lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: The petroglyph paradox
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2006, 09:54 AM   #1
endurell
Rookie

The petroglyph paradox

Hi everyone, normally I wouldn't post a rant like this but in this case I can't help myself, I would really enjoy some feedback to see if anyone other people (especially alliance players) have been having the same qualms with EaW.

Many of these same topics have been discussed here before, but when you put them all together it spells certain doom for alliance players.

Petroglyph has strived in empire at war to make a game that isn't restricted by the normal hindrances of a RTS; also one that isn't "bogged down" by the "burden" of persistent damage and politics. (Oh my gosh you have to think!!! Heaven forbid. )

Now, this results in a game that is more "game like" than realistic. This in itself is not a problem, however, if you take into consideration the fact that they have gone to anal-retentive lengths to make the Empire as powerful as possible (E.G. Quality ships, more ships, FREE FIGHTERS, three jedi-characters, etc, etc, etc...) you can see the Petroglyph paradox:

On the one hand, they have this concept that the game shouldn't be "too realistic" in the sense that you shouldn't have to deal with damage/politics/resource gathering/etc...and yet they are making sure that is "completely realistic" in regards to the balance of power between the empire and the rebellion. (In other words the empire outnumbers the alliance 100 to 1 in many senses of the word.)

This leaves the rebellion with almost NO advantages over the empire. Let's go through some examples.

1. The empire has taken all the planets needed to build the death star and researched all the needed technologies. So they build it, and send their fleet to the nearest rebel stronghold planet using their massive fleet to clear the orbital forces without major losses. Then they send the death star in, and blow up the planet. The galaxy is outraged at the loss of millions of lives to the empire, dissent begins on some imperial words, and some even join the rebellion becau- oh wait, no politics. Never mind.

2. Ok, ok, let's try this. An imperial probe droid has located a major rebel planet, that is protected by their strongest fleet. The empire begins building a fleet capable of destroying the rebellion fleet. The alliance finds out about this, and sends in a strike force to damage the imperial fleet so that the fledgling alliance fleet will have more time to build up their forces. In a daring raid against the imperials they manage to destroy (or at the very least disable) most of the imperial fleet. The strike force was completely wiped out, giving the alliance the time they needed to build up their for- oh wait, instant repair!! The imperial fleet swooped down and crushed the rebel fleet about 10 minutes after the strike force.

3. One of the greatest advantages of the alliance was their supposed "spy network" which gave them the ability to know what the empire was up to. However, from playing the demo I've found that you can't see the fleets, the ground troops, or (most of the time) the fleet movements of the empire. So I'm guessing in order to get that stuff you have to put a rebel infiltrator in place on each planet....which means *drum roll* it's no better than the empire's probe droid!!! So much for that.

4. Heroes. I don't really need to go into detail about this, but the fact that Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine, Mara Jade, and Boba Fett are all on the Imperial VIP list...makes Mon Mothma, Luke Skywalker, and Kyle Katarn look like pansies. One other thing on this subject, one of the victory conditions is “kill the enemy leader”. Now, who do you think is harder to kill: Mon Mothma, or the Emperor? I’ll leave that to your capable imaginations.

I'm going to leave it at that, thanks for reading.

------------------------------------------------------
Viva la Wisconsin!
endurell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > EaW General Discussion > Galactic Discussion > The petroglyph paradox