lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: SWBF II = Messed Up! ("realism" debate)
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-18-2005, 06:12 AM   #81
010_sWitch_010
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vej-manden
Crosshairs also shouldn't be in the game. I didn't see any crosshairs floating in front of the troopers in the movies
that would look strange, make it hard to play and be quite amusing all at the same time.

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

my mods-http://www.pcgamemods.com/user/8340.html
010_sWitch_010 is offline   you may:
Old 10-18-2005, 08:07 AM   #82
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Current Game: First Strike
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineCult
Alright, while we're at it, lets get rid of the weapon display, and the Radar, and you know what, there wasn't a ticket count over troopers heads, we can GUESS whether we're winning or losing.
Way to not understand sarcasm. Congratulations.

Quote:
SWBF 2 would still be a crappy game if they made it "realistic".
I dislike black-and-white thinking so drop it, OK? Please?
Tonnes of realistic features make a game more fun, just like there are tonnes of unrealistic features that could make it less fun and more complicated. Duh.

Quote:
And yet, it still is!
Crappy or realistic? If your answer is 'realistic', you're way off. If you mean 'realistic' as in 'accurate', you're even farther off.

Seeing this thread has gone so horribly off-topic, I must digress. See you later.

Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may:
Old 10-18-2005, 08:08 AM   #83
Redtech
Veteran

Well, just to drag it on, there shouldn't be a health bar either. And remember, since most troopers are wearing eyepieces, their field of view should be rubbish (E.g Republic commando). And also, don't forget the classic "shoot the gun out of their hands/shoot their leg grenades" scenario.

Oh, and every attack is an insta kill. I doubt many troopers would survive a punch from a SBD.

Come to think of it...I want melee attacks!

I am the definition of your defeat.

Last edited by Redtech; 10-18-2005 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Deagle posted first
Redtech is offline   you may:
Old 10-18-2005, 11:39 AM   #84
zerted
Click Center of Circle: O

Any shooter game would be crappy if realistic. Go join a war if you want realistic fighting.

(I may not agree with thoughts posted under this name)
Looking for a mature clan? Checkout www.rdhclan.net
email/PM me for more info
zerted is offline   you may:
Old 10-18-2005, 03:17 PM   #85
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobahn Eagle
Way to not understand sarcasm. Congratulations.
lol, i just like laying into people.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may:
Old 10-18-2005, 04:15 PM   #86
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerted
Any shooter game would be crappy if realistic. Go join a war if you want realistic fighting.
Not only am I not old enough to join the army, but I really don't want to die, nor do I want to kill people. Considering I've never even held a gun I don't think I'd be very good with one either.

What do you tell all these people who play Grand Theft Auto? "Go join a street gang?" What do you tell all these people who play Madden? "Go join the NFL?"
TK-8252 is offline   you may:
Old 10-18-2005, 04:20 PM   #87
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Pfft. I'm not even surprised. Lucasarts haven't done any good games since JK-2.

Pho3nix is offline   you may:
Old 10-18-2005, 08:16 PM   #88
clonearcman
Rookie

You guys should listen to yourselves. Listen its STAR WARS. Not saying everything in the game is impossible but I guarantee you something in there is NOT POSSIBLE. Let alone stupid in the real world. I mean comon, if youre a guy in the forest in a war the LAST thing you would do is dress up in a huge white suit (clone or storm trooper suits for you nutcases). Also, when you guys say it shouldn't have "health bars and cross hairs"; its like you guys have never played another game. Almost everygame I've played you have a health bar or something that tells you when your're about to die. Come to think of it it HAS been every game I've played. And come on lay off on the "join a real war" spazness. It almost sounds like a political fight. Not the place for it.

Some people are like slinkies. They're fun to push down stairs.

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure. - I can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear.

Princess Leia: @(-_-)@
clonearcman is offline   you may:
Old 10-19-2005, 02:40 AM   #89
zerted

Quote:
I'm saying many games won't be fun if completely realistic. How fun would it be if shots were realistic? You get shot in the leg, you cannot move, but you can still fight a little bit. You get shot in the arm, you drop your weapon and the only thing you can do is walk around, kick other units, and get killed. You get shot anywhere else and you die. There is no need for the health bar.

