lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: What Force alignment do you use?
Light Side 29 70.73%
Dark Side 12 29.27%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Which alignment do you use? (JA)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-13-2005, 06:34 PM   #1
StaffSaberist
DECEPTION IS FINISHED! :D

Location: The United States of America... and damn proud of it!
Which alignment do you use?

I think I can see a billion DS answers, but I was curious what everyone played as. It might be interesting to see what the advantages of a LS user vs. a DS user are.

Deception, the best SP level-set in the world, is done! Get it here!
"Query: What is it you wish, fat one?" - HK-47 at his best
I have begun modding TSL. Check it out here. and My Fanfic
StaffSaberist is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-13-2005, 07:03 PM   #2
ZeroX2

Both. It depends on the game type. Originally, when I first got Jedi Knight 1, I played light side. I later came to think the dark side was more powerful, and I used that for a while. Many people died at my hands. But now I find the light side to be most useful.

In Capture the Flag games, I usually use the light side. Heal, Absorb, and sometimes Mind Trick are great force powers for both defensive and offensive needs. Sometimes I use the dark side, though - it depends on the map. Grip is great for throwing attackers off ledges and the like.

Name: Fusion (or tehfusion).
Game Type: Capture the flag.
Mod: Basejka.
Saber Type: Saber staff, or single saber.
ZeroX2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-13-2005, 07:12 PM   #3
StaffSaberist

So DS would be better for a map like nar shaddaa streets, you're saying. Makes sense.

Old 11-13-2005, 07:20 PM   #4
ZeroX2

Not necessarily. Grip would definately become more powerful on a map like Nar Shaddaa Streets, yes. But that also means that Absorb would therefore be much more useful.

Old 11-14-2005, 01:37 AM   #5
thehomicidalegg

yeh it really depends on the game type and my mood at the time

generally dark for ffa, light for ctf
thehomicidalegg is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-15-2005, 01:26 AM   #6
riceplant

Both, really. I play Dark Side, until the lack of heal gets too much for me, then Light Side, until the lack of grip gets too much for me. Although I don't think absorb is as much use in NS streets as you say, because you can't have it on all the time, right? And a good player is just going to wait until it wears off, or jump you before you get a chance to turn it on. It takes about 0.05 of a second to throw someone off a ledge, and most people don't react that fast.
riceplant is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-15-2005, 12:42 PM   #7
ZeroX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceplant
And a good player is just going to wait until it wears off, or jump you before you get a chance to turn it on. It takes about 0.05 of a second to throw someone off a ledge, and most people don't react that fast.
Where did you get that figure from? It takes much longer than that (in basejka multiplayer, anyway). And a good player would therefore kill the enemy before Absorb wears off, or activate it in advance, knowing what the opponent likes to do.

Old 11-15-2005, 03:14 PM   #8
cafa
Rookie

Location: did i type wrong? im trying to improve my english, be my gest to tell me were i wrong. just be nice.
in JA Single Player i prefer the Dark side, since i can such enemies life, use a 'invulnerabilty' for some time and be more agressive.
the bad side its that im vulnerable to force atacks and in Vjun (not sure about the name) the acid rain consum my skin, and i often need a enemie to such his life. otehr bad side its that i dont use the 'mind trick' so enemies with concussion rifles are dangerous.
in DF2 i chose the light path, dont remember now the skills, but the light ones atract me more in time (i remember that Dark had a ridiculous skill that throw debris...)
on KOTOR i chose the lightside, since i realy like the sith alingment, but to be a sith on KOTOR you must say ofencive speacks, and i prefer kill ppl then keep saying stuff like that $#%@# for a few dark points
in mine opinion, the dark side its more align to a jedi that wants power then a bad person. my humble opinion..

--EDITED--
cafa is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-15-2005, 03:34 PM   #9
ZeroX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafa
in DF2 i chose the light path, dont remember now the skills, but the light ones atract me more in time (i remember that Dark had a ridiculous skill that throw debris...)
Light side has Absorb, Persuasion, Blinding, Protection, Healing.
Dark side has Throw, Grip, Lightning, Destruction, Deadly Sight.

Old 11-15-2005, 03:45 PM   #10
cafa
Rookie

Location: did i type wrong? im trying to improve my english, be my gest to tell me were i wrong. just be nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroX2
Light side has Absorb, Persuasion, Blinding, Protection, Healing.
Dark side has Throw, Grip, Lightning, Destruction, Deadly Sight.
thanks, i remember that i could throw debris on ppl, but these debris are very few. im not sure, but this skill dont exist in the expansion misteries of the sith..

