lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: DedServ. SWBF2 PC question
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-09-2005, 03:27 PM   #1
jaemz
Rookie

DedServ. SWBF2 PC question

Anyone know if my P3 866Mhz 1GRAM XPpro machine on a 2M(down)/600k(up) broadband connection would make a decent dedicated server for SWBF2 PC?

If so, any idea what kind of player limit or hosting issues I may have?

Thanks for the input...

Last edited by jaemz; 11-10-2005 at 12:26 AM. Reason: edited bandwidth mistake
jaemz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-21-2005, 03:53 PM   #2
Carpaltunnal
Rookie

Thumbs up

I definitely think it's worth trying...

a 600k up limit should be lag free for up to 10 players. You might want to increase this to 12 or 14 and ask your players to see how it's handling.

At 12 or 14 players I think your 866 will do fine provided you turn off any unneeded programs and nix any TSR's. (if you CTRL-ALT-DEL to the taskmanager I would hope to see 25 processes or less running on that machine, with the only major application being SWBF2). Without rendering etc I think that pc would do fine.

in Taskmanager you can also set the CPU priority for the BattlefrontII.exe to "above normal". I do this on my server which doubles as the lesser of 3 household pc's (email, surfing, print server) and I haven't encountered any stability issues that I don't encounter with the process set at "normal" priority, and this makes sure that even thought the program is running in the background it always gets full cpu priority.

CT.

Old 11-28-2005, 03:18 PM   #3
jaemz
Rookie

Thanks, I wasn't going to bother but now I will... I will let you know how/if it works.
jaemz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > SWBattlefront.net (SWBF I & II) > Star Wars Battlefront II > Server Administration > DedServ. SWBF2 PC question