lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Star Wars Kotor movies being made
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-20-2005, 08:23 PM   #1
Revan Skywalker
Rookie

Location: In a place where few know, training and Mastering the Force and my own unusal ability to fly at will.
Arrow Star Wars Kotor movies being made

Revan Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-20-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
Revan Skywalker
Rookie

Location: In a place where few know, training and Mastering the Force and my own unusal ability to fly at will.
Hi everyone. OK, so you came here for news. I am going to soon purchase a program that allows computer animation, and i will make 6 Kotor movies with it. May the Force guide you. P.S. How do you post a new message on the same thread?
Old 10-20-2005, 08:26 PM   #3
RobQel-Droma
Blah

Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Edit: Nevermind about that last post.

If you want to write something else in the same post, just click the "edit this post" button in the lower right corner of the post; I hope that was what you wanted to know.

Welcome to the Forums, Revan Skywalker! You might want to put this in Ahto Spaceport Cantina next time, go to here: http://lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=325. Sorry I didn't make that a link (maybe the site will automatically) my computer doesn't like it for some reason.

And good luck! To tell you the truth, I am not sure about getting six movies made, I suppose they are going to be short, but then again I have no clue . Anyways, good luck!
RobQel-Droma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-20-2005, 08:33 PM   #4
Revan Skywalker
Rookie

OK. I will order a computer animation program that allows you to make movies that look like video games. Thanks for the warm welcome.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:35 PM   #5
Revan Skywalker
Rookie

Also, just want to see if people would be interested in seeing it on theforce.net. Just curious. If this thread is boring, sorry. Will post better topics soon. May the Force guide you.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:38 PM   #6
Revan Skywalker
Rookie

Thanks RobQuel-Droma! No, they will be normal movie time. I did some really long surfing on the web and found the program. Now i just have to scrape up enough money to buy it.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:25 PM   #7
RobQel-Droma
Blah

You're welcome! Just a word of advice, you might want to put those all in the same post.

I hope you have some success, I would love to see movies around that time period. Unfortunately, as you say they are going to be long, which means large. I am not sure if my computer could handle the size or not.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:20 PM   #8
Revan Skywalker
Rookie

Ok then, i'll make them parts, with five parts or so each. Sound good? May the Force guide you!
Old 10-21-2005, 04:05 PM   #9
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
@Revan Skywalker: Edit your posts instead of posting three or four in a row.
You'd need to buy the rights to the game before you can make a movie. That'll cost a lot of money. You could get into serious trouble if you make the movie without the rights.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2005, 04:31 PM   #10
RobQel-Droma
Blah

Oh yeah, I didn't think about that, I would agree with the Doctor.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:54 PM   #11
The Doctor
Retired

Forum Veteran 
^Everybody agrees with me. I'm a Time Lord. You can't help but trust me.
It would be a cool idea, but it wouldn't be possible.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:34 PM   #12
Revan Skywalker
Rookie

Except, I saw a fanfilm that was a cheesy Revenge of the Sith. They didn't buy the rights.

I'm a marshmallow away from a bowo of lucky charms.

Last edited by Revan Skywalker; 10-24-2005 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:51 PM   #13
The_Maker
Veteran

If you don't sell it for money I believe its alright, but if its just for "fun, haha" kinds of purposes then I believe it doesn't break any rules

The_Maker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2005, 10:35 AM   #14
TheExileReturns
Rookie

That would be cool.
When will you complete Kotor I? will you release them idividually?
TheExileReturns is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2005, 03:25 PM   #15
The Doctor
Retired

Forum Veteran 
Even if you don't intend to make a profit from it, it's still illegal. He can't make them unless he has permission from Lucas Arts.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:55 PM   #16
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Even if you don't intend to make a profit from it, it's still illegal. He can't make them unless he has permission from Lucas Arts.
Not true, you can make a fan film using any of the sci-fi genres out there and there is nothing that can be done about it... fan films are made all the time.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2005, 09:12 AM   #17
Aurora Merlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawke
Not true, you can make a fan film using any of the sci-fi genres out there and there is nothing that can be done about it... fan films are made all the time.
correct if you don't intend to sell or make profits then its legal
Aurora Merlow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2005, 09:42 AM   #18
Soogz
Forumite

Current Game: Fifa 09
Can't wait untill those movies are done. Post a link whenever you finish.

Soogz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2005, 04:45 PM   #19
The Doctor
Retired

Forum Veteran 
If you're right, RedHawke, then couldn't I post the KotOR soundtrack on the internet and let people download it, as long as I don't make a profit? I was told it was still illegal.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:39 PM   #20
sparrow-nest
Lurker

making a movie in a game is often called machinima - it is done a lot, some of the most relevant examples are RedvsBlue (made in Halo), NeverEndingNights (in NWN) and A Great and Majestic Empire (or AGaME, made in another SW game). An upcoming one with great promise is Bloodmoon (.com)

a common method is to use a screencapture program like FRAPS to capture whatever you're doing in the game, then add voice acting later as you edit it togheter.

www.machinima.com and rvb.roosterteeth.com are good places to get your feet wet.

as for the legality of using KOTOR, it depends a bit on the EULA - as long as you're mainly "just" capturing gameplay and not selling it (ie you could technically push print screen a lot and then animate it) it might pass - as long as you're "respectful" of the SW universe and charcters....
sparrow-nest is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2005, 10:46 PM   #21
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
If you're right, RedHawke, then couldn't I post the KotOR soundtrack on the internet and let people download it, as long as I don't make a profit? I was told it was still illegal.
It is illegal, blame the music industry for this. This issue has nothing to do whatsoever with fan films.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2005, 11:16 PM   #22
The Doctor
Retired

Forum Veteran 
I hate laws. They get in the way.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:43 PM   #23
Thaeos
Rookie

Damn, I thought this meant properly, by George Lucas ... or at least endorsed by him.