--EDITED--
Old 11-15-2005, 03:51 PM   #11
ZeroX2

Quote:
thanks, i remember that i could throw debris on ppl, but these debris are very few. im not sure, but this skill dont exist in the expansion misteries of the sith..
Well, that depends on the map. It was rather fun to use, though.

Old 11-16-2005, 10:03 AM   #12
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Dark Side, mostly. I would have used Light Side but I'm a fast-paced player so I find choke, lightning and drain more satisfying than heal, absorb or the other ones...

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-16-2005, 10:17 AM   #13
cafa
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
Dark Side, mostly. I would have used Light Side but I'm a fast-paced player so I find choke, lightning and drain more satisfying than heal, absorb or the other ones...
i agree with you. and these skills are very good to finish enemies too. i can engage a jedi, take much of his life by saber then cast a lightin or life drain to finish it. very, very cool.

--EDITED--
Old 11-16-2005, 11:19 AM   #14
ZeroX2

Quote:
these skills are very good to finish enemies too. i can engage a jedi, take much of his life by saber then cast a lightin or life drain to finish it.
Quote:
And what do you do when the person is using Absorb?

Old 11-16-2005, 01:52 PM   #15
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaffSaberist
I think I can see a billion DS answers, but I was curious what everyone played as. It might be interesting to see what the advantages of a LS user vs. a DS user are.
Both. I prefer to play the Hero, so in these types of games I always go good guy first, then play bad guy to get the villians' point of view.

For multiplayer, I played both in each game but typically fell into lightside out of habit. In JA the same is true and I normally play LS, so I break out of it occasionally to train with DS and get better at that. Thanks to Siege of course I frequently get to play Dark or Light or some combination (since some of the Jedi characters are more neutral).

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2005, 02:16 AM   #16
acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
i have two light configs and two dark configs bound for easy access. it depends on the situation, darksides are d exclusive, but i have 1 lightside defense config and one lightside o config.

acdcfanbill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2005, 08:44 AM   #17
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
And what do you do when the person is using Absorb?
We slice him with our sabers.
Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2005, 09:20 AM   #18
ZeroX2

Quote:
We slice him with our sabers.
While he slices you back, and heals, you mean? =)

Old 11-17-2005, 09:33 AM   #19
StaffSaberist

Or Force Pushes you off a cliffside? Or even funnier yet, pulls out the 2-gun and slowly blasts you?

(I can't remember the name of the weapon, I call it the 2-gun because that's the button I hit to activate it.)

Old 11-17-2005, 10:00 AM   #20
ZeroX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaffSaberist
Or Force Pushes you off a cliffside? Or even funnier yet, pulls out the 2-gun and slowly blasts you?

(I can't remember the name of the weapon, I call it the 2-gun because that's the button I hit to activate it.)
The DL-44 BlasTech Pistol? That's a great weapon.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:55 AM   #21
thehomicidalegg

or you can just wait out the absorb, drain his pool empty and then take a pick.

i always wondered why they replaced the bryar with the blastech...
Old 11-17-2005, 11:22 AM   #22
ZeroX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehomicidalegg
or you can just wait out the absorb, drain his pool empty and then take a pick.
But a good light-sider isn't going to just stand there. He (or even she!) will kill you before it runs out. And while Absorb is active, he/she will be able to heal, while you will not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehomicidalegg
i always wondered why they replaced the bryar with the blastech...
They didn't really replace it. You can still acquire the Bryar Pistol via cheats, or if a mapper includes it in the map. I suppose they just wanted to give the player a standard gun with unlimited ammo - so they added in the DL-44 BlasTech Pistol.

Old 11-17-2005, 02:58 PM   #23
Kurgan
Headhunter

And this could go on forever!

Anyway... yeah I have a seperate cfg for Dark, Light and Neutral Siege I have keys bound to. I also have a "master" config for Holocron/Jedi Master that isn't bound to anything but I can exec when needed.

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Old 11-17-2005, 06:58 PM   #24
StaffSaberist

@thehomicidalegg - The BlasTech fires slower than the Bryar, FYI.

@Kurgan - Ahh! I made an infinite post! *warp*

I play light usually, b/c I rely on Heal and Absorb, esp. with those who use Lightning all the time.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:15 PM   #25
dumbledore
Rookie

i have both sides' cfgs bound to keys too since which one is better depends on the situation.
dumbledore is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-18-2005, 03:05 AM   #26
acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Quote:
But a good light-sider isn't going to just stand there. He (or even she!) will kill you before it runs out. And while Absorb is active, he/she will be able to heal, while you will not.
It was well known in jk2, that darksides benefits far outweighs its failings, they are brought closer together in JA, but darkside still triumphs in any duel where the darksider knows what he is doing. LS ppl forget absorb makes noise, and since a darksider isnt going to give you any force while you have it on, you will eventially run out (ticked off by the sound quitting) and will procede to drain you and keep you at 0/low force while he sabers you up, taking a break to drain back health any time (s)he needs it.

