before.
Kidding.
Just because it's taught to you that x/o is impossible doesn't mean it's impossible, it's just easier to work with than infinity. There are some mathematicians out there who think that x/0 could be infinity as there are an infinate amounts of 0 in anything (think about it).

Old 03-27-2005, 11:59 AM   #48
Brighteyes

Fraid it dosen't look like anybody wants to.

*pointless i know, but im in a bitchy mood*
Brighteyes is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Monkey Island Discussion > Random Fun > Ye Olde Harbour > Old skool!