There is no respawn. If you die, you never come back. You have to reinstall the game to play another round. While some realistic things make a game better, such as being able to shoot through glass and units that carrying heavier weapons move slower, but after a point the more realistic a game gets, the worst it becomes.

Thats what I think. If this was any other thread, I would say lets stop the realism fighting, but since the thread is named ..."realism" debate... bring it on.

I didn't mean to make a political statement, I was thinking a completely realistic game would feel the same as fighting in a war and not many people would like it.

I'm just talking about 1st or 3rd person shooters. I don't consider Grand Theft Auto to be one of them. Everyone, go join a street gang, just make sure it is a friendly, law abiding street gang. Maybe it goes out and picks up the trash on the street. Its motto could be "No one gets hurt when we come to town".

Old 10-19-2005, 05:55 PM   #90
clonearcman
Rookie

I think this thread has lost its point. arcman out

Some people are like slinkies. They're fun to push down stairs.

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure. - I can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear.

Princess Leia: @(-_-)@
clonearcman is offline   you may:
Old 10-20-2005, 12:34 PM   #91
Windu Chi
Banned

Angry

Quote:
I'm saying many games won't be fun if completely realistic. How fun would it be if shots were realistic? You get shot in the leg, you cannot move, but you can still fight a little bit. You get shot in the arm, you drop your weapon and the only thing you can do is walk around, kick other units, and get killed. You get shot anywhere else and you die. There is no need for the health bar.

There is no respawn. If you die, you never come back. You have to reinstall the game to play another round. While some realistic things make a game better, such as being able to shoot through glass and units that carrying heavier weapons move slower, but after a point the more realistic a game gets, the worst it becomes.

Thats what I think. If this was any other thread, I would say lets stop the realism fighting, but since the thread is named ..."realism" debate... bring it on.

I didn't mean to make a political statement, I was thinking a completely realistic game would feel the same as fighting in a war and not many people would like it.

I'm just talking about 1st or 3rd person shooters. I don't consider Grand Theft Auto to be one of them. Everyone, go join a street gang, just make sure it is a friendly, law abiding street gang. Maybe it goes out and picks up the trash on the street. Its motto could be "No one gets hurt when we come to town".
I totaly disaree with you realism is the future of great games if you want to play stupid games that is unrealisted go play kids games.Besiides the Force may be a realisted power, if you study physics some unknown energy that is called Dark Energy it may be the living Force. So when I mean realisted I don't discount that things in Star Wars can happen, because I understand the physics and the infinite possibilities.

Last edited by windu6; 10-20-2005 at 12:54 PM.
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 10-20-2005, 02:50 PM   #92
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

You mean realistic within the realisms of the Star Wars Universe.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

Old 10-20-2005, 04:06 PM   #93
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Besiides the Force may be a realisted power, if you study physics some unknown energy that is called Dark Energy it may be the living Force. So when I mean realisted I don't discount that things in Star Wars can happen, because I understand the physics and the infinite possibilities.
...I think that's where your argument just lost all credibility.

The Force is real? XD
Old 10-20-2005, 04:37 PM   #94
Windu Chi
Banned

Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
...I think that's where your argument just lost all credibility.

The Force is real? XD
So you calling me a religious nut; I just speaking of pure physics pit up a book on Dark Energy. Also if you got a scientific mind you will understand my reasoning.

Remember nothing impossible !
Old 10-20-2005, 04:40 PM   #95
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Unless George Lucas is God, the Force doesn't exist.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:56 PM   #96
Windu Chi
Banned

Thumbs down

Quote:
Unless George Lucas is God, the Force doesn't exist.
Then you must not be a true STAR WARS fan.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:52 PM   #97
Micahc
Rookie

Quote:
Guess most of the people here arn't "true Star Wars" fans then. And if you don't want a health bar wait for the King Kong game to come out.