acdcfanbill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-18-2005, 08:45 AM   #27
ZeroX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdcfanbill
It was well known in jk2, that darksides benefits far outweighs its failings, they are brought closer together in JA, but darkside still triumphs in any duel where the darksider knows what he is doing. LS ppl forget absorb makes noise, and since a darksider isnt going to give you any force while you have it on, you will eventially run out (ticked off by the sound quitting) and will procede to drain you and keep you at 0/low force while he sabers you up, taking a break to drain back health any time (s)he needs it.
But light-side triumphs when the lightsider knows what he is doing. What about players that only activate Absorb when the opponent is actually using force attacks on them, and deactivate it afterwards? Free force points.

And what's stopping the lightsider from killing the darksider while using Absorb?

Old 11-18-2005, 03:15 PM   #28
Lathain Valtiel
Ex-Angel

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Ha ha ha ha no.

Any dark sider even half decent at dodging will laugh off your attempts to kill him/her unless you procure a gun besides the pistol. What'll happen, if they are good, is that they'll bunny hop like mad at such a range that they can hear when your absorb fades. You can't Throw them, because if you do you just waste Force that doesn't regen while Absorb is up. And once it goes down, you get sucked dry by Drain, as Absorb has a one second delay before it can be reactivated and Force does not auto regen when it is up. You have to have godly movement skill to beat Drain without absorb, and judging from what you say, you don't.

I am frigging exclusively Light Side except in Jedi Master. I know what the hell I'm talking about. I've taken on the likes of mediablitz (and actually won a few times). The fact is, lightsiders are so ****ed against Drain it isn't funny.

Kurgan's Meatgrinder (JA Server: 72.5.248.212:29070)

Player tested, Valtiel approved.

Valtiel approved downloads for Meatgrinder: http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/downloads.shtml
Lathain Valtiel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-18-2005, 03:36 PM   #29
Kurgan
Headhunter

So mediablitz is good at JA? Nice to know he has other interests besides lurking and trolling.

Old 11-18-2005, 06:24 PM   #30
StaffSaberist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathain Valtiel
Any dark sider even half decent at dodging will laugh off your attempts to kill him/her unless you procure a gun besides the pistol. What'll happen, if they are good, is that they'll bunny hop like mad at such a range that they can hear when your absorb fades. You can't Throw them, because if you do you just waste Force that doesn't regen while Absorb is up. And once it goes down, you get sucked dry by Drain, as Absorb has a one second delay before it can be reactivated and Force does not auto regen when it is up. You have to have godly movement skill to beat Drain without absorb, and judging from what you say, you don't.
What about Force Push? You can knock them down and use Throw while they are down. Some n00bs consider that unethical. I say only if that's all you do. Bunny-hopping uses Force Points too, you know, unless you jump so low they can just saber you.

Quote:
I am frigging exclusively Light Side except in Jedi Master. I know what the hell I'm talking about. I've taken on the likes of mediablitz (and actually won a few times). The fact is, lightsiders are so ****ed against Drain it isn't funny.
Good. I play LS a lot too, and make frequent use of Absorb, Heal, and the occasional Mind Trick. mediablitz, ya say? I'd like a crack at that flamer. Call me a newbie, will he... and if LS is so ****ed, as you say, why not play DS? Absorb is an excellent power vs. the Dark Side, and I don't turn it on unless Force-Attacked. Sure, that means I take a little from Lightning, but I dish it back out with my Staff, or a gun if he gets away.

Old 11-18-2005, 08:02 PM   #31
Lathain Valtiel
Ex-Angel

LFN Staff Member 
Bunny hopping does not use Force if executed properly. Second, they will also be so damn fast most swings you attempt will just miss without insane timing that almost no one has. Third, using Push and Throw is an even worse idea than just throw, as doing that ENSURES you'll have no Force after Absorb is down and thus youll be a sitting duck to PT/GT/Lightning/etc.

Oh, by the way... Ha ha ha. You'd get dominated so hard by mediablitz it isn't funny.

Valtiel approved downloads for Meatgrinder: http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/downloads.shtml
Old 11-18-2005, 08:10 PM   #32
StaffSaberist

Do you have anything to do besides post flame-bait? That last sentence makes me want to have a crack at both of you, now. More inspiration to get better.

I was called a n00b because I said I like JA+. I like it because I can gun those people who spend all their time on the Grapple Hook. I say good riddiance to MxBxZ and his aliases. He's a flamin' jerk, even to Kurgan. Kurgan, most mods on other forums would ban him the second he admitted to a duplicate login. You're too nice.

