lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: To the Devs: a question about multiplayer
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-19-2006, 01:03 AM   #1
jigjigga
Lurker

To the Devs: a question about multiplayer

The demo doesn't explain this, so here goes:

Will multiplayer be 1 on 1, or will it be team v team?

1 on 1 I bet is in, but is team v team? That would be just awesome. Say 4v4 this lets commanders talk and communicate and coordinate attacks etc. with eachother on a team. Wouldnt' neccessarily be too difficult to implement (assuming 1v1 is in there and you guys are motivated ). This would be the killer app, so to speak, of the game. A lan party classic if done.

Last edited by jigjigga; 01-19-2006 at 01:57 AM.
jigjigga is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-19-2006, 04:49 AM   #2
Spartan025
Rookie

wel actually if you seen the interview they said that it would have both or trying to, but i m not sure been about 6 month since I watched it
Spartan025 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-19-2006, 05:28 AM   #3
Jaymz

That's an interesting question. If there really is more than 1v1 then i wonder how will space / ground battles go... that is, if one player attacks another in a 2v2, will the team get shared control during the battle? will the other players just spectate?
Jaymz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-19-2006, 06:42 AM   #4
Admiral Sith

They will there is a Galactic Conquest multiplayer mode that allows 3-4 players to play together under one faction. IE There will only be one Empire but 4 players can control different parts of it.

"It may be that the old astrologers had the truth exactly reversed, when they believed that the stars controlled the destinies of men. The time may come when men control the destinies of stars." -Arthur C. Clarke

"Ideals are like stars: you will not succeed in touching them with your hands, but like the seafaring man on the ocean desert of waters, you choose them as your guides, and following them, you reach your destiny." -Carl Schurz
Admiral Sith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-19-2006, 06:45 AM   #5
Bossz
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Sith
They will there is a Galactic Conquest multiplayer mode that allows 3-4 players to play together under one faction. IE There will only be one Empire but 4 players can control different parts of it.
Where did they say that? It is 1vs1 in Galactic Conquest and up to 8 players on Skirmish battles.
Bossz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-19-2006, 01:19 PM   #6
Darth_Torpid-PG
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigjigga
The demo doesn't explain this, so here goes:

Will multiplayer be 1 on 1, or will it be team v team?

1 on 1 I bet is in, but is team v team? That would be just awesome. Say 4v4 this lets commanders talk and communicate and coordinate attacks etc. with eachother on a team. Wouldnt' neccessarily be too difficult to implement (assuming 1v1 is in there and you guys are motivated ). This would be the killer app, so to speak, of the game. A lan party classic if done.

The full galactic conquest mode multiplayer is 1v1 only. Tactical multiplayer (space or land battles) can be up to 4v4.

-Darth Torpid
-Game Designer
-Petroglyph
Darth_Torpid-PG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-19-2006, 03:47 PM   #7
jigjigga
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Torpid-PG
The full galactic conquest mode multiplayer is 1v1 only. Tactical multiplayer (space or land battles) can be up to 4v4.
aah It would be AWESOME to have teams in galactic conquest. They shouldn't be allowed to have multiple people do battle, for example, but they could each control a certain sector and if need be send troops or fleets to an ally's system. Oh well.
jigjigga is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-19-2006, 05:49 PM   #8
Spartan025
Rookie

Yeah I knew I heard it somewhere
my memories are comming back it was in gamespot video when they interview someone(dont remember who)
Old 01-21-2006, 12:06 PM   #9
Spartan025
Rookie

I have a question if its a secret alright sorry I ask but
how are we going to play skimishes if you play on only one landmass or space(how do we get resources)

Dont underestimate the power of a Spartan
Old 01-21-2006, 12:13 PM   #10
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
A skirmish is single player only, isn't it? I imagine resource wise you'd just start with a bunch of money, at least that's how it's done in other games. Or perhaps you automatically get a certain "income" over time, as you did in Emperor: Battle for Dune, on the planets other than Arrakis (without the spice).

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2006, 04:07 PM   #11
Teradyn
Rookie

Darth_Torpid, do you think that there would be any way to use the skirmish interface to have more than 2 people connect for a galactic game, or would that be something only available in the engine (.exe) itself?

If we could somehow get the different people connected, how would tactical battles handle the players that are not directly involved, would they be observers?

This brings up another question, are there observer slots in the multiplayer skirmish modes?
Teradyn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > EaW General Discussion > Tech Centre > Empire At War: Demo feedback > To the Devs: a question about multiplayer