Micahc is offline   you may:
Old 10-20-2005, 07:11 PM   #98
Arc-453
Rookie

*flaming removed* ~ET

Put your fear behind you were it belongs, Then blast everything in front of you into splinters. You'll do fine - Jango Fett

Last edited by ET Warrior; 10-20-2005 at 08:01 PM.
Arc-453 is offline   you may:
Old 10-20-2005, 07:36 PM   #99
nightmarenny
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtech
Well, just to drag it on, there shouldn't be a health bar either. And remember, since most troopers are wearing eyepieces, their field of view should be rubbish (E.g Republic commando). And also, don't forget the classic "shoot the gun out of their hands/shoot their leg grenades" scenario.

Oh, and every attack is an insta kill. I doubt many troopers would survive a punch from a SBD.

Come to think of it...I want melee attacks!
Acturaly come year 2020 all american soldiers will have a display that gives basic medical data. By the time we make hand held weapons-grade laser we probably will have a health bar. Also first person veiw is already crap compared to normal human vision.
nightmarenny is offline   you may:
Old 10-20-2005, 08:33 PM   #100
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Quote:
So you're saying that "true STAR WARS fans" are lunatics? Who believe the force exists.

- Halo_92

Old 10-20-2005, 09:13 PM   #101
Windu Chi
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineCult
So you're saying that "true STAR WARS fans" are lunatics? Who believe the force exists.
No I not saying that ! I saying that open up your mind and believe in infinite possibilities.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:24 PM   #102
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
No I not saying that ! I saying that open up your mind and believe in infinite possibilities.
Okay, so I'll believe that it rains ice cream and dogs are made of whipped cream. Let's made a sundae.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:43 PM   #103
Windu Chi
Banned

Quote:
Okay, so I'll believe that it rains ice cream and dogs are made of whipped cream. Let's made a sundae.
You trying to be funny hah hah. I just consider infinite possibilities ! If you don't it's okay!
Old 10-20-2005, 10:28 PM   #104
KTR
Rookie

can you please define a "true STAR WARS fan"?

Is it one of those people that carry a lightsaber to work, wears star wars underware, painted his/her car to the paint job of the xwing, made a rd-d2 suit for the dog, has a crush over Leia, prays to The Force, try to lift the fridge with the force and gets a hernia, decorated their home like the interior of the death star, reads and studies every thing of star wars, spams emails to George Lucas asking to answer some question (i think the G-man is sick and tired of his deticated fans), reads a book called "dark energy", dresses like a ewok on halloween, trying to build his/her own pod racer, ..... (some one can continue).....
KTR is offline   you may:
Old 10-20-2005, 10:39 PM   #105
Windu Chi
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTR
can you please define a "true STAR WARS fan"?

Is it one of those people that carry a lightsaber to work, wears star wars underware, painted his/her car to the paint job of the xwing, made a rd-d2 suit for the dog, has a crush over Leia, prays to The Force, try to lift the fridge with the force and gets a hernia, decorated their home like the interior of the death star, reads and studies every thing of star wars, spams emails to George Lucas asking to answer some question (i think the G-man is sick and tired of his deticated fans), reads a book called "dark energy", dresses like a ewok on halloween, trying to build his/her own pod racer, ..... (some one can continue).....
Well I don't know about all that but I wish the force was real and I really want to be a Jedi Knight. So I can escape this dull life and time period.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:44 PM   #106
KTR
Rookie

How old are you? you must be a high schooler, just studing away and being bored most of the time. Well, sooner or later you will have freedom and life wont be dull. People who believe in the force are crazy. its fake, and its made out of someones head (who must be rich now).
Old 10-20-2005, 11:01 PM   #107
Windu Chi
Banned

Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTR
How old are you? you must be a high schooler, just studing away and being bored most of the time. Well, sooner or later you will have freedom and life wont be dull. People who believe in the force are crazy. its fake, and its made out of someones head (who must be rich now).
Hi I am 20 years old and i am not crazy. I just dream of a better life and time were space travel is possible and just not for "CRAZY PEOPLE" hopes. What are your dreams to get rich and die or live forever ?
Old 10-21-2005, 05:30 AM   #108
zerted

Quote:
...Besiides the Force may be a realisted power, if you study physics some unknown energy that is called Dark Energy it may be the living Force. So when I mean realisted I don't discount that things in Star Wars can happen, because I understand the physics and the infinite possibilities.
I don't remember talking about force powers. But lets talk about it. Currently Dark Energy is still completely scientific speculation, gravity (though we don't know how its created) exists, and magnetic fields exist. I think if we develop something like forces powers, it would be from magnetic fields or gravity.