Oh well, this sounds interesting as well.

I gaze into the moon which makes my mind pure as crystal lakes, my eyes cold as the darkest winter nights,
But yet there is a flame inside,
It guides me into the dark shadows beyond this world,
Into the infinity of thoughts.

In the name of the Almighty Emperor I will ride the Lands in pride carrying the Blacksword at hand, in war.
Wherever there is joy the hordes of the eclipse will Pollute sadness and hate under the reign of fear.
The lands will grow Black.
Thaeos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-07-2005, 02:55 PM   #24
Master-Athamay
Lurker

When you think about it, a KOTOR movie could be good AND bad...

I mean, Revan is WAY better than teh emperor... but Malak sucks compared to Darth Vader.

And people would say it's too cliche...

Sidious: I have a proposition for you.
Me: I'm all ears.
Sidious: Join the dark side...
Me: ...That's it?
Sidious: Yep.
Both: ............
Sidious: Uh...You get a red lightsaber?
Me: O.o! Ooh! Gimme!
Master-Athamay is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-08-2005, 12:05 AM   #25
Revan Skywalker
Rookie

Well, I'll be getting the package on Christmas, ( perfect timing huh?) and they will be individual and it will be for fun. When I will release it, hmmm, probably around February.

Old 11-08-2005, 08:13 AM   #26
Vladimir-Vlada
Counselor Idealist

I am sorry, but I think that that is SERIOUSLY hard. What kind of program is that? I never heard of it. Can you please tell me how it works?
Vladimir-Vlada is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-08-2005, 04:27 PM   #27
Anon21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan Skywalker
Well, I'll be getting the package on Christmas, ( perfect timing huh?) and they will be individual and it will be for fun. When I will release it, hmmm, probably around February.
That is quite a short time. Especially if there will be voice acting. (Which I'm guessing there will be)
Anon21 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-08-2005, 04:39 PM   #28
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Yeah, I don't know if February would be a good date to set. It may get rushed and look unfinished if you release it so soon. Either that, or these movies are all you work on from december till february

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-08-2005, 06:27 PM   #29
Revan Skywalker
Rookie

I'm just guessing on the date right now. Its a computer animation program. If you want the site, go to www.eovia.net. Go to the products and look for Cararra 3D basics 2.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:38 PM   #30
DarkExcalibur42
Rookie

interesting product....

I'd push the completion date to A YEAR from February (and that wouldn't be a full length film)...

You'll have to make each of the characters, all the props, the environment, settings, tables, desks, pens pencils, potted plants, backdrops, placement of objects, etc...

and that doesn't even mention voice acting, storyline, plot/char development, camera angles....

That's a MAJOR project...

Forgive me for being a bit skeptical... but I'm not sure if you realized how much work that really is...

Sincerely Signed,
The Infamous Captain Jaykke Starhawk --->

---created the word "twookie" @ 11-03-2005, 09:52 PM---
Now everyone knows who to blame
DarkExcalibur42 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-08-2005, 11:51 PM   #31
Revan Skywalker
Rookie

You're right, DarkExcalibur42. I guess I was just thinking about it being finished to much. But yeah, it is an interesting find, the product.

Old 11-10-2005, 05:08 PM   #32
sparrow-nest
Lurker

revan,

kudos for your idea and drive - but i would seriously suggest trying to 'make' the movie as a test just with the game itself (and perhaps some well placed mods) - getting dialogue, editing and doing cuts is a serious chore, and if your going to do all the modeling in addition you'll probably spend at least 3 months making just the trailer...

MUCH better (especially for all us out here eager for your STORY) to make something entertaining now, and then perhaps due like FTC and expand into 3D modelling later on.

(guessing that your main drive is telling a great kotor story - not spending nights getting walkmeshes, vertices and textures to line up, then weekends waitng for a proper render)

www.bloodspell.com is a good reference - they are a large team, have been working on making a 'movie' for a over a year - but mainly by building on top of neverwinter nights
Old 11-10-2005, 06:13 PM   #33
Revan Skywalker
Rookie

The movie will take a long time, yes, but I believe I can do it.

Old 11-15-2005, 10:42 AM   #34
sparrow-nest
Lurker

best of luck! looking forward to the trailer....
Old 11-15-2005, 06:10 PM   #35
Revan Skywalker
Rookie

Very well, this thread is "adjourned" until further notice.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Republic Newsfeed > Star Wars Kotor movies being made