Last edited by StaffSaberist; 11-18-2005 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:24 PM   #33
thehomicidalegg

yes but what lathain said is very true.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:00 PM   #34
Lathain Valtiel
Ex-Angel

LFN Staff Member 
Regardless of mediablitz' attitude, the fact remains that he would most likely utterly destroy you. If I can't beat him, the fact is that the majority of JA players can't do it either. Take it as arrogance or WTFever, but also take it as damn true. Also take it as 'damn true' that Dark Side dominates Light Side in duels similarly to the domination scenario with the saber types... It takes incredible skill in a Lightsider to win to a decent Darksider in duel.... It takes even MORE skill to do it in Power Duel, and if the DSer is the single opponent... Your goose is cooked if they decide to Drain.

The FFA I had with him, Rad Blackrose, and some other guys was actually rather fun... I was in 2nd or 3rd too.

Old 11-19-2005, 03:38 PM   #35
StaffSaberist

OK. So he's good. Whatever. I don't care how good he is - it matters more to me how good I can become. And the fact he can do well in JAMP doesn't make me dislike him any less.

*strokes the delete button on the first post*

No, not yet... let's see if we can get back on topic... topic was what advantages do each sides of the Force have, and what is your personal preference, and why...

Last edited by StaffSaberist; 11-19-2005 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:14 PM   #36
ZeroX2

Quote:
Ha ha ha ha no.
I know what the hell I'm talking about.
Heh, and I don't, right? You are the master of all knowledge (just like in the saber debate!). Eh, believe what you want.

Quote:
You have to have godly movement skill to beat Drain without absorb, and judging from what you say, you don't.
Just learn to defeat it. I recommend you practice specifically defeating Drain. You'll get it in no time.

Quote:
Oh, by the way... Ha ha ha. You'd get dominated so hard by mediablitz it isn't funny.
Have you ever played StaffSaberist? No? Well then.

Quote:
What'll happen, if they are good, is that they'll bunny hop like mad
So he/she will run away? What's stopping the light-sider from running away upon losing Absorb?

Old 11-19-2005, 04:50 PM   #37
StaffSaberist

*sigh* OK, I'll get into this...

Quote:
Heh, and I don't, right? You are the master of all knowledge (just like in the saber debate!). Eh, believe what you want.
Don't care about that quite as much as the air of arrogance that post brought to the thread. (Talking about LV)

Quote:
Just learn to defeat it. I recommend you practice specifically defeating Drain. You'll get it in no time.
Absorb, saber, repeat second step as necessary...

Quote:
Have you ever played StaffSaberist? No? Well then.
No comment. The only people I have played yet is a few n00bs with Grapple Hooks and the tendency to abuse Grip. Then call me pathetic for refusing to Grapple.

Quote:
So he/she will run away? What's stopping the light-sider from running away upon losing Absorb?
Well, he said that they will jump up and down in the air. Very annoying. It also gives the LSer a chance to abandon Absorb, and use Speed to get the hell outta there till they are in more advantagous terrain. Or saber a nearly-dead guy and up their frag count by 1.

Old 11-19-2005, 06:53 PM   #38
Lathain Valtiel
Ex-Angel

LFN Staff Member 
Oh please ZeroX2. It's obvious from your posts that you have no clue of some of the finer points of the gameplay mechanics as they apply ingame. You trying to tell me to learn something is a sick joke.

What'll stop the LSer from running away? Wrong question.

Here's the right question: How can I damage him as he's running? DS has the perfect tools. How about Grip? How about Lightning? How about Drain to make sure they aren't getting Force back and you're getting massive amounts of health back? All three are quasi-area of effect attacks, which LS does not have at all.

The point is that no matter what you do against a good Dark Sider you are going to take damage once your Absorb is up UNLESS you are a hiding god (it can be done, it's just that, as I said, the skill required is insane), and the reverse does not necessarily apply if you are a Lightie due to a lack of consistently damaging long range attacks except for Pull Throw, which takes around 40-50 force per shot. Once you do it twice at max your ass is up for a Lightning-delivered roasting or PT/GT-Drain combos.

Old 11-19-2005, 06:58 PM   #39
StaffSaberist

Quote:
Here's the right question: How can I damage him as he's running? DS has the perfect tools. How about Grip? How about Lightning? How about Drain to make sure they aren't getting Force back and you're getting massive amounts of health back?
How 'bout Absorb?

Old 11-19-2005, 06:59 PM   #40
Lathain Valtiel
Ex-Angel

LFN Staff Member 
I've already said that since his force doesn't regenerate by itself while it is up, and acdcfanbill has said that it makes a sound (which is true), you are screwed the moment it goes down. There is a delay after which you can activate it again.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Help Center > Strategy Shack > Which alignment do you use? (JA)