Magnetic fields are already being used like force powers. Some mass transportation systems use magnetic fields to speed up, slow down, and stay on the track. Other current uses of magnetic fields which emulate force powers include 'holding' electrons. Magnetic fields are used to suspend, accerlate, or decelerate electrons. While both of the examples are large scale, some day it may be possible to carry such a system. The only problem using it as a force power, is that magnetic fields do not affect everything.

While gravity is one of the weekest forces (Pick up your mouse. You've just defeated gravity! It take a mass as massize as Earth to create that gravity. ) it affects almost everything (it does bend light) and can be very strong. If some day we learn how gravity is created (we know mass gives off gravitional fields, but we don't know how those fields are created) we could make gravity devices. They would be able to 'move' ojects by changing the gravational forces in the area around the ojects.

I don't really know much about the properities of Dary Energy.

We already have space travel , but I know what you mean . I hope I can live to see that day.

VxE!y xeR+ yeZ [ ( (y+1 = |-x-|) /\ (y-1 = |_x_|) ) \/ (y = x) ]

Old 10-21-2005, 07:57 AM   #109
Darth_Terros
Veteran

Helpful! 
Quote:
So I can escape this dull life and time period.
Suicide?

Ok but seriously your the nuttiest person i've seen on any forum i post on *i've posted on alot*

I dont know where you get your psuedo-science Dark energy is like the force

Anywa back on subject

Realism in battle front - although i think it would be cool to have a more realistic game *where even ewoks can take down stormtroopers* it just wouldnt be as fun remember this is a game produced for the mass market not just starwars fans it needs to appeal to everyone

maybe one day we'll get our Storm trooper military simulator but for now we'll have to just do with this

Darth_Terros is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2005, 10:27 AM   #110
Jurian
Lurker

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

That's all I got to say on this.
Jurian is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2005, 11:47 AM   #111
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Terros
Suicide?

Ok but seriously your the nuttiest person i've seen on any forum i post on *i've posted on alot*
He's the nuttiest person i've ever seen as well.

No way you're 20 windu6, if you are you're retarded or from a non-english speaking country. (Judging from your posts i'd say both.)

- Halo_92

Old 10-21-2005, 12:20 PM   #112
KTR
Rookie

Commerical space travel is comming, but a very long time from now. Spaceship One is the first, but only the rich will able to afford to fly it first. We will all be dead and then some to see a speck of star wars come true. Things like "lightspeed" and such are all bogus right now, no one knows where to start.

20! you are in college, you are free. Man, college is so fun (i am a college student myself) so much freedom, you can skip most of you classes, without trouble, you can enjoy with out hassels (never mind...there is always money, unless you are rich). It so friken funny to see that some one whats to be a jedi and use the force. ***HAHAHAHA*** Only crazy lunatics think like that. Heck, no one can make a lightsaber in the start. No lightsaber = no jedi. LOL!

Old 10-21-2005, 12:40 PM   #113
Darth_Terros
Veteran

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTR
No lightsaber = no jedi
Ahh but the jedi didnt have them to start with

But yeah for a start we dont have such things as midiclorians so thats your first hurdle to being a jedi

Darth_Terros is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2005, 12:59 PM   #114
ET Warrior
PhD in horribleness

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
This thread has gone on long enough, we've gotten so far off, and all we're going to get out of this is a flame fest. Those of you who have been flaming probably know who you are, and if you do it again, more will happen than a simple thread closing.

ET Warrior is offline   you may:
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > SWBattlefront.net (SWBF I & II) > Star Wars Battlefront II > General Discussion > SWBF II = Messed Up! ("realism" debate)