My thoughts so far
I played the demo completely then downloaded some of the mods out there.
Some things I noticed so far:
1) I do not like how the computer pics your initial force of ships if you have too many. I would prefer an option to pick my starting ships as I sometimes have different things in mind.
2) Not sure if it's a bug or not, but you can't retreat space.
3) Some stations can not be completely destroyed by capital ships. Not sure if it's a bug or intentional. ALWAYS leave at least 1 set of fighters in reserve. Right now, if you have no fighters and you kill everything including all station hard points, but not the station AND you only have capital ships, you have to exit the game. (Can't retreat, can't kill some of the stations with capital ships) The marauder capital "may" be able to kill it will the barrage special.
4) Some maps are bugged. not sure if it's a demo or mod problem (Currently all planets use the same map). Some maps will have invisble buildings. They will show up in red on the map and your units will fire on them. They CAN be destroyed but it takes time. Constant bomb runs on the same spot or tanks switched to rocket mode can take care of them, but some will spawn enemy infantry/vehicles.
5) Some of the mods have the Imp AI on superhigh. They will kick your butt like nothing.
6) You can only seem to issue build orders while paused. Movement orders (including those in the galactic map) will not work. This needs to be fixed.
7) Speaking of the Galactic Map...A part of me thinks this should be turn based. In realtime, in the full game with working AI and all, I can see the map getting hectic. Way too much will be going on. I can see 2 player battles taking FOREVER. I think it will be EXTREMLY hard to organize any sort of front line. Some possible things to help.
A) Make the galactic map turn based. Have all builds take a certain number of turns as well as moves. Make sure the player knows the number of turns before hand.
B) Have a separate planet breakdown page. Something that has a list of your planets and the space/land defenses based there as well what is in the build que.
C) Enable a perpetual build que so I can select X-wing's,for example to constantly build without my intervention. Have an option to enable this on multiple planets at once.
D) Re-do the travel map. Right now, I think you can go to any adjacent planet. This leaves you with a lot more area to defend. Make it so that some planets need to go through 2-4 other planets to get there. Not all, just some....
8)An orbital bombardment option would be nice, but it may be too powerful in conjunction with the bombing runs.
That's about all so far. I played for about 4 hours straight today and didn't finish one full map. I pushed the Empire back to about half the map, then because save isn't working, ended up quiting.
Overall I like the game, but it definately needs some fixes already. I only hope that some of the things I mentioned were already fixed since the demo is actually several months old (which begs the question, why not release it sooner?)