lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Suggestion for Expansion
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-20-2006, 11:11 AM   #1
RC2080
Rookie

Suggestion for Expansion

Yes, I am well aware that the actual game is not out yet, but I wanted to post this before I forget..

It may be too late to implement this now, but it would be pretty cool if you could add yourself as a hero. Like, have an Imperial/Rebel officer that you could name yourself and select a few a few special abilities and then be able to use yourself in combat and stuff. This could be expanded to include you losing the battle if your unit is defeated, which could be balanced by having your hero unit have a few extra special abilities. You would also be able to have a flagship during spacebattles and some kind of command post or something in land battles.

RC2080 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-20-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
Servercat
Rookie

Personally I'd rather have a Clone Wars expansion ^_^ Clone Wars ships and vessels are much more interesting...but that's not likely to happen
Servercat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-20-2006, 01:02 PM   #3
RC2080
Rookie

Well.. I'm sure if they do make an expansion, it won't just add ONE feature..

Old 01-20-2006, 01:47 PM   #4
popcorn2008
Little Green Friend

This has nothing to do with the demo at all so im moving this to the Galatic Discussion.

> Lucas Forums Moderator
> Petroglyph Forums Moderator
> Unofficial Petroglyph Fan Forums Global Moderator
popcorn2008 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-20-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
Darth_Extas

Well... The interesting thing that is likely is that it will be a clone wars expansion because demo itself already has 50+ models that are not in the game, this might hint the clone wars expansion.

Although they can only be gained through a modding of the game... It is still possible. I have forgotten if there was any other hints of the expansion...That we found in our previous descussions involving a similar matter.

Sig made by Princess Lyla

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=20872

The Sith will always be around as long as there is hate in the Galaxy.

Dark Hands of the Empire(Clan Member)
Darth_Extas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-20-2006, 02:19 PM   #6
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
I really don't see how they can go forward in the timeline, due to the fact that you change history in the game. So if they were to ever make an expansion, it will have to be Clone Wars. I certainly hope they do make an expansion... if only for the Venator
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-20-2006, 04:44 PM   #7
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWarsPhreak
I really don't see how they can go forward in the timeline, due to the fact that you change history in the game. So if they were to ever make an expansion, it will have to be Clone Wars. I certainly hope they do make an expansion... if only for the Venator
That is a good point Phreak. I never thought of it like that how you change history, I always figured there'd be an ESB expansion. But seeing as that wouldn't make sense, clone wars would be sweet.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-20-2006, 05:38 PM   #8
darthfergie
Q-38 Modulator

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC2080
Yes, I am well aware that the actual game is not out yet, but I wanted to post this before I forget..

It may be too late to implement this now, but it would be pretty cool if you could add yourself as a hero. Like, have an Imperial/Rebel officer that you could name yourself and select a few a few special abilities and then be able to use yourself in combat and stuff. This could be expanded to include you losing the battle if your unit is defeated, which could be balanced by having your hero unit have a few extra special abilities. You would also be able to have a flagship during spacebattles and some kind of command post or something in land battles.
Don't worry, I don't expect you to have gone 5 pages back in the threads, but we did already talk about the create yourself prospect, thought you might find it informative.
Hope you find some of the opinions helpful.

darthfergie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-20-2006, 09:50 PM   #9
RC2080
Rookie

Ah, my bad.. sorry.. hehe, I thought it was a brilliant idea while I was in the shower that morning :P

Old 01-21-2006, 11:21 PM   #10
Dirk Pitt
Rookie

Location: On the Bridge of the Executor(im one of the guys doin nothin on the controls)
Technically you couldnt create a Clone Wars. What if the CIS won, then the rebellion or the empire would never exist. I love the game but LA did not set this game up for a expansion from the looks of it.
Dirk Pitt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2006, 06:38 AM   #11
zeni
Rookie

lol, but if the empire would win in the game now, ep 5,6 would never exist!^^

i think it would be a great idea to make an cw expansion, i would buy it for shure!

If somebody sees a mistake in my texts he may keep it
HEY PLZ BRING BACK VENATOR WITH PATCH 1.1!!!!!!!
I NEED IT!

zeni is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2006, 11:08 AM   #12
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Pitt
Technically you couldnt create a Clone Wars. What if the CIS won, then the rebellion or the empire would never exist. I love the game but LA did not set this game up for a expansion from the looks of it.
Technically, the Republic and CIS both lost, and the Galactic Empire won.

It can be done similar to SWGB's Clone Campaigns. It was like a separate game, and didn't effect the original game.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-30-2006, 11:32 PM   #13
Rok_stoned

Current Game: Life.
Quote:
Never thought about the Republic losing...

Any ways, I doubt they'll add EU factions so if anything it will be Clone Wars era factions. Adding advanced Confederacy or Republic would be awesome! Think of all the freedom they'd have: Technology would have advanced so there'd be über versions of all conferderacy units and republic (imagine a new V-Wing).

Rok_stoned is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2006, 12:36 AM   #14
Delphi-PG
Rookie

Expansion ehh.

*Evil Grin*

Delphi
Lead Game Designer (EAW: Forces of Corruption)
Petroglyph
Delphi-PG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2006, 06:18 AM   #15
Orao

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWarsPhreak

Nah the Republic was reorganized into the Empire which means that the Republic won it.

I actually love how Lucas followed the history of Rome. Just recall it.

During Roman republic roman senate voted an extraodinary powers to the first consul because of the barbar invasions on the northern borders which threatened Rome itself. After the attacks were repelled and the northern borders secured the first consul turned the republic into the Empire.

BTW the firs counsoul was elected by the senat and the senat was elected by roman citizens.

EaW: Total Realism
mod....
TR mod team status: TR Advisor, programmer, map maker, Multimedia developer
Orao is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2006, 08:22 AM   #16
Thrawn
Grand Admiral

Expansion will most likely be ESB and ROTJ. However, a sequel called Republic At War has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

"Politicians campaign in poetry and govern in prose."
ThRaWn90,RAL_Thrawn,HPGR_Thrawn, Rogue 6
Born And Bred In XWA Country
Thrawn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2006, 01:30 PM   #17
shadowsfm

a unit i feel is missing in this game, that id like to see in the expantion or modded in, is a stormtrooper with a deplyable laser cannon, like in esb just before the falcon leaves echo base. because imps only have 2 type of infintry while the rebs have 3, (not including major and minor heros)

also cool ideas are:
reb swoop
boats and subs
x-wings and tie fighters that act like snowspeeder
do rebs have a anti-air vihicle?
shadowsfm is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2006, 01:38 PM   #18
GhOsT-Jedi
Rookie

Location: Past the outer rims of the universe training my sith armies.
To be honest, we can judge if there wont be a forward expansion untel we beat the game. Think about it, they could do a cut, or what ever its called, and leave you hanging. Lets say, it has the first death star destroyed, it could end there, or what if it stop when the empire cntrols all of the universe but hoth, then there could be a forward expansion

GhOsT-Jedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2006, 04:45 PM   #19
shadowsfm

could be like lego star wars, where each movie part dont realy influnce each other
shadowsfm is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2006, 05:13 PM   #20
Tyler_Durden

for those wanting a Clone Wars expansion, go here: www.imperialassault.com
Tyler_Durden is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2006, 07:49 PM   #21
Naso
Rookie

Uh an expansion is not going to pick up your save games so it's not like it really matters who wins..... If you win and conquer the galaxy, that doesn't leave much room for an expansion either by that sort of logic. Clone Wars would be really fun, though I'm sort of curious about the whole EU post Endor deal, because that would allow for lots of factions and political maneuvering. For marketability they'd probably need to keep it to recognizable movie stuff though. THough come to think about it, aside from *maybe* the a-wings, do we have content confirmed in the main game that goes beyond ESB?
Naso is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2006, 05:41 PM   #22
Dirk Pitt
Rookie

Location: On the Bridge of the Executor(im one of the guys doin nothin on the controls)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden
for those wanting a Clone Wars expansion, go here: www.imperialassault.com
Thats a mod, not an expansion. If an expansion came out you would probably be able to be the GE RA CIS OR the old republic,

The Imperial Security Squadron at http://iss-hq.net
Dirk Pitt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2006, 07:34 PM   #23
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
I wouldn't mind a Clone Wars expansion? Though not so soon.

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2006, 07:50 PM   #24
popcorn2008
Little Green Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naso
Uh an expansion is not going to pick up your save games so it's not like it really matters who wins..... If you win and conquer the galaxy, that doesn't leave much room for an expansion either by that sort of logic. Clone Wars would be really fun, though I'm sort of curious about the whole EU post Endor deal, because that would allow for lots of factions and political maneuvering. For marketability they'd probably need to keep it to recognizable movie stuff though. THough come to think about it, aside from *maybe* the a-wings, do we have content confirmed in the main game that goes beyond ESB?
Expansions can do anything the programmers can program It would be pretty cool if somehow you could use your results from the first EaW and they somehow affect you in the expansion, no?

> Lucas Forums Moderator
> Petroglyph Forums Moderator
> Unofficial Petroglyph Fan Forums Global Moderator
popcorn2008 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2006, 08:18 PM   #25
TIE_Snake
Rookie

Hello,

Maybe, as some have said, the expansion should be based pon episodes 5 and 6, focusing on the second death star, so it would allow you to change SW history as far as episode 6, and we would have the ships everyone asked for, like TIE interceptors, Bwing, Dreads, maybe...and so on.
TIE_Snake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2006, 08:55 PM   #26
Naso
Rookie

Uh, yeah, they could program a nice little feature in that loads up your old game file in which you conquered the galaxy and reset it.....
Old 02-02-2006, 11:23 PM   #27
Rok_stoned

Quote:
Nah the Republic was reorganized into the Empire which means that the Republic won it.
Yeah but here the thing: Did they reallly win? Lets look at the facts
first I will aknowledge the fact that the Seperatists were defeated but they were created and manipulated by the Sith? Doesn't that make them not a real enemy if they were just a fascade, a tool to inconspicously gain the Sith power? Also the Sith took over the republic the ultimate goal of Sith in the past. AND the Republic died, it literally died and all its leaders were replaced changing it forever.

Old 02-03-2006, 12:46 AM   #28
aggie_john
Rookie

I would love to see what they could do with the clone wars. I think the greater numbers of jedi would create some intresting match ups in how to balance out jedi vs droids. I respect what has already been done this would be a new challenge for Petroglyph, something I would like to see them work out. I think if done right the force can be exciting while still remaining reasonable as to not effect normal tactics to much.

I also think if they did create the clone wars factions as new factions they would also try to give the OT only fans some things as well. There is no reason why they could not add a few new ships/troops.vehicles and options to the old OT factions as well.
aggie_john is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2006, 12:52 AM   #29
Iamme
Rookie

You realize that modders can do ANYTHING the official programmers can do once the hardcoded functionality is in. Provided the mods are of high quality you've laready got your expansion.
Iamme is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2006, 10:58 AM   #30
aggie_john
Rookie

We yeah but the hard code stuff is what I ment. I am fully aware of IA 2 and the Legacy mod. However, with the addition of so many new jedi, meaning different force powers and what not. The game may evolve a bit. Not to mention the fact that as we play the game with the OT factions we may come up with ideals that change the game on some hardcoded level. No offense was intended toward the modders.
aggie_john is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2006, 12:02 PM   #31
Matthes
Rookie

would love to see from both, earlier and later movies
and maybe some campaigns from the books / comics

or maybe some alternative storylines
Matthes is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2006, 07:21 PM   #32
Naso
Rookie

What would be great for an expansion would be an option you toggle, to allow more tactical space battles, like starfleet command lite or something or maybe some homeworldesque 3D. The demo is great fun, but it would be great if we could get even more thoughtful fleet battles for thoses who want them.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:09 PM   #33
Rok_stoned

Quote:
You realize that modders can do ANYTHING the official programmers can do once the hardcoded functionality is in. Provided the mods are of high quality you've laready got your expansion.
You know what? You are right. In fact I dare say that modders can do a better job than the original programmers through sheer zeal. But y'know what? people don't like free stuff no matter how much better it is, we'll always have it that way because people are paranoid and automaticaly assume higher price equals higher value. Good examples of this include bottled water and Linux. If this ever changes we're in for a better world but until then corporations have us in their grip.

If anyone reads this I compel them to use die The Gimp rather than foto photoshop, It's the taster's choice!

Last edited by Rok_stoned; 02-04-2006 at 01:02 AM.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:14 PM   #34
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok_stoned
Good examples of this include bottled water and Linux.
No, Ubuntu is the best Linux and it's free.

But you make some good points, I'll bet modders can make a full expansion for this game as long as enough of the source is included and not hardcoded.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-04-2006, 01:10 AM   #35
Rok_stoned

Quote:
No, Ubuntu is the best Linux and it's free.
Ubuntu? Is that "red" linux

One angle that Petro-Glyph should work is adding imroved mod tools or else modders might not buy the expo as they might not even need or want it. It's too bad Linux hasn't caught on, It's far superior in nearly every aspect. If it ever does catch on though well, we'll be laughing about how long Microsoft stood for considering its last version (XP) actually actually copied linux.

Thanks for your kind words though, I kinda feel like the Homsar of LF.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:53 AM   #36
robotvman
Lurker

i think a game like this for the clone wars should be its own game.

a possible expansion for EaW would porbably be the New Republic fighting the Imperial Rement and the Yuuzhan vong
robotvman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2006, 03:01 AM   #37
Nakatomi2010
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphi-PG
Expansion ehh.

*Evil Grin*

Just make it as good as Aftermath, if not better....

If there's ANY time period I'd love to play in, it'd be the Thrawn one....

And the Clone Wars..
Nakatomi2010 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2006, 11:46 AM   #38
RC2080
Rookie

E-Wings for the win!

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > EaW General Discussion > Galactic Discussion > Suggestion for